PyeongChang 2018 Venues

1 hour ago, gotosy said:

The POCOG also vowed to minimize the damage to Mt. Gariwang, where the alpine ski slope is constructed, and announced it will restore the natural habitat there once the Games end.

Make a note of that claim, and we'll see how well the good intentions are being realised in five years' time.

3 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they put a taco restaurant somewhere up on Mount Gariwang.

That would be awesome. I think the Rio games were awesome, and don't understand a lot of the negative comments about Rio in this thread. But they really dropped the ball on food Hopefully, PyeongChang will fix that. 

nielsen-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (IBSF) President Ivo Ferriani has warned that changes must be made to the newly constructed Pyeongchang 2018 sliding venue in order to resolve outstanding safety issues.

This follows the publishing this week of a report, written following initial "stress" testing in August, in which various problems with the Alpensia Sliding Center were identified.

The report was carried-out by internal and external experts from the IBSF and the International Luge Federation.

Among the recommendations was a call for five new pumps to be installed onto the course in order to resolve icing problems with existing ones.

Only two of these have so far been introduced, mainly due to time issues ahead of further testing scheduled for later this month.

Concerns were also raised with the placement of sprinkler systems near to cooling plants along the course due to the risk of explosion.

Sprinklers are required under South Korean law but are considered a safety risk by European experts.

Better communication and leadership between the Organising Committee and Gangwon Provincial authorities over the facility was also proposed.

"Safety issues must be resolved," said Ferriani here today on the opening morning of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Coordination Commission inspection.

"None of our concerns our major, but they must be resolved."

The new sliding track, standing at exactly 2,018 metres long, is due to undergo pre-homogulation testing from October 24 to 30 ahead of official training weeks planned for February and March next year.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1042315/ferriani-warns-safety-issues-must-be-addressed-at-pyeongchang-2018-sliding-centre-as-ioc-inspection-begins

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1042347/exclusive-pyeongchang-2018-warned-promotion-and-legacy-plans-must-improve-to-avoid-harming-image-of-games

Key word here is legacy. Read between the lines and I think there are those in the IOC that fear Pyeongchang is shaping be Sochi Part 2. While the costs might not get that high, one look at the venues and this shaping up to be an Olympics where almost every venue ends up a white elephant. Another repeat of something along the lines of Sochi could scare the traditional European winter powers away from the WOGs for good. The Koreans have a horrible track record when it comes to legacy venues (World Cup, Asian Games)

On 06/10/2016 at 2:50 PM, stryker said:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1042347/exclusive-pyeongchang-2018-warned-promotion-and-legacy-plans-must-improve-to-avoid-harming-image-of-games

Key word here is legacy. Read between the lines and I think there are those in the IOC that fear Pyeongchang is shaping be Sochi Part 2. While the costs might not get that high, one look at the venues and this shaping up to be an Olympics where almost every venue ends up a white elephant.

That's not quite what's happening in Sochi. Hotel occupancy in Krasnaya Polyana last winter was around 70%, and it's also becoming a popular summer hiking destination. The coastal facilities are still struggling, but even those have increased from 30% in 2014 to 40% in 2016. There's a KHL ice-hockey team based in the Bolshoy Ice Dome; the Iceberg Skating Palace has hosted "Carmen" on ice throughout this summer; the Fisht Stadium is, like London's, taking a very long time to convert for football; three F1 Grand Prix races have now been held in the Olympic Park, etc.

They're moving very fast with the ceremonies venue. I'm just kind of worried the space for the performances won't be too small. Since its a temporary venue unlike others I guess this would have special features depending of what the producers decided to make for the show. 

22 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

They're moving very fast with the ceremonies venue. I'm just kind of worried the space for the performances won't be too small. Since its a temporary venue unlike others I guess this would have special features depending of what the producers decided to make for the show. 

Check the size of the truck :) 

i think it'll be fine 

r8g_Kf8_P.jpgphoto upload sites

• Like 1

That's good to hear. According to the pic the space seems to still be enough for a good show. Also it seems it will be very intimate as you say and i'm sure it will be enjoyed equally by both those in the stadium and the TV watchers. 

Here are some more pics of the venues constructions which seems to be a bit more updated (taken in late September), starting with the ceremonies stadium

http://www.pyeongchang2018.com/horizon/kor/media/photo_list.asp?hb_BoardManager_ID=BDFFFF13#

board_61492_16547_thumb.jpg

board_61491_16546_thumb.jpg

board_61490_16545_thumb.jpg

board_61488_16543_thumb.jpg

board_61486_16542_thumb.jpg

board_61487_16541_thumb.jpg

board_61483_16540_thumb.jpg

board_61485_16539_thumb.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:37 PM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

That's not quite what's happening in Sochi. Hotel occupancy in Krasnaya Polyana last winter was around 70%, and it's also becoming a popular summer hiking destination. The coastal facilities are still struggling, but even those have increased from 30% in 2014 to 40% in 2016. There's a KHL ice-hockey team based in the Bolshoy Ice Dome; the Iceberg Skating Palace has hosted "Carmen" on ice throughout this summer; the Fisht Stadium is, like London's, taking a very long time to convert for football; three F1 Grand Prix races have now been held in the Olympic Park, etc.

Sochi has generally always been a summer resort. The coastal venues have been a near disaster in terms of white elephants. Fisht Stadium is being converted for football but the stadium was constructed with no permanent tenant. In the original plans, only the Bolshoy Ice Dome was set to be a permanent venue. The Iceberg Palace and Shayba Arena were supposed to be temporary venues that would be relocated later. The Adler Speed Skating Arena was supposed to be converted into an exhibition hall (never happened). Carmen on ice and an annual F1 race don't make up near the amount of money for any of these facilities to turn a profit. Then again, it's not like one party dictatorships (Russia and China) really care about legacy anyway.

• 3 weeks later...