• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I simply don't understand it, either there's massive problems with what they've designed or it's just massive incompetence on their part. With an absolutely lousy bid-book and no website that was supposed to be up 3 days ago, how are they supposed to hold the worlds' biggest sporting event? Doesn't inspire confidence.

I simply don't understand it, either there's massive problems with what they've designed or it's just massive incompetence on their part. With an absolutely lousy bid-book and no website that was supposed to be up 3 days ago, how are they supposed to hold the worlds' biggest sporting event? Doesn't inspire confidence.

I think you're making a bit much of it..they've hosted the world indoor athletics championships, FINA short course swimming titles and a Women's tennis championship...in the last 6 months...which received the highest of appraisals from some of the world's best...not the world's biggest events, but still big..if you want confidence then look at the reviews by the PROS regarding the organisation of those events...so i wouldnt judge them on a website as yet...which only simply hasnt been launched yet...

Ok, perhaps my choice of wording was a little strong, however, I still stand by my concerns with Istanbul, Perhaps they'd put on an OK games, but I don't think they're ready yet. I will be disappointed if the IOC goes there, and now the basic website with the bid book itself is totally gone! Not sure what's going on or why the delay, but I want to see venue renders and see what their plans are.

This reminds me of the time, when Istanbul had not released its logo as yet. Members on the forums were crying out "istanbul isnt serious wheres the logo?!"...now 6 months later there is a logo and I dont think the IOC is going to mark Istanbul down for releasing the logo a few months after the other bids including Baku and Doha. Yes it of our inconvenience that we do not have a sufficient website as yet, however the bid team you would hope are experienced enough to know when that would affect their bid. I was following Istanbul's olympic bid when it was bidding for the 2000 olympics. Back then the website was up very early and was functioning pretty well..Really dont think that was put into consideration during voting...When we want to determine how serious a city is in winning a bid, we need to look at the serious facts. Has Istanbul spent a lot of money in hosting events recently..the answer is "yes"...The Turkish population have never been exposed to events like swimming, athletics, etc. I know 100% the motivation behind building stadia and hosting these events has been an Olympic games..that in my opinion means your serious. Turkey gave up Euro 2020, which was handed on a silver plater by Platini. That in my opinion means your serious. Istanbul has spent billions on Infrastructure in the last decade and will spend a 20 billion more, including a bridge and the world's biggest airport. Every time an annoucement is made about a project the Olympics are mentioned. That in my opinion means your serious....Tell us the story...tell us what you will be doing to ensure a successful hosting of the event...That is where the priority is right now...websites, logo, although important.. aren't of core importance...Sydney changed its logo after being awarded the games in 2000..because Sydney wasnt serious during the bidding process? No of course not..Besides us... who do you think out there are keenly interested in the bidding, i wonder how many people out there would be visiting these sites 9 months out from the vote anyway...Id bet most IOC members havent even looked at any of the sites :lol: In my opinion the delays are because maybe they want to do things different this time..maybe this time they want to get it right..not sure...But im sure in due time we'll have one.

This reminds me of the time, when Istanbul had not released its logo as yet. Members on the forums were crying out "istanbul isnt serious wheres the logo?!"...now 6 months later there is a logo and I dont think the IOC is going to mark Istanbul down for releasing the logo a few months after the other bids including Baku and Doha. Yes it of our inconvenience that we do not have a sufficient website as yet, however the bid team you would hope are experienced enough to know when that would affect their bid. I was following Istanbul's olympic bid when it was bidding for the 2000 olympics. Back then the website was up very early and was functioning pretty well..Really dont think that was put into consideration during voting...When we want to determine how serious a city is in winning a bid, we need to look at the serious facts. Has Istanbul spent a lot of money in hosting events recently..the answer is "yes"...The Turkish population have never been exposed to events like swimming, athletics, etc. I know 100% the motivation behind building stadia and hosting these events has been an Olympic games..that in my opinion means your serious. Turkey gave up Euro 2020, which was handed on a silver plater by Platini. That in my opinion means your serious. Istanbul has spent billions on Infrastructure in the last decade and will spend a 20 billion more, including a bridge and the world's biggest airport. Every time an annoucement is made about a project the Olympics are mentioned. That in my opinion means your serious....Tell us the story...tell us what you will be doing to ensure a successful hosting of the event...That is where the priority is right now...websites, logo, although important.. aren't of core importance...Sydney changed its logo after being awarded the games in 2000..because Sydney wasnt serious during the bidding process? No of course not..Besides us... who do you think out there are keenly interested in the bidding, i wonder how many people out there would be visiting these sites 9 months out from the vote anyway...Id bet most IOC members havent even looked at any of the sites :lol: In my opinion the delays are because maybe they want to do things different this time..maybe this time they want to get it right..not sure...But im sure in due time we'll have one.

