Movies: 2012 Oscar Bait Edition

Faster

So it is that time of year again all the high culture cinema is coming out and this year doing surprisingly well at the box office.

What have you seen, want to see?

Out of the Oscar bait set. I've seen Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Flight, and Argo. Really looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty and Les Miserable. Probably one of the best trailers I've seen in awhile. Only because of Naomi Watts can The Impossibles be considered Oscar bait but am looking forward to that as well.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen none of the above ...

Les Mis is the only one I'm even really aware of. And never having seen the stage show, not in a rush to see it on screen.

Hold on, I have seen a trailer for Life of Pi. Not interested.

I'm just hanging out for Skyfall (tried to go yesterday, but couldn't get decent seats) and heading back to Middle Earth on Boxing Day.

Lincoln - lofty but boring. The musical "1776" was better in terms of the dramatic device used and told a chapter in American history more entertainingly.

Cloud Atlas - ambitious, entertaining enough. But too long, and after all those 6 stories entertwined, it doesn't pack much of a wallop. It's nearly 3 hours long. Made in Germany; therefore did not use a lot of Hollywood technicians, so I doubt it will get wide Hollywood industry support.

I think LES MIZ will be the one to beat this year. It's got the supertitle "BIG MOVIE OF THE YEAR" written all over it.

That Twilight movie sure is popular. Could it win some Oscars?

Teenage-aimed movies rarely win. Remember, it's the seniors and veterans in the industry who make the nominations and eventually vote on them...which is why it's mostly the more adult-fare that wins. And if they've been displaced and supplanted by young newcomers in the field, then they would resent those productions. And the young'uns will have to earn their stripes until they get to be in positions of power w/in their unions and therefore w/in the Academy's structure.

Teenage-aimed movies rarely win. Remember, it's the seniors and veterans in the industry who make the nominations and eventually vote on them...which is why it's mostly the more adult-fare that wins. And if they've been displaced and supplanted by young newcomers in the field, then they would resent those productions. And the young'uns will have to earn their stripes until they get to be in positions of power w/in their unions and therefore w/in the Academy's structure.

Not really. The two front-runners for Best Actress are Jennifer Lawerance and Jessica Chastain. Both relative new-comers but with previous nominations. Anne Hathaway is also one of the safest locks in any awards category right now. I know someone here will disagree with me on this but I am still having a hard time thinking that Daniel Day-Lewis will win a 3rd award.

Really enjoyed Argo and Skyfall.

Argo -- genre bending, great writing, directing, editing and strong ensemble cast. Will probably be hurt by the fact that it won't score any acting nominations.

I don't see the stodgy Academy types voting for a Bond flick, but Skyfall really was fantastic. Brilliant directing, writing, editing, cinematography, art direction, sound. The performances were pitch-perfect too, but it's not the sort of movie that will get acting nods.

I don't see the stodgy Academy types voting for a Bond flick, but Skyfall really was fantastic. Brilliant directing, writing, editing, cinematography, art direction, sound. The performances were pitch-perfect too, but it's not the sort of movie that will get acting nods.

Yeah, just saw it last night. It won't win an Oscar, but it will win the fans. One of my top three Bonds movies now.

Yeah, just saw it last night. It won't win an Oscar, but it will win the fans. One of my top three Bonds movies now.

It's probably not Best Picture fare, but I wouldn't be surprised if it nabbed one or two of the technical awards.

I just have to say, the marketing has been brilliant as well.

Daniel Craig skydiving into the Olympic Opening Ceremony shortly before the release of a movie titled "Skyfall". Wow. Then add the early release of the Adele single. They set it up perfectly.

Judi Dench is a possibility in Supporting. Her and Maggie Smith are probably gonna be competing for one of the nominations.

Adele should take home the Best Original Song award

I've read speculation that Javier Bardem is a possibility for supporting as well. I wouldn't fancy that chance, but nevertheless he was a bloody great Bond villain.

The men's categories are a little more competitive this year. So its doubtful a Bond villain will get anywhere.

Skyfall was a great Bond movie, it was not great cinema. It didn't make you think, question or engage you on any level deeper then enternainment.

It didn't make you think, question or engage you on any level deeper then enternainment.

oh double barf. faster, that's what books are for. movies with symbolism that make you think too much often fail at this whole "deeper level" litmus test because no one ever gets them the way they get books. look at the imdb message board if you don't believe me. every thread about symbolism is just 100 different people with 100 different interpretations, many of which fail to grasp basic plot elements obvious to others. yes, they make people think but people get it wrong, they get confused, and unless they talk endlessly about movies like you do, they often suffer their confusion in silence afraid of looking intellectually pedestrian if they dare to mention they didn't get what the steam on the frosted glass of the car window in the last scene actually "means."

i hate movies where i feel compelled to go on to imdb to see if i 'got it right,' whatever that means. look how many scare quotes i'm using. i just hate this whole deeper level, cinema pseudo-intellectualism bullshit. movies are pretty people doing interesting things for 2 hours. christ, i'm so over movies.

Judi Dench is a possibility in Supporting. Her and Maggie Smith are probably gonna be competing for one of the nominations.

Adele should take home the Best Original Song award

Ah, yes. Definitely Original Song.

Everybody seems to think this is going to be Anne Hathaway's year for Supporting Actress.

Skyfall was a great Bond movie, it was not great cinema. It didn't make you think, question or engage you on any level deeper then enternainment.

I think it really depends what criteria you're working with. There are so many different kinds of films and so many different kinds of excellence.

Some of my favorite films are of the arty set: Red, White, Blue, Remains of the Day, Tree of Life, etc.

But I also have much warmer, sillier favorites: Bringing Up Baby, Being Julia, Purple Rose of Cairo, Hot Fuzz...

And action/thriller favorites: Taxi Driver, Kill Bill, Collateral, Warrior...

Serious dramas: Hotel Rwanda, Dead Man Walking, Secrets & Lies

Classics: On the Waterfront, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, Rebel Without a Cause

Most of those films got nominations, but very few of them won Best Picture. It's also worth noting that the Academy can be surprising with the breadth of its taste. For every King's Speech there's a Silence of the Lambs.

oh double barf. faster, that's what books are for. movies with symbolism that make you think too much often fail at this whole "deeper level" litmus test because no one ever gets them the way they get books. look at the imdb message board if you don't believe me. every thread about symbolism is just 100 different people with 100 different interpretations, many of which fail to grasp basic plot elements obvious to others. yes, they make people think but people get it wrong, they get confused, and unless they talk endlessly about movies like you do, they often suffer their confusion in silence afraid of looking intellectually pedestrian if they dare to mention they didn't get what the steam on the frosted glass of the car window in the last scene actually "means."

i hate movies where i feel compelled to go on to imdb to see if i 'got it right,' whatever that means. look how many scare quotes i'm using. i just hate this whole deeper level, cinema pseudo-intellectualism bullshit. movies are pretty people doing interesting things for 2 hours. christ, i'm so over movies.

I really hope you meant this as irony.

I think this is a year the Academy will be happy about.

They will be able to give lots of technical nominations to films like The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall. Have one of the biggest names in music right now at the ceremony. And main contenders are all or will likely do big box office.

And if The Hobbit is of a quality of the original trilogy you will add a blockbuster to the mix.

And how assured that an Oscar quality song will win? I'm not familiar how the Academy criteria works , but Skyfall sounds like a winning song , + critics love for Adele + this record is on the charts . =|

Archived