PyeongChang 2018 Venues

I'm sure Pyeongchang will have everything ready on time. My concern would be about what happens when the Olympics are done. While I don't expect a massive spending spree with no viable legacy like Sochi, the Koreans don't exactly have a great track record when it comes to preventing white elephants.

2002 World Cup - With the Olympic Stadium in Seoul less than 20 years old, rather an upgrade, they construct a new 60,000 soccer specific stadium.

1988 Olympics - Many of the venues such as the Fencing Arena, Gymnastics Arena, and the Weightlifting Arena see very little use.

2011 Asian Games - The Incheon World Cup stadium was built to accommodate an athletics track and seated over 50,000. The Koreans decide to construct a new 60,000 seat stadium for the Asian Games with temporary seating that would be removed and a 20,000 seat athletics stadium would remain. As of now, plans to remove the temporary seating are on hold indefinitely. Odds are the Incheon Asian Games Stadium will remain in its current state and be a huge white elephant.

Now for the Pyeongchang Olympics, Pyeongchang elected to disregard an IOC suggestion to move the sliding events to another country with a track. I can understand wanting a sliding track of their own, but realistically, when the Olympics are over, how much use is the thing actually going to get? The speed skating oval is going to be torn down after the Olympics. One of the hockey venues is supposed to be portable (I'll believe it when I see it, so were most of the Sochi indoor arenas). Finally, they're going to build a 50,000 seat stadium, albeit temporary, just for the ceremonies when the ski jump stadium could've worked just as well. I know the IOC had scheduling concerns but surely those could've been worked out.

The oddest thing is that when you do a Google Earth of Gangneung, next to the future skating venues, there is a reasonably large soccer stadium which could have been used for the ceremonies.

Edited by hektor

• 2 weeks later...

The oddest thing is that when you do a Google Earth of Gangneung, next to the future skating venues, there is a reasonably large soccer stadium which could have been used for the ceremonies.

Right...but then the event should be called Gangneung 2018 rather than PyeongChang. Apparently, the PC'ers paid for and muscled the bid...therefore they want a marquee event like the Opening Ceremony in PC proper. Can you imagine the confusion or all the explanations broadcasters would have to give if Gangeung actually hosted the Opening Ceremony? :blink: Not going to happen.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

PyeongChang 2018 Announces Venue Names for 2018 Games

7 April 2015

board_59360_12627.JPG

Seoul, April 7– The PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (POCOG) announced today that it has confirmed the names of Games-related facilities to be used for the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games in cooperation with the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

POCOG has undergone the process of incorporating opinions of stakeholders including Gangwon Province, Host and Venue cities as well as national sports federations, and finalized the names that are easy to recognize and friendly to both Korean/non-Korean speakers.

The announced names will be used during the Games-time, but it is also likely to be maintained after the Games as part of the Olympic Legacy.

In order to promote Gangneung as a leading location for ice sports in Asia, POCOG maintained consistency in the names of ice venues by putting ‘Gangneung’ in the names of all ice sports facilities.

Considering that PyeongChang and Jeongson are growing destination for winter leisure sports, POCOG utilized existing resort names for snow sports venues in PyeongChang. These resorts have already staged various world-class competitions.

The venue naming process gave an opportunity for POCOG to bring relevant stakeholders together to strengthen their cooperation as partners under the unified goal of successful hosting of the PyeongChang 2018 Games.

※ Venue Naming Process : Host and Venue Cities (Suggest Venue Names) → Gangwon Province (Consult and Deliberate) → POCOG (Discuss with the IOC and Confirm)

Following discussions with the IOC, PyeongChang 2018 confirmed the names for 20 Games-related facilities including 2 Clusters, 4 Precincts and 14 Venues.

upload20150407_072755_0287990.jpg

According to the IOC Master Schedule, POCOG is due to submit the names for Games-related facilities by the end of 2016. However, POCOG wishes to raise awareness of the Venues and actively promote the Games from the early stage by using the official venue names in publications, promotional events, etc.

Using the official venue names for the remaining three years, POCOG is also expecting that the brand of PyeongChang, Gangneung and Jeongseon will be enhanced and the tourist spots of Alpensia, Yongpyong and Bokwang will be promoted to the world.

POCOG President Yang-Ho CHO commented, “Just like the naming of the Games-related facilities, we will do our utmost effort to promote Host and Venue Cities and to create legacy for the post-games in all measures including the process of construction and operation of the venues.”

