So because you quote with no knowledge that we don't have a suitable location for the main stadium that makes it fact?... first lets get the distance rule out of the way... There is no distance rule! It's quite obvious it should be in the center of it all, but clearly not required. and 9 times out of 10 a new Neighborhood is created because it can't be in the city itself..

1992 and 2010 were widely dispersed. Torino had locations in 4 different parts of the country, Rio is split into four clusters rather then concentrated in a single area. and Nagano had events that were 43 MILES from the stadium thats double Gillette.

Harvard Stadium the first stadium dedicated to American Intercollegiate Athletics and one of the largest college outdoor venues in the US . Capacity up to 35,323 - nearly 10,000 greater with upgrades.

• Pyeongchang - Capacity: 50,000 - Structure: Temporary!
  • Sochi - Capacity: 40,000 - Structure: New
  • Vancouver - Capacity: 50,000 - Structure: Existing!
  • Turin - Capacity: 28,000 - Structure - Existing!
  • Salt Lake City - Capacity: 45,000 - Structure - Existing!

30 Olympic Stadiums have been EXISTING Structures - 5 Olympic Stadiums were TEMPORARY Structures

30 Olympic Stadiums have had Capacities UNDER 50,000

You have to remember that it's really based on the Population of that City not the Olympics.

Gillette Stadium home to the New England Patriots & New England Revolution Soccer is the largest football stadium in the Mid America Conference. Capacity: 68,756 (Football) 30,000 (Soccer) Notable Events: AFC Championship Games, 2002 MLS Cup, 4 FIFA Women's World Cup Soccer Games, NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships 4x and the Future Location of Super Bowels L and XLIX - 20m south of Boston & 20m North of Providence

OH! Can't forget the fact it has it's own TRAIN DIRECT FROM THE CITY TO THE STADIUM!

Fenway Park speaks for itself - Capacity 37.400

Other Venues:

TD Garden

MIT Aquatics Center

MIT Stadium

Harvards Blodgett Pool

BU Aquatics Center

Back Bay Events Center

Walter Brown Arena

George Wright Gold Course

Harvards Murr Center

Harvards Beren Tennis Center

Harvard McCurdy Track & FIeld

BU Track & Tennis Center

Charles River Sailing

Moakley Field

Ohiri Field

The list gooooooes On!

Shall I list the Operating Costs for you!?

No you just answered my question idiot. Thanks.

(Note he/she did not where the main stadium would be built in Boston.) It is against Olympic charter to have the OC stadium outside the city proper. Ask Jaca how that helped them in 2010.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I'll Repeat Again... Those Venues were examples of existing infrastructure .. the first 2 were viable for Opening/Closing LOL...

Oh Required comes from you once again... where did I say that any of our locations would be used "AS IS"... Man you are so not worth it. I need to restrain my passion sometimes but Ignorance is not how you debate...

Boston is just as Viable if not more then any of the other US Cities. And where we lack in some areas we make up with it in being a Sports & Culture Meca the Sports Title Capital and the Home to the Oldest Marathon with the First Women's Olympic Marathon Champion coming direct from our own backyard who at 55yrs of age can still qualify... You know those things are part of the equation as much as you want to pick and chose what to contradict everything you have listed can be fixed, upgraded, built... But Our Legacy and History and What our State has Accomplished in the last 10 Years are Etched in Stone Forever!

I admire your passion and your vision. I certainly don't expect you to have a plan laid out at this early stage that denotes all of the venues and their locations. But if you're going to advocate for Boston 2024, you need to be a little more educated, especially to a crowd like this who follows these things on a regular basis. When you say something like "if a Baseball Stadium can accommodate 40,000+ people why can't it host an Opening and Closing Ceremonies?" (and add an LOL at the end of it), that pesky little seating capacity requirement is not a small issue. When you bring up Gillette stadium, the distance is not a small issue. And please, it's insulting to the Olympics to compare them to the Gay Games (which, need I remind you, Boston lost out on to Cleveland!)

I think that's part of the problem here. You're holding Boston to the standards of the Gay Games or maybe even the Youth Olympics. That's all well and good, but if Boston is serious about bidding for the Summer Olympics, far and away the world's largest sporting event, they need to be held to a much higher standard in order to compete with other world cities. I don't question your knowledge of all things Boston, but where your bases of comparison are the Gay Games and the Winter Olympics, you're not exactly making a compelling argument for Boston.

