Movies: 2012 Oscar Bait Edition

Believe it or not, but most peeps, even those from developed nations, pirate stuff like movies, why that's why .avi is still present even though it's an outdated codec/format and more importantly why most portable hard drives (and USB sticks) would most likely have such material on them. Like it or hate it, it's a fact.

I could go on about piracy laws blah blah blah, but it's a present fact that can't be denied. I watch movies at the cinema on occasion and buy movies on DVD and blu-ray, as well as do my fair share of downloading. Lots of peeps do the same.

• Like 1
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be too sure. They wrote an original song for LES MIZ primarily to Oscar-qualify. So, if the night is going LES MIZ's way, the new song from the score could be the one to beat.

Feeling better, ready to raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk!

Yeah...but that's downright cheating. U are depriving the companies and the artists of their legitimate royalties. I am sure if you were in the business,you would feel otherwise.

For the independent films, I am with you there, but let's be real. Hollywood film really aren't suffering much from piracy.

I have friends who work in the industry at lower levels. Call it union propaganda if you like, but their strong conviction is that it hurts the entire industry. Perhaps the big-budget studios can weather the loss a bit better, but it's still a loss. Look at what's happened to the music industry over the last few decades. Piracy is stealing and it kills jobs.

Agreed.

Sorry to say but in my life I have seen many horrible movies that I refuse to watch again. I still go to the movies. I went and saw Skyfall and hunger games and Pitch Perfect twice and then I downloaded it for my mother. Lucky I did because she did not find it funny or interesting. I could care less if the actors and producers are losing money they're rich as can be. Understand about the people that work in cinemas but here in Oz those jobs aren't going anywhere. The line ups are huge. The cinema food prices are ridiculously expensive.

Sorry if I offended you by downloading movies. However SLP doesn't come out here til the 31st, Lincoln comes out 7th of February. Also I missed Argo when it was in cinemas. So yeah i'm impatient as well.

First, you're not "offending" me. You are stealing. You are taking something that doesn't belong to you, something others worked countless hours to create, and you are not paying a penny for it.

If you don't want to spend money on bad movies, do your homework. It's not that tough to read online reviews and determine whether or not a film is worth seeing. You can easily weed out the terrible ones that way.

Also, you're not just cheating Australian cinema staff -- you're cheating the gaffers, the chauffeurs, the secretaries, everybody who works in the industry. Less revenue means less new production, less pay, fewer jobs.

Pretending piracy is a victimless crime is delusional and false. Saying it's "here to stay", which is just a variation on "everybody's doing it", doesn't mean its right. It doesn't mean you shouldn't feel guilty about stealing. Grow a moral conscience.

Believe it or not, but most peeps, even those from developed nations, pirate stuff like movies, why that's why .avi is still present even though it's an outdated codec/format and more importantly why most portable hard drives (and USB sticks) would most likely have such material on them. Like it or hate it, it's a fact.

I could go on about piracy laws blah blah blah, but it's a present fact that can't be denied. I watch movies at the cinema on occasion and buy movies on DVD and blu-ray, as well as do my fair share of downloading. Lots of peeps do the same.

Disgusting.

Like it or not free movies are here to stay. Adapt or perish

So it's fine as long as its someone else's paycheck and job that suffers. You'd scream bloody murder if it were your own.

The lack of principles is appalling. I had no idea there was such a deplorable lack of integrity amongst the members of GB. You are all amazingly self-serving and callous.

The lack of principles is appalling. I had no idea there was such a deplorable lack of integrity amongst the members of GB. You are all amazingly self-serving and callous.

i'm sorry, what?

you'll have to speak a bit louder. it's hard to hear you all the way up there on your pedestal.

First, you're not "offending" me. You are stealing. You are taking something that doesn't belong to you, something others worked countless hours to create, and you are not paying a penny for it.

If you don't want to spend money on bad movies, do your homework. It's not that tough to read online reviews and determine whether or not a film is worth seeing. You can easily weed out the terrible ones that way.

Also, you're not just cheating Australian cinema staff -- you're cheating the gaffers, the chauffeurs, the secretaries, everybody who works in the industry. Less revenue means less new production, less pay, fewer jobs.

Pretending piracy is a victimless crime is delusional and false. Saying it's "here to stay", which is just a variation on "everybody's doing it", doesn't mean its right. It doesn't mean you shouldn't feel guilty about stealing. Grow a moral conscience.

