PyeongChang 2018 Venues

wFceTij.jpg

Not sure how much old is this picture but it seems to be from the Gangneug Olympic Park, i believe this is the current state of the constuction of the Ice cluster right now.

http://tip.daum.net/question/84689273 Taken from this article from earlier september. As usual, the tranlsation is not very accurate but kinda helps to understand.

I'm starting to get annoyed at the lack of english news for the updates related to Pyeongchang

I agree and I posted this before. Every host since I started visiting this website has had regular updates on the organization and venue construction. Even China. which is far from being a bastion of open government and freedom of the press had frequent updates on their games. Being open creates momentum, excitement and helps gather sponsors. It also gives us Olympic geeks something to talk about. Have a look at the Sochi thread and compare it to this thread at this stage of preparation, we had tonnes more updates.

Im afraid that PC will start to late in releasing its information and loose out on the momentum this can build with the public. It also says a lot about its organization abilities or lack there of.

^^ There wasn't also much news at all about the progress of both Incheon 2014 and Gwangju 2015 venues, but all of them were done smoothly and finished on time. However its always exciting to see how they are progressing with its construction, like all the recent olympic hosts so far.

^^ There wasn't also much news at all about the progress of both Incheon 2014 and Gwangju 2015 venues, but all of them were done smoothly and finished on time. However its always exciting to see how they are progressing with its construction, like all the recent olympic hosts so far.

Yea it's not news when construction for the Olympics is going smoothly and is on time. Hence why we're always seeing Rio in the news! :D

wFceTij.jpg

Not sure how much old is this picture but it seems to be from the Gangneug Olympic Park, i believe this is the current state of the constuction of the Ice cluster right now.

http://tip.daum.net/question/84689273 Taken from this article from earlier september. As usual, the tranlsation is not very accurate but kinda helps to understand.

I'm starting to get annoyed at the lack of english news for the updates related to Pyeongchang

Well the construction you see on Google Earth looks more advanced than that. And the Google Earth image date from August 2015. So this image is not up to date.

Edited by hektor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alpensia Ski Center Chosen as Venue for Big Air at Pyeongchang Olympics

The Alpensia Ski Jumping Center has been chosen as the venue for the snowboard big air event, added for the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

The Pyeongchang Olympics organizing committee said Thursday that committee chairman Cho Yang-ho reported the finalized venue for snowboard big air to the International Olympic Committee's executive board meeting held in Lausanne, Switzerland on Wednesday, and that the IOC board approved.

Cho explained during the meeting that the Alpensia Ski Jumping Center was chosen for the competition based on a comprehensive review of factors such as budget and public accessibility.

Big air is a sports discipline in which competitors ride a snowboard down a hill before launching off a huge jump stand to showcase techniques such as twists, flips and landing techniques.

The big air stadium at the Alpensia center will be built by partially using the audience seat section. It's expected to accommodate 95-hundred spectators combined with standing room.

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_Sp_detail.htm?No=115430

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we don't have to wait too long to see if the weather will be enough for the Olympics in 2018 because I just checked and the Alpine Skiing World Cup will be stopping by the Jeongseon Alpine Centre this coming February as a test event. The men's downhill and super-g event will be contested there February 6th and 7th. The amusing thing about the whole thing is that none of the women's events will be contested there. Instead, the women's downhill and super-g will be contested in Garmisch on the exact same days! That can't be a coincidence.

What's even more amusing is that Munich has been holding a city event, parallel slalom, around New Years day every year since 2011, yet it's been canceled 4 out of the six times, including the one coming up in a week lol. I find that so ironic and amusing considering that Munich supporters' biggest criticism about the Pyeonchang bid is the supposed lack of snow. Garmisch has also had to cancel regular alpine skiing events in 2014 due to lack of snow. So it should be interesting to see if either event ends up being canceled due to weather issues.

Some pics courtesy of Skyscrapercity:

Olympic Village

board_59980_13459_thumb.jpg

003.jpg

Alpensia Sliding Center
Photo from September 2015

73229349.1.jpg

board_59608_12995_thumb.jpg

board_59929_13398_thumb.jpg

Gangneung Ice Arena

Photo From May 2015

24065731415_91708d2669.jpg

img_facility09_01.png

Gangneung Oval

Photo from September 2014

23438995993_83aba259a9_z.jpg

img_facility08_01.png

Last but not least, aerial view of the Coastal Cluster so far (showing both the Ice Arena, Oval and Hockey Center progress)

Another video

They are building a couple of Olympic villages (coastal and mountain). There was a report about the kick-off of the construction of the Alpensia one a few months ago.

From the video the Gangneung Hockey Centre (main hockey venue) seems well advanced in its construction.

^^ Except they have two more years to have everything ready and judging by the pics, I think they're not wasting any time at all.

The venues are less impressive than Sochi, then again considering the insane amount of money they spent on those games, I think this is a good thing.

• Like 1

Not exactly a venue, but here's a news link from the POCOG website (dated 4 January):

POCOG officially opens “2018 PyeongChang House” in Gangneung home of the ice venues for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games

The 2018 PyeongChang House was designed with a winter snow theme and the colors and branding reflect the PyeongChang 2018 official emblem. The building is environmentally friendly and was fashioned out of recycled containers.

The House is laid out in five different sections comprising a main exhibition room where athlete models representing 11 winter sports disciplines will be displayed, a 4D experience room offering guests a virtual experience of winter sports, the entrance corridor that portrays the PyeongChang 2018 bid story, and a Wishing Tree area for guests to express their desires for the Games. The colorful Wishing Trees with eco-friendly LED lights and artwork balls will be installed inside and around the House to attract attention and engage fans.

board_60479_14057_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...