• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I mean by saying Boston would be Atlanta all over again is that I think in terms of blips , the 'carnival' like atmosphere, and spread out venues all have a very high chance of being repeated in Boston.

Well this is the US after all so the risk of it being carnival-ish will always be there. And if the distance between venues is going to be something to seriously worry about, then the US probably shouldn't even bother bidding, at least not with any of its current cities that have put in a bid. There's limited room in what all current cities can do within its own city limits, so any US bid will have to find a way to circumvent that issue and make sure that public transportation is reliable and they figure out a plan to prevent too much traffic congestion. Or they can do what several other cities have done and promise them to be compact and then change some of their plans right after winning the right to host the Summer Olympics.

What I mean by saying Boston would be Atlanta all over again is that I think in terms of blips , the 'carnival' like atmosphere, and spread out venues all have a very high chance of being repeated in Boston.

Based on... what? Everything I have heard about venue location in Boston is that they plan on heavily using university infrastructure. Harvard, MIT, BU and Northeastern are all within a three mile radius of one another. The planned stadium site (assuming it's Cabot Yard) is a mile from downtown and about a half mile from the planned Village. All are reachable by public transport. Aside from rowing, sailing, and things like BMX, Boston's bid is about as compact as any American city's bid could be. LA's sprawls out over dozens of miles, in comparison.

About the carnival-like atmosphere, it may well come to pass, but that may be a said of every American bid. As someone who is not a native Bostonian, I can tell you that the level of reserve and the belief in "the proper way things ought to be done" is stronger here than any place I have ever lived. It is not in the New England DNA to be brash and crass and bold the way it might be in a place like Atlanta.

Why is it always necessary to point out the missteps of Atlanta in the context of a potential bidder, as if they are not aware to avoid those pitfalls? Right.. no one is smart enough to recognize those issues but us. The people in Boston (and other cities) who are pouring all sorts of time and money into this effort will be incapable of making this realization and thus are doomed to fail.

Come on, give these guys at least a little credit. We here all know that anyone who bids for an Olympics, particularly in the United States, is shooting for the stars and probably isn't going to succeed. But don't insult them by assuming they're going to be just like Atlanta. Did people think that about New York? About Chicago? That's probably a stupid question.. of course people here probably thought that.

So tell us.. what makes you think Boston would be Atlanta all over again? If you're going to cite spread out venues, at least we have some insights into what their venue plan might look like. But beyond that, why are you assuming there will be blips and a carnival atmosphere? Are you only assuming that about Boston or the other bidders as well?

Hot off the Press:
"It’s time to change the future of The Olympic Games!" Here are the IOC's just released recommendations which will make the Games a total new experience from bidding all the way through hosting legacies!

"Olympic Agenda 2020: the strategic roadmap for the future of the Olympic Movement unveiled"

http://www.olympic.org/fr/news/agenda-olympique-2020-la-feuille-de-route-strategique-pour-l-avenir-du-mouvement-olympique-devoilee/241063

Bob Kraft and new england revolution are looking to build a soccer in a site next to the proposed Boston Olympic stadium site

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/11/18/krafts-exploring-soccer-stadium-boston/s7p5krvDeH1J7UgjlEIFtM/story.html

Welcome to the pitfalls associated with urban planning..

Although some people familiar with the discussions said the Kraft proposal could conflict with the Olympic group’s efforts for the bigger stadium, others said there is enough room in the area to accommodate both facilities. The Olympic committee is focusing on a site on Widett Circle, just to the south of the city property, that hosts a collection of food wholesalers.

Kraft’s timing differs from the Boston Olympics group’s. One source said the sports mogul is pushing to have the soccer stadium in place within five years.

So therein lies the rub.. would Kraft's efforts to build an MLS Staium be helped or hurt by Boston's Olympic efforts? Because it seems a little wasteful to construct an MLS Stadium while, potentially concurrently, building a temporary facility next door to host an Olympics. One would think these projects should work together. But Kraft may not want to operate in that manner. Of course, it all hinges on the USOC deciding they want to work with Boston. Time will tell.

Really no comments on the newly announced Agenda 2020 recommendations!?

That's what every bid in the future is going to be determined by LOL. I almost posted Bob Kraft on here like all my personal sites but it's been the plan since day one so figured it was old news in comparison to the more important Agenda.

P.S. go New englad Revolution. 2nd in the league in the MLS Playoff semi-finals and achieved the 3rd highest MLS attendance record 2 weeks ago. (in fact their last 5 home games have been over 20k; their avg is 14k)

That's what every bid in the future is going to be determined by LOL. I almost posted Bob Kraft on here like all my personal sites but it's been the plan since day one so figured it was old news in comparison to the more important Agenda.

