I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the fact that the "No Boston Olympics" group has some MAJOR copyright infringements on all of their sites, interviews and the fact they're profiting from both written intellectual property but also visual logos etc.

Do you think action should be taken against them? I am pretty amazed that they sent physical letters to both the IOC and USOC with those blaring infringements.

Nah, let them throw this bid overboard like tea on ships.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming we take the Agenda 2020 folks at their world, how does this help Boston?

I don't really see much need for Boston to move events outside the metro area. The only thing that really makes sense to me would be putting tennis in New Haven, which they probably could have gotten away with without any 2020 mumbo-jumbo.

Humm that's funny last I checked if someone posts something in a specific room/thread you respond in that specific location, it's not in my interest to read the same contradictive statements in multiple locations.

It's been a number #1 topic of convo and debate in this specific room so either folks don't want to admit the changes are going to happen, that I was right on this specific topic or they're just playing the typical forum games.

And as I have stated previously this is the number #1 most popular viewed and responded to thread regarding future bids other than Toronto which is irrelevant and started 2+ years before Boston...

Like you, I am someone who only comments in the Boston 2024 bid. My limited participation probably doesn't I grew up in Massachusetts and sometimes I feel that my local knowledge is worthwhile. However, I am not arrogant enough to assume that the rest of GB ought to shut down just to cater to us Boston enthusiasts.

My limited participation probably doesn't

Too bad there's no option to edit one's posts here.

What action would you like taken against them? And by whom? I know you are taken aback by anyone who doesn't fully support the Boston 2024 Olympic effort but regardless of their actions and intentions, it can't be ignored that there is opposition to holding an Olympics in Boston, particularly if they are this loud. We know this is par for the course for virtually any city bidding for the Olympics, but it's not like a lawsuit against them will shut them up or make them go away.

My thoughts exactly. Okay Rik, you get your wish, let's discuss Agenda 2020 here. Tell us how you believe this affects Boston's bid relative to the other cities bidding for the Olympics. Which is to say.. how does Agenda 2020 help Boston beat out the competition, first domestically and then internationally. You can't tell us it's a big deal for Boston as if it means nothing for LA or DC or San Fran. Boston still needs to win the approval of the USOC before any of this becomes beneficial for them.

Thats funny because I have never been against someone who doesnt want Boston I've only said 1,000 times which you choose to ignore that I think Boston should be the first US City to bid for the Youth Olympics..

And the IOC and USOC take action against Copyright infringement on a DAILY basis... I don't care what city it is The Olympic name is not something that should be associated with a negative action against a city or group and they're profiting from it taking donations and selling products, they also post complete lies and no facts if they had facts they would have more support and respect.

The rest I will continue to ignore, I dont care how much each of you attack me I know my worth is outside of this thread I enjoy watching people with no knowledge argue about things that have nothing to do with our bid or the games.

Like you, I am someone who only comments in the Boston 2024 bid. My limited participation probably doesn't I grew up in Massachusetts and sometimes I feel that my local knowledge is worthwhile. However, I am not arrogant enough to assume that the rest of GB ought to shut down just to cater to us Boston enthusiasts.

My limited participation probably doesn't

Too bad there's no option to edit one's posts here.

I concur however I have never been arrogant. I am constantly attacked just to be attacked they never actually respond on the facts or things i post because they know it's the truth, they always instantly go after me, or grammar, or spelling or say it's the wrong thread when this is the only thread that we had all the conversations on, etc. etc. etc.

Assuming we take the Agenda 2020 folks at their world, how does this help Boston?

I don't really see much need for Boston to move events outside the metro area. The only thing that really makes sense to me would be putting tennis in New Haven, which they probably could have gotten away with without any 2020 mumbo-jumbo.

There are 40 parts of Agenda 2020 and it determines if pretty much any city will bid further. Clearly no one follows any part of this or how all the 2022 cities said if the Agenda had passed sooner they would have never dropped out...

Seriously TeamRik, who the hell do you think you are? Quit being a jackass. You're calling a bunch of people who have spent their whole lives following the Olympic movement idiots. Your calling a bunch of people who actually post daily idiots, when you yourself don't even go outside of this thread, meaning you couldn't possibly know anything about us. I mean seriously dude, what is your fcking problem? Get over yourself.

