PyeongChang 2018 Venues

IOC: 12 alternate sites for 2018 sliding venue

MONACO (AP) -- A dozen different bobsled and luge tracks around the world could step in to host events for the 2018 Winter Games if the sliding venue is moved out of South Korea, Olympic officials said Sunday.

International Olympic Committee officials said they remain in talks with organizers of the Pyeongchang Games about relocating the sliding sports to another country to save money and avoid leaving South Korea with a venue that has little after use.

The move was requested by the IOC as part of new cost-cutting reforms. Pyeongchang organizers said Saturday they are opposed to a switch, especially since construction on the venue has already started.

''It's their decision in the end,'' Gunilla Lindberg, a Swedish IOC executive board member who heads the coordination commission for the Pyeongchang Games, told The Associated Press. ''But at least we're going to help them identify where the sliding centers are, where the options are. In the end, they stay in Pyeongchang or they take this great opportunity.''

Lindberg said the IOC has set a March deadline for a decision.

The IOC meets on Monday and Tuesday to vote on Bach's ''Olympic Agenda 2020'' reform package. The recommendations allow for events to be held outside a host country ''in exceptional cases, notably for reasons of sustainability.''

''If there are viable alternatives (to Pyeongchang) which might make sense from the sustainability standpoint, then you have to look into the matter,'' Christophe Dubi, the IOC's executive director for the Olympic Games, told the AP.

According to the IOC, relocating the bob, luge and skeleton events would save $120 million in construction costs and $3-5 million in yearly maintenance costs.

''This is a perfect example of how you can reduce cost,'' Lindberg said. ''You really have to look at the legacy of a sliding center - will you use it afterwards? Because that's where the costs come in. It's very expensive to keep it.''

Lindberg noted that the $100 million luge and bobsled track built for the 2006 Turin Games has been dismantled because of high operating costs.

A dozen sliding venues operate in Asia, Europe and North America.

''Next week we will send them the list of the 12,'' Lindberg said. '' Some of them you can go and have an Olympic competition tomorrow. It's not that difficult.''

Shin Mu-chol, communications director for Pyeongchang's organizing committee, defended the current plans in Korea.

''Should the IOC make an official offer about moving the events, the committee will show the IOC that we have plans for the long-term use of the venues we are building,'' he said. ''It is difficult for us to move events out of the country.''

One option is Nagano, Japan, which hosted the 1998 Winter Games. That could be difficult politically in view of the difficult relations between two countries and their wartime history.

''After this assembly, if everything is passed, if they wish, I will be happy to discuss with Nagano,'' Tsunekazu Takeda, head of Japan's Olympic committee, told the AP.

Other sliding tracks could be used in Europe or North America. The U.S. has existing venues in the former host cities of Lake Placid and Salt Lake City, while Canada has former Olympic venues in Whistler and Calgary.

There has been a precedent for holding events outside the host country. Because of quarantine laws in Australia, the equestrian competition for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics was held in Stockholm. Equestrian events were held in Hong Kong during the 2008 Beijing Games.

AP

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ioc-12-alternate-sites-2018-sliding-venue-203224417--oly.html

I find it a slap in the face that the IOC will demand that construction on the PC sliding venue halt to have it moved elsewhere. They need to let PC be and focus on trying to cut costs on games that have yet to be decided rather than demand PC and Tokyo to make changes just because they finally now understand that cuts have to happen. If PC wants to keep building their sliding venue then whatever the financial loss is will be on their hands not the IOC's. And if PC does decide to keep it, they can always use the tracks as a temporary graffiti exhibit and skateboarding park until they need to renovate it for future bobsledding, luge and skeleton events just like Sarajevo's track :wacko:

03b040b253f9d2942c04e5b1b77ab569.jpg

http://mic.com/articles/82331/haunting-photos-of-sarajevo-s-abandoned-luge-and-bobsled-track-30-years-later

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/sarajevo-olympic-bobsleigh-track-to-be-restored/article6281612.ece

The Bobsled and Luge federations released a brief and not particularly illuminating joint statement:

http://www.fibt.com/news/latest-news/news-article/news/5488.html?backUrl=home.html

Gotta figure it would be incredibly disappointing for the athletes if the sliding events were held elsewhere. Nagano would at least preserve a bit of the special event feel, since it's almost never used for World Cup events.

.......that looks like major work already done not to mention the design and planning phases already completed likely at enourmous cost. contracts are obviously in place........just how the **** do you just stop the process and fire everybody.........just to help the ioc look like they care about saving money now that everybody thinks they are a bunch of freeloading douches.

They have a contractor already. It is Daelim. Imagine what they would have to pay the contractor to cancel the work, plus probably the cost of putting back the grounds in their original state. I definitely think this move by the IOC is very odd, especially making the thing public without it seems much discussion with the OC, the Gangwon province, and the IFs beforehand.

Daelim Bags Bobsleigh Track Construction Contract

Edited by hektor

I read there's some friction between POCOG/the province and the Korean government over funding issues. Could it be the IOC has looked at this at the private request of the government? Just a thought.

There is and the 2015 Universiade in Gwanju is also struggling financially. However I believe this is just an exercise by the IOC to make themselves look good, willing to adapt, when in reality nothing will likely come out of this.

• Like 1

I think it's sort of insane to think PyeongChang can cancel their sledding track. Perhaps it would make sense to host it in Nagano had that always been the plan, but I don't see the organizers shelving those plans after construction has started. I also don't see Korea wanting to share their second big international sporting event in a row with Japan.

