Another bidding competition?

2026 Commonwealth Games  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a 2026 Commonwealth Games competition?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why doesnt someone do Windhoek?

I did - in the original Comm Games comp. A tri-nation bid with Namibia, South Africa (only Jo'berg and Tshwane) and Botswana.

Despite offering very cheap airfares between the 4 host cities I was marked poorly in the evaluation report (written by myself) and voted out early/was a non-finalist (memory is fuzzy/repressed).

So basically you can all go to hell with Windhoek.

I'm going to do Las Vegas, USA as in June 2016 to help eleviate the crushing debt and to stimulate exports (as well as pissing off China after their failed invasion of Taiwan in 2015 caused the ongoing embargo of their goods), the USA rejoined the Commonwealth and as such are allowed to compete (and host) the CG's.

CONTRADICT ME AT YOUR PERIL!!! I CAN SEE THE FUTURE WHEN IT BENEFITS MY ARGUMENT!!!

I guess I don't have the Valletta bid book anymore, but it was from this competition: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/15869-the-commonwealth-games-2022-competition-final-round-and-report/

I did - in the original Comm Games comp. A tri-nation bid with Namibia, South Africa (only Jo'berg and Tshwane) and Botswana.

Despite offering very cheap airfares between the 4 host cities I was marked poorly in the evaluation report (written by myself) and voted out early/was a non-finalist (memory is fuzzy/repressed).

So basically you can all go to hell with Windhoek.

I'm going to do Las Vegas, USA as in June 2016 to help eleviate the crushing debt and to stimulate exports (as well as pissing off China after their failed invasion of Taiwan in 2015 caused the ongoing embargo of their goods), the USA rejoined the Commonwealth and as such are allowed to compete (and host) the CG's.

CONTRADICT ME AT YOUR PERIL!!! I CAN SEE THE FUTURE WHEN IT BENEFITS MY ARGUMENT!!!

ERR UMMM NO. This has to be a legitimate Commonwealth city. It can be the sticks for all I care, but no bids from the USA!

Appreciate your work tmp, but I want to make this as realistic as possible.

ERR UMMM NO. This has to be a legitimate Commonwealth city. It can be the sticks for all I care, but no bids from the USA!

Appreciate your work tmp, but I want to make this as realistic as possible.

It is realistic.

As stated the USA rejoined the Commonwealth 2016.

After they have embargoed China for a failed Taiwanese invasion.

Prove me wrong.

The pisspoor obvious logo will be posted later today legitimising my bid.

YOUR AUTHORITY IS BEING IGNORED AS YOU HAVE NOT PROVIDED A DOCUMENT INDICATING YOU ARE NOW, IN FACT, RULER OF THE WORLD!!!

It is realistic.

As stated the USA rejoined the Commonwealth 2016.

After they have embargoed China for a failed Taiwanese invasion.

Prove me wrong.

The pisspoor obvious logo will be posted later today legitimising my bid.

YOUR AUTHORITY IS BEING IGNORED AS YOU HAVE NOT PROVIDED A DOCUMENT INDICATING YOU ARE NOW, IN FACT, RULER OF THE WORLD!!!

Well then fine make a bid, it won't be in the vote off anyways, so you have nil chance of winning.

Oh Lord David - a few points.

1 - This is a fantasy bid competition. You are not the Commonwealth Games Federation. This is not a legally binding, host contract style bid race. There are no consequences. Lighten up.

2 - The USA has a standing invitation to join the Commonwealth. Who are you to state that the currently unimagineable turn of events as proposed by my good self are in way, mean or form unlikely? This is where the fantasy aspect kicks in.

3 - The vote off. Well there is your vote off and then there is mine. We can do this two ways - nice and friendly or I am all for a turf war of biblical proportions. I have been to this dance before (Dubai VS Christchurch anyone?) and I do believe this board is desperate for a good smackdown fight again.

4 - Shut the f*ck up.

5 - I am happy to submit a professional bid book/report/file. It will be ever so slightly tongue in cheek and may contain pictures of showgirls.

Of course I say all of this in a spirit of love and light.

LAS VEGAS 2026 - ALL IN.

Go ahead, but it probably, most likely, definitely won't be in the final vote.

It will be interesting to see your proposal.

I don't mean to be mean and all, but I just want this comp to follow current conventions, even if the US is eligible and joins in the future, this is not the case now. There's like 70 member nations out there to choose from and I'll be accepting bids from such places.

I won't be proceeding with Valetta - my old stuff must be on one of my old, old computers. And I'm going to be flat out at work for the next two weeks, then two weeks in the States, then back to more frantic work to catch up when I return to Oz. These bid comp things take a lot of effort I can't commit to at this stage.

So far we have:

Darwin, Australia - me

Durban, South Africa - George_D

Halifax, Canada - cormiermax

Calgary, Canada - olympicsfan97

Las Vegas - thatsnotmypuppy - You are free to make an entry, but this will most likely not be considered in the final vote (you will be subject to the final report by the CGF), or if it is all votes for LV will be void (just to see if you can win, or what percentage of votes you would have gotten. That being said, it's most likely that everyone will just vote for this null entry!) :P

The Halifax and Calgary bids will be subject to a domestic bid race. You can finish your entries by the due date, but we will have a vote off for both cities first, before the big one.

More details to follow this weekend.

Ok, I guess now's a good a time as any to get the ball rolling and provide the details of the bid.

You are to produce a bid book similar to the old Olympic Games format: Use the Paris 2012, London 2012 and Chicago 2016 books as a guide.