We're all more than happy to discuss Boston with reasonable people like warpedreality. We just don't need your insane arrogance and defensiveness, that's all.

And from personal experience as a Board Member of Bostons Bid for the 2014 Gay Games which is they LARGEST Sporting and Cultural Event in the world to and above par to the Olympics, this is an extremely feasible opportunity for Boston. Boston couldn't be a better fit for the Summer Olympics, and all of the cities and surrounding Sports Teams & Owners are fully on board to this kind of event coming to the city of Boston.

That was the first post you made on this forum. Telling us what a great opportunity this is for Boston and how perfect they are for the Olympics and how everyone is on board. And feeding us this nonsense how the Gay Games are on par to the Olympics. And from there, you fed us all sorts of nonsensical bullshit and when anyone challenged you, it was the rest of us not doing our research. That's been your M.O. here from day one and we have long since gotten sick of you being a condescending, arrogant prick. You're telling us this is the place where "we had all the conversations" (no.. this is where YOU had a conversation, that is when you feel like dropping by) and telling us we're not following this when virtually everyone else here has been talking all about the 2022 bids through the whole process.

You clearly have some knowledge and insight. Occasionally, you're nice enough to share that with us and engage in some useful discussion and debate. But give it up with this "hey, it's Rik, I'm here, everyone come over here and talk to me, give me your attention DAMNIT" act when this is a community here. Don't be a damn troll who thinks he's better than the better of us and then plays the part of the victim when anyone calls you out on it. The funny thing (you say LOL a lot, so apparently this is all funny to you) is that you asked to discuss Agenda 2020 here. That's what several of us are willing to do, but now you're no longer interested? 8 hours ago it was "OMG, how come no one responded to MY post about Agenda 2020" I guess you're over that now.

Rik, do us all a favor.. stop treating us like we're beneath you. If you do that, maybe you'll get some responses that don't seem like personal attacks. And we'll be happy to discuss Boston and Agenda 2020 with you. So.. discuss.

New Haven?? Putting one event over 100 miles away is hardly worthwhile, nor has it been in any plan I've heard of.

New Haven?? Putting one event over 100 miles away is hardly worthwhile, nor has it been in any plan I've heard of.

Boston has zero need for an exhibition tennis center. There is a beautiful center 2 1/2 hours away. If the IOC really believes in cutting costs and being "efficient," even if it means spreading the games out a bit, this is a perfect example.

But a tennis stadium, like a Beach Volleyball venue, is an easily built and dismantled structure. I wonder what the savings in cost will be of erecting a temporary tennis venue closer to the anchor city vs. the logistics of shuttling the tennis players and the press from the main Villages to the outlaying location 2.5 hours away? You have to weight the practicalities of one vs. the other.

But a tennis stadium, like a Beach Volleyball venue, is an easily built and dismantled structure. I wonder what the savings in cost will be of erecting a temporary tennis venue closer to the anchor city vs. the logistics of shuttling the tennis players and the press from the main Villages to the outlaying location 2.5 hours away? You have to weight the practicalities of one vs. the other.

Boston has zero need for an exhibition tennis center. There is a beautiful center 2 1/2 hours away. If the IOC really believes in cutting costs and being "efficient," even if it means spreading the games out a bit, this is a perfect example.

Why stop there.. there's an even more beautiful center an extra hour and a half down the road. Use that one instead and it wouldn't require any modifications/renovations as the one in New Haven would (and they'd probably need some to host 5 simultaneous tennis tournaments for the Olympics). Oh, and there's also the matter of..

SNAG-01883.jpg

Those sure look like tennis courts to me. Yes, there isn't a main venue that they would probably need, but that's probably a less than expensive structure to put up. As baron noted, that's probably cheaper and more efficient than a satellite venue a long ways away from Boston. So sure, Boston could propose using New Haven (which they haven't, and they probably won't). Let's see how that stacks them up against the other bids. Don't think Agenda 2020 will help them much there.

Precisely. It's amazing how some people are so eluded by these things, isn't it.

If tennis is to be held outside the Boston Metro area, there is also the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI only an hour drive away and also hosts a yearly ATP Tournament.

Also, a yearly ATP tennis tournament used to be held at the Longwood Cricket Club in nearby Newton, MA (About 5 miles from the proposed main stadium) using temporary stadia. I think the last tournament was held in 1999, but if it could be done then, they can easily put up an Olympic-caliber tennis competition now.

