We're gonna get Beijing in 2022 (AGAIN!),and Boston (the US AGAIN) or Hamburg (Germany AGAIN) in 2024. That's when the Olympic Games get suddenly insanely boring....How about we go back to Russia for the 2026 WOG and Atlanta for the 2028 SOG!

Et puis merde hein.

Don't let history cloud the circumstances. Beijing getting the Winter Olympics is about everyone else dropping out and them just being there at the right time. The same is true for Atlanta 1996. Don't blame the host cities for winning. That Paris hasn't hosted an Olympics in 100 years and Atlanta has is not because Atlanta is a better city and/or more suited for the Olympics. They just happened to bid at the right time and were the best option in that particular cycle. The IOC can only choose from the cities that bid.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're gonna get Beijing in 2022 (AGAIN!),and Boston (the US AGAIN) or Hamburg (Germany AGAIN) in 2024. That's when the Olympic Games get suddenly insanely boring....How about we go back to Russia for the 2026 WOG and Atlanta for the 2028 SOG!

Et puis merde hein.

Stuff the sulking.

I sure hope that no one on the Paris 2024 bid team, or any other people in direct relation, have the same type of huffy attitude like a certain new French poster here. That'll cost them some votes in the end if not nipped in the butt right away.

I sure hope that no one on the Paris 2024 bid team, or any other people in direct relation, have the same type of huffy attitude like a certain new French poster here. That'll cost them some votes in the end if not nipped in the butt right away.

Isn't that what some people partly believe was the reason Paris lost in 2012, some dumbass on their committee made a public comment on how horrible British food was? Fingers crossed it happens again and either Hamburg or Boston take the win!

That was French president Jacques Rogge who made those comments only a couple of days before the vote, & it's always been a topic of contention around here whether his remarks did indeed cost Paris the 2012 Games or not, since the vote was so close.

But hopefully, that won't be the case this time around. Since if we're talking about Paris, Hamburg & Boston, I'm sure most would pick Paris. I'm not going to paint the entire French nation with one brush over dumb remarks by some Frenchmen. And I'm sure most in the IOC would objectively do the same if some hothead did indeed slip the tongue during the 2024 campaign.

That was French president Jacques Rogge who made those comments only a couple of days before the vote, & it's always been a topic of contention around here whether his remarks did indeed cost Paris the 2012 Games or not, since the vote was so close.

But hopefully, that won't be the case this time around. Since if we're talking about Paris, Hamburg & Boston, I'm sure most would pick Paris. I'm not going to paint the entire French nation with one brush over dumb remarks by some Frenchmen. And I'm sure most in the IOC would objectively do the same if some hothead did indeed slip the tongue during the 2024 campaign.

I think you mean Jacques Chirac, not Rogge

So much hatred for me. Love you too guys! ^_^

It's funny how when a French guy says that France should have the Olympics because it's been 100 years it's wrong, but when it come to the US: OMG, it's been 20 years, we should have the Games right the f*** now.

Anyway, don't count on Boston for getting those Games.

I think you mean Jacques Chirac, not Rogge

Of course I meant Jacques Chirac. That was obviously a typo/mistake on my part.

So much hatred for me. Love you too guys! ^_^

It's funny how when a French guy says that France should have the Olympics because it's been 100 years it's wrong, but when it come to the US: OMG, it's been 20 years, we should have the Games right the f*** now.

Anyway, don't count on Boston for getting those Games.

I doubt anyone here "hates" you (at least for now, anyway). What we hate is your constant bemoaning, whining, crying & as Stefan nicely put it, your "sulking" about why Paris should get the Games over anyone else, especially the U.S. & to a lesser extent Germany, in this case.

When you write obnoxious crap like this:

Oh come on! When was last time the US hosted their last Summer Olympics (Winter Olympics are not the same)? 1996.

Last time France hosted Summer Olympics? 1924.

ENOUGH with America, 4 games between 1980 and 2002. Time for something NEW!

But of course you're all Americans, so you want the Games in your country, AGAIN!!!

And this..

Well Ok, if Olympic Games are all about the US and Germany, so be it. I'm tired of discussing this. Bonsoir, messieurs dames.

And like this..

Et puis merde hein.

..you're doing much more than just merely "saying" that France hasn't hosted a Sunmer Olympics in 100 years. We all know that already. So no need to constantly rub it in our faces like an annoying 10 year old.

