For what it's worth, Harvard Stadium used to be one of the premier T&F stadiums in the US. The stadium does hold a 400m track... tight to the walls of the seating (not sure if that's allowed anymore).

For what it's worth, Harvard Stadium used to be one of the premier T&F stadiums in the US. The stadium does hold a 400m track... tight to the walls of the seating (not sure if that's allowed anymore).

Probably very similar to Franklin Field in Philadelphia. The problem with that stadium (not sure if it was similar at Harvard) is that it isn't really a regulation track. At Franklin Field, I believe it's the inside of lane 4 that represents the 400 meter distance as opposed to the inside of lane 1.

Beyond that though and I know I'll appeal to baron here.. the main stadium is as much about the design for the Ceremonies as it is for the track & field competition (case in point Maracanã in Rio. You want that extra room and somewhat of a blank canvas to accomodate 10,000 athletes and all the performers. That's why using an existing space without a major renovation is never going to be preferrable.

1 more image for everyone..

522kpfmbycww950i.jpg

There's a lot of room there to put mulitple venues without having to ruin the integrity of Harvard Stadium. So that could definitely be a cluster right there (and you have T stop relatively nearby, so that helps). But again, in order to put the main stadium there, you'd probably have to demolish and/or re-build a lot of what is currently there.

Nice image. If they intend to use that stadium as the main one, they'll have to knock it down completely, tear out a few of other fields nearby, probably set it in a good north-south axis (if it isn't already), and center it in that open space with enuf room around it to spare. And then reposition the warm-up track as well. That will be major re-do costing at least $800-900 million if it's to be done right. But then again Harvard has a $32 billion endowment, so that might be doable, putting other projects on hold.

Good to hear. The Summer Games advocates here (I can think of one in particular who so far has NOT yet chimed in on this thread) are so starved for possible US 2024 bids that your appearance, certainly caused a hubbub.

That seems so bizarre, though, doesn't it? Especially when they are one of the most vehement bolsters here for another U.S. Summer Olympics ASAP. You would think that they would be all over this here, but on the contrary, it seems like they're looking the other way now.

Granted, it's still early, but this is most possibility, thus far, that may be out there. We'll see on Feb 1st when this bill is supposedly posted on the MA state legislature website.

Have you seen what's there?..

harvard-stadium.jpg

Actually, also reminds me of the Portsmouth Dry dock #9 used in the opening sequence of the new LES MIZ film. This is drydock #1; LES MIZ used drydock #9.

124-0029_Drydock_Number_One_NNS.jpg

• Like 1

Actually, the plan back in 1994 was to utilize much of the Harvard Athletic Facilities and land along Soldiers Field road. You can see the swatch of green on the left hand side of the map. On the right hand side, just 1.5 miles from Logan Airport, there could be a second cluster where the wonderland racetrack formerly was. That's another location Bob Craft, ower of the Patriots has been scoping out to build a new Revolution Soccer stadium. This is all just speculative...but it gives you a good idea how compact the city is.

olympic_sites.png

I really think that Boston could be a very desirable host. If they can come out with an innovative plan that's feasible, logistically capable & attractive, they could be a strong contender. If this Exploratory Committee is approved, I really hope that they can draft up a workable & winnable plan.

• Like 3

Is that the entire venue plan? Ie. is there any other venue not in the map?

I wouldn't even consider this half baked bread as far as a full plan would go. Just outlines some of the claimable land in the metro boston area. The pink box on the left is Fenway park which I'd love to see turn into the beach volleyball court, and the pink box to the right is TD Garden which could either host gymnastics or basketball. The yellow box is our new convention center, the BCEC which is an ideal location for either the international broadcast center, or all of the indoor sports like judo, wrestling, table tennis, etc. A huge plus for Boston is how close and central to downtown Logan Airport is.