Also, a yearly ATP tennis tournament used to be held at the Longwood Cricket Club in nearby Newton, MA (About 5 miles from the proposed main stadium) using temporary stadia. I think the last tournament was held in 1999, but if it could be done then, they can easily put up an Olympic-caliber tennis competition now.

longwood.jpg

Gee, those look an awful lot like tennis courts there. Obviously would take some work to turn that into an Olympic venue, but for a city that's trying to push public transportation as a key component of their bid, the fact it's right next to a stop on the T is a big plus.

It's hard to imagine any Olympic bid's plans hinging on tennis. Any decent host should already have several suitable sites capable of hosting a tennis, golf, archery, wrestling, etc tournament. Maybe Harvard would consent to building a couple of new tennis stadiums, maybe they could host it in Newton. Maybe the IOC would allow them to use a site further away. Who cares. If the bid committee can find a way to get $15+ billion in government funding to make Boston 2024 happen they'll find a way to deal with the tennis venue.

If the bid committee can find a way to get $15+ billion in government funding to make Boston 2024 happen they'll find a way to deal with the tennis venue.

I thought all US Olympic bids are privately funded? Apart from paying for security costs and improvements to transportation infrastructure that were already in the pipeline, of course.

Good find! I guess I didn't realize there are tennis courts anywhere in Boston.

Note - Newport is a transportation disaster. So if for some reason a Boston committee wanted to go outside the city, it's not an option.

Rebuild the Sakonnet River rail bridge? The government is already pushing rail service to Fall River. If the bridge were rebuilt an extension to Newport could be done.

Okay, you ALL (Boston guys) have to understand that Agenda 2020 is not final, there are different proposals coming in and it all has to be approved by the IOC. Sure we can all talk theoretically about how one of the proposals will effect a Boston, but this proposal is not final and as of right now has NO effect on the city of Boston. So stop being stuck-up Massholes and use something called realism.

Now in all honesty I think that Boston would be a beautiful and exciting setting for the games and it would be my first pick for a North Eastern Games given NYC's complications with hosting (that Quaker has outlined many times throughout this forum). But from what we know I do not think the city is going in the right direction with their plan.

I thought all US Olympic bids are privately funded? Apart from paying for security costs and improvements to transportation infrastructure that were already in the pipeline, of course.

Yeah the bid, but not the games. In the past we were lucky to claim that, but a modern games will easily cost $15 billion dollars and I have a hard time seeing private investors forking up that much money. Even the taxpayers in SLC paid nearly 1.1 billion dollars for the 2002 Winter Games.

Yeah the bid, but not the games. In the past we were lucky to claim that, but a modern games will easily cost $15 billion dollars and I have a hard time seeing private investors forking up that much money. Even the taxpayers in SLC paid nearly 1.1 billion dollars for the 2002 Winter Games.

Was that $1.1B spent on venue construction? Or was it for security and transportation infrastructure? Even better, is there a document online where I can see SLC's entire budget?

Was that $1.1B spent on venue construction? Or was it for security and transportation infrastructure? Even better, is there a document online where I can see SLC's entire budget?

I'm not sure what your arguing. No, we don't have full budgetary documentation for Salt Lake City's Olympic games. Yes, federal funds were spent on venue-related construction. No, federal funds were not spent on actual arenas, only indirect services to support the arenas like sewage systems. Money is still money, though, and a Boston Olympics will require securing significant government funding.

An important point to note is that since the Los Angeles and Atlanta games a lot of other governments such as Canada for 2010 and the UK for 2012 have also started using sponsorship for funding. London had over a billion pounds in sponsorship revenue while Atlanta only had $300 million (a major increase even after inflation), and it was still a massive loss for the British taxpayer.

http://reporter-archive.mcgill.ca/Rep/r2901/pound.htm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/datablog/2012/jul/19/london-2012-olympic-sponsors-list

The cost of the Olympics has grown enormously since 1996, and the idea that since Los Angeles 84 and Atlanta 96 didn't cost the taxpayer much then an Olympics in 2024 won't cost the taxpayer a dime is frankly crazy. Just a few years after Atlanta the previous model was no longer able to function in SLC, and the government had to step in with earmarked funds to pay for the project.

Archived