Movies: 2012 Oscar Bait Edition

Uh huh. I've talked mostly about accessability, but since you bring up morality...

Tell me Mr. Perfect, have you never sat down at a giant bookstore and read a book for 20 min before putting it back on the shelf? Have you never read a magazine article while standing up at a newsstand and then walking away? Have you never glanced through a book of photography to look at the photos, without buying the book? If you're one of the few in this world who has never done any of this, take your place among the righteous. If you've cheated anyone who has ever wrote a book, wrote an article or taken a photo without compensating them for their talents, then join the club.

No; I don't think I've ever read a book for 20 min at a bookstore before putting it back on the shelf. I would know in 10 mins whether I want a book or magazine or not. I've perused magazine articles but don't recall reading & devouring the entire article on bookstore property and time. Besides, looking, examining a book or article is just like previews/trailers in moviehouses -- it gives you a sample of what you can, want or may NOT want to purchase. And remember, the cut-off point for movie refunds is one-hour. If you don't like it at the 59th minute, then you can walk away and still get your money back. Have you also tried borrowing legally at your local library? Your taxes already go to support those -- why don't you patronize them fully? You know, before the internet, Wikipedia, the Blockbusters and the Netflixes, one HAD TO GO to the library to actually do research and visit lessons in history. Not everybody had a full set of the Encyclopedia Britannica at home.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be too sure. They wrote an original song for LES MIZ primarily to Oscar-qualify. So, if the night is going LES MIZ's way, the new song from the score could be the one to beat.

Feeling better, ready to raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk!

Yeah...but that's downright cheating. U are depriving the companies and the artists of their legitimate royalties. I am sure if you were in the business,you would feel otherwise.

Gangwon, your posts have not been the most troubling to me of those in this thread. I've never been to Canada and it does really surprise me that the only way you can legally see Toy Story 3 is to buy the movie. Even those circumstances, however, do not justify theft. I don't have an answer for you as to how else you might see the movie. I'm not Canadian. I still would not have a clear conscience if I did what you are doing. Although your choice may be understandable, that doesn't make it good.

You say it's "making a mountain out if a molehill". Stream 10 movies -- that's $100 worth of theft. If hundreds of thousands of people do that of course it will impact the film industry. Of course prices will rise and others will have to subsidize the theft by paying more. For those who make their living in the industry it really is a mountain of a problem. It's only the disinterested consumer who considers it a molehill.

I don't think it's my God-given right to see any movie I want at any time I want using any means necessary. I do think its my duty to compensate those who provide a product or service that I take advantage of. That's really all there is to it.

• Like 1

I don't think it's my God-given right to see any movie I want at any time I want using any means necessary. I do think its my duty to compensate those who provide a product or service that I take advantage of. That's really all there is to it.

Exactly. You like something made from someone's livelihood? You pay your small share. Toy Story 3 (and other Disney product) may be a little difficult to obtain EVERYDAY since Disney tightly controls the DVD releases of their product...but I cannot BELIEVE that you cannot even find used copies of this on amazon or other outlets. And again, I second all that AthensFan has written. It is just plain wrong.

• Like 1

And remember, the cut-off point for movie refunds is one-hour. If you don't like it at the 59th minute, then you can walk away and still get your money back.

We don't have that here. If we did I would have saved my money on Walle, I am Legend, Twilight Eclipse, Up. etc.

There really is no point arguing this any further positions won't change.

I download 99% tv shows. 1% movies. In fact these are the only 3 movies I have downloaded in over a year. The other being 28 weeks later which I did in fact see in cinemas.

'I have bought the first 14 seasons of the Simpsons + season 20 + the movie however I have downloaded season 21 and 22. Without having Foxtel here (kind of like US cable) it's hard to see these new episodes except when there on at difficult times.

Puppy, Arctic Air really? Really?

Athensfan. Yes, we do not have the market. Part of it is the CRTC and Canadian content rules, part of it is Canadian rights-holders to a lot of film and television have not opened it up (Alliance, Rogers and Bell). Netflixs sucks, we don't have hulu and other such sites and there is just no video rental industry. I live in a city of 100,000 and we have 1 video store.

My natural inclinations should tend towards me favouring open slather for content. Thing is, when I was covering IT and electronics, intellectual property was always a huge issue, and it became something of a joke amongst my friends that I was becoming an “IP-Nazi” and adopting the studio's and recording companies' line when it came to pirating. And I was really self-conscious that while my friends were coming from overseas with armloads of pirate DVDs of the latest movies from the streets of Shanghai or swapping around thumb drives with the latest seasons of Dexter or The Sopranos, I was Mr Goody Two-Shoes who refused to sully my hands with such contraband.

I'm not saying I didn't weaken now and then. But more often than not I found you get what you “paid for”. I found it spoiled movies that I really wanted to see, when I'd get a pirate copy made in some Russian cinema with the sound three seconds out of synch with the action and shadows of people getting up to go to the toilet in the middle of it. Or sit down to watch Game of Thrones only to have it freeze in the middle of an episode because it's a flawed copy and it just pixelated. So I tend to still avoid them.