There's nothing wrong with compiling a list of all the existing stadiums and infrastructure Boston has to offer, but almost any large city can do that and many could come up with an equally impressive list of venues. It's a good place to start, but it would take a little more than a remodel to make Harvard Stadium or Fenway Park into 1 of the main Olympic venues. Boston may be as viable as other U.S. cities, but unless they can put together a plan (and again, I certainly don't expect you to have all the particulars now) that makes them shine over the competition that could include the likes of major world cities like Paris and Tokyo, they're not going to get very far.

Even I have to say it, well put on Quaker's last post above. /\/\/\

@TeamRik, If they (or any wannabee US city) can nail down the ideal triangulation of (i) an acceptable 80,000-seat Olympic stadium w/in host city limits, (ii) a nearby Olympic Village (university dorms will do, but a brand new Village is a lot more impressive to the IOC); and (iii) the Official IOC hotel, all within 15-20 mins from each other, then you're more than halfway there. Also, remember that the logistical requirements of an OG are far more stringent than those of the Gay Games. Like (I don't know what the final head count at London was) but 51 heads of state attended the opening in Beijing, How many major heads of state have attended a Gay Games opening? Can Boston handle the 50 or so heads of state and their retinues + the 100 or so IOC members & families? That number is something usually only a New York or a Geneva can handle. Such a requirement multiplied many times over is what an Olympic wannabee city has to show the IOC that it can comply with, in order to be taken seriously.

Yes, this is a tuff crowd 2 play 2. But if you run the gauntlet successfully here, u'll be that much closer to making the USOC and IOC's Short List. ;)

Gillette Stadium home to the New England Patriots & New England Revolution Soccer is the largest football stadium in the Mid America Conference.

Oh come on now. Look, I'm on your side. But you have to keep your promotion credible. Gillette is "the largest stadium in the MAC" because UMass played its home games there in front of 50,000 empty seats.

It is against Olympic charter to have the OC stadium outside the city proper. Ask Jaca how that helped them in 2010.

Which is why the OC stadium for "Sochi" is in Adler.

Oh come on now. Look, I'm on your side. But you have to keep your promotion credible. Gillette is "the largest stadium in the MAC" because UMass played its home games there in front of 50,000 empty sea

Which is why the OC stadium for "Sochi" is in Adler.

Which is why you failed geography. Adler is a municipality of Sochi. Its like saying Queens hosted the Olympic Stadium for a NYC bid.

Which is why you failed geography. Adler is a municipality of Sochi. Its like saying Queens hosted the Olympic Stadium for a NYC bid.

Sochi is both the name of a city, and the larger region. The region is 90 miles long. Olympics have host *cities*, not host regions. It's the equivelent of putting the Olympic Stadium in White Plains, and saying that it's in "New York."

That's just arguing over semantics now. The real crux of the matter here is, that Sochi Olympic Park is still less than 10 miles from central Sochi (much like London 2012 was only 6 miles from central London). It has all the main components within this Olympic Park to make travel times virtually a non-issue.

Something really in contrast in proposing a stadium some 20 miles away (which is really closer to Providence anyway, & is akin to the Cowboys stadium in Arlington for a Dallas bid that wouldn't work either), & far from everything else (regardless if there's "rail-link" already, bcuz Olympic traffic would massively put a strain on that one link, tbw) for a hypothetical Boston bid, makes it extremely hard to make that plan logistically feasible. Especially when the international competition are more than likely going to offer up much more conveinient plans.

That's just arguing over semantics now. The real crux of the matter here is, that Sochi Olympic Park is still less than 10 miles from central Sochi (much like London 2012 was only 6 miles from central London). It has all the main components within this Olympic Park to make travel times virtually a non-issue.

It's more than 20 miles http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Russia,+Sochi&daddr=43.587913,39.7264699+to:%D1%83%D0%BB.++%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=43.412592,39.941568&sspn=0.044455,0.072441&geocode=FSwSmQIdVyBeAikjRIMR4dT1QDH4XV1qhmFvbg%3BFUkZmQIdhS1eAin3Vj_m0Mv1QDFQJYoUUlruWA%3BFYhIlgIdG7JhAg&oq=sochi&t=m&mra=ls&z=11&via=1

Semantics is all They Have... If you look at every response they pick and chose what they want to pick apart and they clearly love to design rules specific to Boston Biding because none of them exist...
This will be my last response to this ridiculous back and fourth rather than having a real conversation about an amazing oportunity for any city or person involved whos willing to work hard and make it happen..

