Movies: 2012 Oscar Bait Edition

So the Golden Globes winners satisfied me somewhat, varieties of movies got awards in different categories. Was happy to see Argo winning, Ben , Jennifer Lawrance and of course ADELE!!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be too sure. They wrote an original song for LES MIZ primarily to Oscar-qualify. So, if the night is going LES MIZ's way, the new song from the score could be the one to beat.

Feeling better, ready to raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk!

Yeah...but that's downright cheating. U are depriving the companies and the artists of their legitimate royalties. I am sure if you were in the business,you would feel otherwise.

I got through it, but it sure highlighted all the reasons The King's Speech was not the deserved winner a couple years ago. Hooper is not a very talented director.

I disagree. He was great with THE KING's SPEECH. Much less so for LES MIZ. For LES MIZ, you really cannot deviate from the material that much. And because they are singing, you HAVE to show/film the performances from the front -- no 2 ways about that. At least they didn't give it to Baz Luhrrman or Danny Boyle who would've torn the piece to shreds.

Great podcast on how the screenwriter William Nicholson turned it into a working screenplay and overcoming most of the plot holes in the stage version. This guy knows what he's talking about which is why the finished product is almost seamless. http://www.theqandapodcast.com/2012/12/les-miserables-q.html

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The King's Speech is emotional drival and will soon be up there with Crash and Chariots of Fire on perennial lists of least-deserving winners.

Well, again, here I greatly DISAGREE. For me, TKS is/was one of the Best, MOST ENJOYABLE films for me in the last decade or so. But agree with you on CRASH & CHARIOTS.

BTW, it's "drivel"...NOT drival.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I gave 'Les Mis' another quick look last night - thank you interwebs and the ability to fast forward/skip through most of it.

The scale of the opening is fantastic and the barricade sequence is intense however the emotional connection to the material is lacking. And I know why - it is the scale of a lot of it. You lose the intimacy of the stage and it just doesn't translate.

Is it awful? Like 'Rock Of Ages'/'Rent' awful? No. However the best adaptation of stage musical to screen in recent years remains 'Hairspray'. With maybe 'Hedwig' a close second.

Does it deserve the major Oscars? Hugh really went all out - valls to the wall - so that deserves rewarding. Furthermore I found Daniel Day Lewis so reserved and while probably very accurate his Lincoln was dull dull dull. I can see the Oscars giving it to Hugh as a reward for being a good old fashion triple threat.

Anne is fantastic in quite a small role in a very long film. They'll give it to her for going out on a limb.

Les Miserables isn't winning Best Picture.

It's between Argo, Silver Linings Playbook and Lincoln.

I'd be ok with either Argo or SLP. I enjoyed them both immensely.

Lincoln was well-crafted, but the first third was way too talky and inactive. I will be irked if it wins.

Kind of unrelated but I LOVE the people that leak videos. Saved me hundreds haha. Got to watch Argo for free, same with Silver Linings Playbook (yet to watch) and watching pitch perfect!

Yeah...but that's downright cheating. U are depriving the companies and the artists of their legitimate royalties. I am sure if you were in the business,you would feel otherwise.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Kind of unrelated but I LOVE the people that leak videos. Saved me hundreds haha. Got to watch Argo for free, same with Silver Linings Playbook (yet to watch) and watching pitch perfect!

It's not just the corporate executives and the movie stars you are cheating. You're also cheating the lighting guys, the wardrobe assistants, the lowly PA's. You're participating in theft and you should feel guilty about it.

i only occasionally borrow tv shows that

1. air in england first, which is a ridiculous thing for them to do to me and so they get what they deserve.

2. air on stations i don't get because i don't enjoy watching tv on televisions. (millenials)

3. are not on netflix and are, therefore, supremely annoying. (millenials)

and, no, i don't feel guilty about it because two weeks ago i wanted to watch jawbreaker and so i paid $10 for it on itunes when i could have just downloaded it for free like any other self-respecting millenial would have done.

#YOLO

It's not just the corporate executives and the movie stars you are cheating. You're also cheating the lighting guys, the wardrobe assistants, the lowly PA's. You're participating in theft and you should feel guilty about it.

For the independent films, I am with you there, but let's be real. Hollywood film really aren't suffering much from piracy.

For the independent films, I am with you there, but let's be real. Hollywood film really aren't suffering much from piracy.

Agreed.

Sorry to say but in my life I have seen many horrible movies that I refuse to watch again. I still go to the movies. I went and saw Skyfall and hunger games and Pitch Perfect twice and then I downloaded it for my mother. Lucky I did because she did not find it funny or interesting. I could care less if the actors and producers are losing money they're rich as can be. Understand about the people that work in cinemas but here in Oz those jobs aren't going anywhere. The line ups are huge. The cinema food prices are ridiculously expensive.

Sorry if I offended you by downloading movies. However SLP doesn't come out here til the 31st, Lincoln comes out 7th of February. Also I missed Argo when it was in cinemas. So yeah i'm impatient as well.

Agreed.

Sorry to say but in my life I have seen many horrible movies that I refuse to watch again. I still go to the movies. I went and saw Skyfall and hunger games and Pitch Perfect twice and then I downloaded it for my mother. Lucky I did because she did not find it funny or interesting. I could care less if the actors and producers are losing money they're rich as can be. Understand about the people that work in cinemas but here in Oz those jobs aren't going anywhere. The line ups are huge. The cinema food prices are ridiculously expensive.

Sorry if I offended you by downloading movies. However SLP doesn't come out here til the 31st, Lincoln comes out 7th of February. Also I missed Argo when it was in cinemas. So yeah i'm impatient as well.

That's no EXCUSE. You are still STEALING; u are no better than the pirates in China. U have a choice of getting your money back if w/in the first hour, you walk out and say that the movie's not for you. Or at least that policy if available in the States. But if u from a developed country, stoops to such 3rd world tactics -- excusing it with your twisted reasoning...all for your petty, selfish reasons; then I'm afraid we won't have a very cohesive world...thanks to such provincial minds as yours. :(