PyeongChang 2018 Venues

• 1 month later...
Celebrations as construction of Pyeongchang 2018 ice venues begins
Almost 1,000 people have gathered to celebrate construction starting on the ice venues that will host competition at the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games

A colourful fireworks display greeted the key milestone for five Games venues.

Today's ground-breaking ceremony was attended by representatives of Gangwon Province, the Pyeongchang 2018 Organising Committee, and members of the Culture, Sports and Tourism Ministry.

Work is being carried out at the Gangneung Sports Complex, which is already home to a number of sporting venues.

One of those is an ice rink that will be refurbished into a curling venue as part of the construction project.

A venue for figure and short track skating is also being built, as well as two ice hockey venues, known as ice hockey I and II, which will also host ice sledge hockey during the Paralympics

These four venues, as well as an arena for long track speed skating, are scheduled to be completed by October 2016 to allow for test events during the winter of 2016-17.

The whole construction project of the ice venues, comprising a 649,000 square metre area, is estimated at $425 million (£248 million/€314 million).

There are just over 1,300 days to go until the 2018 Winter Olympics begin on February 9, with the Closing Ceremony on February 25.

The Winter Paralympics are scheduled to run from March 9 to 18.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2018/1021366-celebrations-as-construction-of-pyeongchang-2018-ice-venues-begins

• 3 months later...

Ground to be broken on new Pyeongchang 2018 speed skating rink

Ground is due to be broken by the end of the month, according to organisers at Pyeongchang 2018, as the last of six new venues finally gets underway. There had been considerable debate involving the 8,000-seater speed skating rink, which is expected to cost KRW₩131.1 billion ($107.4 million/£70 million), whether to use it as a water park after the end of the Olympics. Organisers have now revealed the 8,000-seat rink will be demolished come the end of the Olympics as it is more economical to do this rather than provide follow-up management, according to reports from South Korea

Establishing a strong winter sport tradition is South Korea is not "nothing".

. Organisers have now revealed the 8,000-seat rink will be demolished come the end of the Olympics as it is more economical to do this rather than provide follow-up management, according to reports from South Korea

Houston Lausanne, we have a problem.

Ground to be broken on new Pyeongchang 2018 speed skating rink

Ground is due to be broken by the end of the month, according to organisers at Pyeongchang 2018, as the last of six new venues finally gets underway. There had been considerable debate involving the 8,000-seater speed skating rink, which is expected to cost KRW₩131.1 billion ($107.4 million/£70 million), whether to use it as a water park after the end of the Olympics. Organisers have now revealed the 8,000-seat rink will be demolished come the end of the Olympics as it is more economical to do this rather than provide follow-up management, according to reports from South Korea

Dear god this is disapointing.

Oh so obvious that the IOC made the right choice three years ago!

(Bitter? Me, a Munich resident? No way!)

It's a good thing Munich is the heavy favourite in 2022. It's one of those things where I'm sure the IOC was convinced Munich would bid again. Hingsight being 20/20 that might have been a bit of a mistake.

I have an feeling that the PyeongChang South Korea 2018 Winter Games will be the worst winter games ever and the lowest turn out games ever.

TBH if nothing else they seem like Nagano 2.0. Not terrible, just not particularely exciting.

Edited by Fox334

Could the simple fact that they are both in Asia have anything to do with them being labelled "Nagano 2.0" - pretty simplistic comparison if you ask me - its like comparing Calgary to Lake Placid on the basis of them both being on the same continent and having relatively similar cultures. Like Calgary, Nagano is a mid sized city. Like Lake Placid, PyeongChang is a small village host supported by a larger region (Gangneung and Albany/Upstate NY)

In both cases, the similarity ends there. People seem very quick to dismiss the chances of PyeongChang before they've even hosted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear god this is disapointing.

Yeah, it is, I hope they change plans, can't they disassemble it and move it to I don't know, Muju? They are going to move Ice Hockey 1 to Wonju after the games. The Speed Skating venue looks beautiful too.

Can someone post a pic of ghe actual Speed Skating venue design? I've seen 3 and I don't know which one it is.

Yeah, it is, I hope they change plans, can't they disassemble it and move it to I don't know, Muju? They are going to move Ice Hockey 1 to Wonju after the games. The Speed Skating venue looks beautiful too.

Can someone post a pic of ghe actual Speed Skating venue design? I've seen 3 and I don't know which one it is.

From the website:

board_56316_10333.jpg

(Source: http://pyeongchang2018.com/horizon/eng/page/sub05/sub05_06_01.asp?hb_BoardManager_ID=BDGGAA13#bottom)

Speaking of the website, why the heck is the French language icon the Facebook logo??? It's even got the flipping color scheme the same (or at least about the same). :blink:

The website is looking okay at integrating the logo colors in (though, I was expecting more stick pictograms rather than colored circles)

• 4 weeks later...

AP Source: IOC wants sliding events out of SKorea

MONACO (AP) -- The International Olympic Committee is urging South Korean organizers of the 2018 Winter Games to move bobsled and luge events to another country to save money, according to an IOC official with knowledge of the situation.

The IOC asked the South Koreans to halt construction of a new sliding venue for the Pyeongchang Games and agree to relocate the events to an existing venue in Asia, Europe or North America, the official told The Associated Press on Saturday.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the request has not been made public.

