Reuters: Armstrong admission could kick cycling out of Olympics

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/15/uk-cycling-armstrong-olympics-idUKBRE90E0ZO20130115

(Reuters) - Cycling could be dropped from the Olympic program if Lance Armstrong implicates the sport's governing body of covering up a widespread doping scheme, International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Dick Pound told Reuters on Tuesday.

Pound said the IOC might be left with no choice other than to take drastic action if Armstrong proved the International Cycling Union (UCI) had acted improperly.

"The only way it is going to clean up is if all these people say 'hey, we're no longer in the Olympics and that's where we want to be so let's earn our way back into it,'" Pound said in a telephone interview.

Pound made his comments after talk show host Oprah Winfrey confirmed media reports that Armstrong admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs in an interview that was taped on Monday and will be broadcast on Thursday and Friday.

"The IOC would have to deal with it, the (UCI) is not known for its strong actions to anti-doping," said Pound, the former head of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

"It was the same in weightlifting a few years ago, all of a sudden when you get right up against it things go fuzzy and they say, 'well, we can't punish innocent athletes in these sports by dropping the sport from the program.'"

Quick denial from an IOC spokesman

"Axing cycling from Olympics is not on table. IOC: `It is a little premature to speculate on an interview whose contents is as yet unknown.'

And certainly in recent years cycling has introduced tough measures in the fight against doping"

-------

Anyway. here's how they apparently covered today's big story in Canada:

BAre2WUCEAAC8lC.jpg

Edited by RobH

There's way too much history in the Olympics for cycling to be kicked out. Yes, modern penthalon had been on the chopping block. But it's apprently been spared. Furthermore, unlike baseball and softball, there's lots of strong mainstream European interest and coverage in the sport over the decades. Want to clean house in the sport? Fine, I'm all for it. But kicking it out is the wrong remedy in this sport's context.

^I would agree. Cycling seems like one of those highlight events of the Summer Olympics, like T&F & all the other athletic sports, that I can't see such a drastic move be taken so quitely. Plus, it's alway fun to watch with all the good shots of the host city that one, otherwise, doesn't get to normally see.

Quick denial from an IOC spokesman

"Axing cycling from Olympics is not on table. IOC: `It is a little premature to speculate on an interview whose contents is as yet unknown.'

And certainly in recent years cycling has introduced tough measures in the fight against doping"

-------

Anyway. here's how they apparently covered today's big story in Canada:

BAre2WUCEAAC8lC.jpg

CBC at its best =.=

This is such a silly story.

Did people seriously believe that the confession of one cyclist, albeit a very prominent one, would lead to the expulsion of one of the most important sports of all from the Olympic programme?!

Just ridiculous.

Did people seriously believe that the confession of one cyclist, albeit a very prominent one, would lead to the expulsion of one of the most important sports of all from the Olympic programme?!

Just ridiculous.

It wouldn't be about Lance. It would be about high ranking UCI officials knowingly covering up doping if Lance testifies against them. And yes, that's a huge deal. Although probably what would happen is a serious house cleaning. Kind of like what FIFA should do.

Just ridiculous.

It's not that silly. It's not like Lance was the only person in the sport doping. And like FiveRingFever said.. if UCI knew what was going on and allowed it to happen, that's a problem. Much like Major League Baseball who seems to have a similar past in that regard, if they can assure the IOC the sport has been cleaned up, they'll be fine.

I'm interested in what people, particularly our friends in the United States, made of the first part of the Armstrong interview with Oprah Winfrey, which aired in the early hours of this morning over here in Britain. While it was still, even after everything that has emerged over the last few months, quite staggering to hear Armstrong admit his guilt at last, the interview was more fascinating for what was not said than what was said. I couldn't help feeling there is a lot we're still not being told. Maybe the second half will address some of those issues, but I'm not convinced they will.

This is very dissapointing, I really can't believe he did it all 7 times he won. I feel like a kid when they tell him Santa doesn't exists! But I don't think Cycling will be out of the Olympics, still is a very popular sport.

I gotta say this notice is very dissapointing for me, I was actually his fan... But now it only makes me think that I rather fail to qualify to the Olympics than becoming the best with dopping.

Track cycling won't be removed I bet, perhaps Road cycling can be in danger.

I can't find it now...but there is a clip of another fallen celebrity quite contrite. Even John Galliano, the disgraced Christian Dior designer who ranted anti-Semitic ravings while high, has recanted his sins, made sincere amends to the Jewish community who have forgiven him; and Oscar de la Renta is backing Galliano's return to the fashion world.

Here is just one newslink: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14844974

Cycling may not be out of the olympics, but it's reputation has already been tarnished a lot, and it will take a long time to clean it up. Armstrong should feel bad for what he did and i'm pretty sure doping regulation controls will become even tighter now after this sad charade.