Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

GOVERNMENT FUNDING PRIMES CANADA'S ATHLETES FOR SOCHI

97182840-430x296.jpg

THE CANADIAN PRESS

1/24/2013 2:43:24 PM

CALGARY -- The federal government is priming the financial pump for Canada's athletes with the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, just over a year away.

Bal Gosal, the minister of state for sport, says that almost $40 million will be spent on Canada's winter athletes this winter.
Anne Merklinger, the head of Own The Podium, says that's more money in going into an Olympic and Paralympic Games than ever before.
Many of Canada's winter athletes have world championships coming up in the next few weeks.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sochi 2014: Chris Del Bosco is in search of Olympic redemption

By Dustin Pollack – Wed, 23 Jan, 2013 4:57 PM EST

Chris-Del-Bosco.jpg

Chris Del Bosco is a medal hopeful for Canada looking ahead to the 2014 Sochi Olympics. (Getty Images)

Chris Del Bosco has come a long way in three years.

As a Canadian Olympian in ski cross at the 2010 Games Del Bosco was moments away from capturing bronze before a

in Vancouver dashed his hopes at a medal.

However, rather than allowing the disappointing finish define his Olympic career, Del Bosco has maintained his position near the top of the sport and appears to be a medal hopeful for Canada once again in Sochi with the Games just over a year away.

The 30-year-old won gold at both the FIS Freestyle World Ski Championships in 2011 – an event that happens once every two years – and the Winter X Games in 2012.

“I have the experience of the one Olympics now; I’d never competed at that level before,” Del Bosco said in an interview Wednesday.

It’s definitely different; all the emphasis is put on that one event, that one day every four years. I think I have a little better handle on it now. I’ve definitely put in the work and feel like I’m ready.”

Del Bosco was one of a handful of Canadian Olympic athletes in attendance at the Hotel Le Germain in downtown Toronto Wednesday as Canadian Tire announced a new eight-year partnership with Canada’s Olympic team.

CEO of Canadian Tire Stephen Wetmore says the new agreement “gives greater financial stability to athletes in training to showcase the best of Canada on the world stage” and it’s a position he believes his Corporation should have been in a long time ago.

The new partnership will also extend to other Canadian sports organizations including the Canadian Paralympic Committee, the Canadian Soccer Association, Skate Canada, Hockey Canada and Alpine Canada.

“It’s huge for us as a program to have sponsors like Canadian Tire on board and in the bigger picture, for them to be a partner with the Canadian Olympic Committee is huge,” Del Bosco said of the new partnership.

“We have one of the best programs in the world with the ski cross team and it wouldn’t be possible without this support.

We wouldn’t have the coaches, support staff, technicians, everybody plays a key piece in the puzzle and without any one of them we wouldn’t be able to do it.”

Canada had

and it will be the opportunity to repeat that success that will fuel many Canadian athletes who will head to Sochi a year from now. For Del Bosco however, the next Olympics will be a shot at redemption.

“I put myself in a position in Vancouver to win a medal,” he said. “I don’t regret what happened there, it was a learning experience. I’ll just try and put that in the back of my mind and see what we can do in Sochi.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/sochi-2014-chris-del-bosco-search-olympic-redemption-215736902.html

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's pretty unlikely. I don't put a lot of stock in the previous WCHs. If that were true, Russia would have kicked ass in London. 10 to 12 would be actually be a really good result.

I think anywhere from 8 to 15 is likely, probably centrally distributed around 10. A lot has to go well for Canada to get 15 but its not in the realm of the unreasonable. Really if everything was to go perfectly (which it won't) it could push close to 20. But that would require some spectacular form in sports that are known for having a lot of variance, so statistically its very very unlikely to happen.

I think anywhere from 8 to 15 is likely, probably centrally distributed around 10. A lot has to go well for Canada to get 15 but its not in the realm of the unreasonable. Really if everything was to go perfectly (which it won't) it could push close to 20. But that would require some spectacular form in sports that are known for having a lot of variance, so statistically its very very unlikely to happen.

And we can't forget possible surprises like Biathlon (leguellec won gold in a WC event this season), alpine (last two World champions are Canadian men), cross country (canada won gold at the last world championships).

I'm hoping for 30 medals with 9-14 golds. Can Canada break its own record of 14 golds? I hope so :)

Question: How will we fare in the new events added to the 2014 program? There's a lot of new Gold medals up for grabs here.

-Ski Halfpipe Men's & Women's

-Women's Ski Jumping

-Biathlon Mixed Relay

-Figure Skating Team Event

-Luge team Relay

I'm hoping for 30 medals with 9-14 golds. Can Canada break its own record of 14 golds? I hope so :)

Question: How will we fare in the new events added to the 2014 program? There's a lot of new Gold medals up for grabs here.

-Women's Ski Jumping

-Biathlon Mixed Relay

-Luge team Relay

I just quickly found out myself if we had any medal contenders in these new disciplines:

Women's Ski Jumping - None

Ski Halfpipe - 1 in Women's

Biathlon Mixed Relay - None

Figure Skating Team Event - Medal contenders

Luge Team Relay - Medal contenders

I guess that PDF is out of date. More sports were added after that. In total, there will be 12 more Gold medal up for grabs in Sochi.

