PyeongChang 2018 Venues

2 hours ago, stryker said:

So much for the Ceremonies Stadium being a temporary structure. Seems the local government is struggling to find a use for it. All this could've been avoided had Pyeongchang elected to use the ski jump stadium for the ceremonies. Would've saved money. I know there was concerns about clashing with ski jumping practice, but if Lillehammer could make it work, so could Pyeongchang. Another reason why the IOC is struggling to attract contenders for WOGs.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3036353

The crazy thing is, if they'd made Gangneung the nominal host city, with PyeongChang just a subsidiary mountain cluster, they would not have had to build a ceremonial arena. But then they wouldn't have been able to play media games with the name of the North Korean capital ...

• Like 1

Apparently it's not just the ceremonies stadium with problems. Only three of the Gangneung arenas have planned uses after the Olympics and they are not likely to make a profit. Combine that with the stadium issues and this looks like another Sochi, albeit at a lower cost, but enough to probably swing potential referendums in 2026 candidates to the no column. Seriously, if South Korea wanted the WOGs, why not just bid with Seoul?

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3036400&cloc=joongangdaily|home|online

The post game setting of the Olympic Arena reminds me of how the Albertville Ceremonies Theatre looks today.

1324066.jpg

I hope they go with that idea, because who wants a White Elephant standing there without doing anything after the games end

• 2 weeks later...

In all the pictures of the Gangneung olympic park there's a huge track and field stadium already there? Why not have the ceremonies there? Why build a temporary stadium purely for the ceremonies? Waste of money. 

Other than that, it's nice everything is being completed on time. Yes, I'm worried about legacy, but I don't think it will be a huge public thing. Seoul '88 didn't have the best legacy but no one cares. Nothing has gone catastrophic and it doesn't look like the games will be moved so quite frankly the media won't give a damn about legacy. Hell, North Korea might even bomb some of the venues out of existence in a few years too.

18 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

In all the pictures of the Gangneung olympic park there's a huge track and field stadium already there? Why not have the ceremonies there? Why build a temporary stadium purely for the ceremonies? Waste of money. 

Other than that, it's nice everything is being completed on time. Yes, I'm worried about legacy, but I don't think it will be a huge public thing. Seoul '88 didn't have the best legacy but no one cares. Nothing has gone catastrophic and it doesn't look like the games will be moved so quite frankly the media won't give a damn about legacy. Hell, North Korea might even bomb some of the venues out of existence in a few years too.

The landscape is a lot different than it was after Seoul. The WOGs are almost on life support with the amount of animosity since Sochi. If Pyeongchang follows with a ton of white elephants as they are set to do, then it's reasonable to say the 2026 bids from Calgary, Innsbruck, and Sion will all collapse. 

46 minutes ago, stryker said:

The landscape is a lot different than it was after Seoul. The WOGs are almost on life support with the amount of animosity since Sochi. If Pyeongchang follows with a ton of white elephants as they are set to do, then it's reasonable to say the 2026 bids from Calgary, Innsbruck, and Sion will all collapse. 

If those bid organizers are smart they'd point to the LA and Paris bids to show that you can host an olympics on the cheap. 

God, the IOC really should've voted for Munich.

9 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

If those bid organizers are smart they'd point to the LA and Paris bids to show that you can host an olympics on the cheap. 

I agree, but the public perception against the Olympics is too strong because of the evidence in the likes of Sochi, Rio, Athens. And I think the opponents of an Olympics in the likes of Calgary, Sion, and Innsbruck would point to the proposed budgets of an Olympic host and then the actual budget. In an era where the public is highly skeptical of public spending, it's hard to see how simply pointing to Paris and LA would be enough to win over public opinion

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 11:48 AM, mr.bernham said:

God, the IOC really should've voted for Munich.

Oh yea would have been a smart idea, giving the games to a bid where over half of the population of the area for the outdoor events location did not want the games and would fight the government tooth and nail before their land were to be used. Garmisch was a massive question mark for the Munich bid and that led them to their downfall. They have themselves to blame for not doing a better job at convincing the locals to host Olympic events there.

5 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Oh yea would have been a smart idea, giving the games to a bid where over half of the population of the area for the outdoor events location did not want the games and would fight the government tooth and nail before their land were to be used. Garmisch was a massive question mark for the Munich bid and that led them to their downfall. They have themselves to blame for not doing a better job at convincing the locals to host Olympic events there.

You're right. I just really wanna see a post Cold War German games. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's all OK with the Olympic Games venues in South Korea. I only see as worrisome the political and military gambling around the Games. Furthermore, some people may be just scared to go to South Korea at all. So I was not at all surprised to come across this letter   
http://forums.cfl.ca/cfl-talk/1/security-in-pyeongchang-became-a-well-kept-secret/105180/new#new

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/8/2017 at 6:46 PM, Ikarus360 said:

The post game setting of the Olympic Arena reminds me of how the Albertville Ceremonies Theatre looks today.

1324066.jpg

I hope they go with that idea, because who wants a White Elephant standing there without doing anything after the games end

In fact this place in Albertville is used to host outdoor exhibition and other events like circus, funfair etc. Around this place it's a sport park. They keeped this mast for the memory. 

In Albertville venues aren't become white elephant but in Grenoble (1968) some of them are become, like the ski jump hill and bobsleigh track... Albertville has been a success for the legacy. 

• 2 weeks later...

From all that I see via television coverage, PeyongChang has does a masterful job in presenting this Olympic Winter games,  The venues are impressive and even spectacular.  There appear to be no significant problems with any venue and it appears these are truly winter games in a winter climate with fresh snow almost daily and cold, crisp days with brilliantly blue skies.  Its a far cry from Sochi where air temps sometimes  reached summertime highs during several days and Alpine events were held on melting snow.  The spectacular PeyongChang scenery, the thoughtful amenities provided at each venue to make events more "user friendly" for the participants, the outstanding maintenance at each venue--it all adds up to a remarkably professional and positive Olympic experience.  Just watching young attendants clearing the ice of flowers and other gifts tossed to the skaters, or holding gates and doors for athletes as they arrive or depart a venue, or sweeping the shooting mats on the biathlon course--the list goes on.  South Korea evidently has considered every aspect of of successful Olympic experience.  It appears that in a crazy world PeyongChang has masterfully create a truly joyful Olympic experience free from scandal, major glitches or significant mistakes.  I hope those remarkable facilities continue to host world competitions for decades to come and continue to bring prosperity to that region.  South Korea has done an outstanding job.  And the 2018 winter sports facilities give rise to the argument that the games deserve a  permanent home with the very best of facilities.  PeyngChang fits the bill.  Those venues deserved to see another winter games in the near future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trylon said:

And the 2018 winter sports facilities give rise to the argument that the games deserve a  permanent home with the very best of facilities.  PeyngChang fits the bill.  Those venues deserved to see another winter games in the near future.

I’m sure @Tulsa will give you a like for that one! :P