the IOC allows COOPERATIVE HOST CITY BIDS - Example: previous potential applicants and future applicant cities

• WASHINGTON, DC & BALTIMORE, MD (46 Miles Apart) which is the same distance as BOSTON from PROVIDENCE, BOSTON and WORCESTER, BOSTON and MANCHESTER, all of which have been host to Major Sporting Events.
  • TAMPA and ORLANDO - (86 MILES! Apart) EIGHTY SIX!
  • SAN DIEGO & TIJUANA (17 Miles Apart) - Expressed interest and were authorized to bid for the first BINATIONAL Olympics
  • BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - Belgian city and a Dutch City after the Euro 2000 co-organized by both countries
  • And ++++++++++++++

I wont recap the previous olympic games again because you clearly think that because a Television Network is told to call the locations by the Main Host Cities name that that is in fact the location of each venue or Stadium because it's not and if you would take the time to actually look at the bid documents or really any information about each games you would know that they are in fact allowed and in multiple locations... And numerous games as I previously mentioned have had events GREATER then 40 miles away.

And the whole Boston can't handle the amount of people or security or heads of state is really just plane old STUPID.
You don't become the International Center for Higher Education and Center for Medicine, or 11th in the top 20 Global Financial Centers by being a small, useless, inaccessible city to not only the US but the WORLD.

Boston is ranked NUMBER ONE for INNOVATION both Globally and in North America for a Slue of Reasons giving us maybe a slight edge on being able to accommodate and build any necessary infrastructure to make an innovative cultural platform in one of the most DIVERSE CITIES IN THE WORLD!

Greater Boston... YES GREATER BOSTON, which is what the city is comprised of and will remain comprised of and would represent as a Host City is 10th in population among U.S. metropolitan areas with the sixth largest gross metropolitan product in the country and twelfth largest in the world. Not to mention top in Healthcare & Cost of Living all making us a viable city and Financially Stable & RELEVANT location.

And my final large statement before you chew all this up for desert and pick it a part how you want.. In Regards to Heads of State and Security & Events or really our irrelevance .. Again I laugh... not because of your personal opinion or because you feel we are a long shot... I 100% respect and partially agree with you. But I laugh at just your clear lack of knowledge or interest in physically taking in anything I have shared with you be it 100% right or partial or what have you.

Boston held the 5 Day - 2004 Democratic National Convention. It was the FIRST National Convention in the country since the terrorist attacks on September 11th 2001. Making it THEY SECURITY & Most Important event to happen for our democracy as a nation. 34 Cities were given an initial notice, 10 cities responded. Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Miami, NEW YORK CITY and Pittsburgh. Of those 5 cities submitted bids - Baltimore, Boston, Detroit, Miami and New York. After site visit and inspections Boston was announced as the Host.

Security during the convention was organized by the Boston Police (First Police Department in the United States) the U.S. Capitol Police and the U.S. Coast Guard. Huge security measures were taken bomb squads, sniffing dogs, 7-foot high metal barricades bans on corporate and private flights at Logan International Airport and they Shutdown Interstate 93.

Boston's Ability to promulgate such tight security measures even frustrated the news media. Credentials were subject to extremely strict rules forbidding borrowing or sharing with is common practice for major media outlets especially at the Olympics.

Do I need to list the over 60 Speakers the Top Heads of our Country who were protected? Normally you would say the Republican and Democratic conventions have the same caliber of speakers and attendees .. Not in 2004 The DNCs List of Principle Speakers 100 times surpassed that of the RNC.

So no I do not believe we would have ANY issue what so ever keeping security for 50 heads of state. It's Boston Massachusetts that is COMMON PRACTICE here literally... To the Capital to the Colleges where they speak and where their kids go to school, they have their Medical Procedures done here.. and Besides if you go down the list of PAST and PRESENT Heads of State across this Globe at least 40% of them have their Doctorates, Masters, LLM and MBAs from Harvard, Williams, MIT and Tufts so I can probably tell you they would be rather comfortable and happy to be here.

