Movies: 2012 Oscar Bait Edition

Faster

I had no idea you worked in the film industry. Why would I? I know some of your colleagues who'd be baying for blood if they knew you were condoning piracy. Screeners are given to industry folk to promote films particularly around awards season. They are GIVEN and like any gift they can be shared or loaned to others.

Films streamed online are not gifts and they are not watched with the creators'/original vendors' permission. They are stolen property.

Incidentally, the comment you quoted was directed at krow.

LOL, what? No. Awards screeners are not meant to be shared. Like, at all. They're only meant to seen by awards voters, not regular industry folk.

And really, there is no way of stopping piracy. None.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are tons of Emmy screeners on eBay all the time. I have bought Amazing Race, AMC, PBS and other screeners.

Rarely see an AMPAS/HFP screener though. There was an old Academy Awards video screener of 'Amistad' on there a few months back but that got pulled really quickly!!

Most AMPAS and other film award screeners are now coded for unique ID. So if one of them show up on a torrent, they'll know exactly who is responsible. Unfortunately, there have already been ways around it.

Otherwise, theater screenings and online streaming is used for voting bodies.

And we all know piracy "stealing" and "morally wrong" but regardless of whatever vernacular you use, we just don't give a ****. In the grand scheme of wrong-doing in the world, this is far down the totem pole.

I don't subscribe to "no victim, no crime" because there's always a victim. Stealing is bad for the people who suffer the loss and bad for those doing the taking who are betraying their own best selves. There IS real financial loss -- if there weren't there would also be no motive for piracy. It sounds like you're deriding me for saying that it's wrong to take something that doesn't belong to you. Sad.

I don't subscribe to "no victim, no crime" because there's always a victim. Stealing is bad for the people who suffer the loss and bad for those doing the taking who are betraying their own best selves. There IS real financial loss -- if there weren't there would also be no motive for piracy. It sounds like you're deriding me for saying that it's wrong to take something that doesn't belong to you. Sad.

No, I'm deriding you for the narrowsightedness that is your perspective of morality. Instead of looking at the bigger picture and the actual consequences of the said act of immorality, you simply hate film piracy because it has been deemed "wrong". I mean, I don't want to go all Nietzsche on you, but that's what it is. What does being "wrong" mean?

well athens i guess you can just congratulate yourself on being so much better than the rest of us.

i hope that brings you as much comfort as my pirated tv shows bring me. because i just fucking love my pirated tv.

Pathetic. I don't claim to be any better.

No, I'm deriding you for the narrowsightedness that is your perspective of morality. Instead of looking at the bigger picture and the actual consequences of the said act of immorality, you simply hate film piracy because it has been deemed "wrong". I mean, I don't want to go all Nietzsche on you, but that's what it is. What does being "wrong" mean?

The best choice is the life-giving one.

You can't have it both ways. Piracy cannot benefit those doing the taking while doing no harm to those whose product is taken.

I obviously don't share your world view of moral relativism. I don't see further conversation proving fruitful.

A recommendation from a friend, I am afraid. I think I get Kevin James and Seth Rogen confused as I really liked that 'Observe And Report' film Seth was in (very subversive humour). Thus I confused Kevin and Seth since Kevin did that 'Paul Blart' film which had a similar poster... ahhh my head is f*cked.

Basically I cocked up and thought I was watching a Seth film - even though his recent films have been arse as well so I shou;d have known better.

• 5 weeks later...

Christoph Waltz and Ang Lee were kind of surprises. I had hoped Helen Hunt would've been a shock win but ah well -can't really fault Anne Hathaway. She put in 20 minutes of solid emoting.

I am amazed 'Brave' bet 'Wreck It Ralph' though. I guess just the name Pixar on top of a film is enough these days.

And finally kudos to Daniel Day Lewis - classy speech!

List of the 85th annual Academy Award winners announced Sunday in Los Angeles:

1. Best Picture: "Argo."

2. Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln."

3. Actress: Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook."

4. Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained."

5. Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables."

6. Directing: Ang Lee, "Life of Pi."

7. Foreign Language Film: "Amour."

8. Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, "Argo."

9. Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Brave."

11. Production Design: "Lincoln."

12. Cinematography: "Life of Pi."

13. Sound Mixing: "Les Miserables."

14. Sound Editing (tie): "Skyfall," ''Zero Dark Thirty."

15. Original Score: "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna.

16. Original Song: "Skyfall" from "Skyfall," Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth.

17. Costume: "Anna Karenina."

18. Documentary Feature: "Searching for Sugar Man."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Inocente."

20. Film Editing: "Argo."

21. Makeup and Hairstyling: "Les Miserables."

22. Animated Short Film: "Paperman."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Curfew."

24. Visual Effects: "Life of Pi."

Waltz was a huge surprise. From a noboby in Hollywood a few years ago to a two-time Oscar win for playing the same character. A lot of people had him 3rd in the race behind de Niro and TLJ.

There was also some surprises in the lesser awards.

Daniel Day-Lewis' Oscar win creates a bit of history as he becomes the first male actor in history to win 3 Best Actor Oscars: (1989 'My Left Foot', 2007 'There Will Be Blood' and 2012 'Lincoln').

Just two other actors have also won 3 Oscars:

Jack Nicholson won 2 Best Actor awards (1975 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest', 1997 ' As Good As It Gets') and 1 Best Supporting Actor (1983 'Terms Of Endearment').

Walter Brennan won 3 Best Supporting Actor awards (1936 'Come and Get It', 1938 'Kentucky' and 1940 'The Westerner' ).

Katherine Hepburn still sets the record for the most Oscar wins of any actor or actress. She won 4 Best Actress Oscars (1933 'Morning Glory', 1967 'Guess Who's Coming To Dinner', 1968 'The Lion In Winter' and 1981 ' On Golden Pond') over a span of 34 years between her 1st and 2nd and almost half a century between her 1st and 4th!

Archived