Israel and Palestine conflict

So I am not anti-semitic at all.

I just have the position of thinking Israel is committing grave crimes bordering against genocide in Palestine. (Granted that Palestine's Hamas terrorist group is equally responsible for killing Israeli citizens, however I feel as an outsider that Israel has caused greater damage.

One thing that particularly shocked me that I didn't know was going on was the following:

Gaza Strip is completely blocked by Israel (except tunnels into Egypt). So for farmers to sell their fruit they need to bring it through Israel, which purposely allows these fruits to rot before bringing them to market. Seriously? Who is the innocent government/nation now?

Thoughts?

(NOTE: Although it might seem like I am anti-semitic, I am not I just consider what Israel has done in Palestine as shocking and then to turn around and say they are the victims.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If neither side is willing to concede anything so as not to lose face, no peace will ever come; the people of Israel will live with threats of rockets coming over the border, and Palestinians will live under inhumane blockades.

Have to say though, that Israel's belligerancy and reaction to the UN vote in the last week has been pathetic. Toys right out of the pram.

Please. Let's get real here!

The state of Israel and its policies are by no means perfect - and the current settlement issue needs to be condemned as it only fans flames. In saying that, when you have a terrorist organization, which fires rockets indiscriminately, and openly murders citizens it believes to be involved in espionage and drag their bodies behind cars (while people celebrate in the streets) - its hard to totally condemn Israel for its incursions.

These people hate eachother, and im not sure where either side goes when the hate is this palpable. However, I do think any country would struggle to cope if it was dealing with a government with a military wing - Hamas, and a weakened Palestinian Authority which seems redundant in the current climate.

I just have the position of thinking Israel is committing grave crimes bordering against genocide in Palestine.

Thoughts?

One thought comes to mind. The Canadian govt, doesn't seem to think so. They recently voted against Palestinian Statehood and they voted against a UN motion calling on Israel to open up its nuclear program for inspection.

One thought comes to mind. The Canadian govt, doesn't seem to think so. They recently voted against Palestinian Statehood and they voted against a UN motion calling on Israel to open up its nuclear program for inspection.

The Canadian government does not represent the will of the Canadian people. The current government has a massive bias concerning the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Which is something I would have never voted for.

The Canadian government does not represent the will of the Canadian people. The current government has a massive bias concerning the Israel-Palestine conflict.

So, the current Canadian govt wasnt elected by the people of Canada? Who voted for them? Governments, usually tend to speak for their people (isnt that the idea of a Government? to speak directly and indirectly on behalf of their citizens?)

As for displaying bias, each country must formulate its position. Couldn't you say the same thing about the nations voting in favour of Palestine? A bias towards them?

Like I said, this issue is very very raw and feelings run deep on both sides.

So, the current Canadian govt wasnt elected by the people of Canada? Who voted for them? Governments, usually tend to speak for their people (isnt that the idea of a Government? to speak directly and indirectly on behalf of their citizens?)

As for displaying bias, each country must formulate its position. Couldn't you say the same thing about the nations voting in favour of Palestine? A bias towards them?

Well all main parties are pro-Israel so I am not going to stop voting over that issue alone.

60% of Canadians did not vote for this government.

Your point has a massive flaw, in the past, the Canadian government had no bias and if this were still the case we would have abstained from voting. Instead we took the extreme measure of voting against, further isolating our selves when it comes to the discussion on the middle east conflict. Also, the Israelis have no real reason to appose the Palestinian request other than to keep them from laying charges in the UN human rights council against Israel which was their main fear.

Well all main parties are pro-Israel so I am not going to stop voting over that issue alone.

Not exactly true, the Liberals would have abstained and the NDP would have voted in favor.

60% of Canadians did not vote for this government.

Your point has a massive flaw, in the past, the Canadian government had no bias and if this were still the case we would have abstained from voting. Instead we took the extreme measure of voting against, further isolating our selves when it comes to the discussion on the middle east conflict. Also, the Israelis have no real reason to appose the Palestinian request other than to keep them from laying charges in the UN human rights council against Israel which was their main fear.

Not exactly true, the Liberals would have abstained and the NDP would have voted in favor.

