Baku 2015 European Games

Seems wonderful.
How is going the venues and the infrastructure? There is topic about this?

Most of the venues and infrastructure projects are completed. I updated the topic with some fresh photos some days ago. Please check the previous page.

The venues I've seen so far are pretty stunning. The shooting venue, especially, looks really, really nice for, well, a shooting venue.

They are going all-out with the venues, it seems - doing a test run for a future Olympic bid perhaps?

Cue Galandar claiming that it's all Western propaganda.

Azerbaijan wanted these Games, they were the only bid and probably convinced European NOCs to irganise this fof the first time with a few good "arguments".

It's just a stepping stone for their Olympic bid, but they're no better than Qatar. In Sochi, the whole Azeri team consisted of imported athletes, in Eurovision they literally always use foreign songwriters. The regime does not care about promoting local talent, they just want to put on a glittery show for themselves.

Agreed, the Azeri regime is just one giant sham...they're essentially Central Asia's answer to Qatar, except with 100% more megalomania...

This is a list of European broadcasters that signed an agreement to broadcast the games. It is not the final list thouhg:

21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.pngAlbaniaTring Media

23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.pngAustriaSport1

23px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.pngBelarusBelarus 5

23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.pngBelgiumSport 10

23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.pngEstoniaERR

23px-Flag_of_France.svg.pngFranceL'Equipe 21

23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.pngGermanySport1

23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.pngHungaryDigiSport

23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.pngItalySky Italia

23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.pngLatviaLTV

23px-Flag_of_Luxembourg.svg.pngLuxembourgRTL Group

23px-Flag_of_Moldova.svg.pngMoldovaMoldova Sport TV

23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.pngPortugalSport TV

23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.pngRomaniaDigiSport

23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.pngSlovakiaDigiSport

23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.pngSloveniaRTV Slovenija

23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.pngSpainRTVE

16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.pngSwitzerlandSport1

23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.pngTurkeyNTV Spor

Right, so basically in most Western European nations (and even Turkey), none of the major channels really care about the European Games...like, you know, at all!

Oh I'm sure the Opening Ceremony will be amazing! Isn't it the same guy who did the OC for Athens 2004 who is doing this one?? Athens 2004 was my favourite OC of all time, I can't wait to watch this one (I even considered going there just for that, as the cheapest ticket for the OC is like 20€, but the flights there, nope)!

Oh I'm sure the Opening Ceremony will be amazing! Isn't it the same guy who did the OC for Athens 2004 who is doing this one?? Athens 2004 was my favourite OC of all time, I can't wait to watch this one (I even considered going there just for that, as the cheapest ticket for the OC is like 20€, but the flights there, nope)!

Is he? I can't wait then! Athens' OC was amazing!

• Like 1

"All media criticism banned at the Baku Euro Games, says Azerbaijan Ministry."

http://keirradnedge.com/2015/04/12/all-media-criticism-banned-during-european-games-says-azerbaijan-ministry/

It is hard to know this means in practical terms. It could mean anything from "we will expel you if you are actively protesting against the government" to "we will expel you if you criticise the Azerbaijani service industry."

http://keirradnedge.com/2015/04/12/all-media-criticism-banned-during-european-games-says-azerbaijan-ministry/

It is hard to know this means in practical terms. It could mean anything from "we will expel you if you are actively protesting against the government" to "we will expel you if you criticise the Azerbaijani service industry."

LOL. Now there's a surprise...

Ah well, Berlin 1936 all over again!

• Like 1

Sad that the inaugural edition of these games will be held onto such an uptight dictatorship by poor insecure people who are afraid of a little criticism and throw tantrums like the little babies they are. This is Eurovision 2012 all over again.

• Like 1

Agreed. The first European Games should have been held in a Western country, a bit more democratic, a bit more like what people of the World think of Europe. But all those major cities/countires are focused on the Summer or Winter Olympic Games, so...

Those Games remind me of Sotchi somehow... Ahahah

I wonder which city will host the European Games in 2019? 4 years to go, and yet no official annoucement...

Let's face it: This inaugural edition only takes place because Azerbaijan was willing to bankroll it for the EOCs, as a further stepping stone for an eventual Baku Olympics. There's a reason why for decades noone in (Western) Europe bothered to initiate a continental Games, and behind all the Azeri PR, for many of those sports (where no Rio qualification places are available) only second or third-rate levels of competition are expected anyway. And the number and importance of TV stations so far signing up was already discussed in this thread.

This is the Potemkin Village of multi-sports events.

• Like 1

Let's face it: This inaugural edition only takes place because Azerbaijan was willing to bankroll it for the EOCs, as a further stepping stone for an eventual Baku Olympics. There's a reason why for decades noone in (Western) Europe bothered to initiate a continental Games, and behind all the Azeri PR, for many of those sports (where no Rio qualification places are available) only second or third-rate levels of competition are expected anyway. And the number and importance of TV stations so far signing up was already discussed in this thread.

This is the Potemkin Village of multi-sports events.

They should have just located the Games in Athens: It would have been a meaningful gesture in times of economic crisis - plus, it would have put those Olympic venues to good use and also contributed to some cross-cultural understanding within Europe.

If the Eurovision hosting is any indication, this is just gonna be yet another photo-op for the Azeri dictatorship and its coterie.

Yes, those Games are not Olympic Games, and they are the First European Games. I bet very few people have heard of it. I only heard of it for the first time few months ago. So, 6000 is quite alright, no need for a 15000 or more Aquatic Center.

Also, the torch for the relay has been unveiled yesterday:

bakou-2015-torche-des-jeux-europc3a9ens.

Great, another faux Olympic torch relay- just what the world needs.

The Queens baton gets a lot of jokes pointed at its direction, it's hardly the most exciting or thrilling part of a Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. Gotta say though, at least it is unique and they have made their own history with it.

• Like 1

More info about the torch here: http://www.baku2015.com/press-release/article/baku-2015-announces-journey-the-flame-route-and-reveals-torch-design.html

As for the torch...Well, the Pan Ams and Asiad have a torch, so why not the European Games? I know it has been done to death but I'm honestly ok with this. Besides, since Azerbaijan self proclaims itself the "Land of Fire" and the fire thing plays a big role on their culture, this is fitting.

The torch is ok. Seen better but its better than the horrid Toronto one at least. It reminds me a lot of the Busan 2002 one though.

34894_12-MD-SD.jpg

Torch-Busan-2002_51828002582.jpg

By the way, these are the ruins where the totally not Olympia Ritual expy will take place. An ancient temple known as Ateshgah which belonged to the hindis and zoroastrians in ancient times to worship fire. It is an UNESCO World heritage site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ateshgah_of_Baku

Ateshgah_of_Baku_burning.jpg

In other non related news to the torch, Armenia confirmed last month their participation on the European Games and will not let politics get involved again like in the Eurovision (due to the Nagorno-Kabarakh unresolved conflict). I'm glad.