I can understand, though, particularly for TV shows that sometimes take a year or more to make it here after airing overseas, that people just lose patience. But even then, the networks here seem to be learning and fast-tracking content straight off the satellite. At least in that case, they seem to be learning why so many people download illegally, and trying to take steps to alleviate the stupidly tardy releases and airings we get so often here.

• Like 1

Well one of my favorite shows (Cougar Town) no longer airs here. Channel 7s chief executive called it a $h!t show. So I have to download it. As for another one of good shows (Revenge) Season 2 came out in September and still has not come out here.

Oh yes, that's bloody annoying. I hate it when the networks here just stop showing a show right in the middle of the season and give no info at all when or even if they'll show the rest.

I just noticed today that after being told last week by Channel 9 that the finale of Survivor Philippines would show this week, it's not on the schedule at all - and this is a long time after it's aired in the States. No notice, no explanation no bloody nothing!

I've waited for Season 3 of Downtown Abbey for a couple of months. I think Season 3 started like August or September in the UK. Anyway, now that it's into Episode 3/S3, I'm greatly disappointed. I've found the show's quality (mainly the plotting) has gone downhill. I just can't get involved with these characters anymore. But at least I didn't jumpstart anything illegaly, altho I know of the future plot twists of the season from the Message Boards on IMDB. Damn the spoilers!!

I just noticed today that after being told last week by Channel 9 that the finale of Survivor Philippines would show this week,

Hint, Rols: the deserving person wins. ;)

Well one of my favorite shows (Cougar Town) no longer airs here. Channel 7s chief executive called it a $h!t show. So I have to download it. As for another one of good shows (Revenge) Season 2 came out in September and still has not come out here.

Cougar Town??!! Ugh.

Here in the States I have patiently waited for each season of Spooks to come out -- even though they were all over a year behind. It's just the way it goes. Something to look forward to.

I have friends who work in the industry at lower levels. Call it union propaganda if you like, but their strong conviction is that it hurts the entire industry. Perhaps the big-budget studios can weather the loss a bit better, but it's still a loss. Look at what's happened to the music industry over the last few decades. Piracy is stealing and it kills jobs.

You DO know I work in the film industry, right?

The people in the lower levels share DVD screeners all the time. And file sharing films is no different. Morals? Whatever. We're not talking about robbing an orphanage here, are we?

Edited by nykfan845

I had no idea you worked in the film industry. Why would I? I know some of your colleagues who'd be baying for blood if they knew you were condoning piracy. Screeners are given to industry folk to promote films particularly around awards season. They are GIVEN and like any gift they can be shared or loaned to others.

Films streamed online are not gifts and they are not watched with the creators'/original vendors' permission. They are stolen property.

Incidentally, the comment you quoted was directed at krow.

I had no idea you worked in the film industry. Why would I? I know some of your colleagues who'd be baying for blood if they knew you were condoning piracy. Screeners are given to industry folk to promote films particularly around awards season. They are GIVEN and like any gift they can be shared or loaned to others.

Films streamed online are not gifts and they are not watched with the creators'/original vendors' permission. They are stolen property.

Incidentally, the comment you quoted was directed at krow.

They are not supposed to be shared at all, so no. That's why they're sent individually. Downloading a torrent is no different. My colleagues pirate as well. It's not a secret, my friend. No one would be shocked if someone talked about downloading the newest Transformers. They wouldn't bat an eye. Film that people pirate are films that they were unlikely to pay for in theaters anyway.

And they don't kill jobs. That's a myth. Hollywood is making more money than ever. That isn't:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/31/piracy-hollywood-2012_n_2389830.html

Like I said, I don't pirate independent films for obvious reasons, but please stop being the white knight for Hollywood. They're doing just fine despite pirates. Now the DVD/BR market might be in decline, but you can blame that more on Netflix and online streaming more than anything else, IMO.

Edited by nykfan845
  • Like 1

They are not supposed to be shared at all, so no. That's why they're sent individually. Downloading a torrent is no different. My colleagues pirate as well. It's not a secret, my friend. No one would be shocked if someone talked about downloading the newest Transformers. They wouldn't bat an eye. Film that people pirate are films that they were unlikely to pay for in theaters anyway.

And they don't kill jobs. That's a myth. Hollywood is making more money than ever. That isn't:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/31/piracy-hollywood-2012_n_2389830.html

Like I said, I don't pirate independent films for obvious reasons, but please stop being the white knight for Hollywood. They're doing just fine despite pirates. Now the DVD/BR market might be in decline, but you can blame that more on Netflix and online streaming more than anything else, IMO.

I'm not playing the champion for Hollywood. I'm opposed to theft. Call me radical.

Glad to hear you're feeling so confident. There was a time the music industry was too.

Studios aren't stupid. If they send out a free DVD it will be shared. Add all the members of all the guilds together multiply by three and and you'll still have a drop in the bucket compared to the number of illegal downloads.

You look so pretty! (Post a pic!)

Did you know that Fefe has released 'Sunday Love' as a download only legit release?

Yay!

no!! downloaded it (legally, athens, deep breaths) just now -- listening. the sound quality could only improve from our awful bootleg circa 2005.