Although, I find your double standards quite humorous. You claim the Summer Olympics are different than the Winter Olympics so the argument of Paris not hosting in 100 years has more merit. Yet you're counting the last two Winter Games in the U.S. against us. How convenient. Let's not forget that after the U.S., France is the second country that has hosted the most Olympic Games in the world. So careful when making those types of arguments, can they can just as easily be used against you.

When you first joined on, you seemed to be level headed, objective & informative. Now you're becoming like a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum cuz you're not getting your way (sounds familiar in several cases here lately). Which btw, if you've actually been objectively reading all of these threads around here, you'd see that most American posters here aren't really "counting on" Boston on getting the Games. So IDK where you seem to be getting that illusion from.

I for one think that Paris is going to be the one to beat. So in essense, no it's not wrong to say that Paris hasn't hosted in 100 years. As a matter of fact, if Paris 2024 can cleverly come up with a way (like the infomous Rio 2016 map) to tastefully illustrate their 100 year gap from the Summer Olympics, I think that'd be great.

What's wrong, though, is when you become abrasive, obnoxious & annoying about pointing out the very obvious. Something I hope the French bid team (& it's affiliates), stay far, FAR away from. Believe it or not, as an American, believe Paris has the odds much in their favor. While Boston is becoming a big liability to the USOC with each passing day.

I find it funny that JO2024 is getting all worked up over the Big Papi joke that I made. That was in no way a comment by me on the fact that Boston deserves the Games over Paris. In fact, I'm probably more on JO's side on this that the Games should be spread around and that Paris is the best choice for 2024. Why would I, as a Canadian, say "this is our Olympics"? I have no vested interest in this bidding race and am merely a spectator seeing as there is no imminent bid from Toronto.

What can I say? I was a little bit drunk and somehow uspet, so I did express my opinion in a childish way, and still, can't help but to think it even when I'm not drunk. I have a very bad feeling about this 2024 race and I'm pretty sure Paris won't get it this time either. No, not because they'll act as I do but I don't know. You can never know. Anyways, let's move on and get back on the topic.

So, Boston 2024...

Don't have a defeatist attitude, either. I also don't have any vested interest in this race, even though, yes the USOC does have a bid in here. But it's not, as they say; "our best foot forward" anyway.

But you & the French people need to focus on what Paris can offer to the Olympics. Why Paris would make a great setting for the 2024 Olympic Games. Focus on your strengths & learn from any past stumbles/mistakes, etc. And the results could be nothing but a win for you & France. If many outsiders can have faith in your city (& country), than so should you.

As far as Boston 2024 goes, with the shaky way things are going over there lately, there may not even be a Boston bid any longer by this time next year. So that would mean one less city to deal with.

If only we, the French people, were the ones behind this bid..... But we don't really get to make decisions about it, as of yet. Yes, I agree, they need to play it very definitely this time, and learn from their mistakes from previous bids. To me, it looks like that's what they're doing, but as I said, you can never know. Who who have thought back then in 2005 that Paris would lose.

No, Paris and France don't owe the Games at all, no more than any other country. My childish attitude was just me, wishing to see the Games in France. I'm not a big big fan of the WoG, and that's why I'd rather we have the SoG next time we get the Games. Time will tell...

Boston. I read that the support has been increasing, they already have consultants registered. I've been exaggerating, cause I actually think Boston will still be in the race by 2017, though I definitely think that other US cities (LA or San Francisco) could have been a smarter choice.

In 2005, Paris lost to another mega-European capital, London. An upset yes. But a total surprise in the end? No. Not to mention the other two big European capitals on the list, Madrid & Moscow. Plus the alpha of all alpha U.S. cities, New York City (although their bid had issues).

That's not the case this time around. Hamburg is no London or Berlin. And while Rome is Rome, they're facing very difficult financial issues at the moment. And while Boston's support may be increasing, it's still very, very weak. So I still wouldn't 'count on it'. San Francisco wouldn't have been a better choice in that aspect either. Had the USOC chosen them instead, this Boston mess would've seemed like a walk in the park in comparison. San Francisco has a lot of very strong & vocal NIMBY's. It would've akin to New York 2012 IMHO.

Los Angeles was the only one that made the most sense outta the four U.S. cities in most aspects. But that's not what the USOC chose. And that's what they have to deal with now. Odds are though, it's not looking very likely. I see the 2024 odds better for Paris than the 2012 ones were, comparatively speaking. And unless someone else truly compelling comes out of the woodwork (like South Africa changing their mind & finally taking the plunge), odds are on Paris FTW.

