2020 - the New Candidates Poll

Sir Rols

2020 Candidates Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which City Do You Expect To Win The Bid For The 2020 Olympic Games?

2. 2. Which City do you WANT to win the 2020 Olympic Games?

Now that the bid books have been delivered and the business end of the campaign is set to start, just thought it might be time to start a new poll on 2020. The other one we had still listed Baku and Doha (and Rome - with my vote for it, to my embarassment).

Also, I've put two polls to cover both expectations and wishes, to see what difference there is between the two.

I voted Tokyo for "want to win," but that's only because I had to choose. I would've supported Rome like a Roman would, but I'm still not crazy about any of the remaining options. I'll be excited for the 2020 Games when it arrives (whatever city is chosen), but the race itself in 2013 seems real underwhelming.

Very interesting poll results here. Such dramatic differences between desire and expectation!

Yeah, it makes me wonder if some of us are underestimating Istanbul's chances. I just don't get the feeling of momentum and appeal that Rio seemed to be attracting at this point four years ago, but it sure seems to be the sentimental pick for so many.

I voted Tokyo for both.

I'd like Tokyo to win because it is within 2 hours of my time zone so I would be able to watch the ceremonies etc at reasonable times unlike waking at 4am for Londons swimming and ceremonies etc.

I still think Tokyo will win as is anyway. Istanbul, yes 5 bid I still don't think they are ready and the whole stupid, stupid Euro backfired cause to me it shows that they don't have there priorities straight.

I'd like to here what the people who think Madrid will win have to say however I have never seen any of them before here...

Perhaps it may come down to the actual presentations, the 2nd round votes and if before September 2013, Durban and the RSA come out more convincingly of their plans.

If there isn't a majority in the first round ;)

Always keep in the mind the frontrunner usually does not win in the end.

I'm don't accept that totally. There's clear front-runners (Beijing 2008), there's likely front-runners (Paris 2012) and hypothetical frontrunners (Chicago 2016). It depends on the race.

The factor I personally pay most attention to is momentum. And I don't see Istanbul having even started building up any at all so far.

I'm don't accept that totally. There's clear front-runners (Beijing 2008), there's likely front-runners (Paris 2012) and hypothetical frontrunners (Chicago 2016). It depends on the race.

The factor I personally pay most attention to is momentum. And I don't see Istanbul having even started building up any at all so far.

I used usually because of those bids that were going to win no matter what. So Beijing is a good example.

Even now is too early for momentum. I think that can be felt more decisively in April or so when the Eval Committee has done its rounds and word leaks out on how they may go. Plus, the campaigning will really start to heat up then.

Madrid's options are the votes of all countries which want to avoid a strong French or German, or even a Russian 2024 bid. Go Madrid.

It is quite sad that you don't give reasons why Madrid's bid is the best for 2020 - instead of that you are trying to fan uneasiness toward other nations, which might bid four years later...

That's what I call unfair behaviour

Even now is too early for momentum. I think that can be felt more decisively in April or so when the Eval Committee has done its rounds and word leaks out on how they may go. Plus, the campaigning will really start to heat up then.

Agreed, the action starts after the eval visits and when all the set-piece big gatherings start happening this year.

The only problem is prejudices. People, who has never been in Turkey or Istanbul comments without any knowledge about Turkey.

Also a lot of people commenting here too who have been to Turkey recently.

And don't forget - the IOC members themselves don't visit the candidate cities during the bid phases any more, so they have to rely on others' reports as much as us.

At the end of the day..I think the decision is going to be based upon whether Istanbul can pull it off or not. Everyone knows Tokyo would be able to stage a successful Olympic games. There isnt a doubt about that. The question is can Istanbul's traffic (infrastructure) sustain an Olympics..If the IOC members are convinced it can, then I see Istanbul 2020. If the IOC are not..then Tokyo 2020. Thats what I think it will come to..Can Istanbul do it or not.

This race is unpredictable. Any of the 3 can pull off a win if momentum favors them even Madrid. Madrid needs to lock up those South American and African votes if it wants to stand a good chance. The North American votes will be in their favor as well. They might split those in the first round with Istanbul, but if Istanbul gets knocked off the first ballot those votes will go to Madrid. Madrid has a good overall bid again, but the timing might be the downfall but its not a complete deal killer.

The "discrepancy" between expectation and wish concerning Tokio's bid is very interesting: most people here expect Tokio's victory, but less people wish Tokio's victory...

Thats what I think will be consistent with the IOC..I think if the same vote was put to the IOC...the majority would want an Istanbul victory..however the difference here is that the people on these forums expect a Tokyo victory because 90% of them..do not think Istanbul's traffic or infrastructure will cope...which woud again be consistent with the IOC..unless the Istanbul bid team can prove otherwise.

Archived