Star Wars VII / Star Wars VIII / Star Wars IX

Hollywood Reporter: Disney to buy Lucasfilm for $4.05 Billion; New "Star Wars" Movie Set for 2015

George Lucas talked always about nine Star Wars movies in the seventies - later he reduced it to six movies - today the sequel was announced for 2015!

Forbes: Three Options For A New Star Wars Trilogy

I have to say that I like the idea of the first option...

spoiler .....

Over the next decade, Skywalker helped keep peace throughout the galaxy as the New Republic slowly defeated small remnants of the Empire. When Palpatine returned in the form of several clone bodies, Luke temporarily fell to the dark side and became the resurrectedEmperor's apprentice but was later redeemed with the help of his friends, and he continued with his goal of reviving the Jedi Order.

spoiler.....

wow:D

I didn't necessarily hate 1-3 - I even quite liked III. But I'm inclined to think it should all be left alone now.

108774624-260x260-0-0_starwars+darth+vader+mickey+mouse+star+wars+weeken.jpg

I agree...and Star Wars already has their ride in Disneyland anyway...the Space Mountain ride. So that should be enough. Not unless its "The Muppets Kill the Storm Warriors!" (since Disney also owns the rights to the Muppets). (I should never have sold my early Disney stocks!!)

Lucas to donate most of proceeds of sale to charity:

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Lucas plans to quickly put the bulk of the money (part of the sale of Lucasfilm to the Walt Disney company) into a foundation that will primarily focus on educational issues, a spokesperson for Lucasfilm tells THR.

“George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors.”

It’s not yet clear which foundation will get the proceeds. Lucas is currently the chairman of Edutopia, which is part of the George Lucas Educational Foundation. He could put money into that or create a new foundation that would be funded from the sale.

The spokesperson noted that this “announcement continues a commitment that Lucas made in 2010 to The Giving Pledge.

In 2010, Lucas signed the Warren Buffett and Bill Gates Giving Pledge, which commits participants “to giving the majority of their wealth to the philanthropic causes and charitable organizations of their choice either during their lifetime or after their death.”

http://blog.sfgate.c...4-billion-haul/

I agree...and Star Wars already has their ride in Disneyland anyway...the Space Mountain ride. So that should be enough. Not unless its "The Muppets Kill the Storm Warriors!" (since Disney also owns the rights to the Muppets). (I should never have sold my early Disney stocks!!)

You weren't to know Steamboat Willie would be such a huge success old chap.

The arc of the core Skywalker story is done, though. It's hard to imagine any future release fitting comfortably within that arc and feeling like a proper "Episode" and not like another throwaway venture-- like the hosts of official animated series, books, etc. that have been released for years now.

I wonder, if these three new episode movies would be based on the Timothy Zahn novels: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command?

I'm under that impression as well...Lucas did say his 'approved' authors had a free hand in the post ROTJ future. Like many Gen Xers out there, I'm kind of in the 'enough' camp for now. As long as that hideous Christmas Special never finds itself on the DVD shelves.

Hollywood scribe Michael Arndt will write the next instalment in the Star Wars series, Lucasfilm has confirmed.

Arndt won an Oscar for best original screenplay for the 2006 comedy Little Miss Sunshine. His screenplay for Toy Story 3 was nominated for best adapted screenplay in 2010.

He has also co-written the second film in the Hunger Games trilogy.

According to the Hollywod Reporter, the latest Star Wars story will focus on a new generation of heroes.

However, there could be appearances by actors Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in older incarnations of their characters - Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia - from the original Star Wars trilogy.

Harrison Ford, who played space smuggler Han Solo, is also reportedto be interested in reprising his role.

Ford's Hollywood star rose with his appearances in the three Star Wars film, which he followed up with his role as archaeologist adventurer Indiana Jones and films including with The Fugitive and his Oscar-nominated turn in Witness.

Hamill is an in-demand voice actor and Fisher, who struggled with drug addictions throughout the 1970s, is a successful novelist and screenwriter.

In October, it was announced that Disney had bought George Lucas's Lucasfilms company for a reported $4.05 billion (£2.5bn) and was committed to producing three new films.

George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy will produce the films but have yet to hire a director for the project.

Pixar alumnus Brad Bird has been touted in the movie press as has British director of Kick-Ass, Matthew Vaughn.

Star Wars: Episode 7, the next film in the franchise is due to be released in 2015.

• 1 year later...