If only we, the French people, were the ones behind this bid..... But we don't really get to make decisions about it, as of yet. Yes, I agree, they need to play it very definitely this time, and learn from their mistakes from previous bids. To me, it looks like that's what they're doing, but as I said, you can never know. Who who have thought back then in 2005 that Paris would lose.

No, Paris and France don't owe the Games at all, no more than any other country. My childish attitude was just me, wishing to see the Games in France. I'm not a big big fan of the WoG, and that's why I'd rather we have the SoG next time we get the Games. Time will tell...

Boston. I read that the support has been increasing, they already have consultants registered. I've been exaggerating, cause I actually think Boston will still be in the race by 2017, though I definitely think that other US cities (LA or San Francisco) could have been a smarter choice.

See, that's the trap you shouldn't fall into. You're starting to sound like Tulsa and Pixie with these bad feelings about the 2024 race. Are these bad feelings you're having based on what's going on now or is it more about past history?

The thing that I don't quite understand.. 2012 was a loaded field. If nothing else, there was 1 very solid contender in London. So if Parisians and the French were that convinced that they couldn't lose, that's on you guys for under-estimating London. It was a close race and London just barely came out on top.

Again though, and FYI alluded to it.. the circumstances line up better this time than they did 10 years ago. It would be foolish to be over-confident and get caught up in a mindset of "how could we lose," but where the back-and-forth between Americans and French - especially on a board like this - turns ugly is where you forget about how these races went down. Los Angeles was unopposed for 1984. Atlanta was in a weak field for 1996. Contrast that with Paris up against Barcelona in a rigged race for 1992 and up in a neck-and-neck battle with London for 2012.

That all said, if you're heard from most of us here who are from the United States, you'd see our opinions of Boston aren't very high. Even if the support is there, it doesn't seem like the right time and place for them. I think they'll hang on to stay in the running (and I don't think the USOC is going to reverse course at this point and choose another city), but I don't like their chances. And when it comes to Paris, all of those intangibles probably won't need to come into play if they have a solid enough bid and are able to play that up.

No no no. I didn't really mean to look back. Paris lost for good reasons in 1985, 2001 and 2005. I'm a bit more worried about now, how things are going. It's looking good and all, but like it did in the past. And when I see that the Sport Minister visited Japan about a week ago and didn't even get to meet with the Tokyo 2020 committee, it's quite a missed opportunity....Lobbying should start about now!! They say they're not going political on this one, but then NKM (right wing), member of Paris city council, disscussed Sydney 2000 and Paris 2024 with an Australian Minister. She did it whithout being asked to, and this was quite a political move. So this is about all those kind of mistakes they're already making. Paris could easily lose to Boston or Hamburg if they keep doing things like those.

One might also call that "pulling a Chirac"...

I for one think that Paris is going to be the one to beat. So in essense, no it's not wrong to say that Paris hasn't hosted in 100 years. As a matter of fact, if Paris 2024 can cleverly come up with a way (like the infomous Rio 2016 map) to tastefully illustrate their 100 year gap from the Summer Olympics, I think that'd be great.

Maybe like a history book or a visual timeline showing the massive gap: "What's a century between friends?"

Yeah, hello clichés! Where are you from again? Let's have some fun! ;)

Texas. Let the jokes begin...lol.

Gonna have to figure that one out for yourself! B)

lol...hell if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have made such a point to explore Houston last time I was there. Houston really should bid for the games sometime this century.

Texas. Let the jokes begin...lol.

lol...hell if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have made such a point to explore Houston last time I was there. Houston really should bid for the games sometime this century.

Oh really??? What were you in Houston for??? And apologies for a mess Houston is the way it's organized. As far as city planning goes, we are known as the largest city in the US without zoning laws. The city rejected it 3 times, the most recent time was in 1993 I think. But it's part of how quirky and interesting Houston is. But we definitely have the area and facilities to host a great games. And the OC would certainly focus on the history of TX, which can be for an interesting OC.

So what did you have time to visit while here??? If you like art, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Menil collection are a must! As compact as it is, our zoo is pretty good. They will be opening up a large gorilla exhibit towards the end of next month. Oh and the Paleontology exhibit at our science museum is such a work of art!

Archived