And to end on a sports note. of course not as large as the Olympics blah blah blah but experience does count contrary to your popular belief. Boston has been home to:

116 Runnings of the Worlds First and Oldest Modern Day Marathon
2 Olympic Trial Marathons

4 FIFA World Cup Games (stadium ranked 2nd in US and 43rd in the world out of 257) that meat the FIFA requirements
US Olympic Mens Track Trials 4 Times
Every Year we hold many of the Worlds largest Track Championships both Indoor and Outdoors for the Visa Championships at Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center & Harvard.
The Olympic Sports of Basketball and Volleyball were INVENTED in Massachusetts and the worlds shrine of sports history The Basketball Hall of Fame is here as is the Volleyball Hall of Fame. MAJOR tourist destinations.
We hold the Head of the Charles Regatta
Cape Cod Major League Baseball Training Camp
Major Gold Events - U.S. Opens, Ryder Cups and more, Major League Soccer, Major League Lacrosse, the Professional Women's Soccer League.
Americas World Leading Gymnastics Center is here, home to CURRENT Olympic, World, National and Canadian National Gold Medal Gymnasts.

And with that I rest my case - eat it up, gobble it out, do as you wish.. I thank you for the time.

No it's not. Even the scale on the map that you provided clearly shows that it's no more than 10 miles.

No Olympic stadium has ever been more than 20 miles from the host city.

Did you look at page the link brings you to? It measures the distance for you. 33.0km, 43 minutes. That's driving distance, so the crow-flies distance may be just under 20 miles.

I don't think anyone is doubting Boston's hosting capability. It would make a great host. But where would the stadium go? Something you have totally ignored.

Couple quick ideas

- New Construction in South Boston where Kraft wanted to build a stadium for the Patriots

- Temporary expansion of Harvard Stadium, which previously held a 400m track (barely).

Semantics is all They Have... If you look at every response they pick and chose what they want to pick apart and they clearly love to design rules specific to Boston Biding because none of them exist...

This will be my last response to this ridiculous back and fourth rather than having a real conversation about an amazing oportunity for any city or person involved whos willing to work hard and make it happen..

the IOC allows COOPERATIVE HOST CITY BIDS - Example: previous potential applicants and future applicant cities

• WASHINGTON, DC & BALTIMORE, MD (46 Miles Apart) which is the same distance as BOSTON from PROVIDENCE, BOSTON and WORCESTER, BOSTON and MANCHESTER, all of which have been host to Major Sporting Events.

This is out-of-date information, which is at least a decade old, when the USOC was trying to decide which of the 8 U.S. cities it was going to select for it's 2012 bid. They finally went with New York 2012.

So the IOC never "allowed" these bids bcuz the USOC NEVER allowed these cities to bid. The IOC would never have gone for a bid that required two cities that FAR apart to host, let alone them even going for Tampa/Orlando.

What's ridiculous here is your ill-attempt at trying to conveniently use old, non-comparable data/info to & try & further your cause. But all it's doing is just making you look really "ridiculous". So far, you have not made a compelling case. All you've done is get snarky & b!tchy if no-one here agrees with your "ideas".

Did you look at page the link brings you to? It measures the distance for you. 33.0km, 43 minutes. That's driving distance, so the crow-flies distance may be just under 20 miles.

Yeah, I looked at it. For the sake of merely splitting hairs here, it's more than "just under 20 miles". But this is also conveniently ignoring the fact that this Olympic stadium that's "just under 20 miles", is in a park that also houses other important MAIN Olympic venues which are easily going to be accessible to one another once the Games take place. So unless a "Boston" plan includes something of a similar feat in Foxboro, then it's irrelevant. At which point, it then becomes "Foxboro 2024" & not Boston 2024. Much like the pseudo "San Francisco 2012" bid that centered everything around Palo Alto, some 30 miles to the south.

No it's not. Even the scale on the map that you provided clearly shows that it's no more than 10 miles.

No Olympic stadium has ever been more than 20 miles from the host city.

Seriously who are you? Where were you educated!? The area of Boston city proper alone is 90 square miles, 50 sq miles land and 40 water. and that is JUST boston the PROPER meaning just the inner city LOL..

Boston is Commonwealth city so therefor its considered Greater Boston that is the city, and that would be the location of the games... and that would be the area of the Bid... That is 4,674 Square Miles !

Rio - largest city in Brazil - 485 square miles

London - 606 sq miles - BY YOUR RULES otherwise they wouldnt have won the bid right? because "The Greater London Urban Area was not included?" Last I checked that was required for their bid!

Beijing - 6,487 sq miles

Athens - 50,949 sq miles - (Obviously no one could ever really compare)

Sydney - 651 sq miles -

Atlanta - 630 sq miles

Barcelona - 40 sq miles - FOURTY!