Star Wars: Episode VII Cast Revealed: Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill Confirmed

1398791846_star-wars-article.jpg

Original Star Wars stars Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), and Kenny Baker (R2-D2) are confirmed to appear in the much-anticipated sequel, the Star Wars team announced on Tuesday, April 29. They'll be joined by John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac, Lord of the Rings' Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar winner Max von Sydow, and Girls' Adam Driver.

"We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII," director Abrams said in a statement about the news. "It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make fans proud."

Due to arrive in theaters in December 2015, Star Wars: Episode VII is the first of three brand-new installments to come. As previously reported, it's set 30 years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

They firmed up the Cast...BUT the question is, Where are the Girls?! (Apart from Leia and daughter)

Throughout the Movie saga there has only been one main female character, and it's been a mother/daughter combo. Secondary cast for VII, there's nothing...

Even Peter Jackson saw this hindrance for The Hobbit trilogy saying it's just not the thing to have no females in the cast.

I hope the sequel will become better than the prequel - I was quite disappointed by Star Wars I-III

CAF, I, II, were not the greatest dialog BUT what it did show was how far special effects had come. III was the best of them because it was the fall of the Jedi. The best of them all is, hands down, Ep 5, Empire Strikes Back.

• 1 month later...

Lupita Nyong'o joins 'Star Wars' cast

NEW YORK (AP) — Three months after winning an Oscar, Lupita Nyong'o is going to a galaxy far, far away.

The Walt Disney Co. announced Monday that Nyong'o is joining the cast of "Star Wars: Episode VII." The 31-year-old actress became a breakthrough star for her award-winning performance in "12 Years a Slave."

Also added to the cast was Gwendoline Christie, best known for playing the hulking Brienne of Tarth on HBO's "Game of Thrones."

When the principal cast of "Episode VII" was announced last month, the lack of women raised some eyebrows. Nyong'o and Christie join an ensemble that includes John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac and Andy Serkis.

Production is underway for the movie, which is being directed by J.J. Abrams. It's slated to open in December 2015.

AP

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lupita-nyongo-joins-star-wars-cast

Its great to see Abrams using "dirty future" thinking and using CG very sparingly, reminding everyone of a long post civil war era of slow reconstruction.

We gonna see the original trilogy feel to this one...

So looking foward to it.

TMZ published some pics from the set in Abu Dhabi

TMZ: Star Wars VII Set Photos - Super-Secret Pics & Spoilers from the Set

CAF, I, II, were not the greatest dialog BUT what it did show was how far special effects had come. III was the best of them because it was the fall of the Jedi. The best of them all is, hands down, Ep 5, Empire Strikes Back.

You are right with the Special Effects - of course movies of the 70s/80s/90s are totally old fashioned concerning S.E. - And I agree "The Empire Strikes Back" is the best story wise and suspense wise!

Harrison Ford breaks ankle on Star Wars film set at Pinewood studios

Harrison Ford is being treated in hospital after being injured on the set of the latest Star Wars film.

The BBC understands that Ford, 71, broke his ankle in an incident involving a door at Pinewood Studios.

The Hollywood actor, who starred as Han Solo in the original three Star Wars films and is currently filming the new Episode VII sequel, was airlifted to John Radcliffe Hospital, in Oxford.

A spokesman for Lucasfilm said filming would continue while he recuperates.

"Harrison Ford sustained an ankle injury during filming today on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII. He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving care.

"Shooting will continue as planned while he recuperates," a statement from the production company Lucasfilm said on Thursday night.

BBC

Harrison Ford breaks ankle on Star Wars film set at Pinewood studios

Harrison Ford is being treated in hospital after being injured on the set of the latest Star Wars film.

The BBC understands that Ford, 71, broke his ankle in an incident involving a door at Pinewood Studios.

The Hollywood actor, who starred as Han Solo in the original three Star Wars films and is currently filming the new Episode VII sequel, was airlifted to John Radcliffe Hospital, in Oxford.

A spokesman for Lucasfilm said filming would continue while he recuperates.

"Harrison Ford sustained an ankle injury during filming today on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII. He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving care.

"Shooting will continue as planned while he recuperates," a statement from the production company Lucasfilm said on Thursday night.

BBC

He's been held for further checks...He's hurt a lot more that they, his publicity team, is letting on.

We gotta remember Ford is 71 years young. Those bones aren't so strong anymore...a reminder for everyone that Han can't move as fast as he could during the victorious Rebellion War.

• 4 months later...

Archived