Disgusting.

So it's fine as long as its someone else's paycheck and job that suffers. You'd scream bloody murder if it were your own.

I'll go to the theatres when I want, I'll watch Netflix when I want, I'll stream movies online when I want. And I do all of them. What I don't need is someone calling me the second coming of the devil for living in the 21st century. This isn't the first time an industry has been affected by technological and modern change, and it won't be the last. My field of work has also been outsourced over the last decade, and the internet has also cut down on the profits of what my predecessors never had to deal with 15 years ago. Rightly or wrongly, free movies is a modern reality, and those involved in this work just have to deal with it. Think of how you're not special at all before being all judgmental.

• Like 1

Dude calm your stuff. i have a moral conscience. I don't bloody kill people. Downloading movies has been around for a decade. Many people do it. Not going with the flow but seriously. I paid $20 for a ticket to hunger games. It is not bloody cheap. maybe if they lower there prices ill be more frequent. Firstly you didnt even acknowledge my fact that neither movie has come out here yet.

And as for the music industry it seems to going pretty bloody well. Cds have been $20 here for over a decade and nee albums are never cheaper and dont get me started on itunes. From 99c a song to $1.19 to $2.19. I hate apple, i hate how expensive it is. Same with movies. Til they go cheap I will download.

So it's fine as long as its someone elses paycheck and job that suffers. You'd scream bloody murder if it were your own.

The lack of principles is appalling. I had no idea there was such a lack of integrity amongst the members of GB. You are all amazingly self-serving and callous.

Don't bloody go there. I lost my job to self service machines. Shut the hell up

And does anyone know of a "legitimate" way where I can watch older movies I used to rent from the video store? All the video stores have closed down in my city, and Netflix selection in Canada SUCKS. This is a genuine question and I'd really like to know. Hell, it eliminates the biggest reason why I end up streaming movies online.

Just saw ARGO; it was OK -- enjoyable but not great movie art. LES MIZ is better crafted but ARGO may get the Hollywood unions' vote because (i) a lot of it was made in the US/Hollywood (vs. LES MIZ which was made in the UK); and (ii) the film glorifies Hollywood's tenuous role in that particular 'rescue' drama. If I were to pick between the 2, I would give the slight edge to LES MIZ because I thought it was a harder challenge to make it cinematic and be true to the spirit of the musical. ARGO is a good 'rescue' movie...but not one for the ages.

I'm still waiting for the first Mid-eastern terrorist/fundamentalist filmusical!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

And does anyone know of a "legitimate" way where I can watch older movies I used to rent from the video store? All the video stores have closed down in my city, and Netflix selection in Canada SUCKS. This is a genuine question and I'd really like to know. Hell, it eliminates the biggest reason why I end up streaming movies online.

I have that same issue. It is so hard to get some older movies. There is a really good DVD store in Hamilton and Cambridge that carries 1000's of titles and will order anything in print for you, but its like 30 dollars each. As an art it needs to be more accessible and unfortunately modern technology has made a lot of films unavailable. And now with the film to digital even more films will be lost.

i'm sorry, what?

you'll have to speak a bit louder. it's hard to hear you all the way up there on your pedestal.

Get real, krow. I generally love your posts, but there's no pedestal here. Stealing is stealing.

Dude calm your stuff. i have a moral conscience. I don't bloody kill people. Downloading movies has been around for a decade. Many people do it. Not going with the flow but seriously. I paid $20 for a ticket to hunger games. It is not bloody cheap. maybe if they lower there prices ill be more frequent. Firstly you didnt even acknowledge my fact that neither movie has come out here yet.

And as for the music industry it seems to going pretty bloody well. Cds have been $20 here for over a decade and nee albums are never cheaper and dont get me started on itunes. From 99c a song to $1.19 to $2.19. I hate apple, i hate how expensive it is. Same with movies. Til they go cheap I will download.

Don't bloody go there. I lost my job to self service machines. Shut the hell up

So the fact you aren't a murderer means you have a moral conscience? Well, pat yourself on the back, brother.

As for movie prices, piracy is a big part of the reason for the higher costs. Tickets will only get more expensive to off-set the theft.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your job. I hope that gives you some compassion for others.

To me, this is a fair concern. If there really is no other way to get access to a film, that's a legitimate problem. I'm pretty happy with Netflix and Amazon here in the States. I'm sorry to hear other countries have a lot less selection.