Los Angeles - 503 sq miles

you guys clearly have no respect, sad sad thread this is...

Between this thread People neglecting to acknowledge Lance Armstrongs $500 million legacy and countless lives saved including My OWN Survival from Cancer as an Athlete (he was punished and deserved it) he does not deserve the death penalty which is basically what he is receiving by People who are ignorant like this conversation and the people who are trying to judge and destroy Jodie Foster for having her own feelings, thoughts, emotions and life just because she didn't conform to the mold our society now called Contradiction USA obligates our celebrities and philanthropists. I have lost all respect and hope for any type of exchange of mutual knowledge or respectful debate and culture.

This is out-of-date information, which is at least a decade old, when the USOC was trying to decide which of the 8 U.S. cities it was going to select for it's 2012 bid. They finally went with New York 2012.

So the IOC never "allowed" these bids bcuz the USOC NEVER allowed these cities to bid. The IOC would never have gone for a bid that required two cities that FAR apart to host, let alone them even going for Tampa/Orlando.

What's ridiculous here is your ill-attempt at trying to conveniently use old, non-comparable data/info to & try & further your cause. But all it's doing is just making you look really "ridiculous". So far, you have not made a compelling case. All you've done is get snarky & b!tchy if no-one here agrees with your "ideas".

Yeah, I looked at it. For the sake of merely splitting hairs here, it's more than "just under 20 miles". But this is also conveniently ignoring the fact that this Olympic stadium that's "just under 20 miles", is in a park that also houses other important MAIN Olympic venues which are easily going to be accessible to one another once the Games take place. So unless a "Boston" plan includes something of a similar feat in Foxboro, then it's irrelevant. At which point, it then becomes "Foxboro 2024" & not Boston 2024. Much like the pseudo "San Francisco 2012" bid that centered everything around Palo Alto, some 30 miles to the south.

Dude, I pointed you to a tool that will exactly map it and you claimed it was under 10 miles. Sheesh.

As for the point of all this, the stadium for 2014, and all the main venues are in Adler. But Adler is a dump, so the Russian's smartly call it the Sochi games. This doesn't have much to do with Boston, since they sure as heck aren't using Gillettte for the main stadium. But I think it does matter if the Reno/Tahoe people realize that Tahoe is a much better name than Reno.

• SAN DIEGO & TIJUANA (17 Miles Apart) - Expressed interest and were authorized to bid for the first BINATIONAL Olympics
  • BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - Belgian city and a Dutch City after the Euro 2000 co-organized by both countries
  • And ++++++++++++++

Rik, this is what we're getting at here. Yes, those are allowed. But name 1 cooperative host city bid that was endorsed by their NOC? You need to find better examples to compare Boston to or else they're not going to gain much traction.

Here's the bottom line and not to speak for the forum here, but I know several others feel the same way.. there are numerous cities out there that could host a successful Olympics, including many in the United States. At the end of the day though, this is a competition. And it's an expensive one merely to participate in. Boston may be able to present themselves as a suitable setting for a Summer Olympics, but all that is going to matter at the end of the day is how they stack up against the competition. Again, I admire your dedication and passion, but forgive us if we don't view Boston as "an amazing opportunity" when there are other cities out there that can easily claim to be equally amazing

^But you're proposing Foxboro, NOT located in Boston's "90sq miles", UNLIKE those other cities that you listed. What was that about "education"?! :rolleyes: It's clear now, that you're nothing but an internet troll.

He's not an internet troll.. just someone who thinks that our crowd is going to be impressed with less than valid comparisons to make Boston look more techincally sound than it is.

Between this thread People neglecting to acknowledge Lance Armstrongs $500 million legacy and countless lives saved including My OWN Survival from Cancer as an Athlete (he was punished and deserved it) he does not deserve the death penalty which is basically what he is receiving by People who are ignorant like this conversation and the people who are trying to judge and destroy Jodie Foster for having her own feelings, thoughts, emotions and life just because she didn't conform to the mold our society now called Contradiction USA obligates our celebrities and philanthropists. I have lost all respect and hope for any type of exchange of mutual knowledge or respectful debate and culture.

This an Olympic bid thread.. what do Lance Armstrong and especially Jodie freakin' Foster have to do with anything being discussed here.

As for the point of all this, the stadium for 2014, and all the main venues are in Adler. But Adler is a dump, so the Russian's smartly call it the Sochi games. This doesn't have much to do with Boston, since they sure as heck aren't using Gillettte for the main stadium. But I think it does matter if the Reno/Tahoe people realize that Tahoe is a much better name than Reno.

