Baku 2015 European Games

To be honest I doubt Baku will ever host the OG <_< It is not realistic :(

The Rio has always been rejected and was the bid never realistic too, until the city hosted the Pan American Games in 2007. I think the problem is not in the city itself, but the distrust of the IOC to understand the ability of the city.

They didn't got a very good score for the 2020 race if I remember right. I think they still have a long way to go, but the European Games could help raise their reputation and trust to host the OG. I still see this happening in the distant future, though.

They didn't got a very good score for the 2020 race if I remember right. I think they still have a long way to go, but the European Games could help raise their reputation and trust to host the OG. I still see this happening in the distant future, though.

Rio had 2 bad scores in your old bids, and the worse score in the bid to 2016 and was choiced. I have sure the next bids of Baku will be better.

Rio had 2 bad scores in your old bids, and the worse score in the bid to 2016 and was choiced. I have sure the next bids of Baku will be better.

Brazil becomes the first host in South America... which is the main selling point RIO used to win over the IOC. What will Baku's story be? For a country of 9 million the SOG are unrealistic at best.

Brazil becomes the first host in South America... which is the main selling point RIO used to win over the IOC. What will Baku's story be? For a country of 9 million the SOG are unrealistic at best.

This was a strong point in the bid of Rio. Anyway we tryied be the first in South American in 2012 and 2004 too.

If Azerbaijan is só insignificant why they was choice to the first european games?

This was a strong point in the bid of Rio. Anyway we tryied be the first in South American in 2012 and 2004 too.

If Azerbaijan is só insignificant why they was choice to the first european games?

Because they have oil money and paid for hosting. There was no bidding process or even public announcement by European NOCs that there is a plan for continental Games. They had a meeting in Baku and the rabbit came out of the hat.

Because they have oil money and paid for hosting. There was no bidding process or even public announcement by European NOCs that there is a plan for continental Games. They had a meeting in Baku and the rabbit came out of the hat.

Not exactly. Baku was chosen to host of the first EG at the 41st EOC General Assembly in Rome on 8 December 2012.

Heydar Aliyev Sport and Concert Hall after reconstruction:

742ea7c270e0.jpg

f6a1522e084f.jpg

070c4ea03ef3.jpg

Baku Sport Hall after reconstruction:

5dd749a3654e.jpg

828f7108bd9d.jpg

503769e09474.jpg

Uh, Greeece has a bit more population than that and yet they still managed to host the games. The population argument is kinda invalid here.

I think the biggest issue of Azerbaijan is that they need to become more prominent and recognized on sports itself, not only by hosting events. I would say their other issue is that they have a dictatorship but we all know by this point the IOC doesn't cares for democracy.

Uh, Greeece has a bit more population than that and yet they still managed to host the games. The population argument is kinda invalid here.

I think the biggest issue of Azerbaijan is that they need to become more prominent and recognized on sports itself, not only by hosting events. I would say their other issue is that they have a dictatorship but we all know by this point the IOC doesn't cares for democracy.

Greece barely got over the finishing line in 2004, and its legacy since is hardly idea. Not the best comparison.

• Like 1

To be fair, Greece is the home to both the Ancient Olympics and the first-ever Summer Olympics of the modern era - Greeks played a prominent role in the creation of the Olympic Movement, even though much of the attention is focused on Pierre de Coubertin. Greek athletes have delivered a medal haul placing the country at #33 in the all-time medals table. Azerbaijan doesn't come close to that.

Just because the IOC hasn't cared about democracy in the case of China and Russia (two world powers who are difficult to ignore in terms of population, territorial size and, most importantly, economic potential) doesn't mean it ought to acquiesce or even countenance a future Olympic bid from Baku. Nothing against the Azeri people, but they are oppressed by a brutal dictatorship that has so far been protected by the world's lack of interest in the country. Essentially, they are the Qatar of post-Soviet states, going around buying events like Eurovision or the European Games to garner much-needed respectability in the eyes of foreign investors.

It's kinda sad that the first continental games in Europe will not just be a third-rate event in terms of athlete participation, television coverage, commercial impact and public relations, but that they will essentially devolve into a propaganda event for the "dear Leader" in Azerbaijan.

