Gonna have to figure that one out for yourself! B)

American, I kind have figured this out for a while now. No surprise then. I'm afraid I'm smart enough not to vomit some insanley bad clichés about Americans, but god knows how much clichés we have on you guys. But this is not relevant, and pointless. You know, they are clichés. Come to France, please, I'd be happy to show you around! ;)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boston, Massachusetts is taking the first big steps towards looking into the feasibility of a Summer Games bid for the earliest year 2024. On Thursday, January 10, 2013, the MA State Senate file a Re

Oslo was an abortion - Boston is a miscarriage.

We prefer "Masshole" to "total douche".

Oh really??? What were you in Houston for??? And apologies for a mess Houston is the way it's organized. As far as city planning goes, we are known as the largest city in the US without zoning laws. The city rejected it 3 times, the most recent time was in 1993 I think. But it's part of how quirky and interesting Houston is. But we definitely have the area and facilities to host a great games. And the OC would certainly focus on the history of TX, which can be for an interesting OC.

So what did you have time to visit while here??? If you like art, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Menil collection are a must! As compact as it is, our zoo is pretty good. They will be opening up a large gorilla exhibit towards the end of next month. Oh and the Paleontology exhibit at our science museum is such a work of art!

My mom's good friend and husband work at the Medical Center and we were visiting for Easter. I got to go the Medical Center, Museum district (including the Museum of Fine Arts...it was wonderful). We went to the museum, and I did a good bit of shopping. We went to the downtown center and saw all the skyscrapers and wanted to see a show in the theater district, but didn't have time. She lives in Katy so the drive was a bit sluggish, but well worth it. Houston is an amazing city and I can't wait to go again. The city is huge and it really is beautiful, much more than just cars and interstates, and plus those interstates are fun to drive on. Houston should host the Olympics one day and if we are willing to go to LA we should be willing to go to Houston.

American, I kind have figured this out for a while now. No surprise then. I'm afraid I'm smart enough not to vomit some insanley bad clichés about Americans, but god knows how much clichés we have on you guys. But this is not relevant, and pointless. You know, they are clichés. Come to France, please, I'd be happy to show you around! ;)

'Merica and the only European countries whose national flag is all white are both wonderful places. :P

My next trip to Houston should be in September.

My next trip to Houston should be in September.

Sounds good! If you have time when you come back check out the Menil Collection. It's in an obscure area in the Montrose area, but if you are a fan of Surrealism artists such as Magritte, Chirico, and Ernst then you may like it. And by then the new gorilla exhibit at the zoo should be open too. Also perhaps a trip to Galveston would be a great place to visit. There's Moody Gardens which has a nice aquarium, but the rainforest is what's worth going to. And also it may not be the best beach in the US, but it's a beach and currently seaweed along the shore is low this year, so hopefully that stays the same the whole year.

• Like 1

Sounds good! If you have time when you come back check out the Menil Collection. It's in an obscure area in the Montrose area, but if you are a fan of Surrealism artists such as Magritte, Chirico, and Ernst then you may like it. And by then the new gorilla exhibit at the zoo should be open too. Also perhaps a trip to Galveston would be a great place to visit. There's Moody Gardens which has a nice aquarium, but the rainforest is what's worth going to. And also it may not be the best beach in the US, but it's a beach and currently seaweed along the shore is low this year, so hopefully that stays the same the whole year.

I've been to Galveston a few times...not my cup of tea, but it is very funny to think that it used to be bigger and more important than Houston...oh the irony.

Provided that state funds are not allocated for the Olympic Games - an essential prerequisite, as all modern Olympic Games have relied on state funding in some manner. After all, the state has to fund the upgrade of infrastructure facilities and fund that other big albatross around the neck of budget planners - security.

In other words, Massachusetts residents have bought into the lie that the Olympic Games can be done on the cheap - which is a myth, not only since Beijing and Sochi. Just ask Montréal.

The question is: If the residents are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices to host the world in 2024, why should the IOC even bother?

Provided that state funds are not allocated for the Olympic Games - an essential prerequisite, as all modern Olympic Games have relied on state funding in some manner. After all, the state has to fund the upgrade of infrastructure facilities and fund that other big albatross around the neck of budget planners - security.

In other words, Massachusetts residents have bought into the lie that the Olympic Games can be done on the cheap - which is a myth, not only since Beijing and Sochi. Just ask Montréal.

The question is: If the residents are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices to host the world in 2024, why should the IOC even bother?

Exactly- if you have lets say a Paris or Hamburg bid with total Government backing, why risk a city nervously hoping to save taxpayers at any cost and trying to finance the Games entirely privately?

The Govt backing of say London and Sydney, and coordination by a dedicated Govt Minister no less, proved an ideal and safe model.

• Like 1

Exactly- if you have lets say a Paris or Hamburg bid with total Government backing, why risk a city nervously hoping to save taxpayers at any cost and trying to finance the Games entirely privately?

The Govt backing of say London and Sydney, and coordination by a dedicated Govt Minister no less, proved an ideal and safe model.

Americans have deep fear of government, which explains the strong association with the private sector for all games since 1980. While this undoubtedly has its organisational shortcomings (Atlanta) you cannot accuse them of leaving their host cities in debt.

Because the IOC wants people to believe the lie.

Because the IOC wants people to believe the lie.

Even in the face of ample evidence to the contrary?

Agreed about the debt, but when has the IOC given a damn if the Olympics leave a host city a debt or huge expenses? (Montreal excepted because it nearly killed the Olympics).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Management reshuffle at Boston 2024

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/05/09/boston-plan-would-shake-senior-leadership/cozhcVOBeNKiUNGja29h8H/story.html

But IMHO, the USOC is still clueless that their approach is the wrong business model. It doesn't matter whether you get a better mgmt team for the local bid or not -- if the outside forces (i.e., foreign bids) have their act together and the winds behind their back to bring the bacon home.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • 2 weeks later...

So recently Scott Blackmun came out and said it was Boston or bust for the USOC which would have indicated any rumors such as the one put forth by the Wall Street Journal that the USOC was perhaps considering dumping Boston and going with Los Angeles were not happening. However, now we have USOC member Angela Ruggiero saying that there's "no guarantee" Boston would be the candidate city though she also says the USOC wants to do everything it can to make Boston successful. Is this a slip up on her part, one that could get her fired from the USOC for talking to the press, or despite Blackmun's comments, could the USOC still be keeping back channels open with L.A. or another city? Or perhaps this is all nothing more than a prod to the people at Boston 2024 to get rid of John Fish sooner rather than later.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/new-round-of-boston-2024-olympics-hearings-begins-this-week/33077526

So recently Scott Blackmun came out and said it was Boston or bust for the USOC which would have indicated any rumors such as the one put forth by the Wall Street Journal that the USOC was perhaps considering dumping Boston and going with Los Angeles were not happening. However, now we have USOC member Angela Ruggiero saying that there's "no guarantee" Boston would be the candidate city though she also says the USOC wants to do everything it can to make Boston successful. Is this a slip up on her part, one that could get her fired from the USOC for talking to the press, or despite Blackmun's comments, could the USOC still be keeping back channels open with L.A. or another city? Or perhaps this is all nothing more than a prod to the people at Boston 2024 to get rid of John Fish sooner rather than later.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/new-round-of-boston-2024-olympics-hearings-begins-this-week/33077526

Whatever it was, it was not a good look.....

If Boston were the drop out - could the USOC theorhetically ask LA to step in?

In my opinion no because they would be submitting their second tier decision (IMO should have been their first). Plus Paris is in so all bets are off, most likely. If LA were chosen originally then it would be a different story between LA and Paris, but since that did not happen I highly doubt USOC will replace Boston. Unless Tulsa steps in I doubt Boston is being replaced.

If Boston were the drop out - could the USOC theorhetically ask LA to step in?

In my opinion no because they would be submitting their second tier decision (IMO should have been their first). Plus Paris is in so all bets are off, most likely. If LA were chosen originally then it would be a different story between LA and Paris, but since that did not happen I highly doubt USOC will replace Boston. Unless Tulsa steps in I doubt Boston is being replaced.

Sure they could. Would it be the wisest move? Probably not. But up until the submission deadline, they can do whatever they want. They're not being evaluated at this point. Would it hurt the USOC's cause the the IOC is going to know LA isn't their initial choice? Maybe, but I doubt it. That they've done all this work with Boston and LA is out of it right now.. that obviously would be an issue.

Either way, I think it is Boston or bust for them. If Boston doesn't have the goods, most likely I see the USOC sitting this one out rather than trying to replace them.

Now, it's a different story if Boston wants to hang in there for the long haul, i.e, just learn and get to know the IOC for 2024; and then come back and regroup for either 2028 or 2032 -- just like Hamburg initially announced a more realistic sked -- that if they're in it, they would be prepared for at least two rounds.

Could they (and the USOC) shift strategies now to go for a 2x run? Or will the fickle USOC just go with one city every time?

Edited by baron-pierreIV