Just to clarify, my tirade was triggered by those who blithely explained that they were watching illegal bootlegs of this year's Oscar nominees -- not tricky to find classics. In most cases the reasoning was "wanting to save money" or "impatience" for the DVD release.

I really don't see any gray area there at all.

Once again you failed to acknowledge the fact that NEITHER movie has come out in Australia yet.

Your right I mean ticket prices are high because of piracy. I guess thats why we haven't had any huge box office hits lately. OH WAIT avatar dark knight rises toy story 3 hmmm

I'm getting rather sick of this argument. I only do it when I missed the movie in cinema or it hasn't come out yet. No point explaining any further.

Once again you failed to acknowledge the fact that NEITHER movie has come out in Australia yet.

Your right I mean ticket prices are high because of piracy. I guess thats why we haven't had any huge box office hits lately. OH WAIT avatar dark knight rises toy story 3 hmmm

I'm getting rather sick of this argument. I only do it when I missed the movie in cinema or it hasn't come out yet. No point explaining any further.

So you're planning to buy a ticket once those films are released? Or your impatience somehow justifies your theft?

How does the existence of blockbusters have any bearing whatsoever on the way piracy drives up ticket prices?

So you're planning to buy a ticket once those films are released? Or your impatience somehow justifies your theft?

How does the existence of blockbusters have any bearing whatsoever on the way piracy drives up ticket prices?

Patience justifies the theft. Guess next time they should release it here quicker. I mean seriously. The movie has won awards across the world. It came out over 2 months ago in USA and I am still here waiting. Don't feel sorry.

Well you said that high ticket prices are high because of piracy. However they are here so movies can make hundreds of million of dollars.

I do download as well - sometimes due to impatience, sometimes due to laziness, sometimes because I know I will hate the film but am somewhat curious. However 99% of my downloads are TV shows that are either not shown in Australia (Workaholics, various international Amazing Race seasons, Archer, Arctic Air, Bob's Burgers - I could go on) or shown at times I can't watch due to other commitments (MasterChef Australia, The Block - who can dedicate time every night of the week to a show? Seriously?) or as is the case here more often than not - they show the seasons out of order and sometimes substituting episodes from random seasons between the new episodes (hello 'Boardwalk Empire').

However I do buy DVD sets when available (even from Amazon etc) - Mad Men, Walking Dead, Total Drama Island, Chuck, How To Make It In America, Rome, Children's Hosiptal, The League... etc etc. I also buy a lot of DVD's off eBay - which is also technically illegal unless the seller is the studio producing the work. I don't see much outrage over that...

As far as movies go I do make the effort to see films in the cinema - however 3D gives me headaches - thus if there is nowhere screening a 2D version of a film (most recent examples are 'Brave' and 'Wreck It Ralph' - both impossible to find screenings in 2D around here) I will download a cam copy or a dvd rip (if available) as the distributor and studio have made a conscious decision to not cater to a large chunk of their potential audience.

However in the case of 'Brave' I have purchased the BluRay/DVD when it became available locally. Disney/Pixar still got their $20 but I also got to see the film at the release time using non-revenue raising means. I will also buy 'Wreck It Ralph' when available as it is outstanding.

Other times I download movies that are not commercially available on DVD here - 'D.A.R.Y.L.', 'Brooklyn Brothers', 'The Do-Deca-Pentathlon', 'From Up On Poppy Hill', 'Sleepwalk With Me' etc etc - and in the case of 'Brookly Brothers', 'The Do-Deca-Pentathlon' and 'Sleepwalk With Me' did not get a commercial cinema run here either.

In regards to real classics I download legally from archive.org that has a whole ton of films and music that is now out of copyright or free. There are some great films from the 30's and 40's on there as well as some great docos.

As for music - again I try to buy legally. I really don't buy CDs anymore (except for the one or two acts I am a total nerd completist of - ahem Barenaked Ladies) though I used to buy a lot digitally from the UK 7digital site. They have now got an Aussie mirror that is 60% more expensive (even after factoring in exchange rates) and thus I download a lot more illegally than I used to.

I am not an Apple person at all - no iPhone, iPad or iLife apparently so iTunes is usless for me. Do I feel guilty? No - I spend a fiendish amount going to gigs (even so far as going overseas - recent overseas trips have been to see Shania Twain, Aretha Franklin and Aerosmith) so I tend to make sure the musical acts I love get something from me.

