Baku 2015 European Games

FIBA is pushing 3x3 basketball because they think it will provide opportunities for countries that have athletes that struggle with standard basketball. Countries that love basketball but whose athletes are too short to be competitive (the Philippines,) countries that are too small to be able to field a competitive standard team (like Qatar) and countries without much history in the sport. Azerbaijan probably falls into the last category, so 3x3 should work well for both the hosts and the federation.

For the European Games it would likely be a struggle to get full size teams involved. Europe is great at basketball, but the best players are not going to compete. I am not certain, but the chance of injury is also probably lower on a half court.

And, if I am allowed to be frank, it is also a godsend for the women's game where outside shooting is often shockingly poor. I have a female cousin who now plays professionally in Europe, and in every single one of her collegiate games that I watched both teams had more turnovers than baskets made. (It's the equivalent of watching a football/soccer match with both teams having no shots on goal.) Since division 2 college games are probably the same or even a bit better than the quality than the European games will offer, a more open format of play will be better for the spectators.

Edited by Nacre

I find this event perplexing .

Doesn't anybody else think that if a European Games of this scale was viable, they would be up and running already? I think if it had commenced in the 50s it may have had a similar viability today like the Asian Games, but kick starting it in Central Asia isn't a way to get Europe itself to embrace it. I think it speaks for itself that Azerbaijan got this off its feet.

Why we're all being charmed by the glitz and glamour of the Baku venues, this is what many of the Azeri citizens are living through now. Once again, everything is just a facade.

Families living in poverty in the shadow of Azerbaijan's luxury sports stadiums

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/20/azerbaijan-european-games-shadow-poverty

As authorities invest heavily in hosting European Games, residents ask who will benefit from the event.

proxy.jpg?t=HBiDAWh0dHA6Ly9zdGF0aWMuZ3Vp

33dc631b-b45a-45a9-9371-7b301ae10c5a-620a6775be7-376e-4c29-bb18-2d2f4f16afc0-620

Fucking circus. I'm so done with these events lately, to be honest. I'm glad they didn't picked Russia for 2019

Wow..... I do hope in the future they select hosts that have ready built venues that they can use/renovate instead of building new ones... That is sad..

I find this event perplexing .

Doesn't anybody else think that if a European Games of this scale was viable, they would be up and running already? I think if it had commenced in the 50s it may have had a similar viability today like the Asian Games, but kick starting it in Central Asia isn't a way to get Europe itself to embrace it. I think it speaks for itself that Azerbaijan got this off its feet.

Is Azerbaijan located in Central Asia? Then I wonder what is the western and northern Asia :rolleyes:

Why we're all being charmed by the glitz and glamour of the Baku venues, this is what many of the Azeri citizens are living through now. Once again, everything is just a facade.

Families living in poverty in the shadow of Azerbaijan's luxury sports stadiums

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/20/azerbaijan-european-games-shadow-poverty

As authorities invest heavily in hosting European Games, residents ask who will benefit from the event.

Of course there are poor people in Azerbaijan. I think nobody was trying to deny and even argue this fact. On the other hand, the housing shown in the article is illegal and built as some kind of slums which sooner or later must be demolished.

Btw once the area of the Olympic stadium and nearby territories was full of those illegal slums and the lake Boyukshor was one of the dirtiest in the country. Those people got compensation 1500 AZN per sq m (back then 1 AZN was 1 EUR). Today the area is beauty:

d5d623fb25c1.jpg
e41651536726.jpg
23d709d1dbbd.jpg
be2c0c1894b4.jpg
9d149f6415c9.jpg
21f64f122e05.jpg
0351e454e43f.jpg
b630a60059db.jpg
5fd867c1e3d2.jpg

And here is the territory where Aquatics Center is located. Once it was one of the poorest and dirtiest parts of Baku with barely any infrastructure. Nowadays it has transformed into one of the fastest developing parts of the cities with some infrastructure, park, sport and housing projects. Once again whoever lost their houses got 1500 AZN per sq m compensation. Taking into account that many of those houses were illegal with no basic infrastructure, that amount is pretty much:

0cc8eb9d9632.jpg

Here are some of the photos taken a month ago:

0b90eab176e7.jpg
1273caea5704.jpg
fe293f125ef4.jpg
1_qR27NRPWI.jpg
xIPs4kbU6YY.jpg
faff812c60da.jpg

ca4ea2d1e4b4.jpg
cb9b28591203.jpg
b294bfe6cdf6.jpg

West? Ankara. Or if you want to be picky... far eastern Russia

North? Siberia.

