Bummer missed opportunity on the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials Bid, I suggested we throw our name in there since we have had them here before and all the Boston Marathon support and them going for an extra 9,000 slots next year etc..

Bidding: Cincinnati, NYC, L.A. & Houston

Should for sure put it on the list of things to do for 2020 no doubt..

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm becoming more inclined to think that the old CSX yard would be the best spot to put a stadium.

- The area is just begging to be redeveloped, so we can straighten out the mess of a highway interchange there. Further, its essentially now just an empty lot on both sides of I-90.

- Excellent transit access with the main east-west rail line right next door and commuter rail service along it and only a few blocks from the Green line subway.

- Easy to utilize the area for future uses; right between BU and Harvard.

- Easy to cordon off for security purposes.

I'm less enthused about Newmarket now, since the general area is very heavily utilized in its current industrial/retail niche. Might not be what people think an urban area should have, but its not exactly falling apart. It does have similarly excellent transit access, with two commuter rails nearby (and a station opened on-site just this past month), and the Red line subway not too much further than that.

Franklin park just seems like an odd man out to me. There's nothing really great for transit (the orange line is a walkable distance, but not nearly as nice as the others), though you could run shuttles up and down Seaver/Columbus and Blue Hill Ave. Its also heavily residential, which would be much less convenient for everyone involved.

For the Main Press Center, is Boston Convention and Exhibition Center more than enough or is it due for an expansion? Also, will they be able to put some events at Hynes Convention Center? How about Agganis Arena? volleyball prelims? Golf will most likely be at the Country Club in Brookline. Will Chestnut Hill be too far? The Conte Forum can use some events. Nickerson Field will most likely be used for field hockey. Where will tennis be held? Longwood Cricket Club?

Bummer missed opportunity on the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials Bid, I suggested we throw our name in there since we have had them here before and all the Boston Marathon support and them going for an extra 9,000 slots next year etc..

Bidding: Cincinnati, NYC, L.A. & Houston

Should for sure put it on the list of things to do for 2020 no doubt..

The reason Boston's Marathon has not been used as the US Olympic trials is that it is that the USTFA considers it a little too early. Don't they usually hold it around mid- or late May & the winners would have enuf time to recover for the July-August Oly runs?

The reason Boston's Marathon has not been used as the US Olympic trials is that it is that the USTFA considers it a little too early. Don't they usually hold it around mid- or late May & the winners would have enuf time to recover for the July-August Oly runs?

It's really just say anything against Rik huh? Lol it Boston has been used and will be used again. As I mentioned above, If we bid. It was the women's 2008 Olympic marathon trial course where Deena Kastor won. The Day before Boston Marathon a separate looped course through Boston and Cambridge was created since everyone and there mother knows Boston course is not WR classified.

2008 USA Men's Olympic Trials Marathon - Complete History 1968-2008

Has the dates of every U.S. Olympic Trials marathon dating back to 1968. Not included in there is the 2012 trials which were held in January. In recent years, the marathon trials have generally been held in February or earlier (the 2000 trials were held in May, but that Olympics was a few weeks later than they normally are.

The Boston Marathon has been held in April since the 19th century, since before the marathon was 26.2 miles.

It's held on Patriots Day, which has been the 3rd monday in April since the 60's.

Seriously dude, the timing of the Boston Marathon is not a particularly obscure fact. If you care nothing about the sport, that's OK... but for gosh sakes don't boadcast your ignorance. Don't talk about things you know nothing about... or at least spend 5 seconds in Google before you do.

• 5 weeks later...

Boston organizing efforts are picking up steam with local political & business leaders. It's the only city with an organizing committee to have filed state-wide legislation. Continue to follow the latest by following Boston 2024 effort on twitter

' class="bbc_url">@Boston2024

facebook: www.facebook.com/boston2024 and our website www.boston-2024.org

• 1 month later...

Great news for Boston and a potential 2024 Summer Games Bid

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/future_bids_2016/1216136788.html

Wednesday the Massachusetts House of Representatives passed legislation to create an 11-member committee to push forward an initiative to host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games in Boston. A bill was passed during the summer to examine the feasibility of bidding for the Games.

According to the Daily Free Press, Massachusetts Rep. Theodore Speliotis said the commission is looking at how the universities and colleges in and surrounding Boston, including Boston University, would benefit from hosting the Games.

The commission, which is privately funded, will investigate all aspects of hosting the Olympics, including costs, infrastructure, transportation and security.

He said, "a university like BU can offer so much to an Olympics program in the ways of the new Agganis Arena and the stadium. There's not even any certainty that that particular Olympic Games will be in the United States. But if it is in the United States, I think that we are in the top tier of communities to be considered".

Mass. Sen. Eileen Donoghue, who sponsored the resolution through the Senate's approval on July 30, said despite the significant expenses of the Olympics, the benefits outweigh the costs. She said, "when you look at the tourism aspects of the Olympics, not just during the weeks of the Games but before and well after the Games, it certainly would bring a huge benefit".