You are to replace any mention of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games with the Commonwealth Games and Para-Commonwealth Games respectively. (Due to the growing nature of the event, the CGF has decided to separate Elite Athletes with Disability, and allow them to have their own event).

The Commonwealth Games has now been redefined, by the CGF, in order to maintain relevance amongst major sporting events. As such 21 Sports (and several sub disciplines) have been defined, with reasonable baseline venue capacities. They can be found on the table below.

As a result, the Commonwealth Games has now been extended to 16 days of competition (17 days total), as opposed to the 10 days of the current format.

The Para-Commonwealth Games will be established in 2026 by the host nation. This event isn't the first in the Commonwealth Games, as Elite Athletes with Disability have competed within the Commonwealth Games in recent editions, as well as a 1 off event in 1962 held as the 1962 Commonwealth Paraplegic Games, which were held directly before the 1962 Perth Commonwealth Games.

However given the growing nature of the event, it has been decided to allow such athletes their own event, to be held 2 weeks after the Commonwealth Games, for 10 days of competition (11 days total).

Other requirements aside from the proposed venues are as follows:

- An official bid logo.

- An athlete/coaches/officials village capacity of at least 7,000 rooms/beds.

- Sufficient rooms for the media, a minimum of 3,000 rooms/beds (you can propose a purpose built media village for this).

- Spectator accommodation with at least 15,000 proper hotel rooms of varying star quality (if you have alternative accommodation, they can be included but will not be counted as part of the 15,000 figure, just as additional accommodation. Serviced apartments may be considered in the 15,000 total, if they meet the standards).

- A Main Press Centre capacity of 5,000 square metres.

- An International Broadcast Centre capacity of 20,000 square metres.

- Or a Main Media Centre capacity of 25,000 square metres.

- Appropriate charts filled out, like in the actual bid books (use a program like Excel for this).

- Reasonable venue/transport maps (they don't need to be uber-professional, just acceptable and easy to understand).

- Optional info (You may have close to unlimited "sponsors", but please make the figure reasonable. They (and their logo) may be listed in your bid book at the end.

- Optional language (if your bid comes from a mulch-language nation, then you may produce your bid in the other languages as well! :P) So in this case, any bid from Canada will be in English and French, whilst the Singaporean bid will be produced in English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil. :P J/K. :D

- Optional lobbying. You may at any time produce alternative articles for your bid such as a bid video or website. As for the website, try Wix, it's free and easy to use I'm told. Such lobbying may sway a bid, but the actual bid book should be enough to determine who is fit to host the 2026 Commonwealth and Para-Commonwealth Games.

- The bid book shall be submitted in pdf format, by the due date. Someone who is willing to do so, my apply to become the official assessment team and give a report of each city's bid and a score, much like the IOC.

Well here's the list of sports:

CommonwealthGamesSports_zps69d251f7.jpg

The due date for submitting your intent to bid is Friday the 1st of February. You will have a month to compete a basic old format Olympic style bid book.

The current bidders are:

Darwin, Australia - me

Durban, South Africa - George_D
Halifax, Canada - cormiermax

Calgary, Canada - olympicsfan97

Singapore, Singapore - DamC

Nassau, Bahamas - deawebo

Las Vegas - thatsnotmypuppy - You are free to make an entry, but this will most likely not be considered in the final vote (you will be subject to the final report by the CGF), or if it is all votes for LV will be void (just to see if you can win, or what percentage of votes you would have gotten. That being said, it's most likely that everyone will just vote for this null entry!) :P

As stated earlier, multiple bids coming from 1 country will be contested in a domestic bid race. They will be permitted to each produce a bid book, which will be assessed in a separate report, then undergo their own vote-off for who is represented as that nation's bid for the Commonwealth and Para-Commonwealth Games.

Here's to more bidders and have fun!

The bid books:

http://www.4shared.com/office/TqQCWDtk/paris2012.html - Paris 2012

http://www.4shared.com/office/pCf6S0A5/london2012.html - London 2012

http://www.4shared.com/office/V4bpBhaL/Chicago_2016_Applicant_File.html - Chicago 2016

Well now's a good a time as any to reveal Darwin's logo!

January 28th, Australia Day holiday, 2019 (wow, it's the same as today's date!)

After weeks of speculation, Darwin has officially submitted it's intent for hosting the new format 2026 Commonwealth and Para-Commonwealth Games. In recognition of this, Darwin is proud to officially unveil it's bid logo to the press and public.

Darinw2026logo_zps7936e638.jpg

The bid logo invokes much symbolism, which comprises of:

- An abstract Aboriginal pattern, acknowledging the original peoples of Darwin and the Northern Territory, in the colours of the Northern Territory as well as that of the Commonwealth Games Federation.

- The dots in the pattern number 23, which would represent the 2026 games as the 23rd edition of the Commonwealth Games.

- A representation of Charles Darwin's evolution of man (in the form of an athletics runner), acknowledging the namesake of Darwin.

- The stylized Stuart's Desert Rose, a symbol of the Northern Territory and floral emblem (represented as it would be on a white background, black and ochre, not black and white.

- The Commonwealth Games Federation banner, below the text "Darwin 2026, commonwealth games bid".

Of course not, it's redundant, time consuming to produce 2 bid books, oh you mean applicants and candidates?

Well if there's plenty of bidders, then yes, this might be the case, otherwise, I'd just give every legitimate bid a chance, but still have someone produce a report. Most likely the latter, with non-finalists being those who scored below the threshold in the report.

That being said, multiple bids from 1 nation will do a domestic bid race.

Archived