P.S. go New englad Revolution. 2nd in the league in the MLS Playoff semi-finals and achieved the 3rd highest MLS attendance record 2 weeks ago. (in fact their last 5 home games have been over 20k; their avg is 14k)

There's a thread in the General Olympics Discussion section talking about Agenda 2020

Maybe if you strayed outside of the Boston thread for once you would realize that we're already talking about it you god damn dimwit

Humm that's funny last I checked if someone posts something in a specific room/thread you respond in that specific location, it's not in my interest to read the same contradictive statements in multiple locations.

It's been a number #1 topic of convo and debate in this specific room so either folks don't want to admit the changes are going to happen, that I was right on this specific topic or they're just playing the typical forum games.

And as I have stated previously this is the number #1 most popular viewed and responded to thread regarding future bids other than Toronto which is irrelevant and started 2+ years before Boston...

Humm that's funny last I checked if someone posts something in a specific room/thread you respond in that specific location, it's not in my interest to read the same contradictive statements in multiple locations.

It's been a number #1 topic of convo and debate in this specific room so either folks don't want to admit the changes are going to happen, that I was right on this specific topic or they're just playing the typical forum games.

And as I have stated previously this is the number #1 most popular viewed and responded to thread regarding future bids other than Toronto which is irrelevant and started 2+ years before Boston...

Wow, you are unreal.. So you want the Olympic Agenda discussion to happen here because you're here rather than you going elsewhere to where that discussion is already happening? And you're saying it's a #1 topic of conversation and debate here? And how exactly would you know that, Rik, since before today you hadn't posted anywhere on this website in nearly a month.

Don't try and give us this justification how this is the #1 thread here, particularly when you're not a regular on this site. You drop in every once in a while, make a few posts, and then are gone for another month. Most of the rest of us here on this thread are here posting and debating things other than Boston. You're welcome to join us. You keep telling us you're interested in more than just Boston yet you continue to post in this thread and nowhere else. So that seems like a little bit of a contradiction there. Agenda 2020 goes beyond Boston's Olympic bid. If you want to have a discussion in the context of what it means for Boston, then yes, let's discuss it here. But don't give us this "Really, no one is answering my comment" because you CHOOSE not to look or post anywhere else on this entire forum.

Humm that's funny last I checked if someone posts something in a specific room/thread you respond in that specific location

Indeed, so why are you surprised that people posted about the 2020 recommendations in the existing thread on that topic, rather than responding to your random post in this thread?

Just a hint, (because I didn't find it until I was on this board for a while :) ), but there's a button in the top right which says "View New Content". I find that's the best way of following what's said where on this forum.

As expected typical forum games. Agenda 2020 was one of the number one debates and arguments in this Specific room and this happens everytime you guys gang up and attack me when I post supporting facts and news you don't respond and make up some crazy response like its in another thread. Agenda 2020 is specific to EVERY future bid or the Olympics future so it's just as relevant here than anywhere else and more so because the Agenda will determine if the USA even bids.

And this is the exact reason I sit and laugh at every post and only post when there is actual relevant information.

This is such petty crap LOL are you guys incapable of just staying on topic?.

I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the fact that the "No Boston Olympics" group has some MAJOR copyright infringements on all of their sites, interviews and the fact they're profiting from both written intellectual property but also visual logos etc.

Do you think action should be taken against them? I am pretty amazed that they sent physical letters to both the IOC and USOC with those blaring infringements.

As expected typical forum games. Agenda 2020 was one of the number one debates and arguments in this Specific room and this happens everytime you guys gang up and attack me when I post supporting facts and news you don't respond and make up some crazy response like its in another thread. Agenda 2020 is specific to EVERY future bid or the Olympics future so it's just as relevant here than anywhere else and more so because the Agenda will determine if the USA even bids.

And this is the exact reason I sit and laugh at every post and only post when there is actual relevant information.

The topic is Boston 2024. Agenda 2020 has a different thread with it as main topic. If you have CONCRETE points of discussion what A2020 means for a Boston bid, this is the place. If you want to join a GENERAL debate about A2020, go to the other thread and stop your condescending attitude.

The topic is Boston 2024. Agenda 2020 has a different thread with it as main topic. If you have CONCRETE points of discussion what A2020 means for a Boston bid, this is the place. If you want to join a GENERAL debate about A2020, go to the other thread and stop your condescending attitude.