Maureen Keefe, race director of the 2013 Head of the Charles Regatta, one of the world's largest rowing events, said because Boston is used to hosting large sporting events, holding the Olympics would be feasible and would help build Boston's infrastructure.

She said, "I know the impact of large-scale athletic events on a city and I think it would bring a lot of people to Boston. We are strong in that we can create an infrastructure not only to support a worldwide event like that and to show off Boston to the rest of the world, but also hopefully whatever infrastructure we would build would sustain the city beyond the Olympics itself in different ways as far as venues, facilities and jobs".

How about a stadium in Allston/Brighton? Plans are already underway to redevelop the area and there is a large parcel of land available on the site of the former Beacon Park railyard.

Of course, it all comes down to whether or not support is garnered from the business and political committees. Nevertheless, I think Boston can become the USOC candidate city if it tries hard enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UyRV6Osb5g

How about a stadium in Allston/Brighton? Plans are already underway to redevelop the area and there is a large parcel of land available on the site of the former Beacon Park railyard.

Of course, it all comes down to whether or not support is garnered from the business and political committees. Nevertheless, I think Boston can become the USOC candidate city if it tries hard enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UyRV6Osb5g

Wow! /\/\ That sounds promising. However, if Boston, the New Balance and the Mt. Vernon Company are serious about landing an Olympics, they are going to have to be flexible, in tandem with the USOC's bigger vision, on either 2024 or if it needs to be 2028. Of course, the whole linchpin is RSA's move. But having those new Allston-Brighton facilities plus the new development in Harvard.should really more than provide for an Olympic's needs in addition to already existing facilities. That's one thing the northeast hasn't had yet...a Summer Olympic Games. What Boston needs to do now:

1. Get one of the int'l Olympic consultants -- not a PR guy like Mike Lee...but someone the IOC has used as a planner or something like that in the past. If serious, let the IOC know that there is a long-range plan to allow for an Olympic Games.

2. Line up a major world championships or two before the vote.

I really wish Boston good luck!!

Wow! /\/\ That sounds promising. However, if Boston, the New Balance and the Mt. Vernon Company are serious about landing an Olympics, they are going to have to be flexible, in tandem with the USOC's bigger vision, on either 2024 or if it needs to be 2028. Of course, the whole linchpin is RSA's move. But having those new Allston-Brighton facilities plus the new development in Harvard.should really more than provide for an Olympic's needs in addition to already existing facilities. That's one thing the northeast hasn't had yet...a Summer Olympic Games. What Boston needs to do now:

1. Get one of the int'l Olympic consultants -- not a PR guy like Mike Lee...but someone the IOC has used as a planner or something like that in the past. If serious, let the IOC know that there is a long-range plan to allow for an Olympic Games.

I wonder what Gianna's up to.....

Kidding.

Although.....

Figure Skating worlds already lined up for 2016. But they can still do some more, say a gymnastics or swimming worlds.

Following its World Series win, Boston gets one step closer to a possible 2024 Olympic bid! Today, MA Governor Deval Patrick signed into law a bill intended to study the feasibility of the state hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/10/31/patrick-oks-bill-to-study-mass-2024-olympics-bid/

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/31/boston-2024-olympics-bid/

Less than 24hrs after Governor Patrick signs Olympic Bill into law, Mitt Romney backs Boston as ’24 Olympic host.

“I would love to see the Games come back to the United States and I think Boston would be the best imaginable place to have them,” Romney told the Herald yesterday, just hours after Gov. Deval Patrick signed legislation yesterday creating an 11-member panel to study its feasibility. “I can’t speak out of school, and it’s far too early to judge the interest of the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) or IOC (International Olympic Committee). But it’s certainly worth exploring. I think Boston would be fantastic.” - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/10/mitt_romney_backs_boston_as_24_olympic_host#sthash.6YpoYoTc.dpuf

“I would love to see the Games come back to the United States and I think Boston would be the best imaginable place to have them,” Romney told the Herald yesterday, just hours after Gov. Deval Patrick signed legislation yesterday creating an 11-member panel to study its feasibility. “I can’t speak out of school, and it’s far too early to judge the interest of the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) or IOC (International Olympic Committee). But it’s certainly worth exploring. I think Boston would be fantastic.”

“I would love to see the Games come back to the United States and I think Boston would be the best imaginable place to have them,” Romney told the Herald yesterday, just hours after Gov. Deval Patrick signed legislation yesterday creating an 11-member panel to study its feasibility. “I can’t speak out of school, and it’s far too early to judge the interest of the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) or IOC (International Olympic Committee). But it’s certainly worth exploring. I think Boston would be fantastic.” - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/10/mitt_romney_backs_boston_as_24_olympic_host#sthash.6YpoYoTc.dpuf
Mitt Romney backs Boston as ’24 Olympic host

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/10/mitt_romney_backs_boston_as_24_olympic_host

Archived