• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boston, Massachusetts is taking the first big steps towards looking into the feasibility of a Summer Games bid for the earliest year 2024. On Thursday, January 10, 2013, the MA State Senate file a Re

Oslo was an abortion - Boston is a miscarriage.

We prefer "Masshole" to "total douche".

What are you saying? This is a Boston bid, which last time I checked falls under the USOC's jurisdiction.

Last we all checked they were in close works with the USOC so they obviously know what they do and don't need... The Olympics are changing contrary to popular belief

80,000 seats is not a requirement for the USOC so much as it is a guideline. If Boston's bid is head and shoulders ahead of the competition and the only drawback is the size of their stadium, the USOC isn't going to reject them outright on that basis.

So we've got some focus here from Boston. Good to see from them. Not sure how well the temporary stadium idea is gonna go over with them. Feel like that could be a tough sell, just as it was for Chicago's bid. Not to mention a price tag of all this that's looking to start at around $10 billion. Kudos to Boston and their supporters if they can get that kind of backing.

80,000 seats is not a requirement for the USOC so much as it is a guideline. If Boston's bid is head and shoulders ahead of the competition and the only drawback is the size of their stadium, the USOC isn't going to reject them outright on that basis.

So we've got some focus here from Boston. Good to see from them. Not sure how well the temporary stadium idea is gonna go over with them. Feel like that could be a tough sell, just as it was for Chicago's bid. Not to mention a price tag of all this that's looking to start at around $10 billion. Kudos to Boston and their supporters if they can get that kind of backing.

I'm sure the IOC will probably make them do an 80,000 stadium that would be downsized to 60,000. Seems a lot more sell-able to me.

Then again Boston is a liberal trash town filled with nothing but stupid, incompetent, and politically uneducated fools.

My reading of it is that it's $5b in public money for needed infrastructure projects (going to be spent there, anyhow) and $5b Games budget (Boston 2024 operating budget), probably excluding security costs which will be borne largely by the US federal government. I think keeping costs at that level is a bit overly optimistic, but it's a start.

The US Government pays for all of the Security Costs and you also have to remember that the Domestic Partnerships with the IOC and NOC pay and supply a lot of things.. just for example Panasonic provides all the surveillance equipment etc.. Any costs involved with the operations of the games are covered.
So their estimates seem pretty legit.
Atlanta only cost $1.7 Billion today with inflation that would be $2.8 billion and they made a $10 million profit

The US Government pays for all of the Security Costs and you also have to remember that the Domestic Partnerships with the IOC and NOC pay and supply a lot of things.. just for example Panasonic provides all the surveillance equipment etc.. Any costs involved with the operations of the games are covered.

Atlanta only cost $1.7 Billion today with inflation that would be $2.8 billion and they made a $10 million profit

And Atlanta was a VERY different scenario. Firstly Atlanta had a massive corporate influence that the IOC publicly disliked, secondly the Atlanta venues were relative crap, and thirdly Atlanta still did not get all that money back. To think that Boston will be able to host a more modern games with a 5bn dollar budget is BS, especially if they are planning to revitalize a lot of it. A modern Pan-Ams will run you up 5bn, an Olympics would be double. The OC is only saying 5bn because it sounds a lot better then saying 10bn. In reality expect the final numbers to be 10-15 billion dollars.

My reading of it is that it's $5b in public money for needed infrastructure projects (going to be spent there, anyhow) and $5b Games budget (Boston 2024 operating budget), probably excluding security costs which will be borne largely by the US federal government. I think keeping costs at that level is a bit overly optimistic, but it's a start.

If that's the case that's ridiculously optimistic.

I hope so. I see no reason why they shouldn't push for this, but I find it hard to believe that budget. That said, the article is ambiguous. I can't help but feel I'm misreading it somehow.

That was Olympics in a vastly different era. Take a look at Athens cost or what London cost to get a better idea of what a 2024 Olympics might cost Boston. It's gonna a lot more than $2.8 billion. $10 billion seems like a relatively conservative estimate. And in actual dollars come 2024, it would probably be even more

That was Olympics in a vastly different era. Take a look at Athens cost or what London cost to get a better idea of what a 2024 Olympics might cost Boston. It's gonna a lot more than $2.8 billion. $10 billion seems like a relatively conservative estimate. And in actual dollars come 2024, it would probably be even more

Agreed. I think for the time being the organizers are putting out a lowball estimate. Pure honesty would be asking a bit much, don't you think? LOL

That number will creep up and up over time, I'm sure.