If there were lots of Broadway shows available as downloads I'd be grabbing them too as they rarely bring decent shows here. However that is not the case yet as Broadway fans tend to very protective of their illegal bootlegs - though I did enjoy watching a shaky cam copy of 'The Book Of Mormon' from my loungeroom recently.

So yeah - I am a thief. And will continue to be a thief and will feel absolutely no remorse - if the ability to buy the things I want was available to me I would buy them. Since I live in a small market with ridiculously overpriced goods I will continue to shop online from offshore on not pay at all. I'd prefer to have every season of The Amazing Race and Survivor on DVD but CBS has opted to only release some of the seasons on 'Manufacture On Demand' DVR's through Amazon who in some cases refuse to ship them to Australia as they don't hold the rights to distribute them outside the US/Canada. So who I am stealing from their when they refuse to supply me with the goods I am willing to pay for?

Judge away...

• Like 1

To me, this is a fair concern. If there really is no other way to get access to a film, that's a legitimate problem. I'm pretty happy with Netflix and Amazon here in the States. I'm sorry to hear other countries have a lot less selection.

Just to clarify, my tirade was triggered by those who blithely explained that they were watching illegal bootlegs of this year's Oscar nominees -- not tricky to find classics. In most cases the reasoning was "wanting to save money" or "impatience" for the DVD release.

I really don't see any gray area there at all.

It's not even about the classics. Even 2 year old movies are tricky to find. Where can I watch Toy Story 3 or Inception? Or Crash? All 3 are movies I've recently streamed because there was no other way to watch them. It's about being able to watch what I want, when I want. If I could rent them legitimately from the video store across the street for $4, I'd do it. Am I willing to pay $30 to order a movie like that store in Faster's town offers? F*ck no.

And while I've never actually watched a bootleg of a movie currently in theatres, I have no problem at all doing so, if the need for convenience arises.

It's not even about the classics. Even 2 year old movies are tricky to find. Where can I watch Toy Story 3 or Inception? Or Crash? All 3 are movies I've recently streamed because there was no other way to watch them. It's about being able to watch what I want, when I want. If I could rent them legitimately from the video store across the street for $4, I'd do it. Am I willing to pay $30 to order a movie like that store in Faster's town offers? F*ck no.

And while I've never actually watched a bootleg of a movie currently in theatres, I have no problem at all doing so, if the need for convenience arises.

And if these movies were never made, I DON'T think you would have such an over-riding NEED to watch them, let alone a "want' to view them. I guess how nice for all the creative minds and efforts behind such films that you have to see when you want them to render their talents to you and hundreds of other for free. Gee, what a charitable world. Now, what services in the future can you offer humanity for free? :blink:

And if these movies were never made, I DON'T think you would have such an over-riding NEED to watch them, let alone a "want' to view them. I guess how nice for all the creative minds and efforts behind such films that you have to see when you want them to render their talents to you and hundreds of other for free. Gee, what a charitable world. Now, what services in the future can you offer humanity for free? :blink:

Uh huh. I've talked mostly about accessability, but since you bring up morality...

Tell me Mr. Perfect, have you never sat down at a giant bookstore and read a book for 20 min before putting it back on the shelf? Have you never read a magazine article while standing up at a newsstand and then walking away? Have you never glanced through a book of photography to look at the photos, without buying the book? If you're one of the few in this world who has never done any of this, take your place among the righteous. If you've cheated anyone who has ever wrote a book, wrote an article or taken a photo without compensating them for their talents, then join the club.

Well, that's just flat out bizarre to me. No way to see those movies in Canada? Forgive me if Im skeptical. Is Canada really so far out of the loop culturally? ouch.

Amazing. Impatience justifies theft according to Darcy.

I'm impatient to be able to afford the car I want. Should I just go out and take one?

I suppose you'll tell me the theft is acceptable because a movie ticket costs far less than a car. Try taking a pack of gum out if a grocery store and see if they'll let you leave without paying.

You steal because you're self-centered. You can't wait a couple if months to see a movie. Poor baby. Darcy, I've got no respect for you and you don't have a moral conscience. Contrary to your previous protestations, the fact that you haven't killed anyone doesn't make you a good person.

Uh huh. I've talked mostly about accessability, but since you bring up morality...

