Vienna 2024 or 2028?

Querque

I am very surprised what I just read in the news: Vienna is thinking about bidding for either the 2024 or 2028 summer olympics. Seemingly the government want to do a referendum in March.

What do you think? Any chance for Vienna?

source: http://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrichten/wien/stadtleben/508057_Wien-ueberlegt-Bewerbung-fuer-Olympische-Spiele.html

http://www.vienna.at/olympische-spiele-in-wien-sollen-thema-der-volksbefragung-werden/3433793

I think Vienna has a chance.

Just check out the bid book I did a couple of years back for a Gamesbids.com 2020 Olympics competition:

http://lorddavid04.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1nq29m

I really think they can do it. Ernst Happel Stadium will need to be expanded to at least 70,000 if this is the case. Which means removal of the roof, expansion works done for the 2008 Euro and the addition of a new 3rd tier. Then the whole Wiener Prater could serve as an Olympic Park.

The main problem would be competition, but they will certainly be leaps and bounds ahead of the likes of Baku or Doha, even if those 2 cities already have capable Olympic sized stadiums in place.

I think when Austria's Olympic Committee president says the Winter Olympics are too big for his country that the SUmmer is out of reach. Although Vienna is a beautiful city and is the world's most liveable city I just don't see it happening.

+ Austria was shut out of the medals in London

Well, it seems to be quite sure that the question about bidding for the Olympics will be one of 4 or 5 questions of a referendum in March (such referendums are very common in Vienna). The government will announce those questions on Friday. However I'm won't be surprised if the Viennese people vote against the Olympics, that would be typical Viennese. They rejected a similar project - hosting the Expo 95 - 20 years ago.

I think when Austria's Olympic Committee president says the Winter Olympics are too big for his country that the SUmmer is out of reach. Although Vienna is a beautiful city and is the world's most liveable city I just don't see it happening.

The president of the OÖC said today, that he didn't know anything about the plans of Vienna until today, nevertheless he would support a Viennese bid.

After the London games there was a big discussion in Austria, especially about the miserable sport facilities in Vienna, there is not even one venue that could host an olympic event. So probably that's an important reason for Vienna to bid. There isn't a better reason to build mordern arenas etc. than hosting the olympics.^^

I think Vienna has a chance.

Just check out the bid book I did a couple of years back for a Gamesbids.com 2020 Olympics competition:

http://lorddavid04.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1nq29m

I know your porposals for Viennese olympics and I love them! :D

Austria requires facility improvements ahead of potential Olympics bid

VIENNA, Dec. 11 — Numerous improvements to Austria’s sports facilities are required if the country is to go ahead with a Summer Olympics bid, Austrian sports authorities said Tuesday.

Minister for Sport Norbert Darabos along with the Austrian Olympic Committee said they hoped for the necessary impetus for the changes required ahead of a possible bid for the 2024 or 2028 Summer Games.

Even established venues in capital city Vienna such as the Happel or Dusika Stadiums or the Wiener Stadthalle would need to be altered and adapted, and further arenas and stadiums would need to be constructed.

Darabos said the Viennese populace would need to be surveyed over a potential bid, but that he “fundamentally stands for a bid, because it would bring important structural benefits to sport.”

The Austrian Olympic Committee also said it saw positives in a potential bid, with President Karl Stoss saying the Committee ” supports the Olympic initiative if it promises a realistic chance of success,” but added that it would require “the necessary infrastructure improvements and secure implementation.”

Austrian Olympic Committee Secretary General Peter Mennel said the extra infrastructure would have a positive long-term effect on popular and elite sport due to improve training facilities, and referred to the fact that England now has year-on-year 750,000 more people participating in sport following the 2012 Summer Games in London.

http://www.nzweek.com/world/austria-requires-facility-improvements-ahead-of-potential-olympics-bid-36715/

He did not say the Winter Olympics were too big for his country. He said Austria was too small to play the political games required to win.

He did not say the Winter Olympics were too big for his country. He said Austria was too small to play the political games required to win.

Sorry I was mistaken as to who I was referring too.

It was Franz Klammer famous Austrian skier.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2018/11893-exclusive-klammer-hammers-the-ever-expanding-winter-olympics

• 2 months later...

Application for Olympics costs 100 million Euros

The City of Vienna estimates the costs for an application for the Olympic games to be up to 100 million Euros. The Austrian Social Democratic Party (SPÖ) is discussing whether there should be a second referendum after the total costs have been evaluated.

A referendum in March will show whether people from Vienna want the city to apply for the Olympic games in 2028.

Head of Vienna’s SPÖ Rudolf Schicker now said that an application would cost 80 to 100 million Euros.

If the majority voted for Olympia, the citizens would have to vote again when the total costs of the event have been evaluated, said Mr Schicker on Monday evening.

The total costs of the Olympics in London in 2012 were 12 billion Euros, but it is not clear how much the games would cost Vienna.

