Greetings from Alaska again. I've been an Olympics nut for a long time and especially love the ceremonies. My favorite games of all time was Innsbruck in 76- this was the 1st one I really followed (and developed my first "celebrity crush" with Dorothy Hamill :) ) I was inquiring about footage from the closing ceremony- video footage specifically. I was always fascinated with the two cauldrons and how dramatically they went out. Is there footage of it anywhwere out there? I grew up with Jim McKay and ABC's coverage....pure greatness of memories for me....would appreciate any help with all this.....Cheers to all in the coming year!!!!

Welcome, Deeger. The footage of the 1976 Closing u are looking for, has NOT yet appeared on Utube. Also, Innsbruck 1976 had one of those indoor Closing ceremonies -- so mainly it was a Skating Gala -- so I don't believe they used 2 caldera inside. I think it was only one cauldron (a substitute one).

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading the post-Games report of Innsbruck 1976 recently, can't remember where though. It had images of the Closing Ceremony, which was held in the indoor ice hockey arena. From what I gathered they had extinguished from the 1964 and 1976 cauldrons earlier in the day, and transferred the flame to a third, small, closing ceremony cauldron (as would be done in 1980 and 1984). That's all I can recall. That and that the handover to Lake Placid included Native American pageantry.

I was reading the post-Games report of Innsbruck 1976 recently, can't remember where though. It had images of the Closing Ceremony, which was held in the indoor ice hockey arena. From what I gathered they had extinguished from the 1964 and 1976 cauldrons earlier in the day, and transferred the flame to a third, small, closing ceremony cauldron (as would be done in 1980 and 1984). That's all I can recall. That and that the handover to Lake Placid included Native American pageantry.

Hmmm... The official post-Games report doesn't give any details about how the closing ceremony went. It even contains only three pictures of the ceremony. You can find it here (just like the other official reports from past Olympic Games): http://www.aafla.org/5va/reports_frmst.htm

You find the pictures from the closing ceremony on pages 161 and 162. On the last of the three pictures one cannot even recognise an indoor cauldron in the ice hockey arena, while apparently the Olympic Flag is lowered from the arena's ceiling. I don't know, maybe they had extinguished the indoor cauldron by then already - or it was very small. On the other hand, I recognise some fiery glow on the screen hanging from the wall in the background (above the Greek, Austrian and US flags). Could that be a live broadcast from the two main cauldrons still burning?

EDIT: I overlooked two additional closing ceremony pictures on page 160. But even there, I can't see any indoor cauldron. But one sees the Native Americans from Lake Placid performing, together with dancers in traditional Alpine/Tyrolean costumes.

EDIT 2: As far as I can see, the only about the closing ceremony in the official report is the following on page 220:

Closing ceremony

549 athletes marched in at the closing ceremony in the Olympic Stadium. 1,080 sq. metres of grass carpeting were laid in the stadium to decorate the ice rink. 60 schoolchildren threw thousands of tulips to the athletes as they marched out. Two mummery groups from Thaur and Mühlau, 80 people in all, gave a demonstration of old Tyrolean customs during carnival. 40 couples coming from all Austrian provinces gave a display of the Tyrolean torch dance. The Tyrolean Military Band again provided the musical background.

EDIT 3, correction: "As far as I can see, the only text about the closing ceremony in the official report is the following on page 220"

Thank you guys for the help! Thats a great shot. The image on the hanging screen I remember-it was of the cauldrons at Bergisel. way cool....!!!

Hmmm... The official post-Games report doesn't give any details about how the closing ceremony went. It even contains only three pictures of the ceremony. You can find it here (just like the other official reports from past Olympic Games): http://www.aafla.org/5va/reports_frmst.htm

You find the pictures from the closing ceremony on pages 161 and 162. On the last of the three pictures one cannot even recognise an indoor cauldron in the ice hockey arena, while apparently the Olympic Flag is lowered from the arena's ceiling. I don't know, maybe they had extinguished the indoor cauldron by then already - or it was very small. On the other hand, I recognise some fiery glow on the screen hanging from the wall in the background (above the Greek, Austrian and US flags). Could that be a live broadcast from the two main cauldrons still burning?

EDIT: I overlooked two additional closing ceremony pictures on page 160. But even there, I can't see any indoor cauldron. But one sees the Native Americans from Lake Placid performing, together with dancers in traditional Alpine/Tyrolean costumes.

EDIT 2: As far as I can see, the only about the closing ceremony in the official report is the following on page 220:

EDIT 3, correction: "As far as I can see, the only text about the closing ceremony in the official report is the following on page 220"

Thank you guys for the help! Thats a great shot. The image on the hanging screen I remember-it was of the cauldrons at Bergisel. way cool....!!!

Then Innsbruck apparently did the same as Sapporo four years earlier. They also projected the burning outdoor cauldron on a screen there:

The interior momentarily darkened; and then the Sacred Olympic Fire, which had been burning continuously since the Opening Ceremony floated up brightly on the Eidophor screen specially erected in the center of the third tier. During the singing of the "Hymn to the Closing of the Sapporo Olympics," the flame gradually diminished in size until at last it disappeared from the screen altogether at precisely forty-two minutes past seven. The "Fire of Peace," having watched over the Games for eleven days after being carried by approximately 16,300 young hands during the 18,700 kilometer journey from Athens, once again returned to the sun whence it came.

Source: http://www.la84foundation.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1972/orw1972.pdf

• 7 years later...

No wonder Denver pushed back against the 1976 Winter Games awarded them; and they've got folks who want to reopen quickly. .  They do have a history.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/opinions/denver-1918-lesson-avlon/index.html (skip the video; it does not sync with the particular story.)

It must be that altitude to keep that loopy thinking (or non-thinking) going.