Baku 2015 European Games

Quite cool though, the pomegranate seeds float into the air. But yes, reminiscent of the floating sculpture in Athens. That's it for the cultural programme?

Why Greece comes in first? Is the European Games has anything to do with the Olympics? Are they under IOC?

They are under the EOC, the European Olympic Committees.

Armenia entering not awkward at all.

Did the audience boo? Sadly, sports channel Sport 1 which is broadcasting the European Games here in Germany has cut away to a looooooong commercial break soon after the parade started.

• Like 1

I can't judge it - Sport 1 has cut to yet another commercial break, just a few minutes after the last one. :angry: This isn't America, folks!

I'm watching it live on Youtube, using the link that was posted a few posts backs. No commercial on there.

I must say that despite the recycling of some elements, this ceremony has quite an Olympic feel. Now I'm curious whether the Games themselves can keep that level, too. But Azerbaijan seems to pull all the stops here. Maybe that's good for a change, even if Azerbaijan is an autocratic country longing for prestige and attention, but it could bring the European Games on track right from the start, as opposed to a lukewarm and cheapish "Oh, well, yet another edition of multisports events - again" event.

I must say that despite the recycling of some elements, this ceremony has quite an Olympic feel. Now I'm curious whether the Games themselves can keep that level, too. But Azerbaijan seems to pull all the stops here. Maybe that's good for a change, even if Azerbaijan is an autocratic country longing for prestige and attention, but it could bring the European Games on track right from the start, as opposed to a lukewarm and cheapish "Oh, well, yet another edition of multisports events - again" event.

It does feel like an Olympic Games. Unlike Commonwealth Games, they always feel sub-par to the real thing.