Team New Zealand at Rio 2016

42 minutes ago, Faster said:

I guess that makes up for missing the other 3 medal chances for New Zealand today.

Bloody awful so far...Two of the predicted eight golds now gone...Bond and Murray finally breaking the hoodoo.

:D

Fiji have won their first Olympic medal...GOLD.

Sevens Champions.

Fiji 43 - Great Britain 7

All this time they were holding back...wooo

Congratulations our Island holiday getaway home.

:(

Strange Day...so far

Men's Hockey team suddenly grew some pairs and blasted their way into the Q Finals after beating Belgium 3-1...not bad. They join the Women who also have made it in.

Silver in the rowing...Women's Pair. 

Drysdale through to defend his Gold in the Single Sculls final.

Valerie Adams Instantly qualified on top with one throw to go through and defend her title later this evening.

Sadly no new tin in the Mens cycling to better yesterday's Silver. The team seems to have melted down under an all powerful GB and Australian teams. Big issues to look at there...Women's team starting out.

Swimming, dead in the water.

Very mixed efforts all round in the first six days...not bad - but not inspiring either. 

At least the water still have some hope for Golds, Burling and Tiuke winning their racing...

Golf sees Ryan Fox in the top ten. Ko still a few days away.

But...Go Valerie.

:unsure:

Edited by Alexjc

:angry:

Ahhhrgh Wuck the Forld...Yet another pipped at the line into Silver for NZ.

Queen Val has been toppled :(

I'm almost over this depressing first week. Might just turn off...Rio's a hoodoo Olympics.

Seriously you need to get some perspective. This is sport, and this is the Olympics. It's not meant to be easy. New Zealand had chances to win more medals, and it didn't work out. But if we compare this to four years ago at the end of day seven in London New Zealand had six medals - here we have seven. 

Valerie's silver was cruel how it played out. But when you think about it, this was her longest throw in 2 years coming back from injury. I just saw an interview with her and she is happy. She is a legend!

Depressing is a very strong word, and I think you are using it out of context. Let's wait until the games are over before we criticise our team. 

• Like 2

Not criticising the Team...more the "Expected Results" build up that our parochial media has piled on us. Of course we have the right to be annoyed when it doesn't go our way...But I'm from the last generation of "Play to Win" era...not today's "Play to Participate" p.c. et al generation. 

I do recall predicting the Sevens would turn out they way it did...and it didn't help AP Media cranking up an abnormally high medal haul. Going by what's coming up, at best we will equal London in all round medals.

Probably should've used "Annoyed" rather than "depressed"...So wanted Queen V to win.

Anyway I went for a quick run just to burn it off.

Oh the joys of being a small nation. The media here was actually pretty down on our chances. But I know what it is like to have the media going gonzo about possible performance and the let-down of not achieving it. Especially at a home Games.

• Like 1

:D

Pheeww! Jaaaysssuuuss that was beyond close!!!!

Mahe Drysdale to the Rescue!!

Back to Back GOLD!...on a cliffhanger that finally went NZs way.

Single Men's Sculls!

And a bloody great effort by first time Women's Eights getting in fourth place.

Men's Eights a respectable end in sixth place.

A long time since Eights were in finals...good for 2020.

So ends the NZ Rowing program in Rio...B-  

Edited by Alexjc

10 hours ago, Faster said:

Oh the joys of being a small nation. The media here was actually pretty down on our chances. But I know what it is like to have the media going gonzo about possible performance and the let-down of not achieving it. Especially at a home Games.

.... canada topped the gold in vancouver and you were like 2 during calgary.

53 minutes ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

.... canada topped the gold in vancouver and you were like 2 during calgary.

Goal in Vancouver was 35 medals. Finished well back of that. Canada hadn't focused on gold until Vancouver happened and all those gold.

:angry: Right about now for the rest of the day...I HATE Germany.

And I don't for one minute believe the refs were impartial in the men's Hockey Q Final. NZ leading 2 - 0 until the last four minutes...:angry:

DL 3 v NZ 2

Absolutely devastated with the hockey That was just heartbreaking! Now just witnessed the men's 100m. Bolt is a legend! Excellent to see. 

I think I need to go for a run to let off some of this frustration. Very disappointing result with the hockey. But I guess it ain't over until its over. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, micheal_warren said:

Absolutely devastated with the hockey That was just heartbreaking! Now just witnessed the men's 100m. Bolt is a legend! Excellent to see. 