To think that Boston will be able to host a more modern games with a 5bn dollar budget is BS, especially if they are planning to revitalize a lot of it. A modern Pan-Ams will run you up 5bn, an Olympics would be double. The OC is only saying 5bn because it sounds a lot better then saying 10bn.

You mean like when he said it would be $4.5b, plus $5b not included in the $4.5?

Ok I really can't stand these new Boston guys. Am I the only one who feels that way?

A Canadien not liking Boston. Shocking.

You mean like when he said it would be $4.5b, plus $5b not included in the $4.5?

No the $5 Billion was the amount for infrastructure projects that are already planned and being paid for separately.. . obviously there will be some of that which will be added additionally but there was a reason to have them separate.

Did you miss the part where the $4.5 and runoff is being paid for with PRIVATE funds? That was very clear and the most important fact I'd say

No the $5 Billion was the amount for infrastructure projects that are already planned and being paid for separately.. . obviously there will be some of that which will be added additionally but there was a reason to have them separate.

Did you miss the part where the $4.5 and runoff is being paid for with PRIVATE funds? That was very clear and the most important fact I'd say

Regardless, it's an extremely optimistic number and one that is likely not going to hold as time progresses.

OK, so the article says...

O'Connell offered a projected budget of $4.5 billion — a price tag that would be covered through a combination of ticket sales, broadcast rights payments and sponsorships

Ticket sales, broadcast rights and sponsorships (+ merchandising) covered the OCOG costs at London 2012.

They were not even a part of the infrastructure or venue budget.

Which is fine, but the article goes on to say....

That figure doesn't include a tally of at least $5 billion in public infrastructure investments — such as extra tracks at an expanded South Station and a new West Station in Allston — that the Partnership's backers say are on track to happen anyway.

It's those last few words that throw me.

Ticket sales, broadcast rights and sponsorships will cover the OCOG budget as per usual. That's taken as given. What you can make back from these, you spend on the show. And $5bn is projected on top of that for infrastrcture, BUT it's happening anyway?

Clarification needed here I think. Not entirely clear if I'm reading this properly.

Ok I really can't stand these new Boston guys. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Nah, I'm there too. I'm not too fond of Rik, but you know what they are excited that their city is bidding. I'm sure when Toronto bids or if Tampa ever bid again I would be just as excited.

In total expect a budget double that and somewhere close to 10-15 billion. Even if you have half of that paid by private investment the tax payer will still pay the other half.

Ticket sales, broadcast rights and sponsorships (+ merchandising) covered the OCOG costs at London 2012.

Ticket sales, broadcast rights and sponsorships will cover the OCOG budget as per usual. That's taken as given. What you can make back from these, you spend on the show. And $5bn is projected on top of that for infrastrcture, BUT it's happening anyway?

Clarification needed here I think. Not entirely clear if I'm reading this properly.

Also need to think of the writer and publication as well... The Boston Globe has been telling everyone on Twitter and online that the $4.5 Billion is coming from public money... But who would expect anything less from the Globe :-)

There was a big state-wide transportation bill passed earlier in 2014 (something like $13 billion), which included certain projects the article referenced - expanded subway lines, expanded rail stations, etc. in and around Boston. I read the article as meaning that of the transport bill's $13 billion, $5 billion has already been dedicated to infrastructure projects around the potential venue sites.

There was a big state-wide transportation bill passed earlier in 2014 (something like $13 billion), which included certain projects the article referenced - expanded subway lines, expanded rail stations, etc. in and around Boston. I read the article as meaning that of the transport bill's $13 billion, $5 billion has already been dedicated to infrastructure projects around the potential venue sites.

Ding Ding... that is correct Sir... and they made it pretty clear this will not becoming a public debt.

Nah, I'm there too. I'm not too fond of Rik, but you know what they are excited that their city is bidding.

Yeah no, he's the worst one. But fair enough.

I actually love Boston as a city. But then again, I'm not a "Canadien".

I have shared it in this thread before in fact...

Here is the PDF to the $13 Billion Massdot Capital Investment Transportation Bill

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/0/docs/infoCenter/docs_materials/cip_FY14_FY18.pdf