Baku 2015 European Games

I'm surprised at how well Azerbaijan is doing, since they don't factor in much at the Olympics. What I find odd is how well the men's team did in artistic gymnastics, placing 3rd ahead of countries like Germany and Great Britain. Even with their b-team these 2 countries could have easily placed, and could have easily beaten Russia. What's even weirder is there were only 3 events contested in the team event, the floor exercise, the pommel horse and rings. I'm trying to find the names of all the athletes that participated in the team event but so far I can only find those who medaled.

I'm surprised at how well Azerbaijan is doing, since they don't factor in much at the Olympics. What I find odd is how well the men's team did in artistic gymnastics, placing 3rd ahead of countries like Germany and Great Britain. Even with their b-team these 2 countries could have easily placed, and could have easily beaten Russia. What's even weirder is there were only 3 events contested in the team event, the floor exercise, the pommel horse and rings. I'm trying to find the names of all the athletes that participated in the team event but so far I can only find those who medaled.

Azerbaijan improves every time in SOG both in a number of athletes represented and medals won. For example, in the SOG 2012 Azerbaijan was represented by 53 athletes and it ended up 30th (among 205 nations) with 2-2-6 result. Further, in the SYOG 2014 Azerbaijan was represented by 21 athelets and ended up 10th (among 201 nations) with 5-6-1 result.

I am sure the results at the EG 2015 will help us to send a more impressive team to Rio :)

• Like 1

Azerbaijan improves every time in SOG both in a number of athletes represented and medals won. For example, in the SOG 2012 Azerbaijan was represented by 53 athletes and it ended up 30th (among 205 nations) with 2-2-6 result. Further, in the SYOG 2014 Azerbaijan was represented by 21 athelets and ended up 10th (among 201 nations) with 5-6-1 result.

I am sure the results at the EG 2015 will help us to send a more impressive team to Rio :)

You also buy athletes, so that helps too.

• Like 2

IIRC, not a single of their Sochi athletes was native Azeri.

Also, it was probably political desire for Azerbaijan to field the strongest possible team, while many other countries especially in the events without Rio qualification only send B or youth teams.

I think it is nice that there are spectators, and more than I expected. Danish TV2 Sport, has live sending 8-12 hours each day, of course with focus on the Danish athletes, and I´am very happy with it. But it seems like we only have ONE reporter in Baku, to make interviews, and then all commentary from studio in Denmark. But a much better coverage of the European Games, when i feared much less. And I really think if it was in a western European country it would also have attracted turist and more interest. But how would the interest then be in Eastern Europe for the games. I think it is hard to make something that attracts both East and West. So Again i really hope 2019 will be in a more western city/country.

How is the coverage in other countries in Europe?

Sport1 is having daily live coverage, but I assume ratings are minimal here in Germany. In papers, I've seen high profile articles about the politics behind the event, but not much detailed reporting on actual sports.

I myself haven't watched a single minute of coverage yet.

Well, consider how well Cuba does in both the Pan-American Games and the Olympics. (It has the fifth most Olympic medals of any country that has never hosted: 50% more than Spain and almost twice as many as Brazil.) Small countries that pour money into their sports programs can do well. I am sure Azerbaijan has put a lot of resources into training its athletes for these games.

Also, the specific sports included probably helps, since many of the sports Azerbaijan does poorly in are not represented or are present in limited form while there lots of combat sports and judge-dependent sports that frequently favor the home nation.

I'm enjoying these Games very much. They're a scaled-down Olympics, but the event as a whole is not as small as I had thought. Unfortunately, live coverage in Spanish TV is not much more than some gymnastics events in the early morning. There are daily highlights and RTVE has 4 live channels on its website though, so I'm not really missing that much.

Other European nations are represented by locals only? :) Hm I not sure about that.

Azerbaijan won most of its medals in the sports it is usually doing well. Most of our athletes are from Azerbaijan and fewer are naturalised. Today we won three gold medals and all three are from Azerbaijani athletes and in Olympic sports. Btw Togrul Askerov who won golden medal in London 2012. He is also from Ganja city I am coming from :)

StefanMUC, haters gonna hate ;) whatever happens...

Other European nations are represented by locals only? :) Hm I not sure about that.

Azerbaijan won most of its medals in the sports it is usually doing well. Most of our athletes are from Azerbaijan and fewer are naturalised. Today we won three gold medals and all three are from Azerbaijani athletes and in Olympic sports. Btw Togrul Askerov who won golden medal in London 2012. He is also from Ganja city I am coming from :)

And brainwashed propaganda followers also stay on.

• Like 1

Really hope all those journalists who slag off the BBC every time they send a couple of hundred staff to the Olympics are watching these Euro Games - or perhaps not watching is the right expression.