• Like 1

A render and details on Harvard Expansion plan. Note there's a really big area next to the stadium used for tennis courts, maybe a stadium expansion or a new one?

i-f031faea1789a822a9c5293755b12a08-Harva

1019_harvard-allston-620x442.jpg

10-19-12A%252C%2Bmore%2Bdetailed%2Bmap%2

• Like 1

I read about this in December... I believe this Harvard plan was released in Oct/Nov 2012. It almost looks like that bend in the Charles could still be a central hub of Olympic activity. Back in 94, Harvard was fully backing the bid for an 08 Games and had offered this huge chunk of land, now part of the extension plan, for build out of the Olympic Park. This is a 10yr plan for Harvard and it's only the early planning stages so it will be interesting to see if an official bid effort could sway or be adopted by their master plan.

A render and details on Harvard Expansion plan. Note there's a really big area next to the stadium used for tennis courts, maybe a stadium expansion or a new one?

i-f031faea1789a822a9c5293755b12a08-Harva

1019_harvard-allston-620x442.jpg

10-19-12A%252C%2Bmore%2Bdetailed%2Bmap%2

The Charles River going through Boston seems so reminiscent of the Thames River going through London.

• Like 2

well, Hahvahd did lose like a billion or 2 of their endowment during Larry Sumner's term, that was around 2008-2009. So that may have impacted the new master plan. And that U-shaped "renovation" is NOT going to do it. It was fine in 1896 and as the Archery venue in 2004, but the IAAF probably would not certify that. Besides, if this were a mini-Olympic park, it would at least need a subway station to service it.

If you take the Red Line to Harvard Station, it's just a 0.4mi walk across the bridge to that area. Also, there's been talk of extending a Green Line service to Allston. Governor Deval Patrick's State of the State Address focused hugely on raising our taxes by 1% to "give our citizens a 21st Century transportation network. Just imagine it", he said.

With 52 institutions of higher education in just the Boston area, there's no doubt that new facilities would be underutilized in a post Games Boston. The college's and universities would devour a new aquatic center or proper tennis facilities, if not an all out bidding war to own them.

well, Hahvahd did lose like a billion or 2 of their endowment during Larry Sumner's term, that was around 2008-2009. So that may have impacted the new master plan. And that U-shaped "renovation" is NOT going to do it. It was fine in 1896 and as the Archery venue in 2004, but the IAAF probably would not certify that. Besides, if this were a mini-Olympic park, it would at least need a subway station to service it.

Coming up with a venue list is fun. But it's the easy part. I have no doubt Boston could put together something both very functional, and with lots of "wow." Sailing at Newport, the Boston Marathon course. Basketball on the parquet floor of the can't-call-it-TDBank-garden. Anything in Fenway.

But what's the "story." Will Boston inspire a generation? Revitalize a city? Transform a nation? The IOC voters are looking for more than a great city that is capable of being a fine host.

Coming up with a venue list is fun. But it's the easy part. I have no doubt Boston could put together something both very functional, and with lots of "wow." Sailing at Newport, the Boston Marathon course. Basketball on the parquet floor of the can't-call-it-TDBank-garden. Anything in Fenway.

But what's the "story." Will Boston inspire a generation? Revitalize a city? Transform a nation? The IOC voters are looking for more than a great city that is capable of being a fine host.

Too early for all that surely? They need to do the "easy" part first. The marketing and soft focus comes later.

London's message didn't really come to the fore until the final year of the bidding process; basically when Seb Coe came on board. Prove yourself technically, shortlist, then worry about that kind of thing.

That said, Boston will have to compete against other US Cities before it even gets presented to the IOC I suppose. So it'll have to think about things earlier than nations that have one major contender. But I'd still say you look at technicalities first then worry about the message. From reading this thread it sounds like Boston is a long way from having the technical side of any bid pinned down. That's fair enough because it's a long way out yet, but that does need to come first.

Too early for all that surely? They need to do the "easy" part first. The marketing and soft focus comes later.

This is just my opinion, but I think some of the "soft" stuff should come first. While "inspire a generation" may have come later, the London bid was always about revitializing East London. At some point the IOC voters are going to want to know *why* Boston wants to host the Olymipics. If they aren't going to be able to come up with a better answer than "because we can" there's no sense spending the time and money on the technical stuff.

