Baku 2015 European Games

Baku 2015 European Games unveils colourful new brand look

The Baku 2015 European Games today unveils a new look that proudly combines Azerbaijan’s history, heritage and culture with elite European sport.

Inspired by the natural beauty of Baku, the colourful and striking new images will feature on venues, tickets, uniforms and all official merchandising of the inaugural European Games.

Central to the new brand is the pomegranate tree, which symbolises unity in Azerbaijani folklore. Interwoven with the branches of the tree are historical symbols of the country’s heritage and culture, along with eye-catching pictograms of the different sports and disciplines.

Mr Simon Clegg, Chief Operating Officer of Baku 2015 European Games Operation Committee (BEGOC), said: “The new brand is a dynamic and fresh new look for Baku 2015 which symbolises our pride in ancient Azerbaijani heritage, the natural beauty of the country and a desire to create an innovative sports event that will be enjoyed by the whole of Europe.

“Over the coming weeks and months, the look will become synonymous with the European Games and provide an immediate visual link to all aspects of our identity here in Azerbaijan.”

The new look has also been used as part of a relaunch of the official Baku 2015 website, which has been updated and refreshed.

Incorporated in the eye-catching new designs are other symbols of Azerbaijani heritage including the colourful stained glass shebeke, the ornamental detail of the buta and references to carpet design and weaving which play a significant part of the country’s proud history.

The tender to create the new look was won by the renowned SomeOne agency, who had previously worked on the sports brands for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Mr Gary Holt, co-founder and Executive Creative Director of SomeOne, said: “Having visited Baku during the immersive phase of the project, we were impressed at just how lush and beautiful the city was.

“This inspired the creation of a living property – the Baku 2015 pomegranate tree. Alive with athletes, Azerbaijani art and the pomegranates themselves, the tree has been designed to be adaptive, celebrating elite sport in the amazing setting of Baku.”

The images will also feature on everything from corporate stationery, medals and the dressing of the host city on billboards and banners in Baku as the countdown to the Games continues.

Charlie Wijeratna, Commercial Director of Baku 2015, said: “We are delighted with the beautiful and intricate designs and pictograms that SomeOne have created to bring the European Games to life.

“They have designed a look which will be effective across all our anticipated uses, from medals to uniforms, and for branding of all shapes and sizes.”

For a closer look at the colourful new Baku 2015 European Games branding, please visit: www.baku2015.com

Photo Gallery

View Full Gallery

I have found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_european_Games

Her it says that the host for 2019 is announced in november. And there is mentioned a number of potentiel bid city. But it doesn´t seem like there is any official candidates at this point? or? I personally hope it comes to a more western country, Amsterdam is a good thing. If the "big" nations in Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Great Britain, and all the Nordic countrys shall take this contest serious in the public regarding fans and support, it needs to be in the western, else the genereal public won´t accept it as a good games. Well that is just my thoughts.

But i still find it werid, if there are no specific candidate at this time.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking Good. I still prefer the older Design of the Baku Olympic Stadium.

Also, looks like there are some blindspots in the Stadium, where the Top Tier along the Sidelines are next to the Top Tier behind the Goals.

I really like this stadium, it has nice simple design, yet practical. Baku seems to becoming the Dubai of Eastern Europe :)

Any news on Opening Ceremony? I am expecting a spectacular show :)

They are working on that and keeping it all in secrett. I don't expect them to disclose any plans now when there are still many months left until the opening ceremony.

• 2 weeks later...
Baku 2015 European Games appoints artistic director for opening ceremony

Baku, Azerbaijan, Oct. 3

Baku 2015 European Games announced today that Dimitris Papaioannou has been appointed as the Artistic Director of the Opening Ceremony and US production company, FiveCurrents, has been contracted to produce the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, Baku 2015 European Games Operations Committee (BEGOC) said.

Mr Papaioannou – a renowned artist, choreographer, performer and visionary – is highly regarded for his spectacular work as artistic director of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games ceremonies.

The Baku 2015 Opening Ceremony will celebrate Azerbaijani culture and will reflect the host city’s role in modern Europe, as well as honouring the athletes that will be competing.

Mr Papaioannou received the Golden Cross of the Order of Honour from the President of Greece for outstanding artistic achievement following his work at the Athens 2004 Olympic Games.

