No Actually that was Scrapped EARLY ON in THE BID! Check Again... And the Point was it's in 5 different Burroughs AND ANOTHER STATE!

For a bid that spent nearly 10 years in planning stages, I'd hardly call a month before the vote "early on in the bid"

Since some of the finer points of this discussion have gotten lost in all the shouting, here's the point you need to understand.. a bid can have some of the venues spread out. But there needs to be a main centerpiece stadium as a part of the bid that meets certain requirements in terms of location and seating. Any bid that fails to meet these requirements isn't going to get very far. Harvard Stadium can be used as a venue, but it won't be the main stadium unless it's demolished and re-built from scratch. Fenway Park (and old Yankee Stadium is a bad comparison since that was going to be used for baseball) will not be the main stadium unless the Red Sox kick themselves out and head elsewhere, and I don't see that happening. And Gillette Stadium can be A venue, but it is not suitable to be the main venue for the Ceremonies and/or the Athletics competition and that's even if they did re-model it and increase the capacity. Like I said earlier, I don't expect you or anyone involved with the Exploratory Committee to have the answer to that one at this point, but that doesn't mean giving us a laundry list of venues (which any big U.S. city can do) solves the number one problem that pretty much every U.S. city is going to have to figure out in order to submit a potential winning bid to the IOC.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one is saying that you can't use existing infrastructure, but 10 miles is still MUCH closer than 20+ miles for the Main stadium, like Gillette stadium is to Boston. And a city also can't use a stadium that will only accommodate half of what a typical SUMMER Olympic stadium seats.

how is 70,000 HALF of 80,000?

Gillette Stadium holds 70,000 and can EASILY be Upgraded Did you not Read the List of Stadiums? And the Superbowl being held in 18 days at the Mercedes Superdome holds 4,000 more people then Gillette .. 4,000

Rio 88,000

London 80,000

Beijing 90,000 (population!)

Athens 70,000 what same!?

Sydney - insane LOL

Atlanta 85,000

Anyways all I was saying is its doable... Not once did I ever say that Gillette should be the Olympic Stadium... I clearly stated that Boston has Infrastructure that is comprable to other cities and has the inovation and economy to upgrade and build not to mention the top architects of the world build and bid to build here ANYTIME it's possible like I.M. Pei for instance... We have the land, we have the knowledge, we have the sports and we have the drive... and there are clear examples of numerous cluster olympics that have been held, that are being held and that have bid to be held so nothing is off the table for our city other then the heavy weight contenders and ignorant refusal to believe we are anything they have heard in cheap stories

I admire your passion and your vision. I certainly don't expect you to have a plan laid out at this early stage that denotes all of the venues and their locations. But if you're going to advocate for Boston 2024, you need to be a little more educated, especially to a crowd like this who follows these things on a regular basis. When you say something like "if a Baseball Stadium can accommodate 40,000+ people why can't it host an Opening and Closing Ceremonies?" (and add an LOL at the end of it), that pesky little seating capacity requirement is not a small issue. When you bring up Gillette stadium, the distance is not a small issue. And please, it's insulting to the Olympics to compare them to the Gay Games (which, need I remind you, Boston lost out on to Cleveland!)

I think that's part of the problem here. You're holding Boston to the standards of the Gay Games or maybe even the Youth Olympics. That's all well and good, but if Boston is serious about bidding for the Summer Olympics, far and away the world's largest sporting event, they need to be held to a much higher standard in order to compete with other world cities. I don't question your knowledge of all things Boston, but where your bases of comparison are the Gay Games and the Winter Olympics, you're not exactly making a compelling argument for Boston.

There's nothing wrong with compiling a list of all the existing stadiums and infrastructure Boston has to offer, but almost any large city can do that and many could come up with an equally impressive list of venues. It's a good place to start, but it would take a little more than a remodel to make Harvard Stadium or Fenway Park into 1 of the main Olympic venues. Boston may be as viable as other U.S. cities, but unless they can put together a plan (and again, I certainly don't expect you to have all the particulars now) that makes them shine over the competition that could include the likes of major world cities like Paris and Tokyo, they're not going to get very far.

No city in the U.S. has a plan together in January 2013... nor should they this early in the game. The City of Boston has until 2015 to work on a study and it's bidding materials so if you all want to fight about this being real or not for two years on a blog, this will be quite entertaining. The State House filed a bill on Friday, the Mayor isn't on board until he see's some concrete studies done, and yes the studies will be done. There's nothing else to report other than the State House is actively trying to move legislation along (which is a slow process) and an outside committee of 15 people are working on a study.

how is 70,000 HALF of 80,000?

