Will greece have a chance of hosting the winter olympics?

artist1993

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only if Mt. Olympus is at least 800m high!! :lol:

In that Balkan region, I think countries like Croatia, Slovenia would have better chances of hosting a WOG because they have the right challenging mountains for it. I believe Greece doesn't have the right kind of Alpine mountains necessary for the downhills and the slaloms. And I've never seen them included in the championship circuits. And figure skating isn't even a big sport there either.

But it would be nice to see Spartan formations in an Opening Ceremony ;) and no Dmitris Papaioannou, please!!

As Rol's said, Greece's financial situation precludes any bidding for anything for quite some time. They aren't a winter sports power and don't seem to play any role in circuits of the various winter sports. So it doesn't seem likely.

That said, I love Greece and would love to go back.

As for Baron's comment, I'd pay to see anything Pappaioannou did. I think he's incredible.

Greece has no interest in winter sports. There is not even on ice rink. Its more possible to be another summer Olympics in Athens in the future rather than winter olympics

Well, I'm sick of the fact that the winter olympics were first held in france, and were never held in greece.

Well, I'm sick of the fact that the winter olympics were first held in france, and were never held in greece.

Well, there's a lot that's "unfair" - or at least restrictive - about the Winter Games. There's only a handful of countries around the world that can physically organise them. There's a lot of winter sports powers with far stronger winter sports pedigrees than Greece - think Finland or Sweden - who haven't hosted yet either and may never host because of their geographic challenges.

This is a ski resort in greece

There's certainly a few, from my check just then. I can't find any details however, if any of them have the all important 800m vertical drop absolutely required by the FIS for any prospective Olympic host. It doesn't look to me like any do.

Well Athens 2004 was in many ways a failure. Plus the financial 'issues' - I doubt they will host another Summer or Winter games in any of our lifetimes.

What?

Here are Athens' weaknesses: Low ticket sales and poor legacy planning. The low ticket sales were largely the fault of the media who insisted Greece wasn't ready and was vulnerable to terrorism. The poor legacy planning was the fault of the bureaucrats who frittered the first 3 years away before Gianna got things back on track. I don't think that justifies saying that Athens "was in many ways a failure."

The venues were gorgeous, the transportation outstanding, the organization slick and smooth, the competition superb, the security impressive, but not intrusive, the ceremonies magical, the setting -- the perfect homecoming for the Games.

Oh boo-hoo. Since when was Greece a winter nation? They barely coped with winter in ancient Greece; what more in recent times? Also, remember that as early as Paris 1900, figure skating events were planned (at the Palais de Glace), however those did not come to fruition until London 1908. (Again, that Paris-London dichotomy there.) And then hockey events were competed n Antwerp 1920. And while there was talk of setting up the Winter Olympic Games in 1910-21 (interrupted by WW1), the Scandinavians strongly objected because they felt their Nordic Games, held every 4 years since 1901, were threatened.

Further, Chamonix 1924 only became the inaugural Winter Olympic Games retroactively. If any nation(s) should feel aggrieved about not having staged the 1st Winter Games, it certainly wouldn't be Greece; it would be either Norway or Sweden; most certainly NOT Hellas! So what are u b*tching about??

What?

Here are Athens' weaknesses: Low ticket sales and poor legacy planning. The low ticket sales were largely the fault of the media who insisted Greece wasn't ready and was vulnerable to terrorism. The poor legacy planning was the fault of the bureaucrats who frittered the first 3 years away before Gianna got things back on track. I don't think that justifies saying that Athens "was in many ways a failure."

The venues were gorgeous, the transportation outstanding, the organization slick and smooth, the competition superb, the security impressive, but not intrusive, the ceremonies magical, the setting -- the perfect homecoming for the Games.

280nn20.jpg

Are you actually sick of that fact or is that just something that's nice to say on an Internet forum? Greece is not a winter sports nation. Never has been and probably never will be. There are plenty more deserving cities and countries that should get a Winter Olympics before Greece should merit serious consideration.

"perfect homecoming" probably isn't the way to describe the 2004 Olympics if you're going to put any consideration into the aftermath. It was hardly the sole reason that Greece is in an economic crisis right now, but it certainly didn't help. And if poor legacy planning was a weakness, then yes, that makes the Athens Olympics in many ways a failure. It's all well and good to say it was a magical setting and that the Olympics themselves went off without a hitch. But that would be like saying the 1976 Olympics were great and then ignoring the after-effects it had on the city of Montreal. How are cities like Barcelona and Los Angeles and Sydney doing with their post-Olympic legacy? That has to be a part of the equation when you're measuring the success of an Olympics. In that regard, Athens was far from perfect and I hope for the citizens of the country (of which I know at least a couple), it is not a burden on them for decades to come.

Archived