• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massachusetts Senate votes to create commission to study feasibility of Massachusetts hosting 2024 Summer Olympics. State House bill S.1623 passes Senate this afternoon 39-0 in favor. Now to the House for a vote and Governor Patrick for his signature. Big news for the 2024 movement in Boston.

Huh? What the hell does that mean? :blink:

'Boston Strong' has been a local expression since the Marathon Bombings, so it the saying would tie the resolve of the city to... the resolve of the world? I guess. Needs a little work, but I say its extolling the common solidarity of humanity in the face of adversity.

I don't know about "picking up steam." The traffic has been driven by one poster. I wouldn't assume too much.

If this is picking up steam, they need a lot more steam. Look at this thread. It started back in January with the state senate filing a resolution to form a committee to study the feasibility of hosting an Olympics. Here we are nearly 7 months later and only now has that commission been approved. That is all that has happened in this time. And in the interim, you have the USOC actively seeking out potential candidate cities and a mayor whose only real comments on the record on the matter are to register his skepticism.

I don't doubt that Boston could make a good pitch for an Olympics (although they'd need a suitable plan for it, which is far easier said than done), but the clock is ticking and if this is how slowly they're making progress, I don't think 2024 is in the cards for them and maybe they should start targetting 2028 instead.

^ yea the clock is ticking. So what other US cities are ahead of Boston? LA? Ok what else? and what should be ready by this time? honestly someone answer me bc i dont know . The bid is coming together and exposed to media, I haven't heard anything from the other cities .

No one is truly ahead of anyone until it's in the hands of the USOC, if you were to go by Social backing it would be Philadelphia they have nearly 14,000 facebook followers however their page was created in late 2009. And they have bid 4 previous times.

Boston has nearly 2,000 and has been up for less then 1 year... (12 days away from 1yr)...
in 2010 Maine created a fan page to bid and although the page has been inactive by moderators since 2010 they have OVER 15,250 fans that could be possible conversions over to Greater-Boston

Personally I think our biggest foreign contenders are Paris and South Africa although they have considered not bidding due to the health of Nelson Mandela... and Dubai dropped out
But if Tokyo & Madrid loose to Istanbul (fingers crossed on my end) then they would be the favored candidates to bid

If this is picking up steam, they need a lot more steam. Look at this thread. It started back in January with the state senate filing a resolution to form a committee to study the feasibility of hosting an Olympics. Here we are nearly 7 months later and only now has that commission been approved. That is all that has happened in this time. And in the interim, you have the USOC actively seeking out potential candidate cities and a mayor whose only real comments on the record on the matter are to register his skepticism.

I don't doubt that Boston could make a good pitch for an Olympics (although they'd need a suitable plan for it, which is far easier said than done), but the clock is ticking and if this is how slowly they're making progress, I don't think 2024 is in the cards for them and maybe they should start targetting 2028 instead.

Regarding the Mayor, he's on his way out, for what its worth; retiring at the end of his term, and the election's this fall.

But my point was that there seems to be less skepticism on here and more support than back in March.

No one is truly ahead of anyone until it's in the hands of the USOC, if you were to go by Social backing it would be Philadelphia they have nearly 14,000 facebook followers however their page was created in late 2009. And they have bid 4 previous times.

Boston has nearly 2,000 and has been up for less then 1 year... (12 days away from 1yr)...

in 2010 Maine created a fan page to bid and although the page has been inactive by moderators since 2010 they have OVER 15,250 fans that could be possible conversions over to Greater-Boston

Personally I think our biggest foreign contenders are Paris and South Africa although they have considered not bidding due to the health of Nelson Mandela... and Dubai dropped out

But if Tokyo & Madrid loose to Istanbul (fingers crossed on my end) then they would be the favored candidates to bid

Disagree with you there. If Tokyo and Madrid lose, it's unlikely they will bid again and even if they do, they won't match up well against Paris, Durban, USA, etc.

Well, these things are probably what will help the USOC make up their minds about whether to bid or not. While maybe L.A. (or supposedly Dallas) could be ahead of Boston, if they USOC feels that some of these cities are just dragging their feet, then how could they even come up with a winnable plan to convince those fastideous IOC members. Especially when the competition will throw everything at it but the kitchen sink. Yes, time is a running out. And if someone is very serious about going after this, they need so seriously start showing what they got to offer now, not way later. Like the USOC told the 2016 domestic candidates - "show us some 'skin' in this game"!

Archived