2023 Asian Games

gotosy

Thailand may host 2023 Asian Games

Yesterday, on a day when Fifa decided not to allow the use of the Bangkok Futsal Arena for the ongoing World Cup, Thailand said it wanted host the 2023 Asian Games, with Pattaya or Chiang Mai as the host city.

Gen Yutthasak Sasiprabha, president of the National Olympic Committee of Thailand, said that during a meeting of the Olympic Council of Asia this week in Macau, he will have an informal talk with OCA chief Sheikh Ahmad Fahad Al-Sabah about Thailand's interest to host the 19th Asian Games.

"We want to express our interest in organising the Games," Yutthasak said.

"After that we will talk to him again when we visit his country [Kuwait] by the end of the year."

Thailand has hosted a record four Asian Games with the most recent in 1998.

Meanwhile, the host city of the 18th Asian Games in 2019 will be picked in a vote at the OCA general meeting assembly tomorrow with the candidates being Surabaya (Indonesia), Hanoi (Vietnam) and Dubai (United Arab Emirates).

The 17th Asian Games will be held in Incheon, South Korea next year.

http://www.bangkokpo...m/print/319890/

A joint-city bid for the 2023 Asian Games was ruled out by the head of the Olympic Council of Asia yesterday after Hanoi was declared the winner of the 2019 edition, defeating Indonesia's Surabaya in a tight race.

There were suggestions from certain sections of the OCA previously that a joint bid by Hong Kong, Macau and Shenzhen for the 2023 Games might be attractive and cost-saving.

But Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Sabah, the OCA president, said preference would always be given to a single city.

"Usually a big multi-sports event like the Olympics or the Asian Games should be held in one city. If that city has problems hosting any particular sport, like Beijing did with equestrian [at the 2008 Olympics], then maybe another city could come into the picture. But I prefer one city," Sheikh Ahmad said,

Hong Kong had hoped to bid for the 2019 Games but the proposal was shot down by Legco, which said it was too expensive and the money would be better spent elsewhere.

A 2023 bid is still a possibility but Hong Kong's Olympic chief, Timothy Fok Tsun-ting, has sought to downplay any such moves, preferring to test the water in Macau in the past couple of days.

"It would be nice if other countries want us to bid for the 2023 Games. But we will have to wait and see. It is still too early to decide," Fok said before the 31st OCA General Assembly got under way yesterday.

Hong Kong's hopes of a successful 2023 bid looked more remote after Dubai, a candidate for the 2019 Games, officially withdrew its bid before the 44 countries in the OCA - India was absent - began to vote, with Sheikh Ahmad saying Dubai would bid in the future.

Dubai's pull-out from the 2019 race could mean that a decision has been done behind closed doors for the city to host the 2023 Games.

Dubai's original proposal was also a shared bid with other cities in the United Arab Emirates, including Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.

Before the voting was counted, Sheikh Ahmad said the loser would have the choice of hosting the 2021 Asian Youth Games. Surabaya accepted, but it was small consolation.

"We all knew beforehand that we would not win," said a disgruntled member of the Indonesian delegation. "This result did not come as a shock to us."

http://www.scmp.com/...sian-games-2019

Dubai urged to bid for 2023 Asian Games

Olympic Committee of Asia (OCA) president Sheikh Ahmad Al Fahad Al Sabah has urged Dubai to bid for the 2023 Asian Games despite their 11th-hour withdrawal to enter the race to stage the 2019 event.

Dubai welcomed the OCA Evaluation Committee to the UAE just last month, but decided not to follow up their interest, resulting in a two-bid race won by Hanoi.

The OCA did not confirm Dubai’s decision until the morning of Thursday’s vote, but the confusion will not affect their chances of hosting future OCA events.

“I think Dubai should bid for the next Games,” Sheikh Ahmad said. “They already have all the infrastructure, there is not a shortage of anything so hosting not only the Asian Games, but also bigger events would be possible. For that I hope they will bid for the next Games in Asia or another event.”

A potential bid for the Olympics in 2024 could be on the cards, but the OCA President has no doubt they can stage Asia’s big event. “I cannot speak on behalf of Dubai, but my personal opinion is that they are ready to host the Games,” he said.

“But to show interest is not my duty, they have their NOC, their government. But as the president of the OCA I am sure they are capable and ready to host any games. That has to be by their resolution not my resolution.”

Sheikh Ahmad did, though, acknowledge it was a shame that the Games were denied the chance of a return to West Asia. “We go to Hanoi after two Games in East Asia, in Guangzhou and Incheon, and we have to maintain our level of the Games for the future,” he added.

However, the Kuwaiti was sure the Games in Vietnam in seven years will prove to be a success. “I trust all cities of Asia, I trust myself as the President of the organisation that when we work we work very hard,” said Sheikh Ahmad. “I am not worried, I remember some cities before when a lot of media was doubting whether they could deliver a good Games.

“But because of all the practice and co-operation with them and us, I think in the end the Games in those cities were very successful and people were surprised with that success. For that I think Hanoi is capable.”

http://www.sport360....023-asian-games

After Hanoi got the 2019 edition (which I still find a bit hard to believe but i'm starting to accept it) I think Bangkok chances are very low, since I don't see the OCA awarding the Asian Games to a Southeast asian country so soon. (not mentioning Bangkok has hosted the Asiad too many times already)

But again, China and Korea are in the East Asian region, so anything goes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...