Tell me Mr. Perfect, have you never sat down at a giant bookstore and read a book for 20 min before putting it back on the shelf? Have you never read a magazine article while standing up at a newsstand and then walking away? Have you never glanced through a book of photography to look at the photos, without buying the book? If you're one of the few in this world who has never done any of this, take your place among the righteous. If you've cheated anyone who has ever wrote a book, wrote an article or taken a photo without compensating them for their talents, then join the club.

I am very far from perfect. I have many flaws and have screwed various things up on a grand scale. But I admit to it, apologize and ask forgiveness. I do not purposefully maintain and defend a habit I know to be wrong and harmful to others. The fact that people do this and feel "no remorse whatsoever" is shocking to me. We're talking about the basics of right and wrong here. There are so many individuals here who are totally at home with wrong and are eager to champion its cause that I feel like I've walked into the twilight zone.

Incidentally, I have not done any of the particular things you mentioned. I have done other things that I regret far more, but that's really none of your business. The movie piracy was something that others openly and cheerfully volunteered on their own and is, therefore, a fair topic of conversation.

By the way, judgement is not a dirty word. There are actions that should be judged. Stealing is one of them. Not judging it would be wrong.

• Like 1

this is the wrong conversation to be having in 2013. pandora's box has been opened for a decade and it's not going to close.

in coming to terms with that, the important thing is not to chastise everyone who downloads a .99 cent song for free, but to make sure that, as puppy said, you're still finding ways to support the artists and media you care about. there's a responsibility - and an opportunity - there that media companies and artists are not taking advantage of. athensfan's diatribe reminds me of those ineffective cigarette ads that tell you you're going to die tomorrow if you keep smoking. they never really worked, and just entrenched people in their behaviors.

scare tactics, dramatic lawsuits, and guilt trips aren't working: these are corporations that don't bat an eye when they're able to exploit consumers, but cry foul when the tables are turned. the well of sympathy has run dry and it's time for a different approach.

this is the wrong conversation to be having in 2013. pandora's box has been opened for a decade and it's not going to close.

I really disagree. Pandora's box is open, but that doesn't mean stealing is permissible, much less defensible. It's because the box is open that this conversation is necessary. People still have the capacity to choose. People are not animals controlled solely by the instinct for self-preservation and personal pleasure.

Technological development does not change right and wrong. Whether or not anyone's behavior changes, it is important to call out immoral, self-serving behavior. Once those voices die out (or are silenced), what's left of society? Granted, we're just talking about movies, which may seem very trivial. I do feel this one issue is a microcosm of wider spread moral relativism that poses a serious threat.

Lets look at Les Miz. Jean Valjean steals a loaf of bread because he's starving (not because he doesn't want to wait to see a movie) and an act of grace and compassion transforms him. Turning a blind eye and saying anything goes is not grace. It's not transformative.

Beasts of the Southern Wild judges society that marginalizes the poor. Django Unchained judges slavery and people who victimize others for personal gain and/or pleasure. Lincoln judges people who prioritize economics over human dignity. These films have a sense of right and wrong. Throw that out the window and what movies will be worth watching?

What "different approach" are you recommending?

• Like 1

Well, that's just flat out bizarre to me. No way to see those movies in Canada? Forgive me if Im skeptical. Is Canada really so far out of the loop culturally? ouch.

Isn't it bizarre? Now we agree. Where exactly would YOU get these movies if they're no longer in theatres, not on Netflix, and if all the video stores have closed down? I'm not going to buy a DVD for every movie I want to see. Since you found a way to make it work, I'd love to know how you do it. Hopefully it's better than Baron's suggestion of going to the library.

I am very far from perfect. I have many flaws and have screwed various things up on a grand scale. But I admit to it, apologize and ask forgiveness. I do not purposefully maintain and defend a habit I know to be wrong and harmful to others. The fact that people do this and feel "no remorse whatsoever" is shocking to me. We're talking about the basics of right and wrong here. There are so many individuals here who are totally at home with wrong and are eager to champion its cause that I feel like I've walked into the twilight zone.

I'm not championing any cause. In fact I'd agree with you that at its core, people should be compensated for their talents and intellectual property. But scale is important too. And yes, if everyone who had ever steamed an online movie had paid $10 to watch that movie instead, it might make a considerable difference. But on an individual scale, it's not my job to save the world. Let's look at this in perspective. To the extent that you'd carrying on this debate, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.