As for hosting it anywhere but Nagano or PyeongChang... seriously, that's just insanity. IMO this is just a PR stunt from the IOC. Where it would make sense for Bobsleigh to be held in another country would be something like Are, Salzbourg, Krakow or Quebec City hosting.

Edited by Fox334

I think it's sort of insane to think PyeongChang can cancel their sledding track. Perhaps it would make sense to host it in Nagano had that always been the plan, but I don't see the organizers shelving those plans after construction has started. I also don't see Korea wanting to share their second big international sporting event in a row with Japan.

As for hosting it anywhere but Nagano or PyeongChang... seriously, that's just insanity. IMO this is just a PR stunt from the IOC. Where it would make sense for Bobsleigh to be held in another country would be something like Are, Salzbourg, Krakow or Quebec City hosting.

Well, if it's in Pyong Yang, at least they'll share the first name. So printing savings there!! :lol:

Well, how far is Yankijaingkyu (or whatever the Chinese mountain site is for 2022)? Maybe China can build that sliding course quick and let PyongYnag-Chang 2018 use it???

Quebec City could have it in Calgary. But I guess Lake Placid makes sense too.

I see this as just a lot of lip service by the IOC. Time will tell to see if anything comes of this. Moving the sliding events to existing facilities makes a lot of sense in practice, because there is just no way most countries can justify such a facility. Korea claims that it will become an important training facility in the future, but Nagano's track hasn't done anything to boost up Japan's performance, and its not even used on any of the World Cup circuits. There's no doubt in my mind that PC's track will be a waste too. All of this being said, seeing as construction has already begun and Korea is well on there way to hosting, it might be a bit unfair for the IOC and IF's to do this. I say wait until 2022 because it's a great idea theoretically, but if it happens right now it looks like nothing more than the IOC trying to cover their ass.

Quebec City could have it in Calgary. But I guess Lake Placid makes sense too.

I see this as just a lot of lip service by the IOC. Time will tell to see if anything comes of this. Moving the sliding events to existing facilities makes a lot of sense in practice, because there is just no way most countries can justify such a facility. Korea claims that it will become an important training facility in the future, but Nagano's track hasn't done anything to boost up Japan's performance, and its not even used on any of the World Cup circuits. There's no doubt in my mind that PC's track will be a waste too. All of this being said, seeing as construction has already begun and Korea is well on there way to hosting, it might be a bit unfair for the IOC and IF's to do this. I say wait until 2022 because it's a great idea theoretically, but if it happens right now it looks like nothing more than the IOC trying to cover their ass.

My personal guess is that Quebec City would only want to ship the speed alpine events elsewhere, since that has always been their biggest roadblock to hosting. They had previously toyed with the idea of having a bid with Lake Placid as the alpine venue but didn't go through with it because they didn't think the IOC would approve.

But of course I'm sure they would at least loot at either Calgary of Lake Placid as a venue for the sliding sports, too.

Edited by Fox334

My personal guess is that Quebec City would only want to ship the speed alpine events elsewhere, since that has always been their biggest roadblock to hosting. They had previously toyed with the idea of having a bid with Lake Placid as the alpine venue but didn't go through with it because they didn't think the IOC would approve.

But of course I'm sure they would at least loot at either Calgary of Lake Placid as a venue for the sliding sports, too.

This announcement actually bodes very well for a Quebec City bid. And the best part is that only men's downhill needs to go to Lake Placid. Everything else can be held at Le Massif or other hills. They could even build a sliding track in Quebec and have it replace the aging Lake Placid track as the Eastern NA training centre,

Maybe a way for the IOC to make the investment worthwhile would be to ask the 2022 winner whatever it is to use the Alpensia/PyeongChang track ?

Then it would be guaranteed to be used at least twice.

Edited by hektor

Maybe a way for the IOC to make the investment worthwhile would be to ask the 2022 winner whatever it is to use the Alpensia/PyeongChang track ?

Then it would be guaranteed to be used at least twice.

I doubt either China or Kazakhstan is very interested in sharing any events they don't absolutely have to share. Not to mention the distances would still be an issue (especially if Almaty wins).

IMO using existing venues in neighbouring countries is something only Western democracies will really be interested in doing. Also, even *if* Almaty wins and want to use an existing track I feel they would prefer to use Paramonovo or Sanki anyway, due to closer cultural ties and a shorter flight.

Edited by Fox334

It's interesting that the IOC would suggest moving the sliding events completely out of the country to avoid a $120 million white elephant that the Koreans at least say that they want, while there's no evidence of a similar suggestion regarding the relocation of speed skating from Gangneung, where they've declared an intent to demolish the $107 million facility after the Games, just a couple hours away to Seoul, where they have an existing facility.

It's interesting that the IOC would suggest moving the sliding events completely out of the country to avoid a $120 million white elephant that the Koreans at least say that they want, while there's no evidence of a similar suggestion regarding the relocation of speed skating from Gangneung, where they've declared an intent to demolish the $107 million facility after the Games, just a couple hours away to Seoul, where they have an existing facility.

A facility that also has the advantage of being in the same country, which avoids much of the political issues.

But does that facility in Seoul seat like 7,500 people and are there support facilities for the media there as well? They might also have to have an auxiliary village in Seoul for the speedskaters.

I'm trying to find some info on the venue, and all I got back was that the facility was used recently for the speed skating world cup, and it seems like it's a multi-purpose exhibition center and not a permanent speed skating arena.