Gillette Stadium holds 70,000 and can EASILY be Upgraded Did you not Read the List of Stadiums?

I was referring to Fenway Park, which seats 37,500, & which you brought up in your earlier posts, & then went on to comparing it to past WINTER Olympic stadiums.

No city in the U.S. has a plan together in January 2013... nor should they this early in the game. The City of Boston has until 2015 to work on a study and it's bidding materials so if you all want to fight about this being real or not for two years on a blog, this will be quite entertaining. The State House filed a bill on Friday, the Mayor isn't on board until he see's some concrete studies done, and yes the studies will be done. There's nothing else to report other than the State House is actively trying to move legislation along (which is a slow process) and an outside committee of 15 people are working on a study.

Is there any links to this, other than you just mentioning it? I think that would be greatly appreciated by all here.

Good to hear. The Summer Games advocates here (I can think of one in particular who so far has NOT yet chimed in on this thread) are so starved for possible US 2024 bids that your appearance, certainly caused a hubbub. I think Boston is a great city, and at the end of the day, if it should be Boston, I hope it can be prepared to meet and match possibly the likes of Durban and Paris in the final showdown in fall 2017. Be ready to have a $50 million warchest as well; I am sure you will hear that from the USOC when you start talks with them.

I don't doubt this all is real, but I'm very curious to know how serious these efforts are. And much like FYI, I'm very curious to hear about what else is going on behind the scenes because I haven't seen anything regarding this legislature or related information. Remember, you came to us with this information, so you can't be all that surprised that we're asking questions and looking for more of what you can offer.

It's not yet posted publicly but its Bill #SD289, presented by Senator Eileen M. Donoghue and co-sponsored by Representative Sarah Peake, both chairwomen of the Joint Committee on Tourism, Arts and Cultural Development. Their deadline is Friday, January 18th, 2013 to file the bill and until February 1st to add co-sponsors to the bill. It probably won't be posted on http://www.malegislature.gov until after February 1st.

I know everyone is eager to see press releases and concrete information to make this more official but until then, you'll all have to keep tight.

Love the enthusiasm! I can already hear Paul Revere running through the streets in a track suit yelling "The British are coming, and so are the Swedes, Canadians, Australians...!!"

http://www.boston-2024.org

I am surprised though, if it's so official and organised, it hasn't had any mention in the media as far as I can tell. For such a huge deal as Boston exploring an Olympic bid, you'd think it would actually be front page news in Boston. You're here and on Facebook - you're not exactly keeping it secret! Why no press mentions if it all seems to be going through proper, if preliminary, channels?

I was just told by the legislative director that once the bill is filed, it's public so here it is:

SENATE DOCKET, NO. SD289 FILED ON: 01/10/2013

SENATE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No.
No. SD289

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

PRESENTED BY:

Eileen M. Donoghue

CO-SPONSOR:

Representative Sarah Peake

To the Honorable Senate and House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in General

Court assembled:

The undersigned legislators and/or citizens respectfully petition for the passage of the accompanying Resolve:

to establish a commission to study the feasibility of hosting the summer Olympics.

SENATE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No. SD289

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

In the Year Two Thousand Thirteen

RESOLVE to establish a commission to study the feasibility of hosting the summer Olympics

Resolved,

that a special commission is hereby established to study the feasibility of hosting the summer Olympics. The commission shall consist of 9 members: 3 persons appointed by the governor, 2 persons to be appointed by the president of the senate, 1 person to be appointed by the minority leader of the senate, 2 persons to be appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives, and 1 person to be appointed by the minority leader of the house of representatives.

Said study shall include, but not be limited to, the prospects of working with other New England states and should seek input from local government and organizations, especially in our larger cities and other organizations and agencies. The commission shall review all aspects of a prospective summer Olympics in Boston and the surrounding area, including, but not limited to, infrastructure, transportation, lodging, locations for events, costs, benefits, and any other factors the commission deems relevant.

The commission shall submit its findings and recommendations, together with drafts of legislation necessary to carry those recommendations into effect by filing the same with the clerks of the house of representatives and senate, the house and senate committees on ways and means, and the joint committee on tourism, arts and cultural development not later than January 1, 2014.