BT Sport have gone to pretty much zero effort, simply broadcasting the host feeds with no presenters, commentators or interviewers of their own. There is the odd pre-packaged interview to fill a bit of time, but barely anything. And thanks to the way BT is distributed for me it's easier just to call up the Youtube channel for the live coverage - I've watched a bit here and there, but with little coverage in the media at all it's actually quite difficult to curate your own viewing to catch the moments you want to catch.

Also after being able to watch practically every event live at London 2012 and Glasgow 2014 the coverage of Baku seems quite limited. There never seems to be more than 4 live feeds coming out of Baku (and quite often 1 or 2 of them are "replays"), while surprisingly there doesn't seem to have been any coverage at all of the first rounds of the Boxing (live or pre-recorded), which is quite surprising considering Taekwondo and Karate has been covered in full and I'd have thought with all the focus being on one ring boxing it would be relatively easy to cover, plus I'm sure it's quite popular in that part of the world too.

Best photos of the day

Tuesday 16 June

43126_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Adela Hanzlickova of the Czech Republic (red) and Henna Johansson of Sweden (blue) compete in the Women's Freestyle Wrestling 63kg quarter finals during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at Heydar Aliyev Arena on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images for BEGOC)

43741_8-LG-HD.jpg

Russia's Arsenii Egorov motivating his teammates at the Water Polo Arena. Matthias Hangst/Getty Images

43679_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Tom Strobach (14), Michael Andrei (18) and Jochen Schops (10) of Germany celebrate during the Men's Volleyball Group B match between Germany and Slovakia at Crystal Hall on day four of the Baku 2015 European Games on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images)

42884_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Arman Irgaliev of Russia (blue) and Georgios Simitsis of Greece (red) compete in the Men's Taekwondo -58kg premlinary round during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at Crystal Hall on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images for BEGOC)

42960_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Yelyzaveta Yakhno of Ukraine competes in the Synchronised Swimming Solo Final during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Baku Aquatics Centre on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images for BEGOC)

43793_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Italy compete in the Synchronised Swimming Teams Free Routine final during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Baku Aquatics Centre on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Francois Nel/Getty Images for BEGOC)

43565_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Sergey Richter of Israel celebrates winning the bronze in the Men's 10m Air Rifle during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at Baku Shooting Centre on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images for BEGOC)

43592_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Elena Tkach of Russia competes in the Women's Trap Shooting during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at Baku Shooting Centre on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images for BEGOC)

43507_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Benedek Ruzicic and Milica Starovic of Serbia lead the field to win in the Kayak Double (K2) 500m Women during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at Mingachevir on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Robert Prezioso/Getty Images for BEGOC)

43508_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Aleksandr Sergeev, Vasily Pogreban, Anton Ryakhov and Vladislav Blintcov of Russia win Silver in the Kayak Four (K4) 1000m Men during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at Mingachevir on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Robert Prezioso/Getty Images for BEGOC)

43350_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 16: Christian Weiss of Germany competes in the Men's Individual Ranking Round during day four of the Baku 2015 European Games at Tofiq Bahramov Stadium on June 16, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Harry Engels/Getty Images for BEGOC)

Wrestling

Wednesday 17 June

44904_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: (L-R) Silver medalist Elizbar Odikadze of Georgia, bronze medalist Abdulsalam Gadisov of Russia, gold medalist Khetag Gazyumov of Azerbaijan and bronze medalist Valerii Andriitsev of Ukraine pose on the podium during the medal ceremony for the Men's Freestyle Wrestling 97kg on day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Heydar Aliyev Arena on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44562_8-LG-HD.jpg

44681_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Sezar Akgul of Turkey celebrates victory in the Men's Wrestling 57kg Freestyle bronze final against Yashar Aliyev of Azerbaijan during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Heydar Aliyev Arena on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44793_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Togrul Asgarov of Azerbaijan (blue) celebrates victory overFrank Chamizo Marquez of Italy in the Men's Freestyle 65kg Final during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Heydar Aliyev Arena on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44869_8-LG-HD.jpg

44875_8-LG-HD.jpg

Taekwondo

Wednesday 17 June

44471_8-LG-HD.jpg

44474_8-LG-HD.jpg

44467_8-LG-HD.jpg

Volleyball

Wednesday 17 June

44683_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: The Azerbaijan team celebrate after winning the Women's Volleyball Group A match between Italy during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Crystal Hall on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44684_8-LG-HD.jpg

44216_8-LG-HD.jpg

44212_8-LG-HD.jpg

44504_8-LG-HD.jpg

The reason being Az*erbaijan knows its rather bad in most sports and resortsto buying athletes.

