f Well, these things are probably what will help the USOC make up their minds about whether to bid or not. While maybe L.A. (or supposedly Dallas) could be ahead of Boston, if they USOC feels that some of these cities are just dragging their feet, then how could they even come up with a winnable plan to convince those fastideous IOC members. Especially when the competition will throw everything at it but the kitchen sink. Yes, time is a running out. And if someone is very serious about going after this, they need so seriously start showing what they got to offer now, not way later. Like the USOC told the 2016 domestic candidates - "show us some 'skin' in this game"!

I think Dallas and Boston has the most hope for the Olympics. If Durban and Paris bid it will come down to Paris and USA...no doubt. Yet I think Paris would win.

^ yea the clock is ticking. So what other US cities are ahead of Boston? LA? Ok what else? and what should be ready by this time? honestly someone answer me bc i dont know . The bid is coming together and exposed to media, I haven't heard anything from the other cities .

How about Dallas. They were being talked about a year ago and not in terms of feasibility studies, but they've progressed to the point they're actually putting a plan together. So when they're exchanging dialogue with the USOC, they are in a better position to offer something of a little more substance in contrast to Boston who can only say "yea we're interested, but we're still studying if it's feasible or not." That's how slowly their effort is progressing, that it's taken nearly 7 months simply to get from having proposed to do this study to where it's gotten approved. So you're darn right the clock is ticking. At some point, Boston's bid needs to make the leap from that to having something to offer the USOC. It's a common refrain on here that rings true once again.. don't judge things based on how much media coverage there is of it. To that end...

No one is truly ahead of anyone until it's in the hands of the USOC, if you were to go by Social backing it would be Philadelphia they have nearly 14,000 facebook followers however their page was created in late 2009. And they have bid 4 previous times.

Boston has nearly 2,000 and has been up for less then 1 year... (12 days away from 1yr)...

in 2010 Maine created a fan page to bid and although the page has been inactive by moderators since 2010 they have OVER 15,250 fans that could be possible conversions over to Greater-Boston

Regarding the Mayor, he's on his way out, for what its worth; retiring at the end of his term, and the election's this fall.

But my point was that there seems to be less skepticism on here and more support than back in March.

I concur... I sit here watching all this and scream at the computer LOL... There should be an army of people working on this and I know of many soldiers interested

Be careful about using social media to judge these things as well. Good for Philadelphia that they have 14,000 Facebook followers. That shows there's some support for the city, but means nothing towards the city's ability in having a working plan. Similarly, this site is hardly a barometer of what's going out in reality. I know there's a lot of folks that have flocked here to discuss Boston. Again, it doesn't necessarily lend credence to Boston having themselves a feasible bid. Yes there are certainly folks out there that are working on this and their efforts are commendable. But remember.. bidding for an Olympics is an expensive, slow moving process that requires a lot of time, money, and other resources that a city may not want to commit. If Boston and their bid committee can find those people, more power to them. It's less than a given though that all sorts of city officials and financial backers are going to be so eager to jump into the effort given the odds of success.

What I would like to know, is if most of these cities are moving at a snails pace compared to a couple of others, then which are the "little more than ten cities" that the USOC is talking to. And better yet, out of those, which are the ones the USOC is talking to "seriously".

What I would like to know, is if most of these cities are moving at a snails pace compared to a couple of others, then which are the "little more than ten cities" that the USOC is talking to. And better yet, out of those, which are the ones the USOC is talking to "seriously".

I imagine Dallas, sense they have not said anything they may be talking to them. LA, Chicago, and NYC could be as well.

Chicago's mayor has already firmly said that they are not bidding. And I have my skepticism over New York. San Francisco is always a bureaucratic mess, & apparently Philadelphia & Boston are slow-popes. And apart from L.A. & perhaps Dallas, I can't see anyone else that would be "serious" about this.

At least any cities that are worthwhile, anyway.

I know, but Dallas does not really have heat problems.