Speaking as an individual, the creative work is my favorite part. Please no commentary on my profile logo...it represents a clipper ship AND torch which is against the rules for a bid logo as it cannot incorporate the flame nor rings.

That's encouraging. U know u're stuff. So the "TeamRik" is NOT part of the team but just another wild-eyed, unabashed enthusiast? ;)

That's encouraging. U know u're stuff. So the "TeamRik" is NOT part of the team but just another wild-eyed, unabashed enthusiast? ;)

TeamRik may very well end up helping out the team. I'd rather him be the attack dog while I don't say anything too heated : ) He knows his stuff and I'd rather not waste my time listing out venues, accommodations, and everything else that will end up being researched by professional consulting firms. My role is the creative and social media chair...I'm leaving the other juicy stuff for the professionals.

TeamRik may very well end up helping out the team. I'd rather him be the attack dog while I don't say anything too heated : ) He knows his stuff and I'd rather not waste my time listing out venues, accommodations, and everything else that will end up being researched by professional consulting firms. My role is the creative and social media chair...I'm leaving the other juicy stuff for the professionals.

Well, he'll need to get used to people picking holes in schemes. If he think's we're a tough audience (and I think more of us are generally supportive of the notion, even if we carefully and critically scrutinise any detailed plans), just wait till skeptical residents and tax payers start venting their thoughts on a big Olympic-related spend.

I can't believe that a Boston bid is happening! This is so exciting! Taxes are not that hated in MA so I don't think people would have an issue with that. It would be interesting to see how the whole city react to an official bid to host the Olympics. If Bostonians will get excited about the hosting Olympics the same way they do when the Pats or the Red Sox win a major competition, public support won't be an issue at all.

So all this discussion about where the Olympic stadium would be, reminded of some articles I've read last year. Now I'm not saying this would become a main stadium, but we can think about the possibilities and expansion. In 2011 a new REvolution stadium with 20,000 seats capacity was proposed and they're eager to bring it in the city. Studies points either Sommerville or Revere both satellite towns (less than 5 miles from the Bostons Government Center) here's the link :

http://m.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2012/10/revolution-considering-assembly-square.html?r=full

This following link is about Harvards Master expansion plan. New sporting venues and renovation of the school's main stadia:

http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/2012/10/19/harvard-offers-more-details-massive-expansion-into-allston/Hw3QwPapgpC9Qfba0nwEyH/story.html

Just want to throw some facts there, and I'm sorry I'm not very good with words.

And I'm really digging this http://boston-2024.org/ color and graphic choices

I can't believe that a Boston bid is happening! This is so exciting!

Well, it's not 'happening', as of yet. It's supposedly going to be studied IF a Boston bid is suppose to come to fruition.

I said earlier that a Boston locale could be an interesting setting for an Olympics. If this is going to be reviewed, I'm going to be very intrigued by their findings & if a bid is indeed going to be in the works.

Why not? A little infrastructure, added temporary seats... why demolish what's there?

He did say that it CANNOT accommodate a track unless it's redone completely. Will Harvard go for that? Can Harvard & the Committee pool some $550 million for a new stadium? Plus, would there be enough land for a warm-up track beside it as well??

Why not? A little infrastructure, added temporary seats... why demolish what's there?

Have you seen what's there?..

harvard-stadium.jpg

Sorry everyone for the large image. Not exactly a lot of room there you can do much with without altering roads and other facilities. Let alone that you're not fitting a 400 meter track in that space. It would take A LOT more than a little infrastructure and some temporary seating to turn this into a centerpiece Olympic Stadium.

It occurs to me in looking at the image and having been there a couple of times (albeit not in a few years).. between the shape and the all-concrete seating, this stadium reminds me a lot of Panathinaiko Stadium in Athens. So maybe this is your archery venue here. That would require almost no changes to the existing stadium. The area across from Harvard Square seems like it could play host to more than a couple of venues perhaps, but I don't think that works as the main stadium.

He did say that it CANNOT accommodate a track unless it's redone completely. Will Harvard go for that? Can Harvard & the Committee pool some $550 million for a new stadium? Plus, would there be enough land for a warm-up track beside it as well??

1 more image for everyone..

522kpfmbycww950i.jpg

There's a lot of room there to put mulitple venues without having to ruin the integrity of Harvard Stadium. So that could definitely be a cluster right there (and you have T stop relatively nearby, so that helps). But again, in order to put the main stadium there, you'd probably have to demolish and/or re-build a lot of what is currently there.

Archived