Since then, he has created several ground-breaking shows that have been performed all over the world to a combined audience of hundreds of thousands.

“My appointment to create the Baku 2015 Opening Ceremony is both an honour and a challenge,” Mr Papaioannou said. “My aim is to tell a universal human story using elemental Azerbaijani ingredients in a way that is contemporary, inventive and playful, but always respectful of the culture's enormous richness and depth.”

Leading production company, FiveCurrents, led by Mr Scott Givens and Mr Mark Poncher, have been appointed to produce the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Baku 2015 European Games.

FiveCurrents produced the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Ceremonies and other credits include the Rio 2007 and Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games’ Ceremonies, the 15th Anniversary of Cinco de Mayo and the Reveillon Copacabana New Year’s Celebration for Rio de Janeiro.

“We are thrilled and honoured to be producing the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Baku 2015 European Games,” Mr Givens, President and Executive Producer of FiveCurrents, said. “We look forward to working with preeminent creative talent like Dimitris Papaioannou to showcase Baku on the world stage and deliver a once-in-a-lifetime celebration of sport and humanity.”

“The Opening and Closing Ceremonies for Baku 2015 European Games are an opportunity to showcase Baku and Azerbaijan to the world,” Mr Azad Rahimov, Baku 2015 Chief Executive Officer and Azerbaijan’s Minister of Youth and Sports, said. “I am confident the team we have in place will help us deliver spectacular events that all of Azerbaijan will be proud of.”

Today, Baku 2015 is also opening the application process for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies volunteer performer programme to cast the 6,000 performers for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

Auditions will begin in November and the Baku 2015 Ceremonies team will recruit people who have passion, enthusiasm, energy and a desire to represent their country to the world.

“We are delighted to welcome Dimitris and Five Currents to the team in Baku,” Ms Catherine Ugwu, Baku 2015 Director of Ceremonies, said. “Dimitris’ artistic vision, combined with FiveCurrents’ production experience, will ensure an Opening Ceremony that is unique and remarkable.”

“The 6,000 volunteer performers will enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime experience of appearing in the largest live shows that Azerbaijan has ever produced.”

The Opening Ceremony will be held in the newly-built National Stadium on Friday 12 June, in front of a capacity crowd of 68,000 people and a worldwide television audience of millions.

http://en.trend.az/azerbaijan/society/2318609.html

I knew Baku was going to spend a lot of money on their ceremonies to open them with style.

In all honestly, i'm happy they hired Papaioanu. Athens might not be the cup of tea of CERTAIN users on this forum and he might be a jerk sometimes, but I thought it was such a creative and powerful ceremony back then which did a different take on how the ceremonies used to be back then, much like Albertville did on it's day. Even though it wasn't perfect, i'm sure he will learn of his previous experience to make something much better for Baku. I'm also glad Scott Givens are helping with the show, after their great job in the Sochi closing and paralymipics ceremonies.

I'm also a bit surprised, since Papaioanu said earlier that he hated the olympics (and the European Games are basically a mini-olympics). I guess he grew a soft spot for them after doing that show in 2004? Or he's just an hypocrite. :P I guess we'll never know.

I'd hope Papaioannou would've learned from his mistakes of 2004 -- especially Givens is there beside him; and Givens has worked with others in the more traditional style. Ha! Otherwise, those Ceremonies are doomed. George Tsypin would've been the better choice.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

^^ If Almaty manages to pull a surprise and win the 2022 games, maybe Tsypin would work again there, since he's kazakh himself? Either way, expect a very ethereal and symbolic ceremony, although like Baron said, not as much as Athens due to Givens working here instead of Jack Morton.

• Like 1

^^ If Almaty manages to pull a surprise and win the 2022 games, maybe Tsypin would work again there, since he's kazakh himself? Either way, expect a very ethereal and symbolic ceremony, although like Baron said, not as much as Athens due to Givens working here instead of Jack Morton.

Sharp catch!! I can suggest this strongly to Tsypin. I have his private email.

I'm very surprised at that. I expected them to go all bombastic - probably using the lot that worked on Astana 2011 & Kazan 2013. It'll still be huge scale - I mean they're not short of money, plus they might fancy their chances at 2024 by default :P