Well, the fact that Boston's veneralbe educational institutions alone will be furnishing and acquiring new faciltiies should be legacy enough. And remember, Boston is called the Athens of North America, so that alone, modified a little, can be (one of) Boston's themes. And Boston's Marathon alone, the oldest, on-going marathon race after the Olympics, is another great feather to strut in their cap!! A city like Boston does not have to INVENT some legacy fantasy. Such a rare city lending itself to host the premier sporting event of the planet, should be enough.

• Like 1

The answer is that it will inspire a generation. It's a lot easier said than done but I think there are so many different story lines Boston could write for the nation. We are that gleaming city on a hill, a place where much of this great nation began. Boston is a city that fosters radical thinking and innovation and would be a great representation of what the United States has to offer to the world.

A bid for 2024 will greatly help Boston's reputation as being not so friendly and welcoming. It's biggest hurdle back in the 1994 exploratory bid was how Boston was perceived and still to this day struggles with it's image of being a bit rough around the edges and no accepting. It's ironic in a way that our state is so progressive when it comes to equal rights & marriage equality but the city definitely could use a bit more diversity.

A bid for 2024 will greatly help Boston's reputation as being not so friendly and welcoming. It's biggest hurdle back in the 1994 exploratory bid was how Boston was perceived and still to this day struggles with it's image of being a bit rough around the edges and no accepting.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a proud Masshole who loves Boston. But this got me thinking. Outside of any sporting event in Boston you'll find tons of illegal t-shirt sellers with such whitty slogans as "Jeter Swallows." I wonder what those guys will be selling during Boston 2024... a picture of Calvin peeing on a Chinese team logo?

Don't get me wrong... I'm a proud Masshole who loves Boston. But this got me thinking. Outside of any sporting event in Boston you'll find tons of illegal t-shirt sellers with such whitty slogans as "Jeter Swallows." I wonder what those guys will be selling during Boston 2024... a picture of Calvin peeing on a Chinese team logo?

Well, a future BOCOG can only control images with all the official wording, including "Boston 2024" or "2028," whenever it may take place. But anyone can put out something which says "Boston"; and that's part of being a free enterprise system.

This is just my opinion, but I think some of the "soft" stuff should come first. While "inspire a generation" may have come later, the London bid was always about revitializing East London. At some point the IOC voters are going to want to know *why* Boston wants to host the Olymipics. If they aren't going to be able to come up with a better answer than "because we can" there's no sense spending the time and money on the technical stuff.

But that all can also be born out of the planning. If Boston is going to trumpet its sports culture along with its history as well as the large number of universities in the region (which makes it fairly similar to Philadelphia in that regard), and especially if the venue plan would be to include the areas near Harvard and MIT, that's part of their narrative right there.

I never would have guessed that the presence of all the Massholes (being a New Yorker, I'm glad you and others embrace that term) actually could be considered a negative against them. Again, I'm a proud New Yorker who argue to anyone that NYC is the greatest city in the world, but I feel like the 2012 bid tried to over-use that idea and why 5 seconds after the vote was done, the collective mood of New York was "whatever, let's move on to something else." Whereas a city like Boston or Philadelphia can say "we're under-appreciated, hosting an Olympics will help take us to the next level of world class cities, even if it's not already there like a London or a New York or a Sydney.

Whereas a city like Boston or Philadelphia can say "we're under-appreciated, hosting an Olympics will help take us to the next level of world class cities, even if it's not already there like a London or a New York or a Sydney.

YES YES YES!

Whereas a city like Boston or Philadelphia can say "we're under-appreciated, hosting an Olympics will help take us to the next level of world class cities, even if it's not already there like a London or a New York or a Sydney.

The only problem with that, is that it's pitching what the Olympics will do for the city, whereas the IOC like to hear what the city will do for the games.

The only problem with that, is that it's pitching what the Olympics will do for the city, whereas the IOC like to hear what the city will do for the games.

Very fair point. Okay, so how about spinning it this way.. use the whole college/university aspect of the city that they could wind up basing the bid on and say how it will turn Boston into a true center of youth sport in the United States. A little far-fetched maybe since many other cities could make a similar claim, but it's certainly something different than the legacy left in Los Angeles and Atlanta or what New York and Chicago were offering.