Have you looked at a forecast for Dallas lately? Here are the high temperatures over the last 2 weeks in Dallas.. 95, 95, 98, 98, 100, 99, 96, 95, 93, 94, 99, 101, 104, 104

And that's hardly abnormal for them. I believe the average high in Dallas during July and August is around 7 degrees warmer than it is in Atlanta where a lot of people weren't exactly enthralled with the weather back in `96. So yes, the weather in Dallas isn't exactly in their favor if they want to land an Olympics.

Seriously.. where do you come up with these statements sometimes.

My best guess is that Dallas and Los Angeles are at the top of the list. I know we haven't heard much from Dallas, but there's probably a reason for that.. they're the only city (aside perhaps from L.A.) that seems to have some sort of plan/concept in place, at least in theory.

So to those who ask why I'm harping on this about Boston.. when the USOC has discussed things with Dallas, the USOC probably asked "what do you have to offer us?" and the Dallas folks can tell them about their plan for Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl. As opposed to when they talk to Boston and the response is "we're still doing a feasibility study, we'll get back to you."

L.A. still has some question marks, but as we know they have a lot of venues already in place and obviously a renovation of the coliseum could always be in their back pocket. Beyond those 2, I don't know who else would be the "serious" cities.

Have you looked at a forecast for Dallas lately? Here are the high temperatures over the last 2 weeks in Dallas.. 95, 95, 98, 98, 100, 99, 96, 95, 93, 94, 99, 101, 104, 104

And that's hardly abnormal for them. I believe the average high in Dallas during July and August is around 7 degrees warmer than it is in Atlanta where a lot of people weren't exactly enthralled with the weather back in `96. So yes, the weather in Dallas isn't exactly in their favor if they want to land an Olympics.

Yes and that's August/ late July. Look at the late May/ Early June...it's much cooler. Another thing you have to add is humidity; Georgia had humidity and Texas is much dryer, so while it may be 95 degrees it could feel like the high 80's. Would the IOC allow the last week of May and first week of June time frame?

My best guess is that Dallas and Los Angeles are at the top of the list. I know we haven't heard much from Dallas, but there's probably a reason for that.. they're the only city (aside perhaps from L.A.) that seems to have some sort of plan/concept in place, at least in theory.

So to those who ask why I'm harping on this about Boston.. when the USOC has discussed things with Dallas, the USOC probably asked "what do you have to offer us?" and the Dallas folks can tell them about their plan for Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl. As opposed to when they talk to Boston and the response is "we're still doing a feasibility study, we'll get back to you."

L.A. still has some question marks, but as we know they have a lot of venues already in place and obviously a renovation of the coliseum could always be in their back pocket. Beyond those 2, I don't know who else would be the "serious" cities.

At this point that's what I'm thinking as well. Dallas and LA at the top then Boston trailing behind, but as the 2020 race has shown things can change at any time.

I am just hoping L.A. does not get the games because of the history. We have so many large cities unlike other nations and to re-use the same city almost every time is pointless. I understand that 2012 was NYC and Chicago 2016 were the most recent picks, but we would not win with LA.

Lmfao! :lol:

Yes and that's August/ late July. Look at the late May/ Early June...it's much cooler. Another thing you have to add is humidity; Georgia had humidity and Texas is much dryer, so while it may be 95 degrees it could feel like the high 80's. Would the IOC allow the last week of May and first week of June time frame?

And that's the whole crux of the matter here. The IOC prefers the July/August timeframe for the "Summer" Olympics. Mostly in part due to the broadcasters. And in the U.S., you still have the issue of the basketball season still in full-swing in May/June. Not to mention that it's also the start of the baseball season then as well. And it's precisely the reason why they've rejected Doha twice already, despite them scoring higher than Rio & Istanbul respectively, bcuz they were proposing October dates.