-Ski Slopestyle Men's & Women's

-Snowboard Slopestyle Men's & Women's

-Snowboard Parallel Special Slalom Men's & Women's

-Women's Ski Jumping
-Biathlon Mixed Relay

-Luge team Relay

Boy do I feel so not in the loop. I had no idea all these extra events were added on for 2014. lol

-Women's Ski Jumping

-Biathlon Mixed Relay

-Luge team Relay

Essentially:

Ski Halfpipe: gold medal posibility both on the men's and women's side, though I'd say the US is slightly favoured to win both events. The big countries in those events are Canada, the US and France. Also expect a kiwi in the finals.

Women's ski jumping: Canada should qualify 2-3 athletes. A top 8 is possible (look for Atsuko Tanaka to do well) but a medal is highly unlikely. Not impossible, but close to it. The likeliest medalists will be from Japan, the US, France, Austria and Slovenia.

Biathlon Mixed Relay: Canada seems to do even worse in this than in the men's and women's relays. Norway and France are both doing well. This event seems very prone to upsets, though.

Team Figure Skating: this is a total crapshoot. Canada should get a medal, maybe gold, but considering the Olympic format has never been used in competition before its hard to know.

Luge Team Relay: a medal is likely for Canada, as they have consistently been about as good as any non-German team. A gold medal would require the Gemrans to do a fairly major mistake.

Ski Slopestyle: we have the best team on the women's side, though we are weaker on the men's side (still in contention for a medal, but not favoured).

Snowboard Slopestyle: we definitively have the best team on the men's side (we're talking at least three athletes with a good shot at gold) and we have a medal contender on the women's side.

Snowboard Parallel Slalom: a medal is possible but not likely.

Overall a good crop of events for both Canada and the US.

Essentially:

Ski Halfpipe: gold medal posibility both on the men's and women's side, though I'd say the US is slightly favoured to win both events. The big countries in those events are Canada, the US and France. Also expect a kiwi in the finals.

Women's ski jumping: Canada should qualify 2-3 athletes. A top 8 is possible (look for Atsuko Tanaka to do well) but a medal is highly unlikely. Not impossible, but close to it. The likeliest medalists will be from Japan, the US, France, Austria and Slovenia.

Biathlon Mixed Relay: Canada seems to do even worse in this than in the men's and women's relays. Norway and France are both doing well. This event seems very prone to upsets, though.

Team Figure Skating: this is a total crapshoot. Canada should get a medal, maybe gold, but considering the Olympic format has never been used in competition before its hard to know.

Luge Team Relay: a medal is likely for Canada, as they have consistently been about as good as any non-German team. A gold medal would require the Gemrans to do a fairly major mistake.

Ski Slopestyle: we have the best team on the women's side, though we are weaker on the men's side (still in contention for a medal, but not favoured).

Snowboard Slopestyle: we definitively have the best team on the men's side (we're talking at least three athletes with a good shot at gold) and we have a medal contender on the women's side.

Snowboard Parallel Slalom: a medal is possible but not likely.

Overall a good crop of events for both Canada and the US.

Thanks. With all these new events that highly favour the Canadians and Americans, we could possibly see our first ever 30plus medal count at a WOG. Great! :P

Thanks. With all these new events that highly favour the Canadians and Americans, we could possibly see our first ever 30plus medal count at a WOG. Great! :P

Also it seems that the men's Snowboard Slopestyle will be the first event to be completed (they are doing qualifications the day before opening ceremonies and the finals is ridiculously early on Saturday). So there is a chance of Canada getting a really early lead in the medal count :P

Also Pretorious a 17 year old ski jumper in the women's is the likely candian finishing the highest imo.

Duno. They are both pretty close in skill and while Tanaka is older she has been consistently ranking above Pretorious this year.

Either way, both are pretty far from the medals. And considering how well a lot of teenegers are doing (Hendrickson, Mattel, Takanashi, Insam, Pozun...) its hard for me to imagin Pretorious ever being a serious contender. But we'll see.

Duno. They are both pretty close in skill and while Tanaka is older she has been consistently ranking above Pretorious this year.

Either way, both are pretty far from the medals. And considering how well a lot of teenegers are doing (Hendrickson, Mattel, Takanashi, Insam, Pozun...) its hard for me to imagin Pretorious ever being a serious contender. But we'll see.

I think Pretorious won a gold medal at an event last year idk

Canada's medal predictions

Alpine Skiing: 0-1 medal

Biathlon: 0 medals

Bobsleigh: 2 medals

Cross Country Skiing: 0-1 medal

Curling: 2 medals

Figure Skating: 2-4 medals

Freestyle Skiing: 7-9 medals

Hockey: 2 medals

Luge: 1-2 medals

Nordic Combined: 0 medals

Short Track Speed Skating: : 6-9 medals

Skeleton: 1-2 medals

Ski Jumping: 0 medals

Snowboarding: 3-6 medals

Long Track Speed Skating: 4-6 medals

My guestimate: 28-35 medals #2 in Overall Medals behind the USA#1, Germany in #3, Russia #4, Norway #5

Archived