I wasn't debating anything I was just pointing out that I was surprised that no one had commented on it when we have debated on it a lot and because it's a bigger topic of concern than old news Mr. Kraft. That is all. Then per usual I was attacked for no reason

I wasn't debating anything I was just pointing out that I was surprised that no one had commented on it when we have debated on it a lot and because it's a bigger topic of concern than old news Mr. Kraft. That is all. Then per usual I was attacked for no reason

It was debated generally elsewhere, and this was explained numerous times to you but you chose to ignore this.

You are so completely full of crap. When has Agenda 2020 been one of the number one debates in this specific room other than when you have tried to bring it into the discussion? And were you really surprised no one commented? You made your post at 4:50am. You posted again less than 7 hours later. You ignored that it was being talked about elsewhere. Apparently that doesn't count to you because you don't feel like straying outside of this thread. The article with Kraft was posted today, so it's not exactly old news.

Rik, you can't come here once a month and start being active in one and only one topic and wonder why we're not talking about what you want to talk about. Agenda 2020 is something that affects every bid. It's hardly a discussion that only applies to Boston. If you want to talk about it here because you happen to be here, that's fine. Please get it through your head that a lot of us have discussions elsewhere on other topics. Once again, you're welcome to join everyone there. But if you're going to continue to keep yourself secluded in this thread and then disappear when there's no new news regarding Boston, then it does look really self-serving to draw attention to yourself rather than you joining in with the rest of us.

With regard to the Agenda, the possibility of having (more) venues outside the municipality looks to me to be the only thing which might be a filip for Boston. The possibility of working with the IOC in early planning stages may also help 'smaller' cities. But I still think the city would need a fair wind behind it and possibly a kind field. Even if the IOC okays a plan which is more spread and takes advantage of the Agenda 2020 flexibility, will that matter if someone like Paris turns up, or a bid from a new frontier or a country offering them the world and all its (oil) money?

From what I can see, the Agenda isn't the silver bullet Boston supporters hoped it would be. It's still very much the underdog, and the post re: the stadium options further back seems to only underline the diffiulty such a city migh have. The 2020 Agenda won't solve things like that.

Boston is possible, but I still think it'll be more of a struggle than it might be for larger cities, even with these mooted reforms.

((Rik, rubbing people up the wrong way by asking in an amazed tone why nobody has responsed to your post isn't going to help - I was at work all day and as Quaker has pointed out you posted here at 4am your time on a subject there's already a thread on. Your tone and attitude since you've joined have been offputting unlike some of the other Boston supporters like Chris. who don't get the same reaction to their posts as you do. I wonder why that is? So please look at yourself before scoffing at the responses you get.))

I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the fact that the "No Boston Olympics" group has some MAJOR copyright infringements on all of their sites, interviews and the fact they're profiting from both written intellectual property but also visual logos etc.

Do you think action should be taken against them? I am pretty amazed that they sent physical letters to both the IOC and USOC with those blaring infringements.

What action would you like taken against them? And by whom? I know you are taken aback by anyone who doesn't fully support the Boston 2024 Olympic effort but regardless of their actions and intentions, it can't be ignored that there is opposition to holding an Olympics in Boston, particularly if they are this loud. We know this is par for the course for virtually any city bidding for the Olympics, but it's not like a lawsuit against them will shut them up or make them go away.

With regard to the Agenda, the possibility of having (more) venues outside the municipality looks to me to be the only thing which might be a filip for Boston. The possibility of working with the IOC in early planning stages may also help 'smaller' cities. But I still think the city would need a fair wind behind it and possibly a kind field. Even if the IOC okays a plan which is more spread and takes advantage of the Agenda 2020 flexibility, will that matter if someone like Paris turns up, or a bid from a new frontier or a country offering them the world and all its (oil) money?

From what I can see, the Agenda isn't the silver bullet Boston supporters hoped it would be. It's still very much the underdog, and the post re: the stadium options further back seems to only underline the diffiulty such a city migh have. The 2020 Agenda won't solve things like that.

Boston is possible, but I still think it'll be more of a struggle than it might be for larger cities, even with these mooted reforms.

My thoughts exactly. Okay Rik, you get your wish, let's discuss Agenda 2020 here. Tell us how you believe this affects Boston's bid relative to the other cities bidding for the Olympics. Which is to say.. how does Agenda 2020 help Boston beat out the competition, first domestically and then internationally. You can't tell us it's a big deal for Boston as if it means nothing for LA or DC or San Fran. Boston still needs to win the approval of the USOC before any of this becomes beneficial for them.

Archived