Asia is huge and only one single country Turkey you consider Western Asia? :wacko:

Siberia is nowhere close to Azerbaijan :ph34r: In the north Azerbaijan is bordering with geographical European part of Russia. In fact, Azerbaijan itself is divided into European and Asian parts by Caucasus watershed.

Calling Azerbaijan Central Asia is once again nonsense. It would be the same if let's say someone would call Spain Northern Africa. The most western point of so-called Central Asia is located in some 300 km away from Azerbaijan, on the other shore of Caspian sea.

I see some people have no idea how Baku looks and what is Baku at all. Baku is a historical bridge between East and West, a great mixture of oriental and european cultures is visible in everything from architecture to a daily life of people:

22a2adaed153.jpg
b4602d99554d.jpg
8c4e01401ad3.jpg
1d07adb7c435.jpg
cde81d7d563c.jpg
bc16c426f5c7.jpg
Saying that we have to admit that Baku is also changing and transforming into a modern city:
823063257b80.jpg
a353cc49250b.jpg

I agree that it is in Western Asia (Anatolia, the Levant, Arabia and the Caucasus), rather than Central Asia. But Azerbaijan is still an Asian country geographically and again mostly Asian socially. (religion, politics, etc) It is certainly also influenced by European civilization as well, but so is Australia and no one would say Australia is in Europe. From the perspective of traditional Europe it would have been preferable for Lisbon, Stockholm or Vienna to host the first European Games.

I'm sure Baku will do a good job, though. You can even spin it the other way and say that while Azerbaijan is politically very different from the countries of the European Union, more connections with Europe will help democratize and liberalize the country. And the Netherlands will host the next games, so that will help establish the games in Europe proper.

Edited by Nacre

And here is the territory where Aquatics Center is located. Once it was one of the poorest and dirtiest parts of Baku with barely any infrastructure. Nowadays it has transformed into one of the fastest developing parts of the cities with some infrastructure, park, sport and housing projects. Once again whoever lost their houses got 1500 AZN per sq m compensation. Taking into account that many of those houses were illegal with no basic infrastructure, that amount is pretty much:

0cc8eb9d9632.jpg

This city is really impressive. It's great to know that the European Games will have a positive impact on Baku infrastructure. Can you tell me what will happen to the Aquatics Center after the games?

So, the locals struggle to get food, shelter, clothes, etc. But at least they can go to a stadium and forget about their problems while watching other people swim. Or at least they could. If they could afford tickets. Which they can't.

That's an issue with any event any country in the world could host, though. There were demonstrations on that issue in Vancouver for the 2010 winter games, and Vancouver is one of the most liveable and democratic cities in the world with a high standard of living and abundant social welfare programs.

I don't have a problem with Baku using its oil wealth on urban development. That will modernize the country and provide jobs, which will help the poor in the long run.

Edited by Nacre

It's been on many French channel for weeks as well. Let's hope these games are some sort of a success, so that it becomes the regular and popular event that Europe deserves (in better host cities)

This city is really impressive. It's great to know that the European Games will have a positive impact on Baku infrastructure. Can you tell me what will happen to the Aquatics Center after the games?

The Baku Aquatics Center is not a temporary venue. After the games, its sport facilities will be opened for the local athletes and the public.

Now we have reached that point, that I can see how much the Danish TV-channel TV2-Sport will transmit from European Games. And I must say, I am positive surprised! They are sending live 8-12 hours every day the first couple of days I can see at this moment, from many different sports. So I am very positively surprised. How does it look in yours countries?

And I have asked before, but I will try again. What about ticketing sales, how does that goes?

Universal Sports here in the USA carries the American broadcast rights to the first 2015 European Games in Baku promising daily coverage including both ceremonies and online coverage with the rights also extending to Canada.

http://www.si.com/2015/02/20/ap-european-games-us-tv

http://www.baku2015.com/press-release/article/baku-2015-european-games-signs-broadcast-agreement-with-sports-cable-network-28607.html

Seven Network really shoring up these multisports events on TV like the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Paralympics, and now the European Games added down in Australia to go along Aussie rules football, Australian Open, Fed Cup, Melbourne Cup, top Australian golf, The Masters, Shute Shield, and the NFL:

http://www.baku2015.com/press-release/article/baku-2015-european-games-signs-broadcast-agreement-with-sports-cable-network-28607.html

RTVE has the broadcasting rights in Spain. They said some months ago they would air the ceremonies live and the highlights of each day but I haven't found anything else. I don't know how many hours of live coverage there will be. Taking into account that the FIFA Women's World Cup, the EuroBasket Women and the Women's Hockey World League Semifinal (if aired) are all on the same dates as the European Games, I don't expect much. I hope to be wrong.