Greece barely got over the finishing line in 2004, and its legacy since is hardly idea. Not the best comparison.

Well, the economic crisis didn't exactly help there...

Just because the IOC hasn't cared about democracy in the case of China and Russia (two world powers who are difficult to ignore in terms of population, territorial size and, most importantly, economic potential) doesn't mean it ought to acquiesce or even countenance a future Olympic bid from Baku.

Exactly. I always snicker when some make the simplistic argument that the IOC has taken a blind eye to democracy when it comes to Russia & China. So why not to for these smaller, insignificant nations as well. But there's no comparison whatsoever.

For 2004, "the Games finally coming home" was the main theme. For 2012, it was a European mega-battle, with four of it's top continental capitals on the roster (not to mention New York City). And Rio had also yet to host the 2007 Pan Ams (which proved their capability to the IOC). So Rio, comparably so, was hardly on the radar those two times. It's all relative.

For 2004, "the Games finally coming home" was the main theme. For 2012, it was a European mega-battle, with four of it's top continental capitals on the roster (not to mention New York City). And Rio had also yet to host the 2007 Pan Ams (which proved their capability to the IOC). So Rio, comparably so, was hardly on the radar those two times. It's all relative.

That's what I'm trying to say. That pan American Games proved that Rio has the capacity to host major events, maybe this (the european games) will be a good point like the PanAm in a future bid to Baku host the olympics?

No, you're confusing the context here. Indianpolis, Winnepeg, Cali, Havana, San Juan & Santo Domingo have all hosted the Pan Ams, too. But you're not seeing any of those being catapulted to the front of the line for an Olympics bcuz of it, do you?

Rio benefitted from the Pan Ams bcuz it also had the *narrative* to go along with it (ie, the first Games in South America). Baku does not. How many "European" Olympics have we seen since the modern Olympics was founded? Plenty. And that's the major difference here (not to mention the other intangibles that have been pointed out already, that makes Baku not that realistic).

Baku is being referred to this way bcuz of the "European" Games, & some here trying to make the parallel between them & Rio with the Pan Ams. But most of us know that Azerbaijan is technically not in Europe.

If anyone wants to make the comparison to Rio in that part of the world, it should be with Istanbul, not Baku. Turkey is a country of over 77 million. Istanbul is an exotic metropolis that has also tried multiple times & came the closet this last time around by being runner up. That's a more appropriate & compelling comparison.

FIRST: I'm really ignorant about Azerbaijan and Baku. I just know this city because the failed bid to Olympics in 2016. So i cant compare both cities.
SECOND: In my ignorante mind the Europe is the paradise, well, is the Europe, is not that the best continent in world?If this city is in Europe, ("the best place in World")is hosting the games of the continent why this city cant host then olympics?
THIRD: And the only reason to Rio host the PanAm games in 2007 was a attempt to try proved and host the Olympics in future. The brazilian bids to olympia was rejected in 2000 (Brasilia) and 2004 and 2012 (Rio). I have sure the PanAm was a great factor to prove Rio and Brazil can host huge events.

"The project to introduce the Rio de Janeiro as a candidate city to host the XV Pan American Games was first developed in the late 1990. In December 1999, the Brazilian Olympic Committee decided not to bid for the Summer Olympics 2008 and return attention to the pan. in 2001, the COB hired the Getúlio Vargas Foundation to make an organizational feasibility study, which would be the basis the candidature" Source.

In my ignorante mind the Europe is the paradise, well, is the Europe, is not that the best continent in world?If this city is in Europe, ("the best place in World")is hosting the games of the continent why this city cant host then olympics?

Bcuz Baku isn't really in Europe, like many in this thread have already pointed out. It's technically in Asia. Baku won the rights to host the "European" Games by default bcuz no actual European city bid for them.

Azerbaijan is a nation of only nine million located in Asia Minor. Therefore, nothing really compelling there for the IOC to make the effort.

Again, if you wanna make a comparison to Rio in that part of the world, look at Istanbul, located in Turkey. A country of over 77 million people that have already tried multiple times & came the closest for 2020, their last attempt.

• Like 2