※ As for the names of Bokwang Snow Park(P,C), Bokwang Snow Park(P) is derived from the disciplines such as PGS, PSL while Bokwang Snow Park© is derived from the disciplines such as Half-pipe, Ski-Cross.

http://pyeongchang2018.com/horizon/eng/page/sub05/sub05_02.asp?hb_boardManager_ID=BDENAA01&hb_BoardItem_ID=59360&hb_Mode=readArticle

I find it confusing that four of the Ice venues are named after Gangneung. That defeats the point of giving them a name, since in real life people with name them after the event and forget about the name. The Sochi naming (Bolchoi, Shaiba, Iceberg...) made more sense.

Edited by hektor

I find it confusing that four of the Ice venues are named after Gangneung. That defeats the point of giving them a name, since in real life people with name them after the event and forget about the name. The Sochi naming (Bolchoi, Shaiba, Iceberg...) made more sense.

But maybe they have found that the post-Games effect of the Sochi naming has been sub-optimal, given that the venues aren't actually in the community of Sochi but many kilometres distant, on the outskirts of the very large City of Sochi. As Gangneung is also a long way from Pyeong Chang, maybe the local authorities have insisted on the inclusion of the town name to maximise legacy tourism benefits.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Hector. I looked this up on google earth. The Alpensia area doesn't seem to be updated recently because I don't see the construction of the bobsleigh track, which I believe is next to the ski slopes "behind" the ski jumps.

I also assume the location of the ceremonies stadium will be where the running track is near the little town, which seems like a tight location since there are what appear to be houses and other buildings close by.

Beijing,Vancouver, Sochi, London and now Rio had tons of photos and updates of their plans and construction of venues. It just seems odd that Pyeongchang doesn't. In a country as internet savvy as SK, you would think that someone in the area would be taking photos and posting them online lol.

Alpensia area has been updated on Google Earth, but for some reason the default setting is not the latest images. So you have to tick the clock of Google Earth which gives images along a time scale and take the latest ones.

The stadium location is provided on wikipedia.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought than PC will be the worst winter games ever but Beijing seems to be the worst now. 2 WoG in asia will kill the WOG.

I can't understand the support for these 2 cities. Athletes athletes have criticized these choices, for the environment it will be a disaster. Definitively IOC did the huge mistake in their history, probably nobody will want more WOG in Europe after that.

It's always a disaster for the environment to be honest......not just in Asia. Beijing will of course be hardest on nature....cuz there aren't all the democratic tools in place but South Korea is going to be great and as responsible as the US or Europe, Koreans care about the environment and doing the right thing.

I am soooooooo looking forward to SK.....it's gonna be super fun and not the same old same old.

I think the Games will look a lot like Vancouver and Sochi. Ice events at sea level and snow events in the mountain. I am a bit surprised by the lack of information, having to look at Google Earth to figure out the venue plan. The temporary stadium will remind me of Albertville. I think that Beijing is kind of an accident. Too bad Harbin was not the bid city.

I think the Games will look a lot like Vancouver and Sochi. Ice events at sea level and snow events in the mountain. I am a bit surprised by the lack of information, having to look at Google Earth to figure out the venue plan. The temporary stadium will remind me of Albertville. I think that Beijing is kind of an accident. Too bad Harbin was not the bid city.

I know I think if it was a Harbin vs Almaty bid, there would be no denying that most of us would probably have picked the Harbin bid over Almaty. Harbin and the surrounding area does have experience hosting winter events, the area has hosted two Asian Winter Games. And they have facilities in place for most of the indoor events, and if they needed to build new ones they wouldn't go to waste so easily. The only main disadvantage I could see of a Harbin bid is its proximity to Pyeongchang. It's only about 800 miles difference. But I don't feel that should be something to work against a Harbin bid. Besides, who in their right mind would say no to a WOGs being held when this is going on???

harbin-ice-and-snow-festival-2972179-png

It's always a disaster for the environment to be honest......not just in Asia. Beijing will of course be hardest on nature....cuz there aren't all the democratic tools in place but South Korea is going to be great and as responsible as the US or Europe, Koreans care about the environment and doing the right thing.

I am soooooooo looking forward to SK.....it's gonna be super fun and not the same old same old.

