Baku 2015 European Games

The sea waves.... Deja Vu Barcelona '92 OC Mar Mediterraneo segment...

Can you believe after 23 years Barcelona ceremonies still are influence on these ceremonies?????

Those ceremonies marked a before and an after of how to do sport ceremonies (even though Auckland 1990 was actually the first one to use the wave thing)

Goodbye, flame

This last part with the candles remind me of the finale of Bangkok 1998 Asiad Closing

And now the party begins. Great closing ceremony. Felt less pretentious than what Papaioanu gave us two weeks ago. Well done, Baku.

You can tell this ceremony was done by a whole different team than the opening ceremony.

Overall, the ceremonies were pretty good and unless Cirque du Soleil surprises us i think we've already seen the best ceremonies of 2015.

You can tell this ceremony was done by a whole different team than the opening ceremony.

Overall, the ceremonies were pretty good and unless Cirque du Soleil surprises us i think we've already seen the best ceremonies of 2015.

I think the same.... anyway I don't think Toronto ceremonies will disapoint us... and Beijing IAAF either.....

I wonder about Universiade OC in Korea.... They won't top Kazan...

I guess this is it! Canadian modesty will prevent them to try and prove something to the world (and their 2015 games is just that). I expect something very Glasgow 2014 and hope to be completely wrong in two weeks..

I guess this is it! Canadian modesty will prevent them to try and prove something to the world (and their 2015 games is just that). I expect something very Glasgow 2014 and hope to be completely wrong in two weeks..

Hope this me, too.... I am expecting a Cirque du Soleil show more than a traditional amazing Olympic Ceremony....

SEA Games did it well, too although they were a Sochi reminder.....

I think the same.... anyway I don't think Toronto ceremonies will disapoint us... and Beijing IAAF either.....

I wonder about Universiade OC in Korea.... They won't top Kazan...

Gwangju for what i saw will be a return to the modesty of pre-Shenzhen ceremonies, sadly. I guess they're saving the best for Pyeongyang (they better be or i'm going to be very dissapointed)

Oh right, i forgot about Beijing IAAF. Knowing China they will do a good show

Gwangju for what i saw will be a return to the modesty of pre-Shenzhen ceremonies, sadly. I guess they're saving the best for Pyeongyang (they better be or i'm going to be very dissapointed)

Oh right, i forgot about Beijing IAAF. Knowing China they will do a good show

Korea are turning down ceremonies as it happened in the Asiad 2014, in comparison with what they did id China in 2010...

(too lavish in my opinion)

Korea are turning down ceremonies as it happened in the Asiad 2014, in comparison with what they did id China in 2010...

(too lavish in my opinion)

The fact they will be building a temporary stage just for the show seems to me like they're planning to do something more spectacular (like Guangzhou which built a whole new stage in an artificial island just for the ceremonies). Maybe they know the Universiade and Asiad aren't very watched games so they decided to save money or something.

Well, it's over. Farewell Baku. Farewell Azerbaijan. Until 2020 for the Euro.

• Like 1

Now it is time to say goodbye to Baku 2015. I believe it was a great event, a great show, a great celebration of sports and friednship, a success that Azerbaijan will definitely benefit in a long run. Thank you all for following the thread :)

In conclusion:

Epic opening ceremony but very boring and very poor segments. Just a weird pyre with a lot of fireworks. WTF Lady Gaga? WTF Imagine?

Closing ceremony very well made, well designed, great shows with beautiful takes the camera. The fenix was the bad point.

About the games, I found a very tepid event, emotionless by the public, both in sporting events and in the ceremonies. Most installations were without public during the games. In outdoor events Baku looked like a ghost town. Triathlon for example people circled the street as if nothing was happening.

• Like 1

I think the baron will really like that one & go crazy about comparing it to the opening by you-know-who ;) Nice to see the burning seagull from 2012 being recycled - save the planet & all that :P

Here is the full vid:

Safe to say it's not doing too much for the cost-conscious Dutch-thinkers of Europe :lol:

• Like 1

I think the baron will really like that one & go crazy about comparing it to the opening by you-know-who ;) Nice to see the burning seagull from 2012 being recycled - save the planet & all that :P

Here is the full vid:

Safe to say it's not doing too much for the cost-conscious Dutch-thinkers of Europe :lol:

Thanks, yoshi. Am pretty busy today. Will try to watch it tomorrow.

About the games, I found a very tepid event, emotionless by the public, both in sporting events and in the ceremonies. Most installations were without public during the games. In outdoor events Baku looked like a ghost town. Triathlon for example people circled the street as if nothing was happening.

I don't agree with this point of yours. Despite to the fact this event was not as big as Summer Olympics, it still attracted a lot of spectators who were willing to watch the games live:

55383_8-LG-HD.jpg
c4ff226e208d.jpg
51267_8-LG-HD.jpg
40144_8-LG-HD.jpg
48414_8-LG-HD.jpg

Of course there were some sports, such as swimming where countries were represented by youngsters or athletics represented by 3rd league but even those sports attracted thousands of people:

49710_8-LG-HD.jpg

51988_8-LG-HD.jpg

Baku is not a ghost city. It is just some sports such as triathlon were held in Amburan village, some 20 km away from the city. However even there were spectators:
40044_8-LG-HD.jpg