Possible Referendum On Vienna 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

Another thing that has to be questioned about an Austrian bid is where would the sailing venue be? Regardless a second NOC will be needed.

Is there a suitable lake? Budapest proposals in the past I think have proposed a lake regatta.

What was the Lord David plan for sailing?

Is there a suitable lake? Budapest proposals in the past I think have proposed a lake regatta.

What was the Lord David plan for sailing?

Lake Neusiedl which is on the Austria=Hungary border

50km away not bad.

IMO its too small though

Here is Lord David's book

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/285/f/c/Vienna_2020_Bid_Book_by_LordDavid04.pdf

I always thought that Lake Neusiedl would be suitable. Yesterday I read that it is too shallow with a max. depth of just 2 meters. I don't know which depth is required for olympic competitions. In that article they claimed that the Traunsee in Upper Austria would be suitable. It's about 230 km to the west of Vienna. Gmunden is very close to the autobahn A1, so it would only take you 2,5 hours from Vienna to the Traunsee. Imho the Traunsee is much more beautiful than Lake Neusiedl. :)

I always thought that Lake Neusiedl would be suitable. Yesterday I read that it is too shallow with a max. depth of just 2 meters. I don't know which depth is required for olympic competitions. In that article they claimed that the Traunsee in Upper Austria would be suitable. It's about 230 km to the west of Vienna. Gmunden is very close to the autobahn A1, so it would only take you 2,5 hours from Vienna to the Traunsee. Imho the Traunsee is much more beautiful than Lake Neusiedl. :)

Apparently its good enough for sailing

If the Sailing Federation allows olympic competetions at Lake Neusiedl pretty sure Vienna will go with it as it is very close. But if it is too shallow, Traunsee would be a great alternative. But I don't know if Traunsee isn't too small with a surface area of 24.5 km2.

I've been waiting for Vienna to make some noise - it seems only natural that they would given that generally Austria+Olympics=Innsbruck.

Vienna is a substantial European capital that has not hosted the Olympics, and given that as Madrid's catchcry - I dont see why Vienna can't use that argument either (same goes for Copenhagen - which I think has the second most potential in Europe after Paris).

On a personal note, as a city Vienna doesn't really do it for me. I went there after having a fabulous time in Berlin, Prague, Budapest and Munich - and comparatively to these four it felt rather stale, and even backwards. It's a very conservative city. Very much the home of Europe's 'old guard'. I tend to feel that maybe Vienna's time has gone. I feel like it might have been a suitable 20th century host at some point in an alternative Olympic history (an imaginable alternative to Amsterdam, Helsinki or Munich?)- but I don't think its the direction the IOC should be aiming for in the first half of the 21st century, at least.

I'm all for Paris as the next European repeat, and Copenhagen as the next new European host.

Today the city government officially announce that there will be a referendum from 7 March unti 9 March 2013. There will be 4 questions.

Question #2:

Should the city try to bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics?

[ ] yes

[ ] no

So there probably won't be a Viennese bid for 2024, just for 2028 if the people decide for bidding.

The mayor of Copenhagen, Ritt Bjerregaard, said Thursday during a visit to Beijing, "after the Games in Athens four years ago many thought" of Copenhagen as host city of an Olympic Games, "but after what I have seen here in Beijing, I have to say it is out of the question".

The mayor told the online edition of Politiken, "this is so big and so well-planned that neither Copenhagen or Denmark can carry out something similar. The Olympic Games are simply an event that are too big for a country of five million inhabitants".

Copenhagen is hosting an IOC Congress next year where the 2016 host city will be selected.

Well if anyone saw Beijing that is almost untouchable so IDK maybe they can reconsider after London

While as the mayor of Copenhagen I don't doubt he knows his business, I'm just sceptical of his remarks that Copenhagen and Denmark is too small for the Olympics. If planned properly and responsibly (as I'm sure the Danes would) it could happen.

Ideally, the next three European cities I'd like to see host are Istanbul, Paris and Copenhagen.

I do not think its an issue of compentancy. Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Netherlands could all put together a package that would be able to host the Olympics. Its just the issue of critical mass, volunteers, spectators and venue use after the games. Larger populations allow for the absorbtion of Olympic cost, infrastructure and population swelling a lot more comfortably than smaller nations. And for many small nations it would have to be an national undertaking. Someone in Berne, Linz, Trondheim, Uppsala, Aarhus or Rottendam would need to see the benefit to them of hosting the Olympics in Zurich, Vienna, Osla, Stockholm, Copenhagen or Amsterdam. With the inter and intra-governmental forces within Europe this might be difficult.

This is where London and Vancouver got it so right. They made the Olympics matter to everyone.

But thats our point - in the context of Denmark, a wealthy compact European nation that could easily host. Denmark is not like Switzerland or Norway, the latter two don't have any suitable sized cities like Austria, Denmark or Netherlands.

They couldn't host a Beijing style Games, but I'm sure if the timing was right cities like Vienna, Stockholm, Amsterdam and Copenhagen could all host a London style Olympics.

I do not think its an issue of compentancy. Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Netherlands could all put together a package that would be able to host the Olympics. Its just the issue of critical mass, volunteers, spectators and venue use after the games. Larger populations allow for the absorbtion of Olympic cost, infrastructure and population swelling a lot more comfortably than smaller nations. And for many small nations it would have to be an national undertaking. Someone in Berne, Linz, Trondheim, Uppsala, Aarhus or Rottendam would need to see the benefit to them of hosting the Olympics in Zurich, Vienna, Osla, Stockholm, Copenhagen or Amsterdam. With the inter and intra-governmental forces within Europe this might be difficult.

This is where London and Vancouver got it so right. They made the Olympics matter to everyone.

Exactly. Athens is the smallest city to host a Summer Games recently and it just about had that critical mass. To put it into some perspective, London sold 11m tickets for the Olympics and Paralympics which is more than twice the population of the whole of Denmark and 20 times the population of Copenagen.

The IOC will look at London, see the morning athletics sessions which were sold out, and want to replicate that in future. They'll be looking to cities and countries which won't be overwhelmed by the size of their circus and I'm not sure some of the smaller European cities fit that bill even if they do have enviable train systems with those super double-decker carriages.

To be honest, Copenhagen doesn't excite me at all. I'm sure Denmark's a great place to live, but I was underwhelmed when I visited.

They couldn't host a Beijing style Games, but I'm sure if the timing was right cities like Vienna, Stockholm, Amsterdam and Copenhagen could all host a London style Olympics.

Cities the size of Copenhagan will not be putting on a London style Games any time soon. London did put on a more efficient Games than Beijing, that's true (I seem to remember someone mentioning crazy numbers of people JUST working on the city decorations in Beijing, for example - the manpower they had was phenomenal). But London was still vying with Athens as the second largest Olympic undertaking in history.

Amsterdam could maybe host but it'd still be a smaller affair than recent Games. That said, the Dutch public and government are probably amongst the most sceptical in the World when it comes to these sort of events. Their World Cup was dead before it even got to the vote because it couldn't garner much support and because they weren't willing to bend to FIFA's demands.

Archived