Did not know that thanks.

Since it's simmered down a bit, I thought I'd add my feelings...

What gets me over the Israel/Palestine conflict is that at least onces a year this corner of the the mid-east plays up, as if on cue as if to get on the front of the American news cycle.

Also it seems when the Palestinians start to recover from the previous tait-ta-tait with Israel. that later finds an excuse to slam down on them. assassinating a top Hamas leader in such a public place was only ever going to get a negative response from Hamas - Cue "Israel's right to defend its'self" reaction.

And now they are carrying on with settlement projects on the west bank.

Have to admit that Israel walling its'self in is quite ironic don't you think?

• 1 year later...

Well, Israel seriously need to be stopped since they're inflicting such immense damage against besieged Gaza Strip. The terrorists around them have to be cracked down, but innocent civilians are dying by the hundreds and some declarations of israeli officials are on the verge of speeches of ethnic cleansing. It's a shame though, the US and EU are so used to Israel's disproportionate use of violence.

Brazil recalled its ambassador to Israel because the Brazilian govt. think Israel used excessive force in the last days against Gaza.

So Israel, contradicted itself and lost a big time with a stupid statement to call Brazil a "diplomatic dwarf in the world stage" and the speaker of Israeli Govt. also said: "Brazil can not think the situation in Middle East is like a football match, like crying for losing by 7-1"...

Well, it seems Israel decided to say "whatever" to rest of the world and do what they want...

I loved the answer from Brazilian Govt.

"We don't use adjectives or any provocative terms to talk in high level diplomacy to other nations and we do believe dialogue is the best way to solve problems, since Brazil live in peace with its neighbours for more than 140 years"...

Brazil recalled its ambassador to Israel because the Brazilian govt. think Israel used excessive force in the last days against Gaza.

So Israel, contradicted itself and lost a big time with a stupid statement to call Brazil a "diplomatic dwarf in the world stage" and the speaker of Israeli Govt. also said: "Brazil can not think the situation in Middle East is like a football match, like crying for losing by 7-1"...

Well, it seems Israel decided to say "whatever" to rest of the world and do what they want...

I loved the answer from Brazilian Govt.

"We don't use adjectives or any provocative terms to talk in high level diplomacy to other nations and we do believe dialogue is the best way to solve problems, since Brazil live in peace with its neighbours for more than 140 years"...

If ya don't count the rivalries ;)

A6w7Gts.jpg

azizulhasni awang? malaysian cyclist?

GLASGOW: A Malaysian cyclist has risked disciplinary action by staging a Gaza protest on the track at the Commonwealth Games velodrome in Glasgow.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/commonwealth-games-glasgow-2014/commonwealth-games-news/save-gaza-malaysian-cyclist-in-protest-at-games-20140725-zwn09.html#ixzz38SrQpePV

While I absolutely condemn Hamas' actions, it is also clear to me that at least some elements in the Israeli government are not able to realise that except military, they will not come out as winners from this latest war.

Attacking a school with refugees in them is - even if they are used as human shields for Hamas - not in any way more acceptable than shooting rockets towards Tel Aviv.

An intelligent democratic government would realise this. The self-defense argument is getting weaker by the hour.

-Hamas was founded to liberate Palestine from Israeli occupation and to establish an Islamic State in the area that is now Israel, the West Bank, and the Gaza Strip.

-In July 2009, Khaled Meshai, Hamas's political bureau chief, said the organization was willing to cooperate with "a resolution to the Arab-Israeli conflict which included a Palestinian state based on 1967 borders", provided that Palestinian refugees hold the right to return to Israel and that East Jerusalem be the new nation's capital.

-Mousa Mohammed Abu Mazook, deputy chairman of Hamas political bureau, said in 2014 that "Hamas will not recognize Israel", adding "this is a red line that cannot be crossed"

Governments that recognize Hamas as a terrorist organization:

USA, Canada, EU, Jordan, Egypt, Japan

Governments that support Hamas

Russia, Turkey, China, and many Arab nation

Iran Supreme Leader: The Only Solution For Crisis Is Israel’s Destruction

This is the kind of language constantly used against Israel and supported by the Palestinian government (Hamas).

Archived