Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

A few of the major federations (Canada, USA and Sweden) and the NHL have asked for an increase in players because of injury.

Though its not official yet ?

----

Also the NHL is concerned with the hotel being 5 borders away from the breakway republic of Abkhazia.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically no, she has guaranteed selection by the Canadian federation.

Its one of the weird things about FIS.

Canada (and the USA) have a strict set of criteria to select athletes, using the same/similar criteria that FIS uses for the final quotas. Once an athlete reaches the standard level of performance, they guarantee themselves selection. Canada will likely have its team set before qualification officially ends on Jan 19.

Which in other terms means she has qualified

She can still fail to be selected if she doesn't have a top 12 next year. Or if Canada has more pre-selected athletes than quotas (not going to happen, granted).

Also, why is Canada only sending one male luge slider at the next games?

Canada hosted the competition and both 24th and 25th are junior athletes.

According to the qualification system the world cups at the end of this year will be used. So if those two compete and score high enough then Canada will have 3. At this point though only Edney has been competing at WC so he has met the qualification criteria.

• 3 weeks later...

Only 10 alpine skiers would qualify for Sochi according to the FIS as of Feb 28

Wasn't the situation similarely grim a year out of Vancouver?

World Figure Skating Championships begin this week in London and results will determine the number of spots for Sochi.

I predict 3 in all disciplines, except Ladies where I predict up and comer Kaetlyn Osmond to get Canada 2 spots.

Spots are determined by adding the placements of the two top placements per country, the placements must be 13 or less for 3 spots. One top 10 finish gets 2 spots.

Also, this is the first championship where skaters needed to meet a minimum technical score in order to compete.

Should be an interesting week in London, Ontario

World Figure Skating Championships begin this week in London and results will determine the number of spots for Sochi.

I predict 3 in all disciplines, except Ladies where I predict up and comer Kaetlyn Osmond to get Canada 2 spots.

Spots are determined by adding the placements of the two top placements per country, the placements must be 13 or less for 3 spots. One top 10 finish gets 2 spots.

Also, this is the first championship where skaters needed to meet a minimum technical score in order to compete.

Should be an interesting week in London, Ontario

Probably explains why only 18 pairs are present in London.

Figure Skating worlds have ended and Canada performed extremely well. Canada will send 3 in all disciplines, except Ladies, where there will be 2, which was the most possible from the one skater present. Canada looks to be the favourite to also win the Team Event at the Olympics with the showing in London.

Actually it is possible to win 3 spots in figure skating with one competing. The single entry must place first or second for three spots at the Olympics.

Canada's is a powerhouse this time with good talent across all four disciplines and other countries have glaring gaps in one or more. I'd say the team gold is Canada's to lose.

Actually it is possible to win 3 spots in figure skating with one competing. The single entry must place first or second for three spots at the Olympics.

Canada's is a powerhouse this time with good talent across all four disciplines and other countries have glaring gaps in one or more. I'd say the team gold is Canada's to lose.

I agree 2 possibly 3 golds in figure skating should be the goal for Sochi.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Canadian Olympic Committee in Sochi plotting strategy for 2014 Games
DONNA SPENCER
The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, Jun. 19 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, Jun. 19 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
rings.JPG
From piping Canadian television coverage into the athletes’ village to locating soy milk for the lactose-intolerant Olympian, no detail is too small in pursuit of a gold medal.
That’s the philosophy of the Canadian Olympic Committee team currently in Sochi, Russia, inspecting the 2014 Winter Olympic sites.
Chief executive officer Chris Overholt, chief sport officer Caroline Assalian and chief marketing officer Derek Kent are part of a group determining what Canada’s athletes will require to win medals Feb. 7-23 in Sochi.
Canada’s objective is to win the overall medal count.
“The difference between finishing first or second, or finishing off the podium and on the podium, it’s become so competitive that any athlete can win on any particular day,” Assalian explained Wednesday from Sochi.
“We know if we help that performance and it’s a fraction-of-a-second difference, it will make the difference between winning or not winning.
“That medal could make the difference between finishing first overall and not.”
This is the 11th visit by the COC to Sochi. This fact-finding mission concludes June 27.
Assalian hasn’t found security overbearing, even though the Boston Marathon bombings in April and the suspects’ links to the unstable Russian province of Dagestan sparked concerns the Sochi Games will be an armed camp.
“It’s not invasive. It’s normal,” Assalian said. “We feel very safe. We’re walking around and walking around on our own.”
The Sochi venues are located in two hubs — coastal and mountain.
The stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies, indoor sport venues and one of three athletes’ villages are located within the coastal hub in Sochi.
Their proximity eliminates the transportation headaches athletes often experience at Games, Assalian points out.
“The athletes worry about ‘where am I sleeping, is my room and my bed comfortable, what am I eating, am I getting the right food, how far is it for me to go to training and where is my competition site?“’ she explains.
“The big thing here is everything is so close. The athletes are living, eating, training and competing within walking distance.”
In addition to the athletes, the COC must also anticipate the needs of their coaches and families, sport-science and medical staff and sponsors.
“It’s being responsible for 600 people every day under any circumstance,” Assalian said.
“It’s as small and as critical as being able to watch Canadian (television) coverage in Sochi in a foreign land.”
“The figure skaters and hockey players will see each other in the village, but they also want to know how the boblsedders are doing and how the freestyle skiers are doing.”
Hotel accommodation is not as abundant in the Black Sea resort city as it was at the last three Olympic Games in London, Vancouver and Beijing.
Assalian foresees the COC going the extra mile to make sure Olympians’ families are taken care of, so the athletes don’t worry.
“It may be one step removed from the competition, but you know the athletes care about where mom and dad are staying and how are they getting to the venues,” she said.
The COC is also looking at airlines with direct flights from European cities into Sochi, in order to shorten travel for Canadians at training camps and World Cup events there prior to the Games.
Sochi is currently an enormous construction site and the COC team has experienced gridlock, Assalian said. She believes congestion will be eased with the completion of a train system.
She added that the COC will meet with the Sochi organizing committee starting Friday.
The location of Canada’s quarters in the villages and Canada Olympic House, where athletes meet friends and family, are among items to be discussed.

The Globe and Mail

• 2 months later...

Archived