Baku 2015 European Games

I must say that despite the recycling of some elements, this ceremony has quite an Olympic feel. Now I'm curious whether the Games themselves can keep that level, too. But Azerbaijan seems to pull all the stops here. Maybe that's good for a change, even if Azerbaijan is an autocratic country longing for prestige and attention, but it could bring the European Games on track right from the start, as opposed to a lukewarm and cheapish "Oh, well, yet another edition of multisports events - again" event.

I hardly believe that future Games (if this event survives) will be this grand unless they're hosted by the likes of Azerbaijan or Russia... The withdrawal of Netherlands - which were already planning to downsize and spread the event - doesn't bode well, too.

I must say that despite the recycling of some elements, this ceremony has quite an Olympic feel. Now I'm curious whether the Games themselves can keep that level, too. But Azerbaijan seems to pull all the stops here. Maybe that's good for a change, even if Azerbaijan is an autocratic country longing for prestige and attention, but it could bring the European Games on track right from the start, as opposed to a lukewarm and cheapish "Oh, well, yet another edition of multisports events - again" event.

Sorry, but these Games are already seriously damaged by the fact they're 100% Aliyev bankrolled, and it would take the EOC some very smart next few hosts to brush off the dirt. Netherlands pulling out of 2019 is already indication that this is an uphill battle from the start.

No, that wasn't what I meant. But so far, it has still been in doubt whether the European Games will survive or a "one time only" event. The EOC originally didn't even want to choose the 2019 host before the end of the Baku Games, because of that. What I meant was that if we get well-organised and maybe even exciting European Games now, the chances that the event will survive are a lot higher, because good organisation and excitement creates a positive image and media attention for the event.

I referred to Filipe Golias with that comment.

And to Stefan: The Netherlands didn't pull out because of Azerbaijan's negative image, but because the costs were too high for them. Let's wait and see who the two new candidates for the 2019 Games are. If it's Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and/or Turkey, you might have a point.

But the Azeris really pull out all the stops. Not every organising committee can afford Lady Gaga. Money can buy everything. ;)

Oops, delete Kazakhstan - it's not a member of the EOC of course ;)

No, that wasn't what I meant. But so far, it has still been in doubt whether the European Games will survive or a "one time only" event. The EOC originally didn't even want to choose the 2019 host before the end of the Baku Games, because of that. What I meant was that if we get well-organised and maybe even exciting European Games now, the chances that the event will survive are a lot higher, because good organisation and excitement creates a positive image and media attention for the event.

I referred to Filipe Golias with that comment.

To that purpose, I agree - it's better to start with a bang.

Still, the absence of major sports and athletes and the lack of interest from the big media cans till hamper these Games, and with it, the interest in future editions (which again I don't predict to be this flashy).

I like that the athletes are allowed to sit and leave the field empty for whatever spectacle going to come next. Wonder if the Olympic will ever adopt this concept?

Way too many athletes at the Olympics, that would mean too many reserved seats that can't be sold.

And now Mrs. "I can't move my face because it's 100% botox" Aliyeva speaks.

Way too many athletes at the Olympics, that would mean too many reserved seats that can't be sold.

The Winter Olympics have adopted that concept already, but I agree that it's unfeasible in the Summer Games due to the higher number of athletes.

• Like 1