I think I need to go for a run to let off some of this frustration. Very disappointing result with the hockey. But I guess it ain't over until its over. 

So impressed with Bolt...fumbled his start and yet still managed to hold it together and power past Gatlen. Worthy of his title...everyone wants the good guy to win :)

(Too dangerous for me to go for a run this afternoon...if I encounter a German tourist along the river path, I'd probably shove them into the water - best I crank up my exercycle on high setting instead!)

:):blink:

Trust the girls to come to the rescue... Womens Hockey through to the Semi Finals. 

NZL 4 - AUS 2

Needed that.

Also Lisa Carrington easily through to the kayak 200m final tomorrow.

Yachting... Mixed results (none of our sports groups have got away without some horrible bad luck). But the men seem to be on track for medals of sorts.

Women's Golf No1 Liddya Ko arrives in Rio for the golf.

Need another Gold.

BRONZE for Sam Meech in the men's Lazer yachting.

Gold (unofficially) for NZ Team Captains...Tuke and Berling in the 49er Class and still have two races up their sleeves.

Starting to catch up to London's total...with a bit more gold glitter.

Edited by Alexjc

On 8/15/2016 at 10:17 AM, Alexjc said:

:):blink:

Trust the girls to come to the rescue... Womens Hockey through to the Semi Finals. 

NZL 4 - AUS 2

Needed that.

Also Lisa Carrington easily through to the kayak 200m final tomorrow.

Yachting... Mixed results (none of our sports groups have got away without some horrible bad luck). But the men seem to be on track for medals of sorts.

Women's Golf No1 Liddya Ko arrives in Rio for the golf.

Need another Gold.

You just know the Aussies certainly aren't liking that coming from the Black Sticks...

:DWater saves the day and takes the overall medal tally past London...pheww

A medal of each colour for NZ today.

Bronze: Lisa Carrington K500 Women's Kayak.

Silver: Yachting women's 470 class. 

Silver: Yachting women's 49er class.

GOLD: Yachting Men's 49er class.

Gold - 4

Silver - 7

Bronze - 3

Gold count still behind London and LA but a couple of chances still there...of course nowhere near that OTT Ap Media total of 23 medals...too many epic fails.

Edited by Alexjc

2 minutes ago, Alexjc said:

:DWater saves the day and takes the overall medal tally past London...pheww

A medal of each colour for NZ today.

Bronze: Lisa Carrington K500 Women's Kayak.

Silver: Yachting women's 470 class. 

Silver: Yachting women's 49er class.

GOLD: Yachting Men's 49er class.

Gold count still behind London and LA but a couple of chances still there...of course nowhere near that OTT Ap Media total of 23 medals...too many epic fails.

Seriously - I dont think anyone realistically expected 23 medals that AP predicted. HPSNZ set a target of 14 which we have met with still some chances to come. 

This result should be celebrated. It is the most medals we have ever won at a single Olympic Games. It is harder today than ever before to win an Olympic medal. More countries are spending mroe money on elite sport. Just look at the Aussies who havent lived up to expectations. 

Sure there will always be some athletes that dont live up to expectations. But that is sport. Just as there are some athletes who exceed expectations. 

That is the beauty of sport. 

Congratulations to the New Zealand team in Rio! Our most medals ever at a single Olympic Games. 

• Like 1

BRONZE for Walsh in the Shot Put. This is the first time that a Kiwi male has won a field medal at the Olympic Games after 88 years of trying. 

Medal number 5 for the day and medal number 15 for the games. Brilliant day today for New Zealand

• Like 1

13 hours ago, micheal_warren said:

BRONZE for Walsh in the Shot Put. This is the first time that a Kiwi male has won a field medal at the Olympic Games after 88 years of trying. 

Medal number 5 for the day and medal number 15 for the games. Brilliant day today for New Zealand

:) 

Fabulous Friday! (NZ time) matches Super Saturday eight years ago. Great to see Tom Welch capping it off with a Bronze.

Aleh and Powrei the superheroes of the day and probably the NZ Olympic team after their brave fightback in the yachting 470 class. Reflecting the Silver victory after one hell of a week of put backs.

15 medals...so far, uncharted territory. Sitting on water or chucking heavy cannon balls seems to be what we are good at.

Still, because of a lesser Gold count, NZ falls back on the medal table as that colour counts only.

Edited by Alexjc