Well, isn't that what we're trying to explain to this newbie. That Foxboro isn't really feasible for a Boston bid, other than for maybe soccer.

You are so clueless really... Foxboro 2024.. haha

So according to you, all the things that are printed in bid documents, delivered to the IOC are lies, incorrect and not accepted.. Got it..

So when NYC Bid for 2012 and was the 3rd runner up there concept was not to have SEVERAL OLYMPIC CLUSTERS SPREAD OUT in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and East RUTHERFORD NEW JERSEY where guess what kids THE OLYMPIC STADIUM would have been in NEW JERSEY.. Meadowlands, Flushing Meadows!? NOT NICE PLACES and NOT CLOSE

So its ok for them to use Boroughs but not Boston... and it's ok for them to use old existing and comprable arenas but we are not so they get madison square gardens but we cant use boston garden... they can use the then OLD Yankee Stadium but we cant use Fenway Park... they can use GIANTS STADIUM 10 miles WEST of NYC and in a DIFFERENT STATE but we cant use Gillette Stadium..

And when I mention any type of FIFA World Cup or Marathon you say that means nothing and yet NYC and Paris structured their ENTIRE bid around those things!

I mean your a joke - Paris bid separate northern and western clusters - London took trashy hamlets and created a new city called lower key valley for the centerpeace of its bid. That is not London proper!

Rio is split into 4 olympic centers Barra, Copacabana, Deodoro, Maracana and multiple further cities like Sao Paulo this is not Rio!... and their entire bid is about what!?... FIFA WORLD CUP

Tokyo a cooperative bid.. what was their bid about!?.. The Tokyo Marathon that was added to the World Marathon Majors which was created by who? Boston Separate clusters from village

Chicago outspread along Lake Michigan... Stadium? the far outer south side of Washington Park (NOT CHICAGO!) would have to build their ENTIRE BID OF VENUES! what was their bid about? The city 2nd to Boston thats hosts all 5 mens and women's major sports.

ISTANBUL! FIFA FIFA FIFA oh and INDOOR TRACK & FIELD! SEVEN SEPARATE CLUSTERS!

Don't worry I will not respond again..

Dude, I pointed you to a tool that will exactly map it and you claimed it was under 10 miles. Sheesh.

I have not mentioned Sochi at all :-)

• And ++++++++++++++

Wow, talk about getting all huffy and defensive. Calm down, Rik, u're doing yourself no favors here.

Just to add a little clarity to that JOINT city-bid issues. As u yourself claimed, the joint ideas are EARLY in the formative stages...but it has NEVER advanced to the Final Candidate stage. Basically, and mainly for legal and logistic reason -- r u even there or have u already vanished as u have threatened? -- the IOC wants to deal only with ONE jurisdiction. And probably as you progress along with your exploration, you will understand why...

In any case, jusft for the US alone, so under the USOC's oversight and before it presents its candidate to the IOC,

San Francisco 2012 when the Olympic Stadium was going to be in Stanford, one hour, so like 50 miles OUTSIDE of SF, and the Village was going to be at Moffett Field (basically 1.5 hours from SF), the bid was originally called "San Francisco Bay Area 2012" just so BASOC (the Bay Area Organizing Committee could not be accused of misrepresentation). But as it progressed to becoming a US finalist vs. NY, Chicago and LA, the bid had to be called "San Francisco 2012." As you may know, NEW YORK was the official 2012 US bid.

Similarly, when LA became a domestic finalist for 2016 v. Chicago, nearly half its events (more than at the 1984 Games) were scheduled for Long Beach-San Pedro. Still it called itself Los Angeles 2016...NOT Los Angeles-Long Beach 2016.

Vancouver-Whistler went by Vancouver 2010. A future Reno-Tahoe bid will probably have to go by Reno if it went to the int'l phase. Just ONE anchor city.

The point is, of course the anchor city shares many of the hosting duties with neighboring or satellite cities (as Boston-Harvard was for 1984 and 1994), however, for bidding purposes and to conform to IOC procedures, it should be the anchor city leading the charge and with whom the USOC and IOC will be dealing with.

Don't get too huffy and defensive, you can learn a lot here and once we are on your side, you will also find NO stronger set of allies and advocates. Just take a deep breath and listen before mouthing off.

Archived