Sixth Annual GameBids Olympic Logo Contest

Just saw this thread, shame missed the deadline! I would love to enter, esp been bored dead for the past 2 weeks!! This could have given me something to keep my brain functioning!

BTW, I didn't know GB has this annual design competition thing. Those previous winning logos look great. Who are the designers Sir Rols can you list them out? Like to know thanks!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this thread, shame missed the deadline! I would love to enter, esp been bored dead for the past 2 weeks!! This could have given me something to keep my brain functioning!

BTW, I didn't know GB has this annual design competition thing. Those previous winning logos look great. Who are the designers Sir Rols can you list them out? Like to know thanks!

paul pretty much won them all.

paul pretty much won them all.

Yeah, it's strange to have a Paul-free comp this year. I tried to get in touch with him to see if he'd be in, but no word.

Okay, the past winners' roll of honour is:

Prague: RobH

Rio: Dannyelbrazil

Sochi: Demetrius

Aomori: Paul

Dubai: Barrack

Durban: Paul

Christchurch: Paul

New York City: Paul

I don't see what's so sacrosanct about Lady Liberty. Off the top of my head, if Abbott and Costello can have her ducking to avoid a rocket, and Ghostbusters have her coming to life to wreak havoc in Manhattan, using her as a bid logo for a global event to bring the youth of the world together in harmony seems a pretty worthy use by comparison. And I gotta admit I was a big fan of the 2012 bid logo - I thought it was a very clever juxtaposition of the raised torch and and arm lifted in triumph. And totally, undeniably, recognisable as "New York". No explanation or inside knowledge needed. I'd even go as far as saying, IMO, it was one of the best bid logos ever.

Wow you really loved it!

Those movies you mention are goofy slapstick comedies; imo the logo of the largest sport & cultural event on earth should avoid comic manipulation of landmarks, particularly figurative landmarks.

Wow you really loved it!

Those movies you mention are goofy slapstick comedies; imo the logo of the largest sport & cultural event on earth should avoid comic manipulation of landmarks, particularly figurative landmarks.

Well, one could point to lots of thrillers and other movies as well. It's been used on movie posters, had its head ripped off in Cloverfield and been used on car license plates. And it's a secular statue - I think Rio's nod to Christ on their logo is a bit more iffy (if understandable). I really don't see any big difference between using Lady Liberty and, say, Atlas (well, the religious might have a problem with a pagan statue). If anything, I think Liberty is highly applicable to the Olympics - after all, since it was erected, the original has come to symbolise in many people's minds "welcome to America, world!" And totally recognisable as THE icon of NYC

Anyway, it's all personal taste. Good we don't all have a single aesthetic we all subscribe to. Missed you in the comp this year!

:)

Archived