Yeah...but if they want to host an Olympics, they have to meet certain deadlines. This may just prove that Istanbul is NOT ready to host an Olympics.

AK30, this is a bit different from the ridiculousness on this forum around their apparently "late" logo.

The simple fact is this an organisation with a £20m+ budget. This week is the first week of the international bid process, the first week the IOC have allowed bids to push their case, market their bids internationally, get their message out. I'm a web designer, and most of my clients (who are much smaller than Istanbul 2020) wouldn't allow their website to suddenly become useless, LET ALONE in a week where they're suddenly getting press attention (I don't think there's a major news outlet in the UK that hasn't covered the 2020 race this week and indeed Tokyo has been really hot in making sure they take advantage).

You're completely right, let's not get this out of perspective. But there's no excuse for having next to no web presence for an organisation their size, and the timing of this downtime is more than unfortunate, it's unprofessional.

I'd have to agree, I'm disappointed in Istanbul for letting it go on for over 24 hours, especially in such an important week.

You followed Istanbul's website back in 1993 when it was bidding for the 2000 Olympics? While the Internet existed in 1993 (in it's infancy) I find it hard to believe Istanbul (or any of the 2000 bid cities) had any substantial web presence during that campaign - let alone a website that can be in any way compared to what we are talking about now. But if your memory serves you correct, and the Istanbul 2000 website was up and running early in 1993, then it is astounding that they would flounder, 20 years later, in 2013.

As for saying that web presence is not important in an Olympic bidding process, given the sharp incline in the importance and reliance on the internet for information thesedays, is nothing short of foolish. It is foolish to underestimate the importance of the Internet. This is 2013.

Anyway, as for the throw-away comparison to Sydney changing its bid logo - this is what ALL Olympic hosts have been doing for the better part of the last 50 years. An Olympic bid is a separate organisation to an Olympic Games, each with a different goal. The logo reflects this. Sydney didn't change its logo because it was complacent, it changed it because thats just how it is done.

Baron-PierreIV

What is the deadline for having a website up and running?

RObH

I absolutely agree, and I do not think it was a smart move to drop the ball on that one

Runningrings

I never said the web presence is not important. Im underestimating how crucial it is right now...in relation to the overall bid...of course it should be up and running perfect now...is it going to cost the city the bid as some like to dramatise it...no i dont think so....but i dont doubt that it shoudnt be up...I place a lot higher importance on the bigger things..as these are the areas i think Istanbul has lost it previously...and not so much on the marketing such as logo and website..without discreditng it..as i know..without it..there is no bid

As for the Istanbul 2000 bid..i may have got confused 1 or 2 bids early..there has been so many..however I do remember one of the earlier bids having the site up, running well..early in the bid process...Logo important? yes website important? yes...BUT I just think at the end of it all..the city will win or lose based on its ability to host the games..ie infrastructure...

What it's true is that the process stills cold, though it's starting to heat up with the bid books... Istanbul wants to gain more atention when the website will be launched, so they're still lazy with that.

Baron-PierreIV

What is the deadline for having a website up and running?

Yesterday. No; but it's these little things that are indicative of the organization's capabiltes. If the other teams can organize, get everything in sync -- that sends a much stronger message to the IOC voters that they can organize better, are more committed and professional than some other rival team that just wakes up tomorrow and/or does not try to show they can commit to deadlines. Those perceptions can win it or lose it for a team -- and after all, Istanbul has NO excuse. This is what? their 4th try -- so, if anything, they should be even MORE on-pace than Tokyo or Madrid...if they really want to beat the other two. Just saying...

Wouldnt it be lovely to be able to communicate to members of the bid team somehow..if these bid teams were smart they would be making regular visits to these forums..information regarding the website would be questions id like to ask right now

Archived