PyeongChang 2018 Venues

Ice Hockey II venue to be set up at Kwandong University

October 28 - The PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (POCOG) executive committee has concluded that the Ice Hockey II venue will be set up at Kwandong University.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) concluded that the initially proposed venue at the Gangneung Yeongdong College was too confined to host the ice hockey competitions. Earlier this summer POCOG President Jin-sun Kim together with Gangwon Governor Moon-soon Choi announced the IOC assessment.

There were two universities that put forward bids (Gangneung Wonju University and Kwandong University) to house the ice hockey event so POCOG carried out an exhaustive perusal of each one with experts from six different fields, such as operation, construction, civil engineering, environment, transportation and post-Games management.

During the executive committee meeting both schools presented their proposals followed by and question and answer session. The POCOG executive committee is made up of 20 members and 17 were present for the decision where Kwandong University earned the majority of the votes.

This made the last decision for the locations of all the six newly built facilities and POCOG is going forward with their construction plans.

October 28 - The PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (POCOG) executive committee has concluded that the Ice Hockey II venue will be set up at Kwandong University.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) concluded that the initially proposed venue at the Gangneung Yeongdong College was too confined to host the ice hockey competitions. Earlier this summer POCOG President Jin-sun Kim together with Gangwon Governor Moon-soon Choi announced the IOC assessment.

There were two universities that put forward bids (Gangneung Wonju University and Kwandong University) to house the ice hockey event so POCOG carried out an exhaustive perusal of each one with experts from six different fields, such as operation, construction, civil engineering, environment, transportation and post-Games management.

During the executive committee meeting both schools presented their proposals followed by and question and answer session. The POCOG executive committee is made up of 20 members and 17 were present for the decision where Kwandong University earned the majority of the votes.

This made the last decision for the locations of all the six newly built facilities and POCOG is going forward with their construction plans.

http://www.sportsfea...dong-university

• 3 months later...

Rogge Visits PyeongChang 2018 Venues

As part of his official visit to the Republic of Korea, International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge has paid a visit to some of the venues that will host events during the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games. On Thursday, Rogge was given a presentation of the venues in Gangneung, which will host the ice events in 2018, and visited a Special Olympics event that was being held in what will be the curling venue at Games time. On Friday, the President was briefed about the Alpensia cluster – which will host the snow and sliding events - before visiting a few of the venues.

Speaking after the visits, Rogge commented: “PyeongChang 2018 has made great progress since it was elected in Durban in 2011. The venue concept for 2018 has been finalised, and having seen it firsthand over the past few days, I am confident that the athletes will be impressed by its compactness. With some of the venues already in use, PyeongChang is on the right track to delivering its Games vision in 2018.”

In Gangneung, the IOC President heard from the Secretary General of the PyeongChang 2018 Organising Committee (POCOG), Dong Hoo Moon, about the plans for the different ice venues that will be built for the Games. These included the ice skating and short track venue, the speed skating venue, and both ice hockey venues. The President then attended a Special Olympics short track skating event before visiting the site of the Gangneung Olympic and media villages.

Following an in-depth briefing on the Alpensia cluster, President Rogge was able to visit a few of the sports venues that are already in existence. These included the ski jumping, Alpine technical, and snowboard and freestyle venues. With a lot of snow on the ground in PyeongChang, it was not difficult to imagine the athletes competing in these venues in 2018.

IOC

• 2 months later...
2018 Pyeongchang Speedskating Arena Proposal / Idea Image Institute of Architects

514a7260b3fc4b095e00000b_2018-pyeongchan

As the main ice sports facility for the 2018 Pyeongchang winter olympic games, the master plan proposal by Idea Image Institute of Architects (IIIA) has expressed local natural specific characteristics which is very beautiful and clean based on the New horizons, which is the vision of 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic games. Their design concept for the speed skating arena has beautiful shapes inspired by dynamic movement of speed skaters.

http://www.archdaily.com/347560/2018-pyeongchang-speedskating-arena-proposal-idea-image-institute-of-architects/

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

514a7293b3fc4b3f6c000007_2018-pyeongchan

This ones is interesting and gives a general arrangement of the buildings and their functions, including post olympic use.

Has a winner been selected for this competition ?

Edited by hektor

I think that four years and a half before the Games PyeongChang 2018 is still shrouded is mystery.

We still don't know what the venues will look like or even where some of them will be located. For instance I have no idea of the exact location of Ice Hockey II ?

Of course the POCOG and the IOC know, but from the data publicly available we know very little.

Edited by hektor

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a far shot view of the site of the Opening Ceremony, where a temporary 50,000 seat stadium will be built.

http://cfile227.uf.daum.net/image/2229BB4C527F825E0131D7

A lot of work needs to be done, only 4 years to go.

Thanks pcpcpc! I love the look of the temporary Union Hockey Centre. Any chance they will convert that into a park once the arena is removed? Since that arena will be sandwiched between two other permanent skating arenas, they can put a little green space in between the two other permanent arenas.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics, pcpcpc12!

All of those renders look great, but something about the Speed Skating Stadium in post #15 catches my eye above the others... perhaps it's the 'glow-from-within' effect on the render.

Not sure how great it will look on a cloudy day, but it should really light up at night. Nice job, Pyeongchang! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I luv the Speedskating and (male) Hockey arenas but I hope they won't be putting "PyeongChang 2018" on all of them. #1 - Not all of them will be in PC proper; and #2 - it's kinda redundant. (I know those stupid Russkies are doing it. No reason to repeat.)

Actually they will have to put "PyeongChang 2018" everywhere, because I've been following in different channels in TV and internet the Sochi Games. I've heard several times how the stupid sports commentators say "PyongYang 2018". Even worse, a few of them have said this is in North Korea! :blink:

I wouldn't be surprise if the two Koreas don't go together, we'll see many South Korean flags be unfolded.

I went to the PyeongChang house, but the display was not very helpful. No way to figure out where the venues are located precisely, especially Ice Hockey II.

There was a very nice drawing of the Ceremonies arena, and the cauldron part looks exactly like the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. So I assume this was a kind of notional sketch and not at all like the real thing.