Michael Häupl, the mayor of the city of Vienna (SPÖ) is of a different opinion. He said in a press conference yesterday (Tues): "We did not conduct a referendum before the European Football Championships. I think that we do not need it now either."

He explained that if the majority voted "yes" in the referendum, it would be the task of the Austrian Olympic Committee, the Republic of Austria and the City of Vienna to organise the application.

It is clear that Vienna would not have to pay for everything. The event would also be sponsored by partners like the Republic and others.

The high costs for the application can be explained by the need of a "detailed planning". This involves studies about the usability of sports facilities and new and additional buildings as well as plans regarding infrastructure and an Olympic village.

http://austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2013-02-13/46943/Application_for_Olympics_costs_100_million_Euros

• 3 weeks later...

I am really hoping for a Vienna bid in the future.

So, there are only 6 days of your hope left, then you will know if Vienna will bid or not. Vienna's mayor announced a few days/weeks ago that there won't be a second referendum or anything if this referendum ends in favour of the olympics. That means that this referendum will decide if Vienna bids for 2028 or not.

I'm still not sure which result I prefer. On the one hand I'm very curious what Vienna's plans will look like, on the other hand Vienna has no chance to win and get the games and it would probably more sensible for Austria to go for winter olympics.

I hope they are considering on replace Ernst Happel Stadium :lol: because an expandion will be a total mess...

Actually it won't necessarily be. My fantasy bid a few years back proposed the expansion of Ernst Happel to over 70,000.

Remove the roof and modifcations fone for Euro 2008.

Expand the concourse.

Build a 3rd tier.

Add a new roof.

Actually it won't necessarily be. My fantasy bid a few years back proposed the expansion of Ernst Happel to over 70,000.

Remove the roof and modifcations fone for Euro 2008.

Expand the concourse.

Build a 3rd tier.

Add a new roof.

It was the stupidest thing not to build a new stadium for Euro 2008. That was a one-time chance to get a modern multifunctional arena. But of course they did it Austrian-style and did not seize the opportunity. Now the stadium is too small and too old for any UEFA finals or to be a venue of Euro 2020, there is a track which doesn't suit modern standards and can't be used for any athletic competitions. Now there are maximum three Rapid Euroleague matches and four matches of the Austrian national football team and maybe one or two concerts per year and that's it. This stadium is just a mess. It was silly not to build a new arena for Euro 2008 and it would be silly not to build a new arena for the olympics (although no chance Vienna will ever host that event), doesn't matter if they replace EHS or build a new arena somewhere else.

btw EHS has 3 tiers at the moment, to expand it you would have to build a 4th tier.

The first result of the referendum in Vienna will be published tomorrow because most of the voters voted via postal voting. But according to media reports it looks like there will be a clear no on the olympic question.

Vienna residents reject 2028 Summer Olympic bid

VIENNA (AP) - Vienna is dropping plans to bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics after a vast majority of residents rejected the idea in a referendum.

Vienna Mayor Michael Haeupl says first results show that 72 percent oppose the city's ambition to host the games.

Haeupl says "apparently most people are not convinced that the city would benefit in the long term from investing in the games.''

The deadline for postal voting is next Monday, though only marginal changes are expected to the final outcome of the referendum, in which more than 1.1 million residents were eligible to vote.

Vienna was a candidate for the 1964 Summer Olympics, which were awarded to Tokyo. Austria hosted the Winter Olympics that year, and again in 1976, in Innsbruck.

AP

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/olympics/wires/03/12/2090.ap.oly.vienna.2028.bid/

Must cities go thru this idiotic exercise every cycle? Vienna is TOO SMALL to host a 21st century Summer Olympix. But Austria would be a good WOG host. What is it with the smallish cities (Tulsa, Vienna, Nashville, etc.) -- aren't they aware of their own limitations?? :(

Comparing Vienna with Tulsa or Nashville is a little bit strange because Vienna has nearly 2 mio. inhabitants and is bigger than Athens, Barcelona or Hamburg for example.

And Vienna wouldn't be a good WOG host because the mountains are too far away (for example Schladming/Ramsau is nearly 3 hours away).

But I agree that it would have been very difficult for Vienna to win that competition, so it's probably better to save the money and build both an aquatic centre and an athletic centre without bidding for the olympics. Vienna's mayor announced these plans today. At the moment swimmers and athletes can't practice in Vienna because there are no suitable facilities, which I think is a shame for a cosmopolitan city like Vienna.

Yap, huge capital of a tiny country^^ sure Vienna is a city of culture with terrible sport facilities. As I said there are no useable venues for athletics or swimming. Not surprising that the Austrians went home from London without a single medal. Vienna is the most important place for summer sports in Austria, the rest is winter only. These Problems could have been solved with bidding for/hosting the olympics. But it's off the table anyway... I hope that they really build a swimming and an athletic centre after the discussion about the olympics, and maybe a modern multi-functional indoor arena.

Archived