The move would save $120 million in construction costs and $3-5 million in annual maintenance costs, and is in line with IOC President Thomas Bach's cost-cutting reforms, the official said.

The international federations for bobsled and luge are aware of the request and in agreement, the official said.

Korean organizers have so far resisted the IOC's push and continued to build their venue for the sliding events, which also includes skeleton, contending that the facility is important for Korean athletes, is sustainable, and will have a long-term use, the official said.

One option for relocating the event is Nagano, Japan, which hosted the 1998 Winter Games. But the official stressed the venue does not have to be in Asia, listing Europe and North America as other possibilities.

The U.S. has existing venues in the former host cities of Lake Placid and Salt Lake City, while Canada has former Olympic venues in Whistler and Calgary.

The IOC official said the request to the Koreans was made in the past few weeks. A solution could be reached when IOC officials travel to Pyeongchang in January for a review of Olympic preparations

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bach-venue-changes-possible-2018-2020-games-130424771--oly.html

Why would the Bobsled and Luge federations agree to this?

The IOC may have given them an ultimatum that it's either this or the sport is cut. Maybe the IOC isn't as stupid as we thought.

Faced with a legitimate threat of being cut, any federation will ultimately agree to what they need to to avoid that result. But, is that what these sports are up against? Where would such a threat have come from? Could the organization that couldn't cut Modern Pentathalon really have been threatening to cut two sports three years before a Games that had already been awarded? Beyond that, if this article's source is to be believed, it isn't Korea asking that these events be moved. Why would the IOC itself be making such a threat? Certainly, there could be some behind the scenes pressure on these sports and suggestions that their continued placement on the program would be more likely over the long-term if they show some flexibility. But, that seems a pretty big sacrifice to make in the absence of a clear ultimatum, effectively conceding their sports to something akin to "non-core" status such that no future host should ever have to make accommodation for a sliding tract.

Why would the Bobsled and Luge federations agree to this?

Because they know long term that this is in their interests if they want to stay in the games? That considering the track record of recent new ice runs, it's not like they leave much legacy anyway? That it would be a really, really good concrete example by the IOC that it is serious in addressing the concerns of gigantism?

Very sensible idea. I really hope the Koreans agree,

Not sure if I agree with putting the events on another continent. Even moving them to Japan cuts off the athletes, fans etc. Not sure I like the idea, but anything that saves money is worth a look at.

This also raises the question, will the IOC ask future bidders to not build a sliding track, when there is one within a reasonably distance?

Gotta feel a bit sorry for the Koreans. Every time they land one of the big two events, they get forced to share it. They were forced by the IOC to offer events in 1988 to North Korea (though in fairness, that was probably a ploy - they all expected the then Supeeme Leader Kim would get greedy and demand too much), then FIFA twists their arms to co-host 2002, and now (if this us correct) the old déjà vu again.

Not sure if I agree with putting the events on another continent. Even moving them to Japan cuts off the athletes, fans etc. Not sure I like the idea, but anything that saves money is worth a look at.

This also raises the question, will the IOC ask future bidders to not build a sliding track, when there is one within a reasonably distance?

If it's really the IOC that wants to prevent Korea from completing a sliding track, then, really, it shouldn't want Beijing or Almaty to construct one either (or Stockholm, Krakow, etc.). The practical result of a move like this is that bobsled, luge and skeleton will no longer be integral to the OWG, except when the Games are held in a prior host city with working track. Those sports' federations couldn't possibly be willing to lay down for that. One wonders if it's the Koreans themselves that want to jettison these sports and that the part of this story that says the Koreans are against the move was leaked falsely just to allow the Koreans to save face.

Am I the only one who's starting to somewhat regret Munich wasn't picked back in 2011? Things like this are what making me lose my faith in S.Korea capacity to host the games. And like Stefan said, it's even more ironic considering Munich had plenty of sliding tracks. Imagine all the problems which could had been saved. I guess this is the price you pay for the "new horizons" thing.

Am I the only one who's starting to somewhat regret Munich wasn't picked back in 2011? Things like this are what making me lose my faith in S.Korea capacity to host the games. And like Stefan said, it's even more ironic considering Munich had plenty of sliding tracks. Imagine all the problems which could had been saved. I guess this is the price you pay for the "new horizons" thing.

Hindsight is 20/20.

The IOC rewarded a three time bidder over going back to Europe for the second time in a row. You can't deny that it was PC's turn. Still think they were the best choice, and to be honest I theyre a sacrificial lamb. PC is a problem, but it is not the biggest problem. Where were these people during Sochi's excesses?

It would be very humiliating for Korea if these events go to Nagano. I would like to see how this will end up.

Is it really what the IOC wants or is it a way to put pressure on the Koreans to guarantee that the money is provided ?

It would be very humiliating for Korea if these events go to Nagano. I would like to see how this will end up.

Is it really what the IOC wants or is it a way to put pressure on the Koreans to guarantee that the money is provided ?

Yeah, if the sliding events are not in PC, it would be most insensitive to give them to Japan, considering the Japanese-Korean history.

I'm not saying it wasn't PC's turn in 2018 btw, but already back in 2011 it was obvious that Munich was the more sustainable choice, if the IOC had really wanted that as they always pretended to claim (and which they already so heavily ignored when choosing Sochi).