In Europe you can avoid an environment disaster because all the venues are ready, you don't need to destroy forests and you don't need 80% or 100% of artificial snow to host snow events like in China and Korea.

To build the Alpine track, Korea will destroy a national forest, moreover they have a huge lack of natural snow like in China... It's totally crazy to go there. Moreover they don't have knowledge to host snow sport events, it will be a bad show and probably dangerous for athletes like Sotchi for acrobatic ski.

Now IOC prefers give WOG to dictature and countries whom spend the most money possible to host the games... At the beginning WOG should be for the athletes now it's only for national prestige and business man... Really I think IOC has killed WOG, and probably some others major events in Europe and North America will become more famous and more interesting for public and athletes than WOG.

All the Alpine countries refuse systematically to bid, Nordic countries is the same, maybe only North america could be interesting but when you see Boston Story, I have a doubt for the futur and 2026...

@Tulsa

i kinda agree the IOC and some recent and future hosts' politics/attitudes and corruption has pretty much ruined the whole vibe i was getting several years ago, but i don’t agree that only old established venues in classic winter european resorts have value. at some point in the past those same classic european locations decided it was worthwhile to (as you say) ‘destroy forests’ to construct those venues because they felt it was beneficial to invest in their peoples ability to practice and grow those sports. it's the same for SK now. it's not like SK is a summer-only place, there is a strong winter climate and they have the desire and right to develop an extremely tiny percentage of their vast natural resources. their new venues that will bring many more people closer to nature which will only enhance their appreciation for the natural environment.

…there’s likely some developers and politicians benefiting from the construction and all but it’s nothing like the corruption and scandal we see in Brazil, China and Russia.

...at least not yet!

• 2 weeks later...

@Tulsa

i kinda agree the IOC and some recent and future hosts' politics/attitudes and corruption has pretty much ruined the whole vibe i was getting several years ago, but i don’t agree that only old established venues in classic winter european resorts have value. at some point in the past those same classic european locations decided it was worthwhile to (as you say) ‘destroy forests’ to construct those venues because they felt it was beneficial to invest in their peoples ability to practice and grow those sports. it's the same for SK now. it's not like SK is a summer-only place, there is a strong winter climate and they have the desire and right to develop an extremely tiny percentage of their vast natural resources. their new venues that will bring many more people closer to nature which will only enhance their appreciation for the natural environment.

…there’s likely some developers and politicians benefiting from the construction and all but it’s nothing like the corruption and scandal we see in Brazil, China and Russia.

...at least not yet!

Europeans did some mistakes too, but it was a long time ago... The opinion has changed since the 60's, 70's, 80's about environment. It's the reason why everytime public opinion is against WOG.

I'm sure China and SK don't have the level to host in good conditions WOG, they don't have enough snow and they don't have enough knowledge and experience with snow events.

These countries aren't ready for WOG.

• 1 month later...

wFceTij.jpg

Not sure how much old is this picture but it seems to be from the Gangneug Olympic Park, i believe this is the current state of the constuction of the Ice cluster right now.

http://tip.daum.net/question/84689273 Taken from this article from earlier september. As usual, the tranlsation is not very accurate but kinda helps to understand.

Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium has not yet Corporation.

Pyeongchang Winter Olympics organizing committee has revealed that the 10 004-seat stadium up to 5000 "in April 2016 at the latest construction plans to be completed in September 2017".
This geotinde that completed the main Olympic stadium in about one year and four months (17 months), experts say, `` would take at least 30 months.
This Pyeongchang organizers' turnkey `` When ordering method can shorten the construction period and can meet the deadline if progress until night, Ltd. "is the position.
In addition, it said, "If you proceed overnight construction costs rise construction is completed as planned, but can not help is available."
Domestic four fully booked over the construction stadium within 20 months of the massive stadium did not have a single one, `Incheon Asiad week if the stadium` the construction period of 36 months, Pyeongchang week that goes turnkey, such as stadium `Daegu Samsung Lions Park ' If the same were spent 27 months.
But Pyeongchang organizers' proceed to project completion in 2016 from the second half of 2017, gaepyehoesik is going to stand the test event there is a problem.
- Olympic Stadium (Pyeongchang hoenggyeri) - 2016.4 - 2017.9 (1 year 4 months) completed

I'm starting to get annoyed at the lack of english news for the updates related to Pyeongchang