Larry Hagman

gotosy

Larry Hagman, legendary actor who played J.R. Ewing of 'Dallas,' dies at 81

Larry Hagman, who television viewers loved to hate as greedy, scheming J.R. Ewing in the hit show “Dallas,” died Friday in the city of the same name. He was 81.

The cause of death was complications from cancer, the Dallas Morning News reported.

“Larry was back in his beloved Dallas, reenacting the iconic role he loved most,” his family said in a statement cited by the newspaper.

“Larry’s family and close friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday. When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for.”

hagman-jeannie.jpg

one of my favourite TV series ...I dream of Jeannie

RIP Major Nelson

I was a big fan of the original Dallas series (much superior to its later rival, Dynasty) largely because of Larry Hagman's performance as JR Ewing, one of the all-time great TV villains along with an excellent supporting cast of characters. Who can ever forget the 'Who Shot JR?' cliffhanger that thrilled so many Dallas fans and even made newspaper headlines back in 1981?

I recently watched the latest Dallas update series with some trepidation remembering the great original but was pleasantly surprised to find it much better than I had feared and this was largely down to the return of some of the original characters especially JR. Although Hagman had clearly aged and didn't look too well and only made limited appearances, he immediately took centre-stage all over again whenever he was on screen. Difficult to imagine how they can carry on without him!

So farewell and RIP Larry Hagman/JR Ewing and thanks for the memories!

Larry_Hagman_as_JR.jpg

Archived