Lmfao! :lol:

And that's the whole crux of the matter here. The IOC prefers the July/August timeframe for the "Summer" Olympics. Mostly in part due to the broadcasters. And in the U.S., you still have the issue of the basketball season still in full-swing in May/June. Not to mention that it's also the start of the baseball season then as well. And it's precisely the reason why they've rejected Doha twice already, despite them scoring higher than Rio & Istanbul respectively, bcuz they were proposing October dates.

What about last week of June-first week of July?

At this point that's what I'm thinking as well. Dallas and LA at the top then Boston trailing behind, but as the 2020 race has shown things can change at any time.

Well, earlier you were under the delusion that the USOC could also be talking to Chicago & New York. Chicago has already said a big fat 'no'. And I'm not sure about New York. Considering most things relevant, I don't think that they have much interest in this anymore.

I am just hoping L.A. does not get the games because of the history. We have so many large cities unlike other nations and to re-use the same city almost every time is pointless. I understand that 2012 was NYC and Chicago 2016 were the most recent picks, but we would not win with LA.

Depends what their final plans would be. I wouldn't necessarily write L.A. off so easily. If they could come up with a compelling package, then they could have a shot. If it's the same rehash of "we have everything ready to go", then I can't see them getting too far ahead.

And yes, we have other large cities, but not all of them would automatically be of Olympic caliber. Again, large land mass countries like China, India, Brazil & Russia also have many large cities that are "capable" of hosting. Doesn't mean that they should. Many of the international members here frown upon a Dallas candidacy, bcuz it's international stature is not up to snuff. Doesn't mean though that Dallas isn't capable, just not very alluring for an Olympics.

That could fly, but it's already hot in Dallas by then anyway.

Well, earlier you were under the delusion that the USOC could also be talking to Chicago & New York. Chicago has already said a big fat 'no'. And I'm not sure about New York. Considering most things relevant, I don't think that they have much interest in this anymore.

Depends what their final plans would be. I wouldn't necessarily write L.A. off so easily. If they could come up with a compelling package, then they could have a shot. If it's the same rehash of "we have everything ready to go", then I can't see them getting too far ahead.

And yes, we have other large cities, but not all of them would automatically be of Olympic caliber. Again, large land mass countries like China, India, Brazil & Russia also have many large cities that are "capable" of hosting. Doesn't mean that they should. Many of the international members here frown upon a Dallas candidacy, bcuz it's international stature is not up to snuff. Doesn't mean though that Dallas isn't capable, just not very alluring for an Olympics.

That could fly, but it's already hot in Dallas by then anyway.

Although I support Dallas I think it will be in too many ways like Atlanta. I also had no idea Chicago said no and I would like NYC to bid...overall the US should pass on 2024 and make a huge comeback with 2028.

Although I support Dallas I think it will be in too many ways like Atlanta. .

And that's where Dallas' image would suffer internationally. Many of the foreign observers would liken it to Atlanta. I'm sure many in the IOC would as well. Not a very good image to have, especially when the Atlanta Olympics weren't so well revered by the international community, & including the IOC, who are the ones who award this spectacle.

I also had no idea Chicago said no and I would like NYC to bid...overall the US should pass on 2024 and make a huge comeback with 2028.

That's why it's a good idea for you, as a newbie, to go over many of these threads first, particularly the USA 2024 one, which has well over 300 ungodly pages on the subject. That way we're not just rehashing old stuff that's already been talked about ad-infinitum here.

And do some google searches, too. Especially "the USOC solicits 35 cities for Olympic bids" back from February of this year. There you'll come up with many stories on what cities rejected the offer (like Chicago, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Detroit, etc), which are contemplating it (like Boston & San Diego), or sent a letter of interest to the USOC (like Los Angeles & Philadelphia). Those would be good starting points for you.

Although I support Dallas I think it will be in too many ways like Atlanta. I also had no idea Chicago said no and I would like NYC to bid...overall the US should pass on 2024 and make a huge comeback with 2028.

