Albertville 2020?

Could be a good opportunity to revisit the likes of Lake Placid and Sarajevo.

Albertville doesn't interest me too much though. I sometimes wish 1992 had just been a second Grenoble Games.

Sarajevo would probably need too much rebuilding.

^^ The Ski jumps are being rebuilt, the Zetra arena is existing and renovated, so that's not a problem.

Skenderija will need renovating due to the roof collapse.

As for the likes of the Sliding track, if sliding events were to be held, would require graffiti removal, new covers and concrete resurfacing. Ice would probably make it smooth enough anyways.

• 3 months later...

As someone has mentioned, a third WYOG in Europe makes the event even more boring.

I'd like to see it in Lake Placid in 2020. It would be a great opportunity to revisit an old friend, and could potentially help build momentum towards a potential US Olympics in 2024. In fact, if 2024 ended up in NYC, it could work quite well in terms of the Lake Placid 2020 organisation being tacked onto the side of a bigger NYC 2024 organising committee, almost like a throwback to the days of Paris/Chamonix 1924 and Berlin/Garmisch 1936... two Games, two locations, one organising body.

Yes!! Please no more Asia for YOG, and Europe for WYOG... Medellin and Lake Placid will host (if Lake Placid or wherever USA doesn't bids) an Eastern Europe bid will be nice, and will encourage that region for major bids in the future.

Same with the summer YOGs - I'm glad that there's no Asian bidder this time. Actually, that's assuming I have any interest in the YOGs - which I don't.

An Asian city would have been dumb to bid for 2018. I think 2018 in Glasgow should raise the profile a bit as its held in a better time zone for people that haven't been exposed already to the concept.

Same with the summer YOGs - I'm glad that there's no Asian bidder this time. Actually, that's assuming I have any interest in the YOGs - which I don't.

I know its been mentioned before so many times, but I still can't get my head around the point of the YOG. It is like Lausanne just got REALLY bored and needed to think of something to do. I thought the Olympics themselves ARE for the YOUTH. Isn't that the whole point? It's not like people under 18 are prevented from competing. I hope Australia never, ever bids on this, although I have a slight feeling we might see Gold Coast go for it after 2018, or perhaps Adelaide or Perth. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with our sporting history exclaiming that we've hosted the Olympics three times in "Melbourne in 1956, Sydney in 2000 and Wagga Wagga in 2022".

That said, I'd be really pissed off if NZ showed interest with Queenstown for the WYOG and the IOC put the seasonal issue back in their face. Beggars can't be choosers!

An Asian city would have been dumb to bid for 2018. I think 2018 in Glasgow should raise the profile a bit as its held in a better time zone for people that haven't been exposed already to the concept.

Ugh, Glasgow. I'm sure they are the most capable, but I'm getting British/Glasgow fatigue with London 2012 and Glasgow 2014 before it.

I'd like to see Medellin 2018 off the back of Rio 2016 momentum. Besides, I feel the YOG is designed for countries like Colombia to host (which have zero chance at the real deal) rather than for countries like the UK to cure their post Olympic blues.

Buenos Aires is better city than Medellin in too many asspects, but Medellin has that exotic vibe and will be something very refreshing for the YOG movement. Agree with runningrings, BA will be the next Latin American host... Someday.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm considering about the Barcelona 2042 YOG bid, as our upcoming generation can get a chance on reliving what we left on this generation.

As we have enough facilities, we may definitely need another olympic village, from an abandoned residential complex (Not just the ones near the Montjuich disctrict Olympic complex)

And Medellin is a no-go for me, because of a bloody history Pablo Escobar have left on the city, prior to his assasination in 1993

Archived