Best photos of the day

Wednesday 17 June

44924_8-LG-HD.jpg

Jade Jones of Great Britain celebrates winning gold against Ana Zaninovic of Croatia. Harry Engels/Getty Images

44059_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Team Russian Federation compete in the Gymnastics Rhythmic Group All-Round Final during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the National Gymnastics Arena on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Robert Prezioso/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44940_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Aykhan Taghizade of Azerbaijan celebrates winning gold against Karol Robak of Poland during the Men's Taekwondo -68kg gold final on day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Crystal Hall on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Harry Engels/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44497_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Team Israel win Silver, Team Russian Federation win Gold and Team Belarus win Bronze in the Gymnastics Rhythmic Group All-Round Final during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the National Gymnastics Arena on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Robert Prezioso/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44869_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Gold medalist Togrul Asgarov of Azerbaijan stands on the podium during the medal ceremony for the Men's Freestyle 65kg Final on day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Heydar Aliyev Arena on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44298_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Amy Oliver of Great Britain competes in the Women's Archery Team and Individual ranking round during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Tofiq Bahramov Stadium on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44305_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Robert Kufa and Jan Dumek of the Czech Republic (white) in action agaisnt Iaroslav Rudykh and Neilton Santos of Azerbaijan (blue) during the Beach Volleyball Group H match between Azerbaijan and the Czech Republic during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Beach Arena on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44773_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: (L-R) Silver medalists Khatuna Narimandize and Lasha Pkhakadze of Georgia, gold medalists Natalia Valeeva and Mauro Nespoli of Italy and bronze medalists Lidiia Sichenikova and Heorhiy Ivanytskyy of Ukraine pose during the medal ceremony for the Mixed Team Archery competition during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Tofiq Bahramov Stadium on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44683_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: The Azerbaijan team celebrate after winning the Women's Volleyball Group A match between Italy during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Crystal Hall on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44662_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: A general view of the range in the Women's 10m Air Pistol during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Baku Shooting Centre on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images for BEGOC)

44543_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 17: Jennifer Bailey, Cicely Irwin and Josephine Sandovich of Great Britain compete in the Gymnastics Acrobatic Women's Group Dynamic Qualification during day five of the Baku 2015 European Games at the National Gymnastics Arena on June 17, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images for BEGOC)

Best photos of the day

Thursday 18 June

45194_8-LG-HD.jpg

Alena Amialiusik of Belarus competes in the women's individual time trial at Bilgah Beach. Jamie Squire/Getty Images

45851_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 18: Johann Eduardo Orozco Ojeda of Spain (blue) reacts as Daniel Niculescu of Romania is awarded victory after the Men's Light Welter 64kg bout on day six of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Crystal Hall on June 18, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images for BEGOC)

45946_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 18: (L-R) Silver medalist Magomedmurad Gadzhiev of Poland, gold medalist Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov of Russia and bronze medalists Ruslan Dibirgadzhiyev of Azerbaijan and Yakup Gor of Turkey stand on the podium during the medal ceremony for the Men's Wrestling 70kg freestyle on day six of the Baku 2015 European Games at the Heydar Aliyev Arena on June 18, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Harry Engels/Getty Images for BEGOC)

45973_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 18: (L-) Silver medalist Oleg Stepko of Azerbaijan, gold medalist Oleg Verniaiev of Ukraine and Bronze medalist Nikita Ignatyev of Russia pose with the medals won in the Artistic Gymnastics Men's Individual All Round Final during day six of the Baku 2015 European Games at National Gymnastics Arena on June 18, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images for BEGOC)

45975_8-LG-HD.jpg

BAKU, AZERBAIJAN - JUNE 18: (L-R) Bronze medalist Lieke Wevers of Netherlands, gold medalist Aliya Mustafina of Russia and Silver medalist Giulia Steingruber of Switzerland pose with the medals won in the Women's Individual All-Around final on day six of the Baku 2015 European Games at National Gymnastics Arena on June 18, 2015 in Baku, Azerbaijan. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images for BEGOC)

45167_8-LG-HD.jpg

Francois Nel/Getty Images

Maybe i'm the wrong impression but most events is with the venues is empty? I was watching the beach volleyball, archery and even the marathon and I saw very few people in the stands or during the course watching the competitions.

It depends on the sports. Swimming, wrestling, shooting, boxing, volleyball and especially gymnastics attracts a lot of attention and the venues are pretty full.

Archery is held on the Tofik Babhramov stadium with 32K capacity and beach volleyball is held on one of the arenas in EG Park. The issue with attendance of those two is as follows: one has an extremely large capacity for an archery tournament and the second one is only partly covered so it is very hot to watch the games in a sunny weather. It is +32 in Baku :)

• Like 1

I was actually surprised that there are pretty many at some events. But disapointed at other. Especially the outdoor sports outside venues. Triathlon, cycling for example. Not much people along the roads, if any at all. I think, there must be people somewhere in the city? Or is the city allways inside... it seems like a ghostcity with a lot of beutifull Buildings, but no people