Not to re-hash FYI's post, but this is why you should ask about these things before making fact-based statements like Dallas doesn't have a heat problem or that the USOC may be talking to Chicago. The crowd here can be an extremely opinionated group at times (well, pretty much all the time), but it's also pretty knowledgeable. I know you're trying to learn about these things, so use us here for some insight instead of jumping to conclusions where we're all going to think you are clueless.

• Like 1

Even for a US bid that will use university dorms, that is too early a dislocation of the school calendar for someone just borrowing/leasing premises. An end of July-1st week August works best because it can take a month to get university dorms ready as a possible Village or Media housing, and then returning it to the school. And that time sked doesn't involve an additional 10 days for Paralympic use. So an LA, Boston, Dallas bid will have to revolve around borrowing university dorms and being mindful of the school calendar.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Not to re-hash FYI's post, but this is why you should ask about these things before making fact-based statements like Dallas doesn't have a heat problem or that the USOC may be talking to Chicago. The crowd here can be an extremely opinionated group at times (well, pretty much all the time), but it's also pretty knowledgeable. I know you're trying to learn about these things, so use us here for some insight instead of jumping to conclusions where we're all going to think you are clueless.

I knew most of what you all said, but not that Chicago turned down 2024; I knew they through out 2020 before the USOC did. I also knew about the cities that did except and the others that denied, so I was not completely clueless.

Side note.... Spent today in Boston. What a wonderful, beautiful city. Ignoring for a minute all the practical issues, competition, etc. it fun to think about how awesome a Boston games would be.

They would be amazing...but a dream.

I knew most of what you all said, but not that Chicago turned down 2024; I knew they through out 2020 before the USOC did. I also knew about the cities that did except and the others that denied, so I was not completely clueless.

They would be amazing...but a dream.

Every Single Bid is a Dream.... Until that Magical Day it all comes together and Becomes Reality - but that can only happen with positive minds, goals and attitudes.

Side note.... Spent today in Boston. What a wonderful, beautiful city. Ignoring for a minute all the practical issues, competition, etc. it fun to think about how awesome a Boston games would be.

I haven't been back to Boston in a few years, but it definitely seems like the type of vibe and atmosphere that the IOC would probably embrace. And it could certainly represent a different cultural and historic experience than virtually any other city could offer. That said, of course..

Every Single Bid is a Dream.... Until that Magical Day it all comes together and Becomes Reality - but that can only happen with positive minds, goals and attitudes.

It takes a lot more than positive thoughts to put together an Olympic bid. No one here, certainly not myself, is trying to ruin the hopes and dreams of anyone who wants to see a Boston Olympics. And maybe there should be "an army of people working on this." But again, Boston is not the only city (let alone only in the United States) that is dreaming about an Olympics. At some point, the USOC is going to start asking the tough questions and be looking for answers. At some point, Boston needs to have a concept and a plan in place that makes them the USOC's pick.

The fact that 39 people unanimously voted to explore this further is extremely encouraging. But if that's all there is right now, it's far from an Olympic bid. If there are "many soldiers" out there, they need to get on this sooner right than later. You have provided some useful information. That's only scratching the surface though, and the crowd here is only going to want to know more.

My favorite Quaker post to date. Honestly. I agree wholeheartedly. It's all I can do to restrain myself from commenting on some of these newer posts.

Even for a US bid that will use university dorms, that is too early a dislocation of the school calendar for someone just borrowing/leasing premises. An end of July-1st week August works best because it can take a month to get university dorms ready as a possible Village or Media housing, and then returning it to the school. And that time sked doesn't involve an additional 10 days for Paralympic use. So an LA, Boston, Dallas bid will have to revolve around borrowing university dorms and being mindful of the school calendar.

Would the IOC even settle for dorms after all these glam purpose-built villages?

My favorite Quaker post to date. Honestly. I agree wholeheartedly. It's all I can do to restrain myself from commenting on some of these newer posts.

Would the IOC even settle for dorms after all these glam purpose-built villages?

I highly doubt they would.