Newcastle (Aus) 2030

Sir Rols

Sigh! I can just see the battle of the powerhouses: Hamilton (Can) V Hamilton (NZ) V Newcastle (Aus) V Newcastle (Eng).

Newcastle bid to host Commonwealth Games

Newcastle Councillor Nuatali Nelmes says she does not consider it unrealistic for the city to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games.

Councillor Nelmes will move a notice of motion at this week's Council meeting calling for support for Newcastle to prepare a bid for the Games.

The motion calls for the general manager to contact the relevant state and federal agencies to support Newcastle in preparing a bid.

Councillor Nelmes says a bid for the Games would fit with Council's Newcastle 2030 vision.

"I don't think it's unrealistic," she said.

"I think Newcastle needs people to have a vision.

"They need their community leaders, their councillors, their state representatives and their federals to actually articulate a vision for the city and look at ways we can attract funding both public and private.

"Investment in public infrastructure in the city to achieve a vision, we have a 2030 vision and hosting a Commonwealth Games would definitely attract spending."

"This is a way of not only being able to prepare the city to host a great international event but also attract the resources this region deserves."

ABC

Wae'aye man! B)

Don't know much about the Aussie Newcastle. Is it capable?

About the same size as the GC-Tweed area. Probably our biggest non state capital, and bigger than the likes of Canberra, Hobart or Darwin. Population about half a million. Bit of a rust-bucket city.

They could probably manage it, but I'd prefer if we sat out from bidding for a while.

Hambantota did get 27 votes and considering all the issues of Gold Coast atm....

Yeah you're right, Hambantota should win 2022! They clearly are ready to host such a large scale event :D

They can host all the events in the one stadium! Or spend millions of billions of dollars to build more stadiums.

Anywho they had no chance at 2018. We don't expect Newcastle to win however we need more serious bids. SA 2022? Canada 2026? Possibly England bid or wales

Yeah you're right, Hambantota should win 2022! They clearly are ready to host such a large scale event :D

They can host all the events in the one stadium! Or spend millions of billions of dollars to build more stadiums.

Anywho they had no chance at 2018. We don't expect Newcastle to win however we need more serious bids. SA 2022? Canada 2026? Possibly England bid or wales

Not to defend them I actually would have voted Glod Coast, they are hosting the 2017 Asian Youth Games so they will have everything built in a compact area, something Gold Coast doesn't with venues as far a day's car ride away.

If Canada doesn't win 2022 then I don't think they will bid for 2026 and wait till 2030. The concept of using the same stadium as 100 years ago is a cool idea but since it has been destroyed IDK if Hamilton will have much as a pull.

Australia clearly wants to keep the record of 'most raised flag at CWG ceremonies'. B)

They are the best in terms of medals so why not lol

Australia can;t keep on expecting to host every third CWG

:mellow: Unfortunatly this may have to be the case for the rest of this side of 2050. Nobody really wants them outside UK and wishfull dreamers such as Rol's favorite...Hamabanchocktowridge! Probibly see another host from Malaysia or Singapore, but really Australia will have to be holding the baton more or less sooner rather than later.

The games themselves are going through a transformation in format so I can't see anything wrong with Newcastle raising it's hand.

<_< Although I'd think watching organisers try and do a variation on a theme of 'Australianess' for the umtenth time for another opening ceremony will be interesting.

:mellow: Unfortunatly this may have to be the case for the rest of this side of 2050. Nobody really wants them outside UK and wishfull dreamers such as Rol's favorite...Hamabanchocktowridge! Probibly see another host from Malaysia or Singapore, but really Australia will have to be holding the baton more or less sooner rather than later.

The games themselves are going through a transformation in format so I can't see anything wrong with Newcastle raising it's hand.

<_< Although I'd think watching organisers try and do a variation on a theme of 'Australianess' for the umtenth time for another opening ceremony will be interesting.

I think Canada would have thrown their hat in for 2018 if Toronto had not won 2015 and had been making noise for 2020 (Olympics)

Not to defend them I actually would have voted Glod Coast, they are hosting the 2017 Asian Youth Games so they will have everything built in a compact area, something Gold Coast doesn't with venues as far a day's car ride away.

If Canada doesn't win 2022 then I don't think they will bid for 2026 and wait till 2030. The concept of using the same stadium as 100 years ago is a cool idea but since it has been destroyed IDK if Hamilton will have much as a pull.

Well a days car ride from Gold Coast is about Sydney. Brisbane is about 1 hour away so I have no idea what you're on about.

Hope Canada bids it has been a while!

Well a days car ride from Gold Coast is about Sydney. Brisbane is about 1 hour away so I have no idea what you're on about.

Hope Canada bids it has been a while!

I think he's referring to basketball up in Townsville and Cairns. But big deal! 2006 did the same (Ballarat & Bendigo). It's just like the Olympics with football and sailing, plus it's good politics to spread sports that require sessions of pool gams around the state that's paying for them - bringing the games to the people.

Like the Olympics, people like to talk "compact" footprints, but it's marketing spiel. It's rarely, if ever, achieved, and doesn't seem to influence host voting choices.

Here's hoping they bid for 2022. But fact remains there are sports like netball which have no presence in Canada.

Yeah, well there's sh!t in any multi-sports games roster - like handball, synchro swimming, curling etc in the Olys - that we're not interested in here, but we still bid.

With the Commies, at least you do get some scope to tailor the chosen program for the home audience. One of the few games where you can do that.

Yeah, well there's sh!t in any multi-sports games roster - like handball, synchro swimming, curling etc in the Olys - that we're not interested in here, but we still bid.

With the Commies, at least you do get some scope to tailor the chosen program for the home audience. One of the few games where you can do that.

Hmm lol synchronized swimming is the only sport Canada would be guaranteed 2 gold medals but that sport will likely never return to the program.

If they pick canoeing maybe. ROwing would be perfect it would have so many good countries.

Rowing would be fantastic from the point of view of the top tier nations, the rowing at the 1950 Empire Games in Auckland at Lake Karapiro had huuuuge crowds by all accounts.

I would have a fear though that rowing would almost turn into another netball, in that at the top you have the best in the world (New Zealand, Australia, Canada, England) - but below that....... it's painful watching an African trying to row.

Im confident enough that in the coming Games we will have a good variety of bidders, I know from NZ's point of view I think there is enough urban change and drive at the moment in a couple of cities where Im sure we will get another bid soon. The interest obviously is there as there was a considerable determined campaign for 2018, it's just a case of having a more favourable economic climate and government. I'd still pick it as being part of Auckland's extended plan to continue as the first city of the Pacific, and of course who knows what will happen with Christchurch.

Canada is due and plenty on offer there, as long as they don't go back to picking friendly but 3rd tier cities like we had in the 90s (the bid contest for 94 including London, Thunder Bay and the winner Victoria).

There seems to be enough interest in the UK to throw up at least one candidate, and Singapore and South Africa has to host eventually.

Im sure there is always room for another Sydney eventually, of course it wouldn't envelop the city like an Olympics, but it can still make a nice fit, it just takes a rethink in the hosting.

Rowing would be fantastic from the point of view of the top tier nations, the rowing at the 1950 Empire Games in Auckland at Lake Karapiro had huuuuge crowds by all accounts.

I would have a fear though that rowing would almost turn into another netball, in that at the top you have the best in the world (New Zealand, Australia, Canada, England) - but below that....... it's painful watching an African trying to row.

Im confident enough that in the coming Games we will have a good variety of bidders, I know from NZ's point of view I think there is enough urban change and drive at the moment in a couple of cities where Im sure we will get another bid soon. The interest obviously is there as there was a considerable determined campaign for 2018, it's just a case of having a more favourable economic climate and government. I'd still pick it as being part of Auckland's extended plan to continue as the first city of the Pacific, and of course who knows what will happen with Christchurch.

Canada is due and plenty on offer there, as long as they don't go back to picking friendly but 3rd tier cities like we had in the 90s (the bid contest for 94 including London, Thunder Bay and the winner Victoria).

There seems to be enough interest in the UK to throw up at least one candidate, and Singapore and South Africa has to host eventually.

Im sure there is always room for another Sydney eventually, of course it wouldn't envelop the city like an Olympics, but it can still make a nice fit, it just takes a rethink in the hosting.

Interesting that London bid for 1994. They bid for the 1991 Pan Am Games and due to lobbying the bid was dropped. The venues proposed were horrible too.

Netball only realisticly has only Australia/New Zealand

Besides England, British medalists in London also came from Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

So Canada, New Zealand, Wales, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Australia that is about 7 teams. South Africa is also competitve so 8.

Here are the results from the 2010 Commonwealth Championships

Netball...meh. Only a five way split Eng, Aus, NZ, SA, Jam.

Basketball should be a regular...

And yes, please bring back the Rowing/Canoeing program!!!

After the high of three months ago, it was such a fizzer jumping over to the 2014 site and getting a reality check when viewing the program.

basketball at the CWG is a joke. Not the best teams compete and really we only have Australia, NZL and maybe Canada as good enough to compete if the best athletes would compete. In 2018 NBA season iwll be still going on so not the best will be present in Gold Coast.

Archived