Quite frankly. when I think of innovative, Tokyo/Japan pops into my mind. It seems that Japan is always coming up with these nifty little techs to slightly simplify life. Boston is also "innovative" but it's a different kind that's more for not-average-Joe-usage.

Just a few: :-)

Facebook

DropBox

Carbonite

Zipcar

TripAdvisor

iRobot

Runkeeper

LogMeIn

Dribbble

Wordstream

Constant Contact

Actifico

Leaf

Hubspot

WayFair

Akamai

Bizo

Basho

Rethink Robotics

MassChallenge

Lumenpulse

TechStars

Locu

Newsle

HowAboutWe

TaskRabbit

Acacia Communications

XL Hybrids

Harvest Power

Spindle

Plastiq

Recorded Future

Formlabs

Bow & Drape

Ubersense

Yesware

CustomMade

Fetchnotes

Kibits

Ministry of Supply

Flashnotes

Kinvey

Boundless

Philo (formerly Tivli)

Ginger.io

Ovuline

Careport Health

Gazelle

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boston, Massachusetts is taking the first big steps towards looking into the feasibility of a Summer Games bid for the earliest year 2024. On Thursday, January 10, 2013, the MA State Senate file a Re

Oslo was an abortion - Boston is a miscarriage.

We prefer "Masshole" to "total douche".

They don't exactly scream the innovation that I described in my previous post about Tokyo. I said that Boston had a "different" kind of "innovation". No need to be all in-your-face about it. I can pull up a list of tech companies headquartered in Cali. Would that make any difference? Did any of those companies listed offer anything new, fresh, or "innovative". I know I use Logmein Hamachi regularly. Did Logmein invent this entire VPN ordeal? Are they the only one that offers this service? innovation is a collaborative ordeal. It isn't simply something a city produces. It is the thinkers of the city that creates it. Are you saying all the thinkers think, create and collaborate in Boston? Because by the way you seem to be telling, you are. Who cares if this company is in Boston? Did this company or city or person solely came from and produced in Boston? From what I know of. Innovation is something that you learn, create and collaborate from one another. You build off of others and they build off of you to create something new or improved.

• Like 1

innovation is a collaborative ordeal. It isn't simply something a city produces. It is the thinkers of the city that creates it. Are you saying all the thinkers think, create and collaborate in Boston? Because by the way you seem to be telling, you are. Who cares if this company is in Boston? Did this company or city or person solely came from and produced in Boston? From what I know of. Innovation is something that you learn, create and collaborate from one another. You build off of others and they build off of you to create something new or improved.

You are right. Being an innovation hub is about more than hosting the HQs of a few tech companies. However, Boston is more than just that. As was noted before, the Boston region is an education mecca where academics and researchers from every imaginable field come together to share ideas. It is through its universities that Boston provides the unique environment that fosters the collaboration that fuels innovation.

Here is an example: MIT's Artificial Intelligence Laboratory has stimulated the development of Boston's robotic's industry. Notably with companies such as iRobot, Boston Dynamics, Brooks Automation, Barrett Technology, Kiva Systems and many others headquartered in the area. What is notable is that all these firms were founded by alumni from MIT's Artificial Intelligence Library. This common connection forges relationships between these firms that fosters innovation in excess of what may come from any other pair of companies with proximate headquarters in the same industry.

Boston isn't the only example of this phenomenon. Stanford plays the same role for Silicon Valley that MIT plays in Boston.

Boston's dominance in the field of robotics is even recognized in the San Jose Mercury.

However, I must admit you are right to point out that Boston's most dominant innovative industries (biotech and robotics) don't get as much attention in most people's minds when compared to the software that comes out of Silicon Valley or the hardware that comes out of Tokyo.

• Like 2

Just a few: :-)

That's a long list. Not sure what that has to do with the Olympics though. I get you're trying to make the case for Boston as an innovative city, but seems like overkill to make a point. And if you're going to link Facebook to Boston.. yes, we all know the story about Mark Zuckerberg. Don't know I'd necessarily credit that one to Boston since within a few months of launching the site, he moved the company and their operations out to California and never came back.

If Boston is looking for good narrative for a potential Olympic bid, I think their reputation as a great college town is a great place to start. It needs to be more than "we're an innovative city.. just look at this laundry list of companies with roots in Boston."

• Like 2

That's a long list. Not sure what that has to do with the Olympics though. I get you're trying to make the case for Boston as an innovative city, but seems like overkill to make a point. And if you're going to link Facebook to Boston.. yes, we all know the story about Mark Zuckerberg. Don't know I'd necessarily credit that one to Boston since within a few months of launching the site, he moved the company and their operations out to California and never came back.

If Boston is looking for good narrative for a potential Olympic bid, I think their reputation as a great college town is a great place to start. It needs to be more than "we're an innovative city.. just look at this laundry list of companies with roots in Boston."

And the MOST IMPORTANT things are can a city physically accommodate (OK, let's say 80%) a 21st century-size OGs? Will at least 55% of the populace be behind the bid; and will the Games leave it a better city afterwards? Those are the 3 keystones that will make the IOC consider a would-be host seriously.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

And the MOST IMPORTANT things are can a city physically accommodate (OK, let's say 80%) a 21st century-size OGs? Will at least 55% of the populace be behind the bid; and will the Games leave it a better city afterwards? Those are the 3 keystones that will make the IOC consider a would-be host seriously.

That's all true in theory, but I'd like to see the IOC really giving it to cities that answer all yes to the above while there's a rival bid which is all shiny but Sochi-esque...

As a tech writer, Boston is very definitely considered the US's major tech and innovation hub after the Bay Area. Route 128 has been long considered the country's second Silicon Valley. And MIT itself regarded as the world's leading tech and innovation academic institution bar none.

Boston reclaiming its place as a technology hub

I know MIT is the top tech school here in the country, I just have never seen or known Boston to be a Silicon Valley like place for innovation.

All this innovation talk is NOTHING. Atlanta was nothing but the home of Coca-Cola and MLK when it won. Sochi was nothing but a backwater blueprint when it won. Yeah, the 'cache' of being a technology hub may help a little -- but it's not that much of a major factor. Hell, Israel is a major 'technology hub and incubator' and you know they score no points in being a serious Olympic host for at least the next 30 years.

Even then Boston is up against San Francisco, the tech capital of the nation.

I don't totally disagree on that... just commenting on the fact Innovation is one of Boston's main objectives everyday not just for the Olympics and giving sourced information for the people who say Boston is not one of the top cities in Innovation. We have top Innovators in all categories.

Please don't take my words out of context, I am saying that I have never seen or associated innovation with Boston. Boston has largely been a historical city in my mind. If it is a hub that is great, all the more bragging rights for them. I just have never seen the city in that way.

You are right. Being an innovation hub is about more than hosting the HQs of a few tech companies. However, Boston is more than just that. As was noted before, the Boston region is an education mecca where academics and researchers from every imaginable field come together to share ideas. It is through its universities that Boston provides the unique environment that fosters the collaboration that fuels innovation.

Here is an example: MIT's Artificial Intelligence Laboratory has stimulated the development of Boston's robotic's industry. Notably with companies such as iRobot, Boston Dynamics, Brooks Automation, Barrett Technology, Kiva Systems and many others headquartered in the area. What is notable is that all these firms were founded by alumni from MIT's Artificial Intelligence Library. This common connection forges relationships between these firms that fosters innovation in excess of what may come from any other pair of companies with proximate headquarters in the same industry.

Boston isn't the only example of this phenomenon. Stanford plays the same role for Silicon Valley that MIT plays in Boston.

Boston's dominance in the field of robotics is even recognized in the San Jose Mercury.

However, I must admit you are right to point out that Boston's most dominant innovative industries (biotech and robotics) don't get as much attention in most people's minds when compared to the software that comes out of Silicon Valley or the hardware that comes out of Tokyo.

Exactly, Boston is an innovative reasearch and education hub. In terms of software or hardware the Bay Area, Austin, and Tokyo have you guys beat.

That's the Olympic Spirit! Just JUDGE an entire city based on a few bad apples! :-/

It may sound silly, but if your coming on here to support your city's bid, you have a duty to be a good representative of that city. Theyre not really giving Boston a good name.

For the record I have been to Boston and its a great city with great people.

Oh please let's refrain from the complete double standards here. Cuz I could say the SAME thing over other people coming on here being really obnoxious in support over their cities, & NOT being a "good representative", including your own Toronto over the years (which is why I've been soured over the aspect of that city over the course of time here).

And let's not forget those nasty Spaniards last year touting loudly & nastily over Madrid, yet you seemed in having no real problems with them. Go figure. Boston wouldn't be unique in anyway shape or form to these forums in having rowdy supporters. I'd say their quite tame, again in comparison to some others here in the past.

Ofan is just feeding off of Boston's reputation for insecurity. It's among the nation's leading cities, but often doesn't get recognized as such due to its proximity to New York. (How can some 16-year-old grow up in LA/FL and only think of Boston as some historical theme park is beyond me!?!) In any case, it's a recipe for insecurity and hence all the crap about "MassHoles".

I still chuckle at the thought that the IOC (or USOC) actually cares about which city is the innovation capital...

"Innovation Captial" is just a feel good term. Basically, it communicates that the city is not a smoldering pile of post-industrial rubble. The high tech sector has a "clean" vibe to it that some find attractive.

Some people are jerks, some attempt to beat down opposition by overcompensating, some are ill informed, some are judgmental *ssholes. That can be demonstrated by just about any number of anonymous bulletin board poster from any place. It has no bearing on what a city or its people are about.

I still chuckle at the thought that the IOC (or USOC) actually cares about which city is the innovation capital...

lol same here. And yet people on here are arguing about it like the IOC actually gives a damn about choosing an innovative city, which it won't. If Boston ends up getting the US bid I sure do hope they don't decide to promote themselves the same way when it comes to the main bidding process.

YOU MEAN KHOUSEMAN1986 WANTS TO DISCONNECT FROM TECHNOLOGY, SO HE CAN ENJOY THE PLACE IN WHICH HE IS VACATIONING AT?

*gasps from the audience arise

*younger cop pukes in horror

^it would appear i misread vacation :ph34r:

lol a phone with internet access can be helpful depending on where you go. When I was in Madrid and Barcelona it came in handy so that I wouldn't get lost. Sure I could have signed up a tour to save me the trouble of finding things out on my own, but that's no fun to me.

Although detaching yourself from technology and the internet for a beach vacation is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this forum and thought I'd weigh in. Interesting discussion. The Globe published op-eds by Bach and the No Boston Olympics guys today. What do people think?

Bach: http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/01/05/ioc-president-thomas-bach-new-olympics/owBo8n6R9rs21ZduqyeKPM/story.html?p1=Article_Related_Box_Article

No Boston Olympics: http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/01/05/boston-will-win-losing-olympic-bid/WpWkZ